losing an entire Tube line is among the options that Transport for London may have to consider as a result of its financial crisis, it has been revealed.
TfL finance chief Simon Kilonback said the failure to secure Government cash for long-term repairs and upgrades would have a disastrous impact on the capitals transport network.
Mr Kilonback told the TfL finance committee on Wednesday that TfL could be forced into the full closure of a line or part of a line or smaller reductions across the whole [Underground] network.
He did not name the line most likely to be closed but the Bakerloo and Jubilee lines are reportedly at risk.
The Metropolitan and Hammersmith & City lines could also be options due to lower passenger numbers and overlapping rail or Tube services.
DLR and London Overground services are also at risk, Heidi Alexander, the deputy mayor for transport, told the committee.
A blue sky future is unlikely for TfL
Mr Kilonback said there was a risk that TfL would have to issue a section 114 notice - effectively declaring itself bankrupt and handing responsibility for services back to the Government.
This would mean it would only commit to providing services required by law, such as school buses, taxi licensing, certain road repairs and the Woolwich ferry.
It would also be likely that TfL would seek to run only services where it made a profit, he suggested.
A video of the TfL meeting can be viewed here:
Mayor Sadiq Khan has requested an urgent meeting with Transport Secretary Grant Shapps, but has yet to receive a reply.
TfL commissioner Andy Byford told the TfL finance committee there was less than three weeks to save TfL and the London recovery.
He said: I never thought I would say this but getting the Elizabeth line across the line seems a darn sight easier than trying to sort this one out.
TfL commissioner Andy Byford: Funding crisis is even worse than Crossrail
Mr Byford has written to the permanent secretary at the Department for Transport requesting the start of negotiations. He said he was desperate to avoid what happened in the last bail-out, when agreement was only reached with 11 minutes to go before the deal expired.
Passengers are also likely to face a bumper fares hike from the New Year. TfLs plans expect a rise of the RPI rate of interest plus one per cent.
This is likely to mean an extra five per cent on fares, though Mr Khan has the final decision.
TfL ticketing chief Shashi Verma said: This is the city with the highest public transport fares in the world to start off with.
Mr Kilonback said: I think we unfortunately face the situation we first faced back in May 2020, where we are going to have to consider what is required under statute, and say that under S114 of the local Government Finance Act we cannot see a way to balance the budget.
That requires us to commute all expenditure other than that which is required for statutory purposes, which are very limited in terms of the transport services we operate, and to continue to run things that contribute to getting out of the problem and to stop anything which makes the problem worse.
Whereas in the past, certainly the Tube and some of our rail services were covering their operating costs. That isnt the case today. This is not a threat. Its the reality of the statutory position we are in, given the lack of certainty over funding.
A TfL spokeswoman, asked whether Londons fares were the highest in the world, said: In London, 72 per cent of the operating costs of running the TfL network are covered completely by fares and another 14 per cent by other commercial revenues.
Other cities cover a much larger proportion of their costs from government subsidies or dedicated taxes.
View original post here:
- 'I would use the word terrifying' | Lessons learned 10 years later from Stockton's historic bankruptcy - ABC10.com KXTV - June 29th, 2022
- Laos Is On the Brink of Sovereign Bankruptcy - The Diplomat - June 29th, 2022
- Analysis: Meme stock investors bet on bankrupt Revlon being the next Hertz - Reuters - June 29th, 2022
- NYC Office Tower Ch. 11 Shines Light On Blocking Provisions - Law360 - June 29th, 2022
- The interplay between benefits under a trust and bankruptcy: A beneficiary cannot shield its obligations to creditors by hiding behind the terms of a... - June 29th, 2022
- Connecticut Bankruptcy Courts Rule That New Homestead Act Applies Retroactively to Claims Arising Before Acts Effective Date - JD Supra - June 29th, 2022
