Sri Lankan auto rickshaw drivers queue up to buy petrol near a fuel station in Colombo, Sri Lanka, Wednesday, April 13, 2022.
Sri Lankas economy is in dire straits with its usable foreign reserves down to less than $50 million, the countrys finance minister said Wednesday.
Ali Sabry was speaking to Parliament after returning to Sri Lanka from talks with the International Monetary Fund. He said any IMF rescue program, including a rapid financing instrument needed to urgently resolve shortages of essential goods, would depend on negotiations on debt restructuring with creditors and would take six months to implement.
Sri Lanka is on the brink of bankruptcy and has suspended payments on its foreign loans. Its economic miseries have brought on a political crisis, with the government facing a protests and a no-confidence motion in Parliament.
The country is due to repay $7 billion this year of the $25 billion in foreign loans it is scheduled to pay by 2026.
Get briefed on the story of the week, and developing stories to watch across the Asia-Pacific.
There is a severe risk in front of all of us, said Sabri. He said Sri Lankas reserves stood at $7.6 billion at the end of 2019 and fell to $5.7 billion by the end of 2020 as payments outpaced inflows of foreign currency amid the pandemic.
Enjoying this article? Click here to subscribe for full access. Just $5 a month.
The reserves declined to $3.1 billion by the end of 2021, and to $1.9 billion by the end of March, he said. With foreign currency in short supply thanks to less tourism and other revenues, official reserves were tapped to pay for importing essentials including fuel, gas, coal and medicines beginning in August 2021.
The bulk of Sri Lankas remaining reserves including a $1 billion equivalent SWAP facility from China, are not usable for settling dollar-denominated payments, he said.
Sabris comments came a day after the countrys main opposition party issued a no-confidence motion aiming at ousting Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa and his Cabinet.
The opposition United Peoples Force blames the government of failing in its constitutional duty to provide decent living standards. It accuses top government officials of excessively printing money, hurting farm production by banning chemical fertilizers to make the production fully organic and minimize import costs, failing to order COVID-19 vaccines in a timely manner and buying them later at higher prices.
A date has not yet been announced for a vote on the no-confidence motion.
The foreign currency crisis has limited imports and caused severe shortages of essential goods like fuel, cooking gas, medicine and food. People must line up for hours to buy what they can and many return home with little, if any, of what they were seeking.
Protests have spread demanding the resignations of Mahinda Rajapaksa, who heads an influential clan that has held power for most of the past two decades, and his younger brother, President Gotabaya Rajapaksa. An occupation of the entrance to the presidents office by protesters demanding the Rajapaksas resign was in its 26th day on Wednesday.
So far, the Rajapaksa brothers have resisted calls to resign, though three other Rajapaksas out of the five who are lawmakers stepped down from their Cabinet posts in mid-April.
Sabri said Sri Lanka was in the process of appointing legal and financial advisers for negotiations on restructuring its foreign debt.
This is an economic crisis. The economic crisis has created a political crisis. It is important to resolve the political crisis in order to find solutions to the economic crisis, Sabri said.
Here is the original post:
- Bankruptcy Basics Glossary | United States Courts - October 23rd, 2022
- Cash crunch caused Thrifty Propane to file for bankruptcy: statement - WJW FOX 8 News Cleveland - October 19th, 2022
- Chinese Steel Manufacturers On The Brink Of Bankruptcy - OilPrice.com - October 19th, 2022
- Pennsylvania Bankruptcy Court Finds That Consent and Release Do Not Protect Against Wrongful Foreclosure Claim - JD Supra - October 19th, 2022
- Congressional Candidate Critical of Loan Forgiveness Sought to Have Student Debt Cleared Via Bankruptcy - NBC4 Washington - October 19th, 2022
