By AUSTIN PRESHKO / TEXAS POLICY FORUM
Eva, dear, did your father teach you anything last night?
My grandmother, Eva Hahn, received this question almost daily at school in the Czechoslovak Socialist Republic. While the question seems innocent enough at first glance, the teachers were actually fishing for proof that my great-grandfather, Jaroslav, was teaching his daughters non-communist ideas, such as the unabridged history of Czechoslovakia.
While my grandmother and her sister never turned their father in, eventually the communists found the proof that they needed against him testimonies of neighbors and former coworkers. Jaroslav heard from friends that a warrant for his arrest was forthcoming, and that the outcome of the trial was already decided guilty, with a sentence of six years in the uranium mines. This was a death sentence, as the average life expectancy in the uranium mines was just under five years. He escaped with his family soon after.
History may not repeat, but we can see patterns. No one is being rounded up and sent off to camps in the United Statesbut government (and social media) are demanding more and more strict adherence to approved ways of thinking.
Already, COVID-19 has justified massive increases in government power and reach. The recent vaccine mandate is a perfect example of this. For government officials at all levels, it was not enough to shut down the country, shatter the economy, wreck educations, and require masks everywhere. Now, the federal government is making an unconstitutional power grab by requiring businesses to force their employees to be vaccinated or consent to daily testing.
The most disturbing part is how it would be enforced: through employee reports. The Biden administration claims this is a good thing OSHA wont be kicking in doors and demanding vaccination papers; instead, it will simply respond to reports from employees. These employees will be protected and rewarded under the False Claims Act, which was designed to protect whistleblowers who reported fraud to the government.
While the communists did use secret police, surveillance, and wiretaps to weed out dissidents, they also relied on a vast network citizen-informants. This system encouraged false reportsyou could report a supervisor, competitor, or even just a disliked neighbor with no repercussions. The trials were a foregone conclusionanyone in the system was assumed guilty. There was no justice and no due process.
Were assured no one will go to jail over the vaccine mandate, but it sets a dangerous precedent in the enforcement of regulationsasking Americans to spy and report on each other.
If a company is reported, OSHA can dig into private records to see if the mandate is being enforced. Imagine the potential for abuse there. By nature, a system that relies on reports like this is built entirely on the word of one person against another. Since there is no trial in this situation, there is no risk to the reporter if they issue a false reportthey could submit a report out of spite.
The woke crowd in America already tears people down for the most minor of transgressions against political correctness. Enforcing a mandate with informants is sure to encourage false reports against those who engage in wrongthink.
The Russian author Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, who spent almost 10 years in the Soviet gulags, said of the West, There always is this fallacious belief: It would not be the same here; here such things are impossible. Alas, all the evil of the 20th century is possible everywhere on earth.
Fortunately, the vaccine mandate has been temporarily stayed due to the actions of Texas Public Policy Foundations own Center for the American Future. However, this is not permanent and could be undone at any moment. The threat that the vaccine mandate poses towards freedom is enormousit must be stopped.
Editors note: In the above photo, Eva Hahn is in the center. To herleft is Evas mother, Maria Riha, and to right is her grandmother, Maria Zezulkova. This column, used with permission, first appeared Nov. 17 at Texas Public Policy Foundation.
