When it comes to so-called culture war issues, Labour voters havea nuanced, if not split, set of attitudes.
An exclusive poll of 2019 Labour voters for the New Statesman, conducted byRedfield &Wilton Strategies, reveals just 25 per cent of Laboursbase backs defunding the police, compared with50 per cent who are outright opposed.
This finding, however, comes with some sharp generational divides.
While 74 per cent of Labour voters over the age of 65 are opposed, just 28 per cent of those aged 18 to 24 saythe same.
Younger Labour voters are the most supportive of the idea, with 44 per cent of 18- to 24-year-oldssaying they agree with defunding the police.
50 per cent of Labour's base opposes defunding the police
"To what extent, if at all, do you support or oppose defunding the police?"
Redfield & Wilton poll of 2019 Labour voters, 24 Jun 2021
The poll, taken on 24 June, poses a series of questions to those who voted for the Labour Party at the 2019 general election.
When asked if theyd support analysing societys problems through the lens of white privilege, Labours base appeared nonplussed:44 per cent either declared not to have an answer, or did not know how to answer.
Some 32 per cent voiced support (young people being the biggest advocates, at 51 per cent), while 24 per cent declared themselves opposed.
What these findings expose is not necessarily a Labour Party out of step with its own voters, but rather a base of support more logged-off fromculture war issues and, consequently, less supportive of them than their logged-on activists.
Just 29 per cent of Labours voters, for instance, say they feel white privilege is a useful term inpublic discourse, including only half of young Labour supporters.
Labours base here displays similar generational divides to the country at large,although that doesnt tell the whole story. While a majority of Labours young voters are positive about woke identity politics, they are not overwhelmingly so. And the middle and ageing generations in comparison are not as supportive, if at all or at least lacka solid opinion.
Despite increasing useof the term in newspapers, only 59 per cent of Labours vote know what woke means. That doesnt stop 76 per cent having an opinion on it, however.More than half (52 per cent) of Labours base regards woke practices as having gone too far, compared with24 per cent whosay otherwise.
Plurality of Labour's voters believe in analysing society's problems through the lens of white privilege, but 52% agree "woke practices" have gone too far
Redfield & Wilton survey of 2019 Labour voters
Young Labour voters are also split on the sentiment. A slim plurality (43 per cent) agree that woke practices go too far; 35 per cent disagree.
Figures like these play to other pollson the broader subject of political correctness,a term which appears to mean different things to different people. According to Ipsos MORI, the country is in broad agreement that political correctness has gone too far.
On the subject of tearing down the statues of unsavoury figures, theNew Statesmans Redfield &Wilton pollfinds Labour voters are supportive in the plurality, butnot overwhelmingly so.
Just 44 per cent agree that statues of certain historical figures [should be] taken down if their views or actions are now considered unacceptable.
Meanwhile 25 per centdont have a view, and 27 per cent are opposed.
Most Labour voters back tearing down unacceptable statues
"Do you agree or disagree with statues of certain historical figures being taken down if their views or actions are now considered unacceptable?"
Source: Redfield & Wilton
Where there is broad agreement among Labours base is on the topical theme of footballers taking the knee. The majority 68 per cent say footballers should have the right to do so, and 54 per cent say when they do, they would support them. Just 15 per cent say they would oppose, and 31 per cent are either indifferent or unsure.
Majority of Labour's base support footballers taking the knee
"To what extent, if at all, do you support or oppose footballers taking the knee before football matches?"
Source: Redfield & Wilton
These revelations suggest voters are not as motivated by these subjects as some in the government may think. Stirring them up for electoral gain may not lead to the results intended.
When even Labours own base isnt enthused by Americanisms such as defundthe police or woke identities that dominate the social media discussion, it is questionable how far a focus on such matters could influence voters at the ballot box. Equally, Labour figures seeking political capital will struggle to motivate their base by promoting woke issues.
