By AUSTIN PRESHKO / TEXAS POLICY FORUM
Eva, dear, did your father teach you anything last night?
My grandmother, Eva Hahn, received this question almost daily at school in the Czechoslovak Socialist Republic. While the question seems innocent enough at first glance, the teachers were actually fishing for proof that my great-grandfather, Jaroslav, was teaching his daughters non-communist ideas, such as the unabridged history of Czechoslovakia.
While my grandmother and her sister never turned their father in, eventually the communists found the proof that they needed against him testimonies of neighbors and former coworkers. Jaroslav heard from friends that a warrant for his arrest was forthcoming, and that the outcome of the trial was already decided guilty, with a sentence of six years in the uranium mines. This was a death sentence, as the average life expectancy in the uranium mines was just under five years. He escaped with his family soon after.
History may not repeat, but we can see patterns. No one is being rounded up and sent off to camps in the United Statesbut government (and social media) are demanding more and more strict adherence to approved ways of thinking.
Already, COVID-19 has justified massive increases in government power and reach. The recent vaccine mandate is a perfect example of this. For government officials at all levels, it was not enough to shut down the country, shatter the economy, wreck educations, and require masks everywhere. Now, the federal government is making an unconstitutional power grab by requiring businesses to force their employees to be vaccinated or consent to daily testing.
The most disturbing part is how it would be enforced: through employee reports. The Biden administration claims this is a good thing OSHA wont be kicking in doors and demanding vaccination papers; instead, it will simply respond to reports from employees. These employees will be protected and rewarded under the False Claims Act, which was designed to protect whistleblowers who reported fraud to the government.
While the communists did use secret police, surveillance, and wiretaps to weed out dissidents, they also relied on a vast network citizen-informants. This system encouraged false reportsyou could report a supervisor, competitor, or even just a disliked neighbor with no repercussions. The trials were a foregone conclusionanyone in the system was assumed guilty. There was no justice and no due process.
Were assured no one will go to jail over the vaccine mandate, but it sets a dangerous precedent in the enforcement of regulationsasking Americans to spy and report on each other.
If a company is reported, OSHA can dig into private records to see if the mandate is being enforced. Imagine the potential for abuse there. By nature, a system that relies on reports like this is built entirely on the word of one person against another. Since there is no trial in this situation, there is no risk to the reporter if they issue a false reportthey could submit a report out of spite.
The woke crowd in America already tears people down for the most minor of transgressions against political correctness. Enforcing a mandate with informants is sure to encourage false reports against those who engage in wrongthink.
The Russian author Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, who spent almost 10 years in the Soviet gulags, said of the West, There always is this fallacious belief: It would not be the same here; here such things are impossible. Alas, all the evil of the 20th century is possible everywhere on earth.
Fortunately, the vaccine mandate has been temporarily stayed due to the actions of Texas Public Policy Foundations own Center for the American Future. However, this is not permanent and could be undone at any moment. The threat that the vaccine mandate poses towards freedom is enormousit must be stopped.
Editors note: In the above photo, Eva Hahn is in the center. To herleft is Evas mother, Maria Riha, and to right is her grandmother, Maria Zezulkova. This column, used with permission, first appeared Nov. 17 at Texas Public Policy Foundation.