- Bloomberg Tax Introduces New Portfolio Addressing Employee Benefits and Bankruptcy - PR Newswire - October 19th, 2022
- Alex Jones claims bankruptcy: How will Sandy Hook families get paid? - Grid - October 19th, 2022
- Bankruptcy - Michigan - October 17th, 2022
- PFC to take RattanIndia plant to bankruptcy court this year | Mint - Mint - October 17th, 2022
- Significant Fee increases for Bankruptcy and Winding-Up Petitions on the way - Lexology - October 17th, 2022
- US Bankruptcy Court NJ - Live Database - October 15th, 2022
- It Is Time To Change Bankruptcy Forum Laws - Patent - United States - Mondaq - October 13th, 2022
- Judge in Archdiocese of Santa Fe bankruptcy sets proposed timeline to pay abuse victims - Yahoo News - October 13th, 2022
- CMS Protests QHC Bankruptcy Plan Will Not Cover $1M Owed to Agency - Skilled Nursing News - October 13th, 2022
- As Jury Deliberates In CT, Alex Jones And His Lawyers Are Setting Fire To Each Other In TX Bankruptcy Court - Above the Law - October 13th, 2022
- Student loans are notoriously difficult to discharge in bankruptcy. A new bill could change that - Fortune - October 13th, 2022
- Pioneering computer science alumnus battles bankruptcy and more on road to graduation - Oklahoma State University - October 13th, 2022
- J&J Talc Bankruptcy 'Bad Faith' Claims Go Before Third Circuit - Bloomberg Law - September 20th, 2022
- New amendments to bankruptcy code can maximise recovery of stressed assets - DNA India - September 20th, 2022
- Judge reports threats, harassment over J&J talc bankruptcy - Reuters - September 17th, 2022
- Why OxyContin maker Purdue Pharma is still in bankruptcy: 'There's been risk in this process all along' - CT Insider - September 17th, 2022
- Regal Theaters To Close Calabasas Location Amid Bankruptcy Filing - Patch - September 17th, 2022
- The Bankruptcy Law Star And Why She Loves What She Does - Lawfuel - September 17th, 2022
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, District of Arizona - August 29th, 2022
- Sandy Hook families say Alex Jones is hiding assets while claiming bankruptcy - The Hill - August 29th, 2022
- SsangYongs rehabilitation plan earns the approval of the Seoul bankruptcy court - EconoTimes - August 29th, 2022
- Energy firms refusing to supply small UK businesses over bankruptcy fears - The Guardian - August 25th, 2022
- Chattanooga's Venue Church files for bankruptcy as leaders vow it will survive and pay off debts - Chattanooga Times Free Press - August 25th, 2022
- The Evolution of Electronic Service of Bankruptcy Notices - Lexology - August 25th, 2022
- MoviePass co-founder bought back its assets after a bankruptcy auction. Now hes back for a second run - Fortune - August 25th, 2022
- Vulnerability of Customers Crypto in Bankruptcy; Is Help on the Way? - JD Supra - August 25th, 2022
- The Future Of Small Business Bankruptcies And Creditors' Committees After The SBRA: In Re Bonert And In Re Lear Capital - Insolvency/Bankruptcy -... - August 25th, 2022
- Nearly One-in-Five Canadian Small Businesses on the Verge of Bankruptcy: CFIB Survey - The Epoch Times - August 25th, 2022
- 'I would use the word terrifying' | Lessons learned 10 years later from Stockton's historic bankruptcy - ABC10.com KXTV - June 29th, 2022
- Laos Is On the Brink of Sovereign Bankruptcy - The Diplomat - June 29th, 2022
- Analysis: Meme stock investors bet on bankrupt Revlon being the next Hertz - Reuters - June 29th, 2022
- NYC Office Tower Ch. 11 Shines Light On Blocking Provisions - Law360 - June 29th, 2022
- The interplay between benefits under a trust and bankruptcy: A beneficiary cannot shield its obligations to creditors by hiding behind the terms of a... - June 29th, 2022
- Connecticut Bankruptcy Courts Rule That New Homestead Act Applies Retroactively to Claims Arising Before Acts Effective Date - JD Supra - June 29th, 2022
- [COLUMN] Is there life after bankruptcy? - Asian Journal News - June 29th, 2022
- ERGO Analysing Developments Impacting Business: Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (Insolvency Resolution Process for Corporate Persons) (Second... - June 29th, 2022
- Katie Price dodges another court date as bankruptcy hearing put back to 2023 - Yahoo News - June 22nd, 2022
- Injuries, Creative Bankruptcy Force WWE to Turn to John Cena, Brock Lesnar - Bleacher Report - June 22nd, 2022
