Government of Montenegro enacted a Bill on amendments of the Bankruptcy Law, in an effort to make the bankruptcy proceedings more efficient and straightforward, but it also offers significant amendments to the provisions regulating bankruptcy administrators appointment and status.
From provisions aiming to provide more sovereignty over the decisions making in the bankruptcy proceedings to changes in the conditions for becoming a bankruptcy administrator, the Bill on amendments has dedicated significant attention to this institute. Amendments regarding rules on appointment of bankruptcy administrator, their status throughout the bankruptcy proceedings and relations with the Board of Creditors (BoC) are included. A bankruptcy administrator shall have to obtain a license after passing an exam and fulfilling a set of conditions including registration in the Registry of licensed bankruptcy administrators. Bankruptcy creditors and debtors will be entitled to file an appeal against the judges decision on appointment of a bankruptcy administrator.
A significant addition in the Bill on amendments is formation of a Register of Bankruptcy Estate (RBE) which would contain information on bankruptcy estate, as well as monitor and update changes to the registered information. RBE would be publicly available and under the authority of Central Registry of Business Entities.
Information on the bankruptcy estate shall be inscribed into the RBE once the bankruptcy proceedings are finalized and most of the estate has been cashed, but there are ongoing proceedings towards the bankruptcy estate. In this case, upon adopting a Decision on conclusion of the bankruptcy proceedings, the bankruptcy judge shall deliver the Decision to the Central Registry of Business Entities.
Proposed amendment to the Article 13 of the Bankruptcy Law (Official Gazette of Montenegro no. 001/11, 053/16, 032/18, 062/18) (Bankruptcy Law) offers a long-needed clarification to an article that has been differently interpreted in the practice. Per the Bill on amendments, Article 13 of the Bankruptcy Law shall be subjected to change and the part on all enforcement means shall be erased from the current formulation, consequently providing that the presumption of bankruptcy cause would exist upon 45 days of the debtors inability to settle its claim in the enforcement proceedings, regardless of the means of the enforcement.
Another amendment aiming to clarify a current provision of the Bankruptcy Law provides that Article 168 paragraph 6 now contain a formulation stating that the the commencement day of the reorganization plan shall be considered as the date of validity of the decision suspending the bankruptcy proceedings. Previous formulation did not specifically define whether the commencement date shall be considered the date of adoption of decision or its later validity, which caused different interpretations in practice.
A novelty regarding BoC allows that in case of obstruction and harmful actions performed by one of the members of the BoC, the judge may, upon the request of the majority of the BoC members, dismiss the obstructing member from her/his position. So far, the right of dismissal was reserved only for the BoC. If the current wording of the Bill on amendments is adopted the Article 46 would be unclear whether the BoC or creditors meeting decides on the appointment of a new BoC member.
Furthermore, it is provided that the party which proposed the reorganization plan is obliged to cover the costs of the plan within 60 (sixty) days of the day of validity of decision on adopting the reorganization plan, otherwise it is considered as if the plan has not been adopted and the proceedings shall be continued as bankruptcy proceedings. Bill on amendments does not further define whether a Decision on bankruptcy shall be adopted here, since Article 133 of the Bankruptcy Law governing the causes for this decision has not been amended to include this situation.
Creditors who have not registered their claim within the deadline and those not included in the Reorganization plan even if their claim arose before the Reorganization plan was adopted, are prohibited to commence enforcement proceedings to settle their claims. This is to enable the reorganization plan to succeed without obstruction, as well as to indirectly sanction all creditors who do not conform with the defined timeline for registering their claims.
Status of the fiduciary creditors
Although the fiduciary creditors are not recognized under the Bankruptcy Law, in practice they were considered as other secured creditors. The Bill on amendments explicitly defines the status of the fiduciary creditor equaling its position with that of the secured creditor. In addition, the Bill on amendments provides that the rights provided by the agreement on fiduciary transfer of ownership are invalid after the bankruptcy proceedings have been opened.
