Las Vegas chef Gina Marinelli is getting ready to debut her version of an elegant steakhouse, so naturally shes been thinking about premium beef and caviar service and the Las Vegas Raiders.
For Marinelli, it starts with meticulously sourcing meat. Harlo, a Downtown Summerlin steakhouse that plans to have its soft opening on October 25, will cook steaks like Western Reserve filets and Allen Brothers bone-in rib eyes on a wood-fired grill. Marinelli will serve 60-day wet-aged Icon XB wagyu, which ages when it travels from Australia by boat. Shes excited about having California Holstein steaks, including massive 28-day dry-aged bisteccas alla Fiorentina, from Flannery Beef. Shell also serve Flannerys beloved Jorge cut, which is a thick steak with a full rib from the chuck end of a prime rib.
Marinelli is a big fan of Flannerys steaks and also of the narrative behind the meat. Flannery Beef is a family business run by a father-daughter team, Bryan and Katie Flannery, and their beautifully marbled beef is from dairy cattle.
Its not going to be a steak that goes all the way across the plate like people are kind of used to, Marinelli says. This is going to stand up super thick, and it has such a presence. But dry-aging is what Flannery is known for. Theres something magical about the mold that Katie has developed inside that dry-aging room. Shes actually trying to study the DNA sequence of the mold. I just love partnering with her. I love seeing another powerful woman coming forward and producing a cut of beef that people arent typically going to see out here in Vegas yet.
Marinelli, who was the executive chef at Scott Conants D.O.C.G. at The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas before she opened game-changing off-Strip Italian sensation La Strega in 2019, is driven by a desire to give Las Vegas new experiences. At Harlo, a 180-seat colossus thats twice the size of La Strega, she will up the ante with caviar service thats purposefully unlike anything else in Las Vegas.
Chef Gina Marinelli is following up her hit Italian restaurant.Photo: courtesy Harlo
When we opened La Strega, we started to bring in caviar from Italy and it really kind of took off and it was fun, she says. I used to go to The Riddler in San Francisco and I loved the way they did caviar. It was, like, very bougie but playful.
So at Harlo, Marinelli will serve Bulgarian caviar (which is harvested by the family of Bulgarian-born Vegas chef Nina Manchev, who runs Forte Tapas) with accompaniments like scallion pancakes, gnocco fritto and latkes.
Its going to be on a caviar cart, and everythings going to get weighed, and its really going to be an over-the-top and fun way to enjoy caviar, Marinelli says.
Harlo is the latest restaurant developed by The Lev Group, the off-Strip hospitality powerhouse behind La Strega and Al Solito Posto. And this steakhouse is opening at a shopping center in Summerlin because the team behind Harlo recognizes a prime opportunity in an affluent community known for its philanthropy and its mansions inhabited by casino bosses, pro athletes and other A-listers.
Las Vegas is underserved off the Strip, says Jeffrey Fine, CEO of The Lev Group. All the focus for a long time was Strip restaurants while other cities were building out their local restaurant scene. Were just seeing a huge underserved market for off-the-Strip restaurants. Theres a need for the right concepts in the right places, doing the right things and doing the things that were going to do here.
One factor that should add buzz to Harlo is Marinellis direct tie to the Las Vegas Raiders. Her father, Rod, is the defensive line coach for the NFL franchise. Shes cooked for events at the teams headquarters and also made dinner for some of the players at La Strega.
Obviously, my father is going to go wherever I am, Marinelli says. If I open a hot dog stand, hes going to be my number one client. I know hell be supportive. But whats also nice is that we have a place for these players to come and really feel comfortable. Were just here to cook for them. They feel really at ease. Its good that they know they can go to the steakhouse, have a quiet booth in the corner and get treated great. Itll feel like family because thats what this is. Hopefully when were celebrating wins, they can come out here and have a great piece of meat.
What Marinelli promises is an experience that rivals top-tier Strip restaurants, with everything from the martinis to the desserts living up to the standards of high-end casinos. Harlo, she stresses, is a restaurant staffed with kitchen veterans and front-of-the-house aces from the Strip.
