San Francisco has had enough. Thecitys mayor recently declared that the reign of criminals who are destroying our city, it is time for it to come to an end, and she promised to take the steps to be more aggressive with law enforcement.
Her get-tough pledge is, of course, shameless if only there had been a municipal leader who could have done something before now! but when wokeness has lost the mayor of San Francisco, it has a public-relations problem.
Following electoral defeats in Virginia, and facing a likely wipeout in next years midterm elections, many Democrats are scrambling away from identity politics. From crime to education to the workplace, it poisons everything, and Americans are sick of it.
Thus, we may hope that Scott McConnell is correct in predicting that wokeness will be rolled back, its practitioners and cultural preferences first widely mocked and then ignored, its victims rehabilitated and in some cases honored. But we should not be too sure; even if wokeness is politically toxic now, it might nonetheless win in the long run.
Identity politics likely resilience was highlighted in a response by Ed West as well as in a Reason article by Greg Lukianoff chronicling how the first wave of political correctness in the 1990s persisted despite its unpopularity. Put simply, identity politics holds power in key institutions, especially in tech, academia, education, the media, and Big Business. While voter anger might spook politicians on issues such as crime, wokeness in all its forms will be hard to root out of its institutional fortresses.
Thus, identity politics will remain as a powerful force in American life even if Democratic politicians avoid and downplay its more unpopular ideas (and they arent all giving up yet). Like a weed, snicking the head off wokeness will not kill it. Unless it is actively uprooted, wokeness will continue to embed itself within powerful institutions, just as it was doing before it broke into public view over the last few years.
Thus, defeating wokeness will require more than ballot-box triumphs. The campaign against it will be long and must be sustained at multiple levels of government. To win, the conservative movement will need leaders who will persevere until leftist strongholds are reformed. We will also need bureaucratic knife-fighters who can grind through the trench warfare of administrative law.
Otherwise, wokeness will advance even if Democratic politicians disavow its most destructive ideas. After all, identity politics is now big money, offering jobs, jobs, jobs for the boys (and girls, and non-binary they/them/theirs). There is an entire industry of well-paid diversity, equity, and inclusion experts and consultants.
College administrators are making six figures to push wokeness on campus, and they are not going away just because some Democrats sidle away from critical race theory after losing a few elections. And in the long run, controlling the Ivy League and Silicon Valley may matter more than controlling Congress.
But Congress has a say, if it is willing to act. Wokeness is parasitic, subsisting largely on government time and the taxpayers dime. Thus, to defeat identity politics, we must defund it.
The GOP has regularly failed at this, even when government money is going to groups that use it to undermine conservatism and shill for Democrats. This must change, and identity politics must be made into a liability, rather than a status symbol and career enhancer. If wokeness is the job, the position should be eliminated. If wokeness is not part of the job, then those who make it part of the job should be fired.
The legal tools to do this are available because wokeness is racist, misogynist, and religiously bigoted, and therefore frequently in violation of federal civil rights laws. What is needed is the political will and perseverance to excise wokeness from government and from private companies and organizations that depend on the government. Put simply, woke bigots engaged in discrimination shouldnt be employed by the government or get government contracts.
There are many obvious cases of woke abuse, such as teachers and school administrators organizing racially segregated events and classrooms, or grooming a preteen girl into transgenderism without even telling her parents. In such cases, teachers and administrators should be fired and possibly prosecuted and the school district should be sued into oblivion. Wokeness is an elite affectation that will struggle in front of a jury of ordinary Americans.
Politically, there is much to do. For instance, Republicans must recognize that wokeness is a national security vulnerability, so they must prioritize cleansing the military of woke apparatchiks who care more about winning diversity plaudits than winning wars.
Likewise, the next Republican president should have the Department of Justice relentlessly pursue legal action against woke violators of civil rights law. The next Republican secretary of rducation should reverse the perversion of civil rights laws that Biden is using to treat racial discrimination as anti-racist and to refuse to protect women against men pretending to be women.
State legislatures should cut university funding for woke initiatives and positions, and they should prohibit the use of ideological diversity statements in faculty hiring. Parents should take back control of local school boards and clean house, dumping administrators and teachers who have abandoned excellence and equality for identity and equity.
Conservatives need skilled leadership to accomplish these and other measures against identity politics. At the national level, we should look for a presidential candidate who can run an effective administration, rather than one who excels at annoying the woke on Twitter. In the meantime, there are victories available at the state and local levels. We will not win everywhere San Francisco may crack down on crime, but it is unlikely to totally abandon wokeness but we can win in a lot of places.
