Last week, a congressman from the Sunshine State led a letter to National Security Agency (NSA) Director Paul Nakasone demanding information on reports that the Agency illegally spied on Fox News host Tucker Carlson and planned to leak his personal emails to media outlets.
U.S. Rep. Bill Posey, R-Fla., teamed up with U.S. Rep. Louie Gohmert, R-Texas, to lead the letter.
The letter requests that the NSA provide all documents the Agency may have involving Tucker Carlson as well as the following information: a detailed description of the limited exceptions that would permit the NSA to target a US citizen without a court order, as the Agency understands the term as it is used in its own tweet; a detailed description of what constitutes an emergency that would permit the NSA to target a US citizen without a court order, as the Agency understands the term as used in its own tweet; a detailed description of the foreign activities that could harm the United States, as the Agency understands the phrase as used in its own tweet;a full explanation of when the Agency understands it is lawful to monitor, surveil, collect, unmask, or receive data on a US citizen without a court order explicitly authorizing such targeting, including while conducted in the course of targeting foreign powers; a detailed description of how the Agency defines domestic terrorist and when its mission could extend to targeting foreign powers who are corresponding with individuals defined as such; a detailed description of your understanding of the term clandestine intelligence activities; and ahat specific actions have been taken to hold accountable those who unmasked, approved unmasking, or shared information on unmasked U.S. citizens? Poseys office noted.
More than a dozen House Republicans including U.S. Rep. Matt Gaetz and Greg Steube of Florida, Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia and Lauren Boebert of Colorado signed the letter.
Spying, unmasking, and leaking the private communications of American citizens weaponizes our intelligence agencies, and this abuse of power must stop. Protecting national security is not only about deterring enemy threats, but it also involves safeguarding our liberties, said Posey.
After the disturbing treatment of Donald Trump by the Deep State, it should come as no surprise that intelligence agencies are continuing their illegal surveillance of Americans who dare to challenge power-hungry elites in Washington, D.C. Reports about the NSA spying on Tucker Carlson are reminiscent of something one would expect to see in a tyrannical dictatorship, not the United States of America where citizens supposedly still have Constitutional rights. The Agencys attempt to explain itself thus far has only raised more questions that Mr. Carlson and every citizen of this country deserve to have answered, said Gohmert.
On his Fox News show at the end of last month, Carlson said the NSA was spying on him.
We heard from a whistleblower within the U.S. government who reached out to warn us that the NSA, the National Security Agency, is monitoring our electronic communications and is planning to leak them to take this show off the air, Carlson said.
The NSA has denied the allegations while Carlson has not shown evidence of his claim.
Tucker Carlson has never been an intelligence target of the Agency and the NSA has never had any plans to try to take his program off the air, the NSA said in a statement. NSA has a foreign intelligence mission. We target foreign powers to generate insights on foreign activities that could harm the United States.
With limited exceptions (e.g. an emergency), NSA may not target a US citizen without a court order that explicitly authorizes the targeting, the NSA noted.
Reach Kevin Derby at email@example.com.