The food is going to be the same quality, same integrity as the Strip, she says. But Im going to highlight the service and the way its going to feel in here. The level of service is going to be superior than whats on the Strip. We have people that have been at Costa di Mare, Giada and the NoMad, and were kind of like a motley crew that has come together to produce one of the best restaurants in the city.
Marinelli is sourcing meat from the outstanding Flannery Beef in California.courtesy Flannery
Marinelli can do caviar service the way she wants because Harlo has a talented pastry chef, Alberto Rodriguez, that she previously worked with at The Cosmopolitan. Rodriguez is creating breads, lavash, seasonal souffles, chocolate cake and a dessert that Harlo is calling pumpkin patch while he also fine-tunes what will be on the caviar cart.
Dont worry, Marinelli says. He hates me right now, but its going to be incredible. We just sprinkle a lot of global infusions and a little bit of Italian on some things.
And while Harlo isnt intended to be an Italian steakhouse, fans of Marinellis cooking at La Strega will be happy to know that they can order steaks with a side of baked pasta. For example, Marinellis planning to serve baked rigatoni with a spicy puttanesca sauce and also will make vegetarian truffle-ricotta raviolini with celery-root butter and maitake mushrooms.
Another way Harlo wants to distinguish itself from other steakhouses is with its riffs on seafood towers. In addition to crudo and chilled shellfish, there will be hot seafood towers with smoked chili butter and grilled bread. Imagine lobster, king crab, mussels, clams, bay scallops, slices of fish and an elaborate presentation involving candles and a paella pan.
Its going to showcase all that seafood coming together, mixed together, all the shells coming together, all the liquid coming out of them, Marinelli says. Im telling you, you sell one and the whole dining rooms going to smell it and thats what theyre gonna want to order.
Read the original post:
- Las Vegas tourism up in 2021, but still low compared to 2019 - KLAS - 8 News Now - January 28th, 2022
- 8 Ways to Celebrate the Year of the Tiger in Las Vegas Restaurants - Eater Vegas - January 28th, 2022
- Im gonna set it on fire, Las Vegas police detail allegations of cheating that led up to womans death - KLAS - 8 News Now - January 28th, 2022
- Where to dine on Valentines Day in Las Vegas - Las Vegas Review-Journal - January 28th, 2022
- Las Vegas man sells one of the worlds rarest coins for $12M - Las Vegas Review-Journal - January 28th, 2022
- Garbage, vandalism taking a toll on parks around the Las Vegas valley - KLAS - 8 News Now - January 28th, 2022
- Las Vegas mother off life support, recovering with hopes of reunion with newborn - FOX5 Las Vegas - January 28th, 2022
- Why Would Patriots Coach Josh McDaniels Pick Raiders Over Texans? - State of The Texans - January 28th, 2022
- Adele Fans Are Worried She Might Give Up Her Las Vegas Gig Altogether - The List - January 28th, 2022
- Las Vegas educators press onand some opt not toamid another COVID surge - Las Vegas Weekly - January 28th, 2022
- Steve Martin, Martin Short announce new shows on the Las Vegas Strip - News3LV - January 28th, 2022
- Book your reservation now for NoMad Library in Las Vegas - Lasvegasmagazine - January 24th, 2022
- Why Las Vegas Is the Top Destination for Trade Shows - BizBash - January 24th, 2022
- SpaceX's Starlink satellites visible over Las Vegas this weekend - KTNV Las Vegas - January 24th, 2022
- Las Vegas dance team honored at this years MLK Day parade - KLAS - 8 News Now - January 24th, 2022