- [COLUMN] Is there life after bankruptcy? - Asian Journal News - June 29th, 2022
- ERGO Analysing Developments Impacting Business: Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (Insolvency Resolution Process for Corporate Persons) (Second... - June 29th, 2022
- Katie Price dodges another court date as bankruptcy hearing put back to 2023 - Yahoo News - June 22nd, 2022
- Injuries, Creative Bankruptcy Force WWE to Turn to John Cena, Brock Lesnar - Bleacher Report - June 22nd, 2022
- Artesian Builds auctions thousands of PC components to pay off bankruptcy - Wccftech - June 22nd, 2022
- Telangana on the brink of bankruptcy due to Central Govt, RBI curbs - The Siasat Daily - June 22nd, 2022
- The Powers Of The Foreign Bankrupt Company And The Foreign Bankruptcy Administrator To Act Before The Swiss Authorities In Case Of Fraud -... - June 22nd, 2022
- Debt Consolidation Vs. Bankruptcy: What Is The Difference? Forbes Advisor - Forbes - June 20th, 2022
- Imps Week In Wrestling Vince McMahon: Hush Money and Creative Bankruptcy - Wrestling Headlines - June 20th, 2022
- TPC Group files for bankruptcy with thousands still awaiting payouts; attorney Brent Coon responds - Port Arthur News - The Port Arthur News - June 5th, 2022
- Bankruptcy 101: Lease Assumption, Assignment, and Rejection - Bankruptcy Basics for New and Non-Bankruptcy Attorneys - JD Supra - June 5th, 2022
- Amber Heard can't file for bankruptcy to wipe $15 million she now owes Johnny Depp - Marca English - June 5th, 2022
- Why Now Is the Perfect Time to Declare 'Meeting Bankruptcy' and Rethink Your Schedule - Inc. - June 5th, 2022
- It's the Law: What can I keep in bankruptcy? - Post Register - June 5th, 2022
- Truth Social Buyer Warns of Bankruptcy Risk Given Trump's Past Failures - Newsweek - May 17th, 2022
- Canadian businesses bankruptcies surge and some fear this is just the beginning - Toronto Star - May 17th, 2022
- Violations of the Bankruptcy Discharge Injunction | Freeman Law - JDSupra - JD Supra - May 17th, 2022
- SCOTUS To Review Spending Clause, Overtime, and Bankruptcy Fraud - The National Law Review - May 17th, 2022
- Is BBBY Stock Headed for Bankruptcy? One Analyst Thinks So. - InvestorPlace - May 17th, 2022
- Ukraine Has Exposed The Bankruptcy Of Germany's "Never Again" Pacifism - Worldcrunch - May 17th, 2022
- Violations Of The Bankruptcy Discharge Injunction - Insolvency/Bankruptcy - United States - Mondaq - May 9th, 2022
- Total April Bankruptcy Filings Decrease 21 Percent Over the Same Period Last Year - GlobeNewswire - May 9th, 2022
- What's happening in Sri Lanka? Country facing worst economic crisis and on the brink of bankruptcy - Sky News - May 9th, 2022
- A&G Bankruptcy Sale Offers Over 50 Properties in and around Manhattan, Kansas - PR Newswire - May 9th, 2022
- Al Zawawi and 109(a): Parsing What It Means to Be a Debtor Under Chapter 15 - JD Supra - May 9th, 2022
- Sri Lanka Is on the Brink of Bankruptcy - The Diplomat - May 9th, 2022
- A Day Late and Nearly $5 Million Short?: Legislation Introduced to Make Permanent the $7.5 Million Subchapter V Debt Limit As Temporary Extensions... - March 29th, 2022
- [COLUMN] Bankruptcy: When you've done everything you can but it's still not good enough - Asian Journal News - March 29th, 2022
- New Slovak legislation on solving threatened bankruptcy - Lexology - March 29th, 2022
- Two Recent Chapter 15 Cases Clarify Just How Low the Bar Is for Recognition - JD Supra - March 29th, 2022
- The Parent Company of These Steakhouses Just Filed For Bankruptcy Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - March 26th, 2022
- Medical debt isn't all that indicative of bankruptcy - Washington Examiner - March 26th, 2022
- 'Broken heart': Read the CEO's letter to Black News Channel employees announcing closure - Tallahassee Democrat - March 26th, 2022
- Meet Nicole Barham: From Bankruptcy Court To Entrepreneur Helping Other Women Design Their Wealth - Black Enterprise - March 26th, 2022
- Seadrill Expects to Emerge from Bankruptcy This Week - The Maritime Executive - February 24th, 2022
- Solomon: Is it too late to save more restaurants from bankruptcy? - Boston Herald - February 24th, 2022
- Is It Too Late to Save More Restaurants From Bankruptcy? InsideSources - InsideSources - February 21st, 2022
- Bankruptcy resolution shifting to fast track - Mint - February 21st, 2022
- Philippine Airlines soars from brink of bankruptcy to profitability: how it happened - Gulf News - February 21st, 2022
