Riverbed Technology has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection with a view to implementing a "prepackaged" financial restructuring plan to eliminate debts of $1.1bn following struggles caused by the pandemic.
The SD-WAN and WAN optimisation biz first signalled intent to enter into a Restructuring Support Agreement last month, which it said is fully supported by all its voting lenders, as well as private equity majority owners, Thoma Bravo LLP and Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan (OTPP).
In court papers [PDF] lodged with the US Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware, Riverbed president and CEO Dan Smoot said the "best option" is to "right-size its capital structure and position itself for long-term success."
"Like many similar businesses, Riverbed faced significant COVID-19 related headwinds in 2020, including global supply chain disruptions and labor shortages, which adversely affected Riverbed's financial performance," said Smoot in supporting document [PDF]. "With factories shut down and stay-at-home orders instituted across the globe, Riverbed faced challenges maintaining its global supply chain as well as driving sales through a suddenly fully remote salesforce."
The limitations caused by the pandemic and debt obligations it was bought by Thoma Bravo and OTPP at the end of 2014 for around $3.6bn "significantly constrained liquidity through 2020," the CEO added.
"Compounding these challenges, one of Riverbed's key markets the wide area network optimization market has experienced a general decline in recent years as part of a transition by organizations to alternative location-independent computing technologies."
The business, which employs 1,400 staff and sells to more than 30,000 customers, said the "sustained decrease in workforce participation and declined demand during the pandemic for Riverbed's products and services" kept the pressure on liquidity, leading to the exploration of efforts to reduce its debts to its owners.
"After extensive, arm's length negotiations, Riverbed and these key stakeholders (First and Second Lien lenders and equity sponsors) reached agreement on the comprehensive deleveraging and liquidity enhancing transactions set forth in the structuring support agreement."
Riverbed will halve its $2bn debt through the financial restructuring, according to reports. Debt equity control will be passed to junior lenders and senior loan notes will be converted into new debts and preferred equity, the court filing states.
The financial arrangement will provide Riverbed with an additional $35m "cash infusion." General unsecured claims including trade, vendor, and employee claims will be "unimpaired and reinstated," the court papers say.
In a press statement, Smoot said:
Apollo Partner Chris Lahoud said: "We are pleased to continue our long-term support of Riverbed in this next chapter as they strengthen their financial position to deliver leading performance and visibility solutions to companies around the world.
"Riverbed has an exceptional team and strong market opportunities, and we are confident in their strategy to deliver innovative customer solutions and long-term profitable growth."
Continue reading here:
- Violations Of The Bankruptcy Discharge Injunction - Insolvency/Bankruptcy - United States - Mondaq - May 9th, 2022
- Total April Bankruptcy Filings Decrease 21 Percent Over the Same Period Last Year - GlobeNewswire - May 9th, 2022
- What's happening in Sri Lanka? Country facing worst economic crisis and on the brink of bankruptcy - Sky News - May 9th, 2022
- A&G Bankruptcy Sale Offers Over 50 Properties in and around Manhattan, Kansas - PR Newswire - May 9th, 2022
- Al Zawawi and 109(a): Parsing What It Means to Be a Debtor Under Chapter 15 - JD Supra - May 9th, 2022
- Sri Lanka Is on the Brink of Bankruptcy - The Diplomat - May 9th, 2022
- A Day Late and Nearly $5 Million Short?: Legislation Introduced to Make Permanent the $7.5 Million Subchapter V Debt Limit As Temporary Extensions... - March 29th, 2022
- [COLUMN] Bankruptcy: When you've done everything you can but it's still not good enough - Asian Journal News - March 29th, 2022
- New Slovak legislation on solving threatened bankruptcy - Lexology - March 29th, 2022