- India has to augment tracking capabilities across geographies, protection of space assets: NSA Ajit Doval - Economic Times - October 11th, 2021
- Pentagon says NSA working with big companies on cyber information sharing - ETCIO.com - October 11th, 2021
- NSA competition asks children to help in the fight against sheep worrying by dogs - Agriland.co.uk - October 11th, 2021
- Kremlin refutes US NSA Sullivan's claims of Russia using energy resources as weapon - Republic World - October 11th, 2021
- 'Pakistan Should Be Confronted With International Isolation For Supporting Jihadist Terrorists': Former US NSA - Swarajya - October 11th, 2021
- Edward Snowden: CBDC Is a Perversion of Cryptocurrency - CryptoPotato - October 11th, 2021
- NSA director expects to be facing ransomware attacks 'every single day' in five years | TheHill - The Hill - October 7th, 2021
- Greenpoint This Week: Mo's General, NSA Noodle Bar and more - greenpointers.com - October 7th, 2021
- Zelis Helps Address New NSA and TiC Regulations - HealthLeaders Media - October 7th, 2021
- NSA, CISA Release Guidance on Selecting and Hardening Remote Access VPNs - Hstoday - HSToday - October 3rd, 2021
- Winners of 2021 National Cross-Country race receive additional prizes from NSA - BusinessGhana - October 3rd, 2021
- We don't have any contract with NSA Kwame Baah Nuako - Myjoyonline - October 3rd, 2021
- Even the CIA and NSA Use Ad Blockers to Stay Safe Online - WIRED - September 27th, 2021
- Who's Worried About the State of Online Advertising? The NSA and CIA, For Starters. - InsideHook - September 27th, 2021
- Even the NSA Agrees: Targeted Ads Are Terrifying - Gizmodo - September 27th, 2021
- The NSA and the CIA use ad blocking tools to stay safe - BOB fm - September 27th, 2021
- NSA welcomes the lifting of a ban on British lamb imports by USA | News and Star - News & Star - September 27th, 2021
- Policies of Indian govt not in favor of entire region: NSA - Dunya News - September 27th, 2021
- JUMP Global Technology Advisors And IronNet Launch Strategic Initiative To Protect The Entertainment Industry From Cyber Attacks - Yahoo Finance - September 27th, 2021
- Opinion: You do have something to hide Scot Scoop News - Scot Scoop News - September 27th, 2021
- Edward Snowden releases statement against using ExpressVPN on his Twitter: Here's Why - Republic World - September 27th, 2021
- WTC attacks: Tale of how NSA failed to act on intel communications - The News International - September 12th, 2021
- Intelligence remains effective instrument in fighting insurgency NSA - Punch Newspapers - September 12th, 2021
- The low-down on the latest NSA Member ID and Advanced EOB Requirements - Healthcare Dive - September 12th, 2021
- Bikru ambush: NSA invoked against two aides of gangster Vikas Dubey - The Indian Express - September 12th, 2021
- The Other 20-Year Anniversary: Freedom and Surveillance Post-9/11 - EFF - September 12th, 2021
- INS Dhruv to be commissioned on September 10 by NSA Doval: All you need to know about the N-missile tracking ship - Jagran Josh - September 12th, 2021
- Actions of IT giants pave the way for states to monopolize data Snowden - TASS - September 4th, 2021
- NSA: We 'don't know when or even if' a quantum computer will ever be able to break today's public-key encryption - The Register - September 4th, 2021
- The Scandalous History of the Last Rotor Cipher Machine - IEEE Spectrum - September 4th, 2021
- What does NSA, FWB, MBA mean? Modern dating lingo ... - August 26th, 2021
- NSA, Kazak security council secy discuss evolving situation in Afghanistan - Associated Press of Pakistan - August 26th, 2021
- Terrorists attacking Chinese nationals not to be spared: NSA - The News International - August 26th, 2021
- Back to inspections at NSA sheep sale at Builth Wells - The Scottish Farmer - August 26th, 2021
- Former NSA O'Brien: Every Serious Person Knows This Is Biden's Disaster - The Federalist - August 26th, 2021
- NSA boss appeals for increase in budget allocation to Sports Ministry - Myjoyonline - August 26th, 2021
- India steps up coordination with Russia on Afghan theatre as Deputy NSA visits Moscow - Economic Times - August 26th, 2021
- Afghanistan Turmoil: Indian national evacuation, UNHRC session to BRICS NSA meet- What you need to know abo... - Zee Business - August 26th, 2021
- On/Off: Super-Easy NSA Tips that Protect Your Phone from Hackers - 08/23/2021 - Mediarun Search - August 26th, 2021
- Buhari is not ready to leave office as failure -NSA - Internatinal Centre For Investigative Reporting - August 26th, 2021