- Pensions: what's new this week February 2022 # 3 | Allen & Overy LLP - JDSupra - JD Supra - February 21st, 2022
- Senior Living Drives Health Care Industry Distress in Final Quarter of 2021 - GlobeNewswire - February 21st, 2022
- Months of debts, promises and guilt trips: Woman declares bankruptcy after $240k 'pig-butchering' scam - AsiaOne - February 21st, 2022
- Five years of Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code: A promising journey - BusinessLine - February 21st, 2022
- Chapter 11 Bankruptcy: What You Need To Know - Forbes - February 19th, 2022
- These Restaurants Are Nearing Bankruptcy, Recent Data Shows Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - February 19th, 2022
- Podcast: The awful sound of Shelley Luthers moral bankruptcy - San Antonio Express-News - February 19th, 2022
- What You Need to Know About Filing for Bankruptcy with a Reverse Mortgage - Lawyers.com Blog - February 19th, 2022
- Florida Orange Forecast Drops and Chapter 12 Farm Bankruptcy Filings Down - AG INFORMATION NETWORK OF THE WEST - AGInfo Ag Information Network Of The... - February 19th, 2022
- Evander Kane bankruptcy trustee wants to sue firm that arranged his loans - The Athletic - February 19th, 2022
- 2021 was one of the worst years in decades for BigLaw bankruptcy practices - ABA Journal - February 15th, 2022
- Lawyers in 2 states sanctioned over association with national bankruptcy law firm - ABA Journal - February 15th, 2022
- Bankruptcy Discharge: What Is It? Forbes Advisor - Forbes - February 15th, 2022
- A Wave of Bankruptcies and Foreclosures Appears to be Building - Kiplinger's Personal Finance - February 15th, 2022
- Latham & Watkins Advises Huachen Energy on Innovative Bond Restructuring and the First-Ever US Chapter 15 Recognition of a PRC Bankruptcy... - February 15th, 2022
- How PMPML drove on the long route to bankruptcy - Hindustan Times - February 15th, 2022
- The Moral Bankruptcy of a Violent StateProtesting Prison Expansion & Documenting Police Beatings at the Arkansas State Capitol (INCLUDING VIDEO).... - February 15th, 2022
- Cross-Border Bankruptcy Cases: Chapter 15 of the Bankruptcy Code and Parameters of a Discovery Tool - JD Supra - February 15th, 2022
- Bankruptcy Court Protects Creditors And Banks Holding Garnished Funds - Lexology - February 15th, 2022
- They ask to decree the bankruptcy of Correo Argentino: the decision will fall on the Economic Criminal Chamber - Then24.com - February 15th, 2022
- Richard Osman's House of Games: David James' life from bankruptcy to unusual second career - Birmingham Live - February 15th, 2022
- Lawyers to discuss whether letters to archbishop will be included in bankruptcy trial - Guam Pacific Daily News - February 11th, 2022
- Guatemala - changes in the regulations regarding insolvencies and bankruptcy: approval of the law on insolvencies, by virtue of which the existing... - February 11th, 2022
- Driving While Unimpaired Delaware Judge Issues Important Ruling in Hertz Chapter 11 Case on Allowance of Make-Whole Premiums, Treatment of Unimpaired... - February 11th, 2022
- End the free passes at bankruptcy court - bedfordgazette.com - February 9th, 2022
- Moving Up: Bankruptcy Code Dollar Amounts Will Increase On April 1, 2022 - Insolvency/Bankruptcy/Re-structuring - United States - Mondaq News Alerts - February 9th, 2022
- Bifurcated Fee Agreements Approved in Southern District of Florida, But Barred in Western District of Kentucky - JD Supra - February 9th, 2022
- Bankruptcy court temporarily stays auction of Gujarat-based Sterling Biotech - Economic Times - February 9th, 2022
- Puerto Rico may be nearing the end of bankruptcy. What does this mean? - ABC News - February 7th, 2022
- One-year bankruptcy is back on the table - Insolvency/Bankruptcy/Re-structuring - Australia - Mondaq News Alerts - February 7th, 2022
- Novosibirsk court began bankruptcy proceedings for an operator for the treatment of MSW - Then24 - February 7th, 2022
- Andrew Garfield Once Explained Why Bankruptcy Was the 'Best Thing' to Happen to His Family - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - February 7th, 2022
- Bankruptcy confusion leads to loss of home - New Zealand Herald - February 7th, 2022
- U.S. Court Of Appeals and Bankruptcy Appellate Panel ... - February 5th, 2022
- Brian Serpone takes the Fifth at Levee Breaks bankruptcy hearing - Cape Cod Times - February 5th, 2022