- Las Vegas dispensaries feeling the effects of supply chain issues - FOX5 Las Vegas - January 24th, 2022
- I-Team: Las Vegas Raider Nate Hobbs cited for driving 110 mph nearly 2 weeks after arrest on suspicion of DUI - KLAS - 8 News Now - January 24th, 2022
- Three NoCo Teams Heading to Las Vegas for the National Flag Football Finals - North Forty News - January 24th, 2022
- 1 person injured in planned demolition of US 95 bridge - Las Vegas Review-Journal - January 24th, 2022
- Feldman: Sources inside Michigan think Jim Harbaugh would take Las Vegas Raiders job if offered - The Athletic - January 24th, 2022
- LVMPD officials offer new details on third shooting by officers this year - KTNV Las Vegas - January 19th, 2022
- Largest vintage motorcycle auction returning to Las Vegas this month - FOX5 Las Vegas - January 19th, 2022
- Your Superguide to the week ahead in Las Vegas (January 20-26 edition) - Las Vegas Weekly - January 19th, 2022
- The Jim Harbaugh Situation: Here's What We Know - Wolverine Maven - January 19th, 2022
- Coroner IDs 3 of 4 dead in wrong-way crash on I-15 south of Las Vegas Valley - FOX5 Las Vegas - January 19th, 2022
- Leaving Las Vegas: The Next Q Con May Take Place on Lin Wood's Plantation in South Carolina - Dallas Observer - January 19th, 2022
- Las Vegas family hosts event to educate parents of children with special needs - KTNV Las Vegas - January 17th, 2022
- Las Vegas woman reunited with cat missing for 10 years - FOX5 Las Vegas - January 17th, 2022
- Report: Las Vegas mall shooting suspect turned in by mother - FOX5 Las Vegas - January 17th, 2022
- Father was helping son with eviction before he was fatally shot, Las Vegas police say - FOX5 Las Vegas - January 17th, 2022
- Referee Jerome Boger Benched By NFL After Controversial Call in Bengals vs. Raiders Wild Card Game - Sportscasting - January 17th, 2022
- Coroner IDs 1 of 4 dead in wrong-way crash on I-15 south of Las Vegas Valley - FOX5 Las Vegas - January 17th, 2022
- Broadway in the Hood hosts touring 'American Son' at West Las Vegas Library - FOX5 Las Vegas - January 9th, 2022
- The prettiest new restaurants that opened in Las Vegas in 2021 - Eater Vegas - January 9th, 2022
- COVID-19 surge in Las Vegas creating lack of testing options - KLAS - 8 News Now - January 9th, 2022
- Las Vegas out of running for 2024 Republican National Convention as list of finalists released - KLAS - 8 News Now - January 9th, 2022
- Las Vegas mother pleads guilty by reason of insanity to 3-month-old sons death - KLAS - 8 News Now - January 9th, 2022
- Funding drive for Las Vegas first Super Bowl kicks off this week - Las Vegas Review-Journal - January 9th, 2022
- Police: 2 men ambushed in shooting near Las Vegas Boulevard - KTNV Las Vegas - January 9th, 2022
- Just give me the keys: Several cars, $11,000 stolen in Las Vegas-area carjacking spree - KLAS - 8 News Now - January 9th, 2022
- The most-anticipated restaurant and bar openings in Las Vegas in 2022 - Eater Vegas - January 9th, 2022
- EXCLUSIVE: Las Vegas teen looks forward to 2022 while recovering from rare J&J vaccine reaction - KTNV Las Vegas - January 9th, 2022
- Fire crews train with burning home in southwest Las Vegas - KTNV Las Vegas - January 9th, 2022
- Tiger King Star Arrested For Grand Larceny In Las Vegas - The Blast - January 9th, 2022
- Vegas NYE Parties Rage on Despite COVID Omicron Surge - December 25th, 2021
- Man arrested after UTV crash in North Las Vegas parking lot left woman with serious injury - KTNV Las Vegas - December 25th, 2021
- New Year overflowing with special events for Las Vegas fans - Las Vegas Review-Journal - December 25th, 2021
