Deepa Aathreya, a Chennai-based entrepreneur, set up Alt School (formerly known as 'School of Success') to inculcate leadership qualities in children and introduced programmes for holistic development of parents, and teachers. She even holds a Guinness Record for conducting program on child safety. However, Aathreya had to face several ups and downs in order to succeed.
Born as an obese child, Aathreya often found herself being fat-shamed in her childhood. Her academic life started getting impacted but things gradually changed for good. When she was in ninth standard, a teacher motivated her to take charge of her life. Soon after, she participated as a candidate for the school election and won which added to her confidence.
After completing school, Aathreya completed her bachelor's degree in Arts and thereafter pursued an MBA (Master of Business Administration). She then joined an internship and while still in the internship period, she decided to tie the knot. Within nine months after her marriage, their son was born and she had to discontinue her internship.
Aathreya felt bad for passing on the entire financial burden to her husband, but fortunately, she soon received a call from her former employer asking her to plan the birthday party of her son. She took the opportunity and executed it, and this proved to be the turning point.
She started getting requests to conduct summer camps and the business started to flourish. But within a couple of months, life came to a standstill for the family after Aathreya was cheated by a business partner. They had lost her home, car and even had to get their son enrolled out of the school as they could not afford the fees.
She went bankrupt to the extent that survival had become a great challenge for her. "Now it does not affect me but at that point, it seemed like the whole world came to an end. We were angry and also feared how are we going to manage everything. Being an entrepreneur, we had the responsibilities of the people working with us, then there was our own child whom we had to take care of. There was a lot of mixed feelings," Aathreya said to The Logical Indian.
To make ends meet, she started selling balloons at the beach. She used to tell stories to children at the beach and then sold them balloons. Eventually, she became quite popular amongst the children who used to visit the beach just to listen to her stories. Media, too, noticed this and covered her innovative approach to teach life lessons to kids which eventually paved the way for her big start-up.
A school in Madurai, on reading about her, reached out to conduct storytelling sessions in the school. This was when the idea of School of Success (now known as 'Alt School') came to Aathreya.
"When I was called into the school in Madurai and I conducted the storytelling session. Firstly I felt like I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and secondly I realised that it can be a brilliant idea by itself as it does not require much investment and you are your investment initially. At that point in time investment was the biggest barrier, so I thought this could be the right way forward."
School of Success (now known as 'Alt School') is based on "classroom without walls" concept, which targets the multidimensional development of students. She also introduced the concept of "Leadership for kids" where they learn leadership skills by working on social causes. She firmly believes that changes begin with children and therefore started the "Be The Change" movement. Her venture now includes over 2,500 schools where she also conducts parenting and teacher training programmes.
In 2011, Aathreya and her husband met with an accident. After recovering, the entrepreneur said that the experience turned out to be life-changing for her.
"Until 2011, all I was seeking was a materialistic pleasure. Before the accident, if someone would ask me why am I in this business of working with children, I would say earning opportunities. But after my accident when I put my life mission and purpose of what I want to do further, I think that is when a phenomenal and exponential growth happened," she said.
After finding the purpose, her start-up had touched more than a lakh students all over the country. She does not even charge any fixed fees for her courses but accepts whatever amount the schools wish to pay according to their budget.
Emphasising the role of her family, Deepa said, "I always say this 'No place like home, no strength like family'. We had lost everything but our biggest asset is we struck on together with each other as a family even during our toughest times. The family has been a great support, my husband, my son, and my daughter."