- Two Recent Chapter 15 Cases Clarify Just How Low the Bar Is for Recognition - JD Supra - March 29th, 2022
- The Parent Company of These Steakhouses Just Filed For Bankruptcy Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - March 26th, 2022
- Medical debt isn't all that indicative of bankruptcy - Washington Examiner - March 26th, 2022
- 'Broken heart': Read the CEO's letter to Black News Channel employees announcing closure - Tallahassee Democrat - March 26th, 2022
- Meet Nicole Barham: From Bankruptcy Court To Entrepreneur Helping Other Women Design Their Wealth - Black Enterprise - March 26th, 2022
- Seadrill Expects to Emerge from Bankruptcy This Week - The Maritime Executive - February 24th, 2022
- Solomon: Is it too late to save more restaurants from bankruptcy? - Boston Herald - February 24th, 2022
- Is It Too Late to Save More Restaurants From Bankruptcy? InsideSources - InsideSources - February 21st, 2022
- Bankruptcy resolution shifting to fast track - Mint - February 21st, 2022
- Philippine Airlines soars from brink of bankruptcy to profitability: how it happened - Gulf News - February 21st, 2022
- Pensions: what's new this week February 2022 # 3 | Allen & Overy LLP - JDSupra - JD Supra - February 21st, 2022
- Senior Living Drives Health Care Industry Distress in Final Quarter of 2021 - GlobeNewswire - February 21st, 2022
- Months of debts, promises and guilt trips: Woman declares bankruptcy after $240k 'pig-butchering' scam - AsiaOne - February 21st, 2022
- Five years of Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code: A promising journey - BusinessLine - February 21st, 2022
- Chapter 11 Bankruptcy: What You Need To Know - Forbes - February 19th, 2022
- These Restaurants Are Nearing Bankruptcy, Recent Data Shows Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - February 19th, 2022
- Podcast: The awful sound of Shelley Luthers moral bankruptcy - San Antonio Express-News - February 19th, 2022
- What You Need to Know About Filing for Bankruptcy with a Reverse Mortgage - Lawyers.com Blog - February 19th, 2022
- Florida Orange Forecast Drops and Chapter 12 Farm Bankruptcy Filings Down - AG INFORMATION NETWORK OF THE WEST - AGInfo Ag Information Network Of The... - February 19th, 2022
- Evander Kane bankruptcy trustee wants to sue firm that arranged his loans - The Athletic - February 19th, 2022
- 2021 was one of the worst years in decades for BigLaw bankruptcy practices - ABA Journal - February 15th, 2022
- Lawyers in 2 states sanctioned over association with national bankruptcy law firm - ABA Journal - February 15th, 2022
- Bankruptcy Discharge: What Is It? Forbes Advisor - Forbes - February 15th, 2022
- A Wave of Bankruptcies and Foreclosures Appears to be Building - Kiplinger's Personal Finance - February 15th, 2022
- Latham & Watkins Advises Huachen Energy on Innovative Bond Restructuring and the First-Ever US Chapter 15 Recognition of a PRC Bankruptcy... - February 15th, 2022
- How PMPML drove on the long route to bankruptcy - Hindustan Times - February 15th, 2022
- The Moral Bankruptcy of a Violent StateProtesting Prison Expansion & Documenting Police Beatings at the Arkansas State Capitol (INCLUDING VIDEO).... - February 15th, 2022
- Cross-Border Bankruptcy Cases: Chapter 15 of the Bankruptcy Code and Parameters of a Discovery Tool - JD Supra - February 15th, 2022
- Bankruptcy Court Protects Creditors And Banks Holding Garnished Funds - Lexology - February 15th, 2022
- They ask to decree the bankruptcy of Correo Argentino: the decision will fall on the Economic Criminal Chamber - Then24.com - February 15th, 2022
- Richard Osman's House of Games: David James' life from bankruptcy to unusual second career - Birmingham Live - February 15th, 2022
- Lawyers to discuss whether letters to archbishop will be included in bankruptcy trial - Guam Pacific Daily News - February 11th, 2022
- Guatemala - changes in the regulations regarding insolvencies and bankruptcy: approval of the law on insolvencies, by virtue of which the existing... - February 11th, 2022
- Driving While Unimpaired Delaware Judge Issues Important Ruling in Hertz Chapter 11 Case on Allowance of Make-Whole Premiums, Treatment of Unimpaired... - February 11th, 2022
- End the free passes at bankruptcy court - bedfordgazette.com - February 9th, 2022