View original post here:
- And Just Like That, Political Correctness Killed Sex and the City - The Quint - January 9th, 2022
- Just appreciate others' expressions of good will | News, Sports, Jobs - Maui News - January 9th, 2022
- Opinion: The disturbing reality is that millions of Canadians support Trump - The Globe and Mail - January 9th, 2022
- Macron faces right-wing threat as France frets about crime - Yahoo News - January 9th, 2022
- Opinion: Berkeley is named after a slaveholder. It's time to rename the city. - Berkeleyside - January 9th, 2022
- Political compulsions should not limit Thirukural to book of ethics, morality, says TN Governor - The Hindu - January 7th, 2022
- The ugly pursuit of beauty: how traditional architecture has become a battleground for right-wing politicians - Art Newspaper - January 7th, 2022
- France's culture wars are going into the next round - IPS Journal - January 7th, 2022
- Letters to the Editor Wednesday, Jan. 5 The Daily Gazette - The Daily Gazette - January 7th, 2022
- John Whitehead's Commentary: Despotism Is the New Normal: Looming Threats to Freedom in 2022 - Gilmer Mirror - January 7th, 2022
- Local lawmakers who lived through the Jan. 6 U.S. Capitol attack reflect on that day - RochesterFirst - January 7th, 2022
- E.O. Wilson had a lifelong passion for ants - The Current GA - January 7th, 2022
- Jeff Garlin Will Still Appear in 'The Goldbergs' After Firing - We Got This Covered - January 7th, 2022
- The Apprentice, BBC1, episode 1, review: A return to the horror of watching LinkedIn come to life - iNews - January 7th, 2022
- Towards a future free from fears of Islamism II - nation.lk - The Nation Newspaper - January 7th, 2022
- What's the deal with political correctness? | The big ... - January 3rd, 2022
- China Predicts Hollywood Will 'Dig Its Own Grave' with ... - January 3rd, 2022
- The New Political Cry in South Korea: Out With Man Haters - The New York Times - January 3rd, 2022
- Letter to the editor: Ullr has the reputation of fun and questionable political correctness - Summit Daily - January 3rd, 2022
- Hero: Chris James, the Canadian Comedian Triggering Right-Wing Talk Radio Hosts Mother Jones - Mother Jones - January 3rd, 2022
- Californias Housing Costs Threaten The States Future - Forbes - January 3rd, 2022
- Please get the vaccine. And try to understand those who won't. - Bowling Green Daily News - January 3rd, 2022
- E.O. Wilson's lifelong passion for ants helped him teach humans about how to live sustainably with nature - Longview News-Journal - January 3rd, 2022
- Golf's memorable moments in 2021 certain to have impact on future - usatoday.com - January 3rd, 2022
- Religious persecution on the rise in 2021 amid signs of hope - Vatican News - January 3rd, 2022
- How I Met Your Mother Main Characters Ranked By Likeability - The Nerd Stash - January 3rd, 2022
- 'And Just Like That': Was Cynthia Nixon behind panned super woke reboot of SATC? - MEAWW - January 3rd, 2022
- Cobra Kai has a major problem that needs to be fixed - digitalspy.com - January 3rd, 2022
- We must save it! Outcry as EU chief 'cancels' Christmas amid fears it could offend - Daily Express - December 22nd, 2021
- It's Time To Defund The Speech Police - The Federalist - December 22nd, 2021
- Fernando Del Pino Calvo-Sotelo: 'We Are Witnessing The Mother Of All Bubbles' (Part II) Interview - Eurasia Review - December 22nd, 2021
- Henderson: These days, Americans going where theyre treated best - Boston Herald - December 22nd, 2021
- How Brad Pitt is feeling on 58th birthday amid never-ending custody battle with Angelina Jolie, more news - Wonderwall - December 22nd, 2021
- The Second Great Age of Political Correctness - Reason - December 17th, 2021
- Sarah Silverman Is Worried Liberals Are Losing Their Way - UPROXX - December 17th, 2021
- Raab to claim overhaul of human rights law will counter political correctness - The Guardian - December 17th, 2021
- Waiting for Harriet Tubman to appear on U.S. currency - Richmond Free Press - December 17th, 2021
- Places across the Keys to ring in 2022 - Key West Florida Weekly - December 17th, 2021
- Boris Johnson is incoherent, he flip flops from day to day and his measures are contradictory... - The US Sun - December 17th, 2021
- This man lives in the paranoid alternate universe of Fox News so you don't have to - Salon - December 17th, 2021