View original post here:
- Jim Breuer Special Mocks Wokeness As The Laughingstock It Is - The Federalist - August 4th, 2022
- Letter to the Editor: Bruce Butler's column about the military lacks nuance and context - Summit Daily - August 4th, 2022
- The Unconstitutional PP10043: Time to End the Collateral Damage - UrbanMatter - August 4th, 2022
- David Sedaris Coming to the Miller Center for the Arts - BCTV - bctv.org - August 4th, 2022
- Slavoj iek: We are addicted to chaos - UnHerd - August 4th, 2022
- Senseless beliefs you need to get rid of today - wknd. - August 4th, 2022
- 5 hilarious drill instructor episodes - We Are The Mighty - August 4th, 2022
- Op-Ed: Reviving civic education in Iowa - The Center Square - August 2nd, 2022
- Kemi may not be next PM but she oozes real-life experience & will be a champion for working people a... - The US Sun - August 2nd, 2022
- Were the 70s Really That Great? - Novara Media - August 2nd, 2022
- Laal Singh Chaddha: Is It Unfair To Call For Boycott Of Films Even Before Their Release? - SheThePeople - August 2nd, 2022
- The Reason Why 'The Rings of Power' Is So Controversial - We Got This Covered - August 2nd, 2022
- To hell with political correctness, it's an outrage adults missed the plight of vulnerable girls for fear of accusations of transphobia, says Darren... - July 29th, 2022
- The politics of political correctness - The New Indian Express - July 29th, 2022
- 'Be offended': How to shut down the woke mob with two words - Washington Examiner - July 29th, 2022
- Why are Mr. Men and Little Miss memes all over social media right now? - Lifestyle Asia Bangkok - July 29th, 2022
- Wokus Pocus and the Culture War - The Spectator Australia - July 29th, 2022
- Why is Peter Dutton trying to start another political fight over the school curriculum? - The Conversation Indonesia - July 29th, 2022
- Ross: Pence turns the other cheek when asked about Trump and the future of the GOP - MyNorthwest - July 29th, 2022
- Any Given Tuesday: Lis Smith on Cuomo, Spitzer and a political life - The Guardian - July 29th, 2022
- This Is It - The Epoch Times - July 29th, 2022
- The fantastical world of the New (evangelical) Zealots - Baptist News Global - July 29th, 2022
- Fans Want Seth MacFarlane To Take Over Star Trek, Here's The Petition - Giant Freakin Robot - July 29th, 2022
- From Matt Damon to Gwyneth Paltrow: Celebrities who pushed crypto now paying for it in popularity - EL PAS USA - July 29th, 2022
- Political Correctness Is Losing - New York - July 9th, 2022
- Nolte: David Cronenberg Blames Political Correctness for Sexless Movies - July 9th, 2022
- The Oversensitivity Overkill - The Citizen - July 9th, 2022
- We must work to restore the American spirit - Alpena News - July 9th, 2022
- Bette Midler is right about the erasure of women - Washington Examiner - July 9th, 2022
- Barstool Subverts Elites On Everything Except Sexual Ethics - The Federalist - July 9th, 2022
- Splaine: Two Portsmouths: The rather well-to-do, and the not-quite so - Seacoastonline.com - July 9th, 2022
- 'Christian persecution never ended in Middle East - Aid to the Church in Need - July 9th, 2022
- The antidote to America's race wars - UnHerd - July 9th, 2022
- Peter Thiel: the grown-up in the Big Tech room - TheArticle - July 9th, 2022
- DISTURBED Frontman 'Couldn't Be More Proud' Of His Bandmate For Taking On 'Cancel Culture' With New Guitar - BLABBERMOUTH.NET - July 9th, 2022
- The late Senator John McCains widow, Cindy McCain, claimed that her late husband wouldnt approve of the Republican Party as it is today - TDPel Media - July 9th, 2022
- OPINION | Leave the gas station owners out of it - Marianas Variety News & Views - July 9th, 2022
- After Roe, architect of Texas abortion law sets sights on gay marriage - Detroit News - July 9th, 2022
- If the Tories are to have a chance of winning the next election, what is needed is Brexit 2.0 - The Telegraph - July 9th, 2022
- Being respectful shouldnt have to mean upending the language: Ted Diadiun - cleveland.com - July 9th, 2022
- Reviving The Lost Art of Forgiveness - Forbes - June 15th, 2022
- Inside Krakens Culture War Stoked by Its C.E.O. - The New York Times - June 15th, 2022