- Moving Up: Bankruptcy Code Dollar Amounts Will Increase On April 1, 2022 - Insolvency/Bankruptcy/Re-structuring - United States - Mondaq News Alerts - February 9th, 2022
- Bifurcated Fee Agreements Approved in Southern District of Florida, But Barred in Western District of Kentucky - JD Supra - February 9th, 2022
- Bankruptcy court temporarily stays auction of Gujarat-based Sterling Biotech - Economic Times - February 9th, 2022
- Puerto Rico may be nearing the end of bankruptcy. What does this mean? - ABC News - February 7th, 2022
- One-year bankruptcy is back on the table - Insolvency/Bankruptcy/Re-structuring - Australia - Mondaq News Alerts - February 7th, 2022
- Novosibirsk court began bankruptcy proceedings for an operator for the treatment of MSW - Then24 - February 7th, 2022
- Andrew Garfield Once Explained Why Bankruptcy Was the 'Best Thing' to Happen to His Family - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - February 7th, 2022
- Bankruptcy confusion leads to loss of home - New Zealand Herald - February 7th, 2022
- U.S. Court Of Appeals and Bankruptcy Appellate Panel ... - February 5th, 2022
- Brian Serpone takes the Fifth at Levee Breaks bankruptcy hearing - Cape Cod Times - February 5th, 2022
- Amid bankruptcy, breakfast remains off the table at Wilmington K&W - Greater Wilmington Business Journal - February 5th, 2022
- Recent Construction Bankruptcies Highlight Importance of Securing Right to Payment - Levelset - February 5th, 2022
- Small business and bankruptcy: What should you do when your company has too much debt? - USA TODAY - February 5th, 2022
- Invercargill man's bankruptcy confusion leads to loss of home - New Zealand Herald - February 5th, 2022
- Bankruptcy may be an option for those with high-interest student loans - The Denver Channel - February 1st, 2022
- Costly gas drives Ukraine poultry production to bankruptcy - Poultry World - February 1st, 2022
- Montana Vies to Ax Suit Over Businessman's Involuntary Bankruptcy (1) - Bloomberg Law - February 1st, 2022
- Amitabh Bachchan shares Abhisheks video talking about their bankruptcy, how they bounced back: Thats the way we do it - The Indian Express - February 1st, 2022
- Sigfox, the French IoT startup that had raised more than $300M, files for bankruptcy protection as it seeks a buyer - TechCrunch - February 1st, 2022
- The story of Toys R Us' bankruptcy is still unfolding, and it still matters - Retail Dive - January 24th, 2022
- Young Buck Accused Of Hiding Over $100000 In Bankruptcy - AllHipHop - January 24th, 2022
- From Near Bankruptcy To 8 Figures: An Entrepreneurs Story Of Stocks, Online Business And Never Giving Up - Entrepreneur - January 24th, 2022
- Judge Approves Deal to Resolve Puerto Rico Bankruptcy - The New York Times - January 19th, 2022
- When to apply for a credit card after bankruptcy - Bankrate.com - January 19th, 2022
- ANALYSIS: Three Skills Bankruptcy Associates Need to Stand Out - Bloomberg Law - January 19th, 2022
- Judge rejects legal shield in bankruptcy of former Ann Taylor parent - Reuters - January 19th, 2022
- Italy's Moby Files US Bankruptcy in Ongoing Reorganization Battle - The Maritime Executive - January 19th, 2022
- Delaware Bankruptcy Court Rules That Unsecured Creditors Of A Solvent Debtor Are Entitled To Post-Petition Interest At The Federal Judgment Rate, Not... - January 19th, 2022
- Famous Anthony's owners filing for bankruptcy in wake of hepatitis A outbreak - Food Safety News - January 11th, 2022
- Purdue Pharma can appeal rejection of bankruptcy plan - Reuters - January 11th, 2022
- This Beloved Seafood Chain Is Making a Comeback After Bankruptcy Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - January 11th, 2022
- Puerto Rico To Get Bankruptcy OK With Plan Modifications - Law360 - January 11th, 2022
- Bankruptcy Court Holds Arbitration Clause Unenforceable When Underlying Contract Is Rejected Pursuant to Section 365 of the Bankruptcy Code - Lexology - January 11th, 2022
- COMPLIANCE WITH OFFICIAL BANKRUPTCY FORM 105 SATISFIES ASHCROFT V. IQBAL - JD Supra - January 11th, 2022
- The Hong Kong approach where debtors lodge a petition for their own bankruptcy - how to prevent abuse of process - JD Supra - January 11th, 2022
- Corporate Bankruptcy Wave Turns to Dust, Defying Expectations - Bloomberg Law - January 7th, 2022