- In Biden's America, Americans Should Go Where They're Treated Best InsideSources - InsideSources - December 17th, 2021
- Reaganism and Roe v. Wade (letter) | Letters To The Editor | lancasteronline.com - LNP | LancasterOnline - December 17th, 2021
- Levity and laughter for leaders: Why we still need a sense of humor in the workplace - The San Diego Union-Tribune - December 17th, 2021
- The uny filling the ranks of Raisi's hard-line regime - Asia Times - December 17th, 2021
- Feehery: The honest contrarian | TheHill - The Hill - November 23rd, 2021
- First thoughts on the new President's Management Agenda - FCW.com - November 23rd, 2021
- Is the legacy of Monty Python being destroyed? - Far Out Magazine - November 23rd, 2021
- More Deferential but Also More Political: How Americans' Views of the Military Have Changed Over 20 Years - War on the Rocks - November 23rd, 2021
- Its American History: Its time to face the truth about what critical race theory actually means to the right - East Bay Express - November 23rd, 2021
- Thanksgiving is a holiday dedicated to gratitude and tolerance so the woke have their knives out for it - New York Post - November 23rd, 2021
- The Roustabouts Go for the Gut (Laugh) in 'For Whom the Southern Belle Tolls' - Times of San Diego - November 23rd, 2021
- 10 of the best new release Netflix series available coming in November - The Scotsman - November 23rd, 2021
- Book Spoilers, Sex Jokes and Other Letters to the Editor - The New York Times - November 19th, 2021
- Opinion | The Woke Student Is Just a Scapegoat - The New York Times - November 19th, 2021
- We need to get real about Islamist terrorism - Spiked - November 19th, 2021
- The thought police have arrived with 'trigger warning' alarm that goes off at every offensive remark - Telegraph.co.uk - November 19th, 2021
- 'The Sex Lives of College Girls' on HBO Max is a hilarious, sexy treat from Mindy Kaling - Mashable - November 19th, 2021
- An Archconservative Magazine Discovers Afrofuturism at the Met and Is Not Pleased - Hyperallergic - November 19th, 2021
- The Every by Dave Eggers review big tech is watching you - The Guardian - November 19th, 2021
- 10 of the best Netflix new release series available this November - The Scotsman - November 19th, 2021
- Chinese dissident warns Americans: Youre already in the authoritarian state...you just dont know it - Fox News - November 15th, 2021
- 'Legacy American' is the latest catchphrase in the racist lexicon | TheHill - The Hill - November 15th, 2021
- Too sensitive or too ignorant? The rise of political correctness in the US - Mesa Press - November 15th, 2021
- On Kashmir, Literature, and the Shroud of Political Correctness - The Quint - November 15th, 2021
- Despite laundry list of injuries, the Bucs should beat Washington 35-13 on Sunday - Creative Loafing Tampa - November 15th, 2021
- How will Eastern election results affect Utah? |Opinion - Deseret News - November 15th, 2021
- Andrew Sullivan on American political discourse and rescuing conservatism in 2021 - 60 Minutes - CBS News - November 15th, 2021
- AOC's 'Woke' Whine Is Why the Dems Can't Stop Losing - The Daily Beast - November 15th, 2021
- A Look At The Diversity Of Political Ideology In The United States : The NPR Politics Podcast - NPR - November 15th, 2021
- Letters to the Editor Many readers will miss Mallard Fillmore - The Dallas Morning News - November 15th, 2021
- GUEST VIEW: Dictatorial coaching should be in the past - Lockport Union-Sun & Journal - November 15th, 2021
- Making the effort to do what is right - The Jackson Sun - November 15th, 2021
- Cape Cod theater reviews: Romance, revelations and a different view of Thanksgiving - Cape Cod Times - November 15th, 2021
- Betsy DeVos to publish Hostages to the Cause, a book on misguided failures of US education system - Yahoo News - November 15th, 2021
- How on earth has Family Guy survived for 20 seasons in the supposed era of political correctness? - The Independent - November 3rd, 2021
- How on earth has Family Guy survived in the era of political correctness? - News Nation USA - November 3rd, 2021
- The Board of Ed Elephant in the Room and Other Passaic Elections Nuggets - InsiderNJ - November 3rd, 2021
- Deadlock at the pump | Opinion | wvnews.com - WV News - November 3rd, 2021
- Shared Loves and Strong Loyalties | R. R. Reno - First Things - November 3rd, 2021
- Larry Summers slams Democrats for failing to tax the wealthy - Salon - November 3rd, 2021