- Long Island Rep. Tom Suozzi runs as a tax-slashing centrist in bid to topple Hochul in NY governor's race - New York Daily News - June 15th, 2022
- Deep in the Heart of Beavis & Butt-Head - Texas Monthly - June 15th, 2022
- A prominent part of the Jan. 6 hearings, right-wing groups like Proud Boys seek to build a white nation - The Fayetteville Observer - June 15th, 2022
- Kelly Reilly (Yellowstone): Beth Dutton is a fearless thunderstorm of a woman and a once in a lifetime role [Exclusive Video Interview] - Gold Derby - June 15th, 2022
- We Have Become Lonely and Our Relationships Increasingly Toxic: What Has Happened to Us? - Digital Journal - June 15th, 2022
- 50 years of jokes and tricks at Waukesha's Jest For Fun Joke Shop - Greater Milwaukee Today | GMToday.com - June 15th, 2022
- Tampa Bay Rays decry 31 killed in Buffalo and Uvalde what about 40,000 in Chicago? - The Hill - June 15th, 2022
- Father of the Bride Film Review: Latino Specificity Makes This Remake Feel Like an Original - Yahoo Entertainment - June 15th, 2022
- Halftime review: Jennifer Lopez asks Hollywood for her long overdue standing ovation in rousing, effective documentary - Entertainment News ,... - June 15th, 2022
- Will the Colombian Trump win the presidency? - GZERO Media - June 15th, 2022
- Prevent and the problem of 'political correctness' - The Spectator - June 11th, 2022
- The overuse and misuse of politically incorrect speech - The Michigan Daily - June 11th, 2022
- Patriotism in 2022: Red hot anger, White rage and a blue-streak Daily Montanan - Daily Montanan - June 11th, 2022
- Voters in SF and LA voice their disgust - CalMatters - June 11th, 2022
- The Real Goal of the January 6th Committee - The National Interest Online - June 11th, 2022
- Thought Crimes: the Shameful Undemocratic Wilding of Contrary Opinion - Fair Observer - June 11th, 2022
- THE SELF-TAUGHT GARDENER: Immigration policy and the moth formerly known as gypsy - theberkshireedge.com - June 11th, 2022
- Perspective: What can we do after Uvalde? And will we do anything? - Northern Public Radio (WNIJ) - June 11th, 2022
- Bill Maher Thinks Republicans Will 'Steal' Pot Legalization - High Times - June 11th, 2022
- What the New York Times Won't Admit About California - City Watch - June 11th, 2022
- Discriminating tastes: Why academia must tackle its "race science" problem - Salon - June 11th, 2022
- John Waters on Divine, Drag Kings and Political Correctness - AnOther Magazine - June 3rd, 2022
- Ukraine, time to rise and strike! - The Riverdale Press - June 3rd, 2022
- Don of a new era: the rise of Peter Thiel as a US rightwing power player - The Guardian - June 3rd, 2022
- Russia using disinformation to stir hostility between Ukrainians and Poles, warn security services - Notes From Poland - June 3rd, 2022
- Book review: Damodar Mauzos The Wait And Other Stories feel like an oven baked snack - Art-and-culture News , Firstpost - Firstpost - June 3rd, 2022
- The Boys Season 3 Review: Preparing to Bust a Cap - Superherohype.com - June 3rd, 2022
- Why today's debates over Aurangzeb, Shivaji, Rana Pratap or Prithviraj Chauhan are not about good or bad history, but tussles over memory - The Indian... - June 3rd, 2022
- There Are No Saints - Film Threat - June 3rd, 2022
- Reaction to new name for Fort Bragg mixed among veterans, activists - Up & Coming Weekly - June 3rd, 2022
- San Diego County Sheriff's candidates share their views - The San Diego Union-Tribune - June 3rd, 2022
- Opinion | Gun Violence Is Like What Segregation Was. An Unaddressed Moral Stain. - The New York Times - June 3rd, 2022
- The growing attacks on cops and other commentary - New York Post - May 11th, 2022
- 30 Helens Agree Amazons Kids in the Hall Revival Is Hilarious: Review - Consequence - May 11th, 2022
- Parents are 'sleeping giants' who will fix American education - Fox News - May 11th, 2022
- Abortions and the pendulum - Kathimerini English Edition - May 11th, 2022
- Labour may think its moving on, but working-class voters arent following - The Guardian - May 11th, 2022
- Grace Hyland says she 'hates' being politicised as the transgender community is 'the antithesis of a political issue' - 9Honey - May 11th, 2022