What is essential is turning the electoral backlash against wokeness into effective action in government. The way to beat wokeness is to defund it, and so we need to choose savvy leaders who will act, rather than just bluster.
Nathanael Blake is a senior contributor to The Federalist and a postdoctoral fellow at the Ethics and Public Policy Center.
See more here:
- The growing attacks on cops and other commentary - New York Post - May 11th, 2022
- 30 Helens Agree Amazons Kids in the Hall Revival Is Hilarious: Review - Consequence - May 11th, 2022
- Parents are 'sleeping giants' who will fix American education - Fox News - May 11th, 2022
- Abortions and the pendulum - Kathimerini English Edition - May 11th, 2022
- Labour may think its moving on, but working-class voters arent following - The Guardian - May 11th, 2022
- Grace Hyland says she 'hates' being politicised as the transgender community is 'the antithesis of a political issue' - 9Honey - May 11th, 2022
- The Cathedral Vs. The Orthodox Church - The American Conservative - May 11th, 2022
- Chadar At Ajmer Sharif And Praises On Prithviraj Chauhan Cannot Go Hand-In-Hand; Chishti Blessed Ghori To Defeat Prithviraj, As Per His Biography -... - May 11th, 2022
- The Name "Indian" and Political Correctness | HuffPost ... - May 3rd, 2022
- PCU (film) - Wikipedia - May 3rd, 2022
- Reading between the lines of "1984" in 2022 | Opinion | morgancountycitizen.com - Morgan County Citizen - May 3rd, 2022
- Why 2022 is the worst year for anniversaries - TheArticle - May 3rd, 2022
- ITV DI Ray fans left divided about show but all in agreement on one thing - Birmingham Live - May 3rd, 2022
- Republicans making critical gains among Hispanic and non-White voters ahead of 2022 election - Washington Times - May 3rd, 2022
- Bell: Kenney government wants hands off old John A. - Calgary Sun - May 3rd, 2022
- Parapsychologists, sects and secret services: Remembering the most tense chess game in history - EL PAS in English - May 3rd, 2022
- Austin Powers: 10 things you didn't know about the landmark '90s comedy - Tilt Magazine - May 3rd, 2022
- Kerr: GOP's 'stokeism' is replacing substance with the surreal - Seacoastonline.com - May 3rd, 2022
- POTUS Broadway Review: The President Cant Be Held Responsible for This Mess - Yahoo Entertainment - May 3rd, 2022
- Letter To The Editor: A Response to the OpEd 3/21 The Reed College Quest - The Reed College Quest - April 15th, 2022
- Bill Maher's #Adulting and Comedians' Obsession With Haters - TIME - April 15th, 2022
- Replacing Human Rights Act will weaken protections, say peers and MPs - The Guardian - April 15th, 2022
- Elon Musk, Twitter, and the Politics of Disruption - The Bulwark - April 15th, 2022
- Slave Coin Or Freedom Coin: Which Way Western Man? - Bitcoin Magazine - April 15th, 2022
- Another Trump hate rally: The threats get worse, and polite America turns away - Salon - April 15th, 2022
- Comedy Is More Dangerous Because Of Will Smith: DL Hughley Weighs In On The Consequences Of The Slap (Video) - Radio Facts - April 15th, 2022
- Oingo Boingo little Girls Song Controversy, Meaning Of Little Girls And Still The Creepiest Music Video Of All Time? - The Current - April 15th, 2022
- Seth McFarlane's 'Ted' Series Announces Its Main Cast - We Got This Covered - April 15th, 2022
- The abortion culture and atrocity in Ukraine - The Christian Post - April 15th, 2022
- No, Russian artists have not been cancelled - The Indian Express - April 15th, 2022
- S N Balagangadhara Interview Part IV: There Is Intellectual Poverty In Islamised Regions; India May Be Headed The Same Way If It Does Not Watch Out. -... - April 15th, 2022
- The Problem with Political Correctness Life Lessons - April 9th, 2022
- Has political correctness gone too far? | The Economist - April 9th, 2022
- 'Politically Correct': The Phrase Has Gone From Wisdom To ... - April 9th, 2022
- Political Correctness Run Amok - The Post & Email - April 9th, 2022
- Is Real Time with Bill Maher new tonight, April 8? - Last Night On - April 9th, 2022
- The futility of framing one another as progressives and evangelicals, devils and dummies - Baptist News Global - April 9th, 2022
- "The Real World of College: What Higher Education Is and What It Can Be" - Public Radio Tulsa - April 9th, 2022
- Oreos Gone Woke: Is Nothing Off Limits to LGBT Left? - Daily Signal - April 9th, 2022