Also read: Social Distancing To Beat COVID: These Tribal People Of Wayanad Show How It Is Done
See the original post here:
- IBBI to make panel of professionals to speed up bankruptcy process - Livemint - December 3rd, 2021
- RBI moves NCLT Mumbai for bankruptcy proceedings against Reliance Capital - Business Standard - December 3rd, 2021
- Can Johnson & Johnson put the taint of scandal behind it? - The Economist - December 3rd, 2021
- Bankruptcy Filings | United States Courts - November 28th, 2021
- More colleges face bankruptcy even as top schools experience record wealth - CNBC - November 28th, 2021
- Boy Scouts will lobby on bill to curb tactics used in bankruptcy proceedings - Politico - November 28th, 2021
- Man who sought to conceal interest in 5m Dalkey property has bankruptcy extended - The Irish Times - November 28th, 2021
- Evergrande's bankruptcy still just a matter of time - Asia Times - November 28th, 2021
- TfL crisis latest: entire Tube line may have to close and bankruptcy notice issued - Evening Standard - November 28th, 2021
- Where Westlife are now from breakup and bankruptcy to successful comeback - Birmingham Live - November 28th, 2021
- Avianca to reoffer jobs to around 100 pilots amid restructuring - Reuters - November 28th, 2021
- Trainer hit with bankruptcy and forced to muck out completes remarkable comeback with Cheltenham and... - The Sun - November 28th, 2021
- Katie Price swerves final bankruptcy hearing AGAIN as court date is pushed back to February 2022... - The Sun - November 23rd, 2021
- Steel Magnate Ordered To Produce Docs In Bankruptcy Row - Law360 - November 23rd, 2021
- The new extension of the bankruptcy moratorium increases the risk of judicial collapse and zombie companies - Central Valley Business Journal - November 23rd, 2021
- Interjet Appoints A New CEO What Does It Mean For The Carrier? - Simple Flying - November 23rd, 2021
- Assured MSP for 23 crops will drive the country to bankruptcy: SC panel member Anil Ghanwat - Economic Times - November 23rd, 2021
- Initiation of the CIRP process under the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code - Lexology - November 23rd, 2021
- Opinion: In appreciation of Neil E. Harl making farm credit work for everybody - Ames Tribune - November 23rd, 2021
- Riverbed Technologies files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection following pandemic 'headwinds' - The Register - November 19th, 2021
- Czech Airlines Reorganization Will Not Turn Into Bankruptcy - Simple Flying - November 19th, 2021
- Is Nash Engineering the Latest Company Bankrupted by Asbestos Litigation? - JD Supra - November 19th, 2021
- MONTENEGRO - The Bill on amendments of the Bankruptcy Law - Lexology - November 19th, 2021
- Six-year fight to end with Williamsburg bankruptcy sale - The Real Deal - November 17th, 2021
- CWT Emerges From Bankruptcy With $100 Million to Invest in Business Travel Tech - Skift - November 17th, 2021
- NBA star Antoine Walker bounced back from bankruptcy in two years. Here's his advice for rebuilding finances - CNBC - November 17th, 2021
- The Boy Scouts Are Abusing the Bankruptcy System - Bloomberg Law - November 17th, 2021
- Another Bankruptcy Court Joins the Debate on the Validity of Bankruptcy Blocking Restrictions - JD Supra - November 17th, 2021
- Best Credit Cards After Bankruptcy | The Ascent - Motley Fool - November 17th, 2021
- Remington Arms returns from bankruptcy and moves to Georgia - We Are The Mighty - November 17th, 2021
- Hike in deaths by suicide in 2020 due to main causes of poverty, bankruptcy, and unemployment - thepolicytimes.com - November 17th, 2021
- Le Chateau's return from bankruptcy includes online sales, stores within stores - AM800 (iHeartRadio) - November 17th, 2021
- Jerry Funk: 28 years on the bankruptcy bench - Jacksonville Daily Record - November 5th, 2021
- Byton Close To Bankruptcy With Missed Payments, Production Halted - InsideEVs - November 5th, 2021
- Ingram and Debitetto on Bankruptcy and Compliance Programs | Health Care Compliance Association (HCCA) - JDSupra - JD Supra - November 5th, 2021
- Sixth Circuit Affirms Holding that Contributions to a 401(k) Plan Made More than Six Months Prior to Bankruptcy Cannot be Excluded from Disposable... - November 5th, 2021
- Bankruptcy Alert for New England States, NY, RI, and DE - The National Law Review - November 3rd, 2021