- Embracing lifelong learning to keep active and socially connected - The Straits Times - August 26th, 2021
- Federal oversight of the Oakland Police Department may be nearing its end, attorneys say - The Oaklandside - August 26th, 2021
- Full NSA Sullivan Interview: Kabul Evacuation Is Very Risky and Dangerous - The Global Herald - The Global Herald - August 26th, 2021
- Rubio takes an interest in the right's NSA conspiracy theory - MSNBC - August 6th, 2021
- Congress pressures US spy agencies as Tucker Carlson feuds with NSA - Yahoo News - August 6th, 2021
- Cybersecurity among '4 pillars of cooperation' in NSA meeting between India, SL, Maldives - Republic World - August 6th, 2021
- Congress pressures US spy agencies as Tucker Carlson feuds with NSA - Denver Gazette - August 4th, 2021
- NSA recommends rebooting a phone every week to stop hacking - The Indian Express - August 4th, 2021
- Worried about smartphone hackers? Turn your phone off, back on, says NSA - WRAL Tech Wire - August 4th, 2021
- Achievers: Sheriff elected to National Sheriffs Association Executive Committee - Oklahoman.com - August 4th, 2021
- Tucker Carlson asked for an interview with Putin at the time of the NSA spys allegations - Illinoisnewstoday.com - August 4th, 2021
- 3 Of The Most Pervasive Internet Surveillance Programs Ran By GCHQ And The NSA - Patheos - August 4th, 2021
- We havent invoked the National Security Act in wrong cases, says Yogi Adityanath - The Hindu - August 4th, 2021
- Simple action can thwart top phone hackers - York Dispatch - August 4th, 2021
- Andy Harris, GOP allies want answers from NSA on Tucker Carlson spy claims - The Star Democrat - July 21st, 2021
- Manipur: Govt using NSA to silence citizens, says activist released after SC order - India Today - July 21st, 2021
- 'Pakistan being targeted through hybrid warfare,' NSA Yusuf says in briefing on Afghan 'abduction' incident - DAWN.com - July 21st, 2021
- Cybersecurity Defense: Recommendations for Companies Impacted by the Biden Administration Executive Order - JD Supra - July 21st, 2021
- The Week that Will Be - Lawfare - Lawfare - July 21st, 2021
- Former NSA director: U.S. needs a new approach to ransomware response - Healthcare IT News - July 18th, 2021
- Rep. Bill Posey Signs GOP Letter to Demand Answers From NSA About Illegally Spying on Fox News Host Tucker Carlson - SpaceCoastDaily.com - July 18th, 2021
- Home, But Not Free: NSA Whistleblower Reality Winner Adjusts to Her Release From Prison - The Texas Observer - July 18th, 2021
- Why NSA Vs Tucker Carlson Is An Alarm Bell For All Americans - The Free Press - July 18th, 2021
- Former NSA official Jen Easterly confirmed as director of CISA - Homeland Preparedness News - July 18th, 2021
- EXCLUSIVE: House Republicans Demand Information From NSA About Allegations The Agency Illegally Spied On Tucker Carlson - Daily Caller - July 18th, 2021
- Unjust provisions of UAPA and NSA have no place in 21st century - Inventiva - July 18th, 2021
- National Security Agency Dismisses Tucker Carlson Surveillance Claims - Variety - June 30th, 2021
- NSA, Cybercom Leader Says Efforts Have Expanded > US DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE > Defense Department News - Department of Defense - June 30th, 2021
- Here's Why Momentum Investors Will Love National Storage (NSA) - Yahoo Finance - June 30th, 2021
- Ghaziabad assault case: NSA invoked against Samajwadi Party leader for making the viral video - Scroll.in - June 30th, 2021
- New Laws Are 'Probably Needed' to Force US Firms to Patch Known Cyber Vulnerabilities, NSA Official Says - Defense One - June 28th, 2021
- Retraction for the article Characterising Vascular Cell Monolayers Usi | NSA - Dove Medical Press - June 28th, 2021
- Amazon buys Wickr, a secure messaging platform even the NSA likes - SlashGear - June 28th, 2021
- Secretive NSA opens doors to new "collaboration center" as cyberthreats mount - CBS News - June 24th, 2021
- NSA Doval calls for action plan against Pak-based terror groups - The Tribune India - June 24th, 2021
- UP govt: Invoke NSA against those involved in religious conversion - The Indian Express - June 24th, 2021
- Pakistan NSA rules out meeting with Indian counterpart on margins of SCO meeting - Hindustan Times - June 24th, 2021
- NSA Publishes Report to Boost Security of Call Processing Systems - ExecutiveGov - June 20th, 2021
- Amit Shah chairs meet on J&K with NSA, heads of R&AW, IB and CRPF - India Today - June 20th, 2021
- Noida: Man faces NSA proceedings for selling fake remdesivir injections and fraud - The Indian Express - June 4th, 2021