We understand from the reasoning of the Bill on amendments that the intention of this provision was to disable the enforcement of the fiduciary right outside of the bankruptcy process, but the drafting of this provision is not aligned with this intention and can be interpreted in a way which would be harmful for the fiduciary creditors as e.g., in case of suspension of the bankruptcy proceedings. We hope that this provision will be amended before the Bill on amendments is passed.
Deadline for secured creditors to report the claims
The Bill on amendments introduces the obligation of the secured creditors to report their claims under the same procedure as the bankruptcy creditors. According to the reasoning of the Bill on amendments failure of the secured creditors to report the claim under the set deadlines would trigger the dismissal of the claim.
The practice so far was on the standing that in case the secured creditor fails to act within the deadlines set in the Bankruptcy law it can only lose the part of the unsecured claim while his claim remains valid up to amount of the value of the security. In our view this interpretation is correct. For example, similar to the provision on statute of limitation of the claims under the Article 377 Law on Contract and Torts, when the statute of limitation expires, the creditor whose claim is secured by a pledge or mortgage may be settled only from the subject of the security.
Changing the current practice may lead to severe misuse of the debtors which may trigger the bankruptcy proceedings, hoping that the bankruptcy process will remain unnoticed for the secured creditors which are often the creditors with largest claims.
Transitional provisions provide that the RBE shall be established within 3 (three) months of entry into force, and the bylaws shall be adopted within 2 (two) months.
The bankruptcy proceedings which started in accordance with the previous Law on Bankruptcy but in which the decision on main division has not been adopted, shall be continued in accordance with the Bill on amendments.
- Famous Anthony's owners filing for bankruptcy in wake of hepatitis A outbreak - Food Safety News - January 11th, 2022
- Purdue Pharma can appeal rejection of bankruptcy plan - Reuters - January 11th, 2022
- This Beloved Seafood Chain Is Making a Comeback After Bankruptcy Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - January 11th, 2022
- Puerto Rico To Get Bankruptcy OK With Plan Modifications - Law360 - January 11th, 2022
- Bankruptcy Court Holds Arbitration Clause Unenforceable When Underlying Contract Is Rejected Pursuant to Section 365 of the Bankruptcy Code - Lexology - January 11th, 2022
- COMPLIANCE WITH OFFICIAL BANKRUPTCY FORM 105 SATISFIES ASHCROFT V. IQBAL - JD Supra - January 11th, 2022
- The Hong Kong approach where debtors lodge a petition for their own bankruptcy - how to prevent abuse of process - JD Supra - January 11th, 2022
- Corporate Bankruptcy Wave Turns to Dust, Defying Expectations - Bloomberg Law - January 7th, 2022
- Bowlski's will keep on rolling in El Jebel through bankruptcy - The Aspen Times - January 7th, 2022
- The Inside Story Of How Jessica Simpson Launched, Sold Then Re-Acquired Her Billion Dollar Retail Empire From Bankruptcy - Celebrity Net Worth - January 7th, 2022
- The Law Amending The Enforcement And Bankruptcy Law And Certain Laws Is Published - Insolvency/Bankruptcy/Re-structuring - Turkey - Mondaq News Alerts - January 7th, 2022
- $2000 an hour for a bankruptcy lawyer? 2022 could be the year - Reuters - January 3rd, 2022
- Jake Paul: 2022 goals include saving Mayweather Promotions from bankruptcy, heal back from carrying the sp - MMA Fighting - January 3rd, 2022
- Trustee in Tomaszewski bankruptcy seeks order to obtain tax refunds - The Batavian - January 3rd, 2022