- Political Correctness - Munk Debates - April 6th, 2022
- Today's letters: Readers comment on the one-party system and school lunches - Daily Commercial - April 6th, 2022
- The Oral History of PCU, the Culture Wars Cult Classic - VICE - April 6th, 2022
- So-Called Cancel Culture Is a Vacant Concept, So It Can Be Turned Back Against the Culture Warriors - Justia Verdict - April 6th, 2022
- Ideology and Disunion - The American Conservative - April 6th, 2022
- Hungarian media freedom is alive and well - Washington Examiner - April 6th, 2022
- PR News | Earth to Jeff: There's Trouble Brewing - Wed., Apr. 6, 2022 - O'Dwyer's PR News - April 6th, 2022
- Why does Twitter think Russian lies are OK but Trump isn't? - The Spectator - April 6th, 2022
- The Saints goal that counted... for the opposition! The odd tale of Brian Walsh - St Kilda FC - April 6th, 2022
- Republican U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson, running for a third term, expects education issues to motivate voters in the fall - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - April 6th, 2022
- Did Guy Gibson and his mates go to war in vain? asks ANN WIDDECOMBE - Express - April 6th, 2022
- In a word: Marx Brothers: Absurd, wacky and still relevant - Lewiston Sun Journal - April 6th, 2022
- Disney succumbs to whims of the woke left - Fort Bend Herald - April 6th, 2022
- Kevin Smith Remembers His Best Movie On Its 25th Anniversary - Giant Freakin Robot - April 6th, 2022
- Empire of Asylumdom - The American Conservative - April 6th, 2022
- The War In Ukraine Or 'The Special Military Operation In Ukraine'? Analysis - Eurasia Review - April 6th, 2022
- Putin, the haters White Knight - The Jewish Standard - April 6th, 2022
- How did we get to where political correctness and woke-ness rule in our society? - Paris Post Intelligencer - March 31st, 2022
- Will Smith's Slap Is Political Correctness Taken to Its Logical Conclusion | Opinion - Newsweek - March 31st, 2022
- Letter to the editor | Free to express thoughts | Readers Forum | tribdem.com - TribDem.com - March 31st, 2022
- There is no free-speech right to a university platform - Times Higher Education - March 31st, 2022
- Chris Freind: Open letter to Will Smith: Your worst performance ever - The Delaware County Daily Times - March 31st, 2022
- How The Kashmir Files has caught our bleeding-heart liberals off guard and their lies exposed - Firstpost - March 31st, 2022
- There Will Be No Power Instinct Re-Release on Its 30th Anniversary - Siliconera - March 31st, 2022
- No, America Does Not Have a Free Speech ProblemAt Least, Not the One The New York Timess Editors Imagine - Justia Verdict - March 31st, 2022
- The politics of nothing and the enabling church - Baptist News Global - March 31st, 2022
- If the BBC is cancelling anyone, it's cancelling the Left - The Canary - March 31st, 2022
- Today's letters: Readers comment on the term 'progressives' and the Democratic plan - Daily Commercial - March 31st, 2022
- I refuse to take my kids to the playground after parents were made to sign DISCLAIMERS in case they get... - The Sun - March 31st, 2022
- Ukraine devastation puts 'Partygate' in perspective | Alex Brummer | The Blogs - The Times of Israel - March 31st, 2022
- The culture of nastiness: insults have replaced arguments in political debate - Stuff - March 31st, 2022
- 'Politically incorrect' | Fred Clark - Patheos - March 21st, 2022
- The EU's Shameful Treatment of Poland and Hungary | Opinion - Newsweek - March 21st, 2022
- 'This is the game: you're an employee' - Maverick Viales and political correctness - Motorcycle Sports - March 21st, 2022
- Woke Pat Forde Remains Silent On Lia Thomas Winning A National Title Over His Daughter & Her Olympic Friends - OutKick - March 21st, 2022
- The Indians Are Coming! The Indians Are Coming! - Watson - GoLocalProv - March 21st, 2022
- Why did Jeff Garlin leave The Goldbergs? - GEEKSPIN - March 21st, 2022
- Putin does his best Stalin in threat to 'cleanse' Russia - Fox News - March 21st, 2022
- Florida's racist and anti-LGBTQ bills are already having a chilling effect - The Real News Network - March 21st, 2022
- Suspect in Grisly Mosque Murder Was Obsessed With 'Race War' Group - The Daily Beast - March 21st, 2022
- Theres More Than Just Whats on the Page in Licorice Pizza - The Ringer - March 21st, 2022