- Artesian Builds auctions thousands of PC components to pay off bankruptcy - Wccftech - June 22nd, 2022
- Telangana on the brink of bankruptcy due to Central Govt, RBI curbs - The Siasat Daily - June 22nd, 2022
- The Powers Of The Foreign Bankrupt Company And The Foreign Bankruptcy Administrator To Act Before The Swiss Authorities In Case Of Fraud -... - June 22nd, 2022
- Debt Consolidation Vs. Bankruptcy: What Is The Difference? Forbes Advisor - Forbes - June 20th, 2022
- Imps Week In Wrestling Vince McMahon: Hush Money and Creative Bankruptcy - Wrestling Headlines - June 20th, 2022
- TPC Group files for bankruptcy with thousands still awaiting payouts; attorney Brent Coon responds - Port Arthur News - The Port Arthur News - June 5th, 2022
- Bankruptcy 101: Lease Assumption, Assignment, and Rejection - Bankruptcy Basics for New and Non-Bankruptcy Attorneys - JD Supra - June 5th, 2022
- Amber Heard can't file for bankruptcy to wipe $15 million she now owes Johnny Depp - Marca English - June 5th, 2022
- Why Now Is the Perfect Time to Declare 'Meeting Bankruptcy' and Rethink Your Schedule - Inc. - June 5th, 2022
- It's the Law: What can I keep in bankruptcy? - Post Register - June 5th, 2022
- Truth Social Buyer Warns of Bankruptcy Risk Given Trump's Past Failures - Newsweek - May 17th, 2022
- Canadian businesses bankruptcies surge and some fear this is just the beginning - Toronto Star - May 17th, 2022
- Violations of the Bankruptcy Discharge Injunction | Freeman Law - JDSupra - JD Supra - May 17th, 2022
- SCOTUS To Review Spending Clause, Overtime, and Bankruptcy Fraud - The National Law Review - May 17th, 2022
- Is BBBY Stock Headed for Bankruptcy? One Analyst Thinks So. - InvestorPlace - May 17th, 2022
- Ukraine Has Exposed The Bankruptcy Of Germany's "Never Again" Pacifism - Worldcrunch - May 17th, 2022
- Violations Of The Bankruptcy Discharge Injunction - Insolvency/Bankruptcy - United States - Mondaq - May 9th, 2022
- Total April Bankruptcy Filings Decrease 21 Percent Over the Same Period Last Year - GlobeNewswire - May 9th, 2022
- What's happening in Sri Lanka? Country facing worst economic crisis and on the brink of bankruptcy - Sky News - May 9th, 2022
- A&G Bankruptcy Sale Offers Over 50 Properties in and around Manhattan, Kansas - PR Newswire - May 9th, 2022
- Al Zawawi and 109(a): Parsing What It Means to Be a Debtor Under Chapter 15 - JD Supra - May 9th, 2022
- A Day Late and Nearly $5 Million Short?: Legislation Introduced to Make Permanent the $7.5 Million Subchapter V Debt Limit As Temporary Extensions... - March 29th, 2022
- [COLUMN] Bankruptcy: When you've done everything you can but it's still not good enough - Asian Journal News - March 29th, 2022
- New Slovak legislation on solving threatened bankruptcy - Lexology - March 29th, 2022
- Two Recent Chapter 15 Cases Clarify Just How Low the Bar Is for Recognition - JD Supra - March 29th, 2022
- The Parent Company of These Steakhouses Just Filed For Bankruptcy Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - March 26th, 2022
- Medical debt isn't all that indicative of bankruptcy - Washington Examiner - March 26th, 2022
- 'Broken heart': Read the CEO's letter to Black News Channel employees announcing closure - Tallahassee Democrat - March 26th, 2022
- Meet Nicole Barham: From Bankruptcy Court To Entrepreneur Helping Other Women Design Their Wealth - Black Enterprise - March 26th, 2022
- Seadrill Expects to Emerge from Bankruptcy This Week - The Maritime Executive - February 24th, 2022
- Solomon: Is it too late to save more restaurants from bankruptcy? - Boston Herald - February 24th, 2022
- Is It Too Late to Save More Restaurants From Bankruptcy? InsideSources - InsideSources - February 21st, 2022
- Bankruptcy resolution shifting to fast track - Mint - February 21st, 2022
- Philippine Airlines soars from brink of bankruptcy to profitability: how it happened - Gulf News - February 21st, 2022
- Pensions: what's new this week February 2022 # 3 | Allen & Overy LLP - JDSupra - JD Supra - February 21st, 2022
- Senior Living Drives Health Care Industry Distress in Final Quarter of 2021 - GlobeNewswire - February 21st, 2022
- Months of debts, promises and guilt trips: Woman declares bankruptcy after $240k 'pig-butchering' scam - AsiaOne - February 21st, 2022