- I Recently Received A Bankruptcy Discharge But Have Fallen Behind On My House Payments And Am Facing Foreclosure, Is There Anything I Can Do? -... - January 3rd, 2022
- Avoiding Technical Bankruptcy: a Whole-Organization Perspective on Technical Debt - InfoQ.com - December 25th, 2021
- Sean 'Diddy' Combs approved to buy fashion line out of bankruptcy - Reuters - December 25th, 2021
- Red River bankruptcy hearing delayed in Texas court - WANE - December 25th, 2021
- Hello Living staves off foreclosure on East Flatbush project, for now - The Real Deal - December 25th, 2021
- IndyBar: Thank You, US Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Indiana Pro Bono Volunteers! - Indiana Lawyer - December 25th, 2021
- These are the measures that transporters have agreed to avoid bankruptcy in the sector - Market Research Telecast - December 19th, 2021
- US judge annuls pharmaceutical company Purdue's bankruptcy agreement - La Prensa Latina - December 17th, 2021
- Litigation Funding In Bankruptcy And Distressed Situations - Above the LawAbove the Law - Above the Law - December 17th, 2021
- Bradleys Bankruptcy Basics: The Automatic Stay and the Why Behind the Warnings: What Happens Once a Debtor Files for Bankruptcy? - JD Supra - December 17th, 2021
- Healthcare Organizations and Bankruptcy: Is Telemedicine the Savior? - JD Supra - December 17th, 2021
- Pandemic drives Carlson family out of the business where they made a fortune - Minneapolis Star Tribune - December 17th, 2021
- Bankruptcy Matters: The New Pandemic Wave is Coming - JD Supra - December 17th, 2021
- Boy Scouts of America bankruptcy updates: What we know about settlements, payouts, more - USA TODAY - December 15th, 2021
- The Automatic Stay and Debtors Filing for Bankruptcy - The National Law Review - December 15th, 2021
- Directors Duties: a stark reality following the recent Marka Ruling and subsequent amendments to the UAE Bankruptcy Law - JD Supra - December 15th, 2021
- Matt Collard: Because of poor spending decisions town is heading toward bankruptcy - Conway Daily Sun - December 15th, 2021
- This Week At The Ninth: Telescopes And Tax Returns - Insolvency/Bankruptcy/Re-structuring - United States - Mondaq News Alerts - December 15th, 2021
- Fraud allegation in Intelsat bankruptcy | - Advanced Television - December 13th, 2021
- Protecting creditors' administrative claims in Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases - Reuters - December 13th, 2021
- Sri Lanka : Country is being pushed towards bankruptcy - Eran - Colombo Page - December 13th, 2021
- Elizabeth Warren Wants to Know How Hertz Went From Bankruptcy to Buybacks in Six Months - The New Republic - December 13th, 2021
- IBBI to make panel of professionals to speed up bankruptcy process - Livemint - December 3rd, 2021
- RBI moves NCLT Mumbai for bankruptcy proceedings against Reliance Capital - Business Standard - December 3rd, 2021
- Can Johnson & Johnson put the taint of scandal behind it? - The Economist - December 3rd, 2021
- Bankruptcy Filings | United States Courts - November 28th, 2021
- More colleges face bankruptcy even as top schools experience record wealth - CNBC - November 28th, 2021
- Boy Scouts will lobby on bill to curb tactics used in bankruptcy proceedings - Politico - November 28th, 2021
- Man who sought to conceal interest in 5m Dalkey property has bankruptcy extended - The Irish Times - November 28th, 2021
- Evergrande's bankruptcy still just a matter of time - Asia Times - November 28th, 2021
- TfL crisis latest: entire Tube line may have to close and bankruptcy notice issued - Evening Standard - November 28th, 2021
- Where Westlife are now from breakup and bankruptcy to successful comeback - Birmingham Live - November 28th, 2021
- Avianca to reoffer jobs to around 100 pilots amid restructuring - Reuters - November 28th, 2021
- Trainer hit with bankruptcy and forced to muck out completes remarkable comeback with Cheltenham and... - The Sun - November 28th, 2021