- Las Vegas Moves Ahead With New Years Eve Parties Amid Omicron - Hollywood Reporter - December 25th, 2021
- Las Vegas hospitals react to Omicron surge in the Silver State - KTNV Las Vegas - December 25th, 2021
- Unlicensed driver faces multiple charges after hit-and-run crash involving Las Vegas officer - FOX5 Las Vegas - December 25th, 2021
- Arizona police step up enforcement on the route to Las Vegas - KJZZ - December 25th, 2021
- 4 things that should be on the Las Vegas Raiders Christmas List - Just Blog Baby - December 25th, 2021
- I-Team: Las Vegas woman kills boyfriend after he points shotgun at 1-year-old while playing game - KLAS - 8 News Now - December 25th, 2021
- Touching up a small area with paint will always be noticeable - Las Vegas Review-Journal - December 25th, 2021
- Raiders Cole Has Had A Cool Experience in the NFL - Sports Illustrated - December 25th, 2021
- NFL Officiating...Why the Disparity? - Sports Illustrated - December 25th, 2021
- 3 things we learned from Lightnings win in Las Vegas - Tampa Bay Times - December 25th, 2021
- Top Round opens on the Las Vegas Strip in 2022 - Eater Vegas - December 25th, 2021
- Las Vegas landlord accused of shooting tenant multiple times in dispute over unpaid rent - FOX5 Las Vegas - December 25th, 2021
- Cleveland Browns vs. Las Vegas Raiders: Week 15 Need to Know - Dawgs By Nature - December 19th, 2021
- Scouting the Browns Week 15 opponent: Las Vegas Raiders - Our Q&A with Silver and Black Pride - Dawgs By Nature - December 19th, 2021
- No. 17 Texas takes on Stanford in Las Vegas - Burnt Orange Nation - December 19th, 2021
- Person hit, killed by vehicle in southwest Las Vegas - FOX5 Las Vegas - December 19th, 2021
- What's the hottest concert ticket in 2022? Pretty much anything in Las Vegas - USA TODAY - December 19th, 2021
- All-American left guard moving on after the Las Vegas Bowl - Badgers Wire - December 19th, 2021
- SB Reacts: Las Vegas Raiders fans belief in the teams direction drops by 15 percent - Silver And Black Pride - December 19th, 2021
- Local product Tyler Johnson looking forward to one last hurrah with his teammates in Las Vegas Bowl - The Arizona Republic - December 19th, 2021
- Las Vegas dumps McCarran, unveils Harry Reid International Airport - Las Vegas Review-Journal - December 17th, 2021
- Suspect in 2 unsolved Las Vegas sexual assaults arrested when he arrives in New York - KLAS - 8 News Now - December 17th, 2021
- Mr. Las Vegas returning to the Strip after nearly 2 years - Las Vegas Review-Journal - December 17th, 2021
- Blue Bell Ice Cream returning to Southern Nevada in spring 2022 - KTNV Las Vegas - December 17th, 2021
- MJ Live moving from The Strat to Tropicana Las Vegas - FOX5 Las Vegas - December 17th, 2021
- CCSD, Las Vegas authorities respond to viral TikTok challenge threatening school shootings - KTNV Las Vegas - December 17th, 2021
- The Doobie Brothers add Las Vegas dates to anniversary tour: 'We don't take it for granted' - USA TODAY - December 17th, 2021
- Mystre nears its 28th anniversary in Las Vegas still spinning heads - KNPR - December 10th, 2021
- The Flamingo, which ushered in Las Vegas glamour and gangsters, turns 75 - KNPR - December 10th, 2021
- $10,000 reward offered as more dogs are poisoned in west Las Vegas - FOX5 Las Vegas - December 10th, 2021
- I-Team: Mother sentenced in case of young sons disappearance in North Las Vegas in 1986 - KLAS - 8 News Now - December 10th, 2021
- Construction of affordable housing community underway in west Las Vegas Valley - FOX5 Las Vegas - December 10th, 2021
- Zappos & Las Vegas Community Will Pay Tribute to Tony Hsieh This Weekend - Footwear News - December 10th, 2021