See more here:
- Virginias Election Is Breaking the Rules - New York Magazine - October 19th, 2021
- Letters to the editor - Boston Herald - October 19th, 2021
- Ballot proposal would replace he with they in Grand Have n city charter - WOODTV.com - October 19th, 2021
- Dave Chappelle refuses to be cancelled | TheHill - The Hill - October 19th, 2021
- Keep Appreciation for Hispanic Heritage Alive With These Great Books - L.A. Weekly - October 19th, 2021
- History of the World Part 1 is Getting a Sequel - Book and Film Globe - October 19th, 2021
- AstonRep Theatre Presents GOD OF CARNAGE At The Edge Theater - Broadway World - October 19th, 2021
- Max Gillies talks satire, The Gillies Report and the future of political comedy - ABC News - October 19th, 2021
- 'The Office' Star John Krasinski Once Shared His Favorite Episode of All Time - And It's Pretty Controversial - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 19th, 2021
- Falling all the time Billy Connolly had to move out of New York as Parkinsons worsened - Express - October 19th, 2021
- Political correctness - POLITICO - October 15th, 2021
- Billy Connolly raged at politically correct mob who screwed it for everybody - Daily Express - October 15th, 2021
- PC Halloween: Here are the costumes parents agree no kid should wear while trick-or-treating - Study Finds - October 15th, 2021
- Science is the latest victim of cancel culture - Brunswick News - October 15th, 2021
- Sir Billy Connolly: I'd be cancelled by the woke brigade if I started out in comedy today - The Telegraph - October 15th, 2021
- Krull: Gruden is like other blowhards, lacking in common decency and courtesy - The Herald-Times - October 15th, 2021
- Peter Thiel bets on the far right: Tech tycoon spending millions to bankroll "Trump wing" of GOP - Salon - October 15th, 2021
- Lorraine fans delighted to see Billy Connolly looking so well as he plugs new book amid Parkinsons b... - The Sun - October 15th, 2021
- Letter to the Editor: Keep Seattle politics out of rural King County - Woodinville Northwest News - October 15th, 2021
- Back in the Day: This is my 500th Back in the Day column! - Fairfield Daily Republic - October 15th, 2021
- 'Forget the Alamo' Book Trashes Texas' Beloved Origin Myth - The Daily Beast - October 15th, 2021
- 'Cosplay Christianity': The sin is in the denial of the life God calls us to - Religion News Service - October 15th, 2021
- Diversification is the key to success - AV Magazine - October 15th, 2021
- Raila, Ruto must end political intolerance ahead of elections - The Standard - October 15th, 2021
- The Many Feints of The Sopranos - The American Prospect - October 15th, 2021
- Digimon Tamers Stage Play Accused Of Promoting Far Right ... - October 5th, 2021
- British Airways Accused of Political Correctness as it Abolishes Ladies and Gentleman From Onboard Announcements - Paddle Your Own Kanoo - October 5th, 2021
- America needs to get back to honesty, thinking about the group - EH Extra - October 5th, 2021
- Putin has hit us but will lose, says interior minister - The First News - October 5th, 2021
- Alejandro Zaera-Polo has been removed from his faculty position as Princeton continues its row with the former SoA dean - Archinect - October 5th, 2021
- Six Broadway Review: The Real Housewives of Henry VIII Put on a Show - Yahoo Entertainment - October 5th, 2021
- Jon Stewarts Back. Heres Why We Should Care. - POLITICO - October 5th, 2021
- The comedy in Olney's 'Thanksgiving Play' comes with a side of snark - DC Metro Theater Arts - October 5th, 2021
- Scottish theatre company apologises after backlash over 'cancel culture' and political correctness play - The Scotsman - September 29th, 2021
- 11 Examples Of Political Correctness Gone Mad - September 29th, 2021
- COMMENTARY: Woking the Boomer Cache Valley Daily - Cache Valley Daily - September 29th, 2021
- One of the crowd: Jimmy Kimmel's evolution from 'The Man Show' to another liberal late-night voice - Fox News - September 29th, 2021
- COMMENTARY by Mike Sparks: WE The People should revisit the Importance of U.S. Constitution - Wgnsradio - September 29th, 2021
- Mathematics and Social Justice | Higher Ed Gamma - Inside Higher Ed - September 29th, 2021
- Why Conservatives Turned on the U.S. Military - Foreign Affairs Magazine - September 29th, 2021
- Jo Page: On the stereotypes we challenge, and the ones we cling to - Times Union - September 29th, 2021