- Katie Price swerves final bankruptcy hearing AGAIN as court date is pushed back to February 2022... - The Sun - November 23rd, 2021
- Steel Magnate Ordered To Produce Docs In Bankruptcy Row - Law360 - November 23rd, 2021
- The new extension of the bankruptcy moratorium increases the risk of judicial collapse and zombie companies - Central Valley Business Journal - November 23rd, 2021
- Interjet Appoints A New CEO What Does It Mean For The Carrier? - Simple Flying - November 23rd, 2021
- Assured MSP for 23 crops will drive the country to bankruptcy: SC panel member Anil Ghanwat - Economic Times - November 23rd, 2021
- Initiation of the CIRP process under the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code - Lexology - November 23rd, 2021
- Opinion: In appreciation of Neil E. Harl making farm credit work for everybody - Ames Tribune - November 23rd, 2021
- Riverbed Technologies files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection following pandemic 'headwinds' - The Register - November 19th, 2021
- Czech Airlines Reorganization Will Not Turn Into Bankruptcy - Simple Flying - November 19th, 2021
- Is Nash Engineering the Latest Company Bankrupted by Asbestos Litigation? - JD Supra - November 19th, 2021
- Six-year fight to end with Williamsburg bankruptcy sale - The Real Deal - November 17th, 2021
- CWT Emerges From Bankruptcy With $100 Million to Invest in Business Travel Tech - Skift - November 17th, 2021
- NBA star Antoine Walker bounced back from bankruptcy in two years. Here's his advice for rebuilding finances - CNBC - November 17th, 2021
- The Boy Scouts Are Abusing the Bankruptcy System - Bloomberg Law - November 17th, 2021
- Another Bankruptcy Court Joins the Debate on the Validity of Bankruptcy Blocking Restrictions - JD Supra - November 17th, 2021
- Best Credit Cards After Bankruptcy | The Ascent - Motley Fool - November 17th, 2021
- Remington Arms returns from bankruptcy and moves to Georgia - We Are The Mighty - November 17th, 2021
- Hike in deaths by suicide in 2020 due to main causes of poverty, bankruptcy, and unemployment - thepolicytimes.com - November 17th, 2021
- Le Chateau's return from bankruptcy includes online sales, stores within stores - AM800 (iHeartRadio) - November 17th, 2021
- Jerry Funk: 28 years on the bankruptcy bench - Jacksonville Daily Record - November 5th, 2021
- Byton Close To Bankruptcy With Missed Payments, Production Halted - InsideEVs - November 5th, 2021
- Ingram and Debitetto on Bankruptcy and Compliance Programs | Health Care Compliance Association (HCCA) - JDSupra - JD Supra - November 5th, 2021
- Sixth Circuit Affirms Holding that Contributions to a 401(k) Plan Made More than Six Months Prior to Bankruptcy Cannot be Excluded from Disposable... - November 5th, 2021
- Bankruptcy Alert for New England States, NY, RI, and DE - The National Law Review - November 3rd, 2021
- The Purdue bankruptcy plan was approved. Where is the money? - STAT - November 3rd, 2021
- $500 million Los Angeles mega mansion The One now in bankruptcy - The Mercury News - November 3rd, 2021
- [COLUMN] Bankruptcy can be the first step to financial recovery - Asian Journal News - November 3rd, 2021
- Subtle Form of Implicit Bias?: Study Finds Black Americans Are More Likely to Have Their Bankruptcy Filing Dismissed or Steered Toward Filing Chapter... - November 1st, 2021
- Medical debt is the leading cause of bankruptcy, data shows: How to reduce your hospital bills - Fox Business - November 1st, 2021
- How to file for bankruptcy or liquidation in case of business failure in the UAE? - Khaleej Times - November 1st, 2021
- Couple behind Issue 7 in Columbus have history of bankruptcies - The Columbus Dispatch - November 1st, 2021
- Sued by Wisconsin and fresh off of bankruptcy, Frontier asks the state for $35 million in grants - HNGnews.com - November 1st, 2021