- Bret Stephens' malign view of the Squad as antisemitic is distorting the politics of Israel - Mondoweiss - September 29th, 2021
- Latino or Latinx? The Diatribe of Social Identity in the Latinx Community - BELatina - September 29th, 2021
- Evergrande got a free pass of sorts from Chinese authorities - Mint - September 29th, 2021
- Baseballs Name Changes Should Stop with the Cleveland Guardians - UCF - September 29th, 2021
- PANDAs Nick Hudson on the politics of Covid: We need to push back. This is not about a virus. - BizNews - September 29th, 2021
- Doctor Who: What Does the Second Coming of Russell T. Davies Mean For the Show? - Den of Geek - September 29th, 2021
- FROM THE OPINION PAGE Political correctness is one of many serious higher education problems - Bluefield Daily Telegraph - September 16th, 2021
- The New Front Line of the Culture War: Howard Stern vs. Joe Rogan - Barstool Sports - September 16th, 2021
- Steve Earle: The Left unconcerned about consequences of their narrative - The Laconia Daily Sun - September 16th, 2021
- The best (totally real) books to extend your lockdown misery - Crikey - September 16th, 2021
- PwC's bid to improve diversity is not woke. It's shrewd business - The Independent - September 16th, 2021
- Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you - Florida Catholic - September 16th, 2021
- The absent ones - PRESSENZA International News Agency - September 16th, 2021
- 9/11, Afghanistan, and the Next War | Joseph Mahoney - First Things - September 16th, 2021
- Are we finally witnessing the long-anticipated (by journalists) evangelical crack-up? - GetReligion - September 16th, 2021
- The Prospect Responds to 9/11and to the Wars That Followed - The American Prospect - September 16th, 2021
- Inside the Bromance Between the 'Trump of the Tropics' and the Original - The Daily Beast - September 16th, 2021
- Trump tells Gutfeld I think youll be very happy with 2024 plans - Fox News - September 10th, 2021
- 'Cancel Culture and Political Correctness': here are the finalists for the 2021 LIBEX cartoon prize - Euronews - September 10th, 2021
- "Historiometric examination revealed narcissistic tendencies in the Indian prime ministers... - Moneycontrol.com - September 10th, 2021
- Alumni, Faculty Respond to Bylaw Changes - The Davidsonian - September 10th, 2021
- After the attacks | Safety Valve: 2011 letters | Opinion | wenatcheeworld.com - wenatcheeworld.com - September 10th, 2021
- The snobbery of Roy 'Chubby' Brown's critics - Spectator.co.uk - September 10th, 2021
- PIERS MORGAN: The woke destruction of a great educator should terrify every one of us - Texasnewstoday.com - September 10th, 2021
- Britain, Islamism, And The Wages Of Defeat - Swarajya - September 10th, 2021
- Even Indigenous theatre has fallen victim to wokeness - The Globe and Mail - September 10th, 2021
- 'Simply put, I call things as they are': Mohammed El-Kurd on shifting the Western discourse on Palestine Mondoweiss - Mondoweiss - September 10th, 2021
- Is political correctness holding back progress on diversity, equity, and inclusion? - USAPP American Politics and Policy (blog) - September 8th, 2021
- So Awkward! Your Jaw Will Drop When You Hear The Rumors About Nicole Kidman On Her Latest TV Set - SheFinds - September 8th, 2021
- What it's really like to be canceled and how I overcame it - New York Post - September 8th, 2021
- OPINION: Trying to save 2020's economy ruined 2021's - Red and Black - September 8th, 2021
- Paul Schrader knows the perfect Clickbait headline for this interview - Texasnewstoday.com - September 8th, 2021
- Persecution of Christians in Nigeria continues to need attention and action pt 1 - The Christian Post - September 8th, 2021
- Council to face questions on axing of Roy 'Chubby' Brown show in Sheffield - The Star - September 8th, 2021
- Critical Race Theory: The Right's New Manic Proxy War and the Anchorage Group Fighting Back - Anchorage Press - September 8th, 2021
- Steven Pinker Thinks Your Sense of Imminent Doom Is Wrong - The New York Times - September 8th, 2021
- So Much Modern Slang Is AAVE. Heres How Language Appropriation Erases The Influence Of Black Culture. - BuzzFeed News - September 8th, 2021
- Letters to the Editor September 5, 2021: From US to Israeli politics - The Jerusalem Post - September 8th, 2021
- Opinion: The elegant solution is thinking before speaking - Arvada Press - September 4th, 2021