- The Purdue bankruptcy plan was approved. Where is the money? - STAT - November 3rd, 2021
- $500 million Los Angeles mega mansion The One now in bankruptcy - The Mercury News - November 3rd, 2021
- [COLUMN] Bankruptcy can be the first step to financial recovery - Asian Journal News - November 3rd, 2021
- Subtle Form of Implicit Bias?: Study Finds Black Americans Are More Likely to Have Their Bankruptcy Filing Dismissed or Steered Toward Filing Chapter... - November 1st, 2021
- Medical debt is the leading cause of bankruptcy, data shows: How to reduce your hospital bills - Fox Business - November 1st, 2021
- How to file for bankruptcy or liquidation in case of business failure in the UAE? - Khaleej Times - November 1st, 2021
- Couple behind Issue 7 in Columbus have history of bankruptcies - The Columbus Dispatch - November 1st, 2021
- Sued by Wisconsin and fresh off of bankruptcy, Frontier asks the state for $35 million in grants - HNGnews.com - November 1st, 2021
- Evander Kane assault accuser asks bankruptcy court to allow her case to proceed - The Athletic - November 1st, 2021
- Bankruptcy | Mass.gov - October 21st, 2021
- Declaring Bankruptcy | Internal Revenue Service - October 21st, 2021
- J&J is using a bankruptcy maneuver to block lawsuits over baby powder cancer claims - KRWG - October 21st, 2021
- City readies for conversations with alternative trash haulers on heels of Red River bankruptcy filing - Fort Wayne's NBC - October 21st, 2021
- Washington Prime Group back from bankruptcy; CEO out - The Real Deal - October 21st, 2021
- Bankruptcy bonuses for top executives are in trouble, if this congresswoman gets her way - Reuters - October 21st, 2021
- Fear a key customer will file for bankruptcy? Webinar will tell you how to act before it happens - ROI-NJ.com - October 21st, 2021
- Bankruptcy lawyers expect filings to increase in 2022 - WFYI - October 21st, 2021
- Bankruptcy Updates for Week of October 17th - The National Law Review - October 21st, 2021
- Johnson & Johnson looking to bankruptcy to resolve 40,000 baby powder cancer suits - ABC News - October 21st, 2021
- Fort Wayne officials looking into Red River bankruptcy - WANE - October 21st, 2021
- Olympus Pools owner claims his company owns stake in former business partners company - WFLA - October 21st, 2021
- Avoiding water bankruptcy in the Southwest: What the US and Iran can learn from each other - Nevada Current - October 21st, 2021
- Stoney's In Solomons And Broomes Island Head To Bankruptcy Court; Could See Auction - Bay Net - October 21st, 2021
- Hertz Files to List Shares on Nasdaq in Wake of Bankruptcy Exit - Yahoo Finance - October 21st, 2021
- Sexual abuse survivors are voting on the Boy Scouts bankruptcy settlement: 5 questions answered - The Conversation US - October 17th, 2021
- Timeshare Termination Team files for Chapter 7 bankruptcy; former clients out thousands - The Denver Channel - October 15th, 2021
- Bill introduced in Congress to end executive bonuses in bankruptcy - Reuters - October 15th, 2021
- Diocese of Winona-Rochester Bankruptcy Plan Approved - KROC-AM - October 15th, 2021
- Developer of The Outpost in Poway files for bankruptcy - The San Diego Union-Tribune - October 15th, 2021
- Local BSA council won't have to sell properties in bankruptcy case - timesobserver.com - October 15th, 2021
- Sexual abuse survivors are voting on the Boy Scouts bankruptcy settlement: 5 questions answered - The Edwardsville Intelligencer - October 11th, 2021
- Bankrupt companies gave $165 million in bonuses to top execs before going belly up last year - CBS News - October 11th, 2021
- County may seek help from bankruptcy attorney to assist with D.A.B and EMS Nature Coast - Citrus County Chronicle - October 11th, 2021
- The Moral Bankruptcy of Facebook - The New Yorker - October 11th, 2021
- The day Bethlehem Steel went bankrupt: I never thought it would really happen - lehighvalleylive.com - October 11th, 2021
- Five Things That Must Change With Bankruptcy Law In Aotearoa - Scoop.co.nz - October 11th, 2021
- Shuttered mall heading to bankruptcy auction - Business Observer - October 11th, 2021
- Bankruptcy: Enhanced Authority Could Strengthen Oversight of Executive Bonuses Awarded Before a Bankruptcy Filing - Government Accountability Office - October 3rd, 2021
- Avoiding water bankruptcy in the drought-troubled Southwest: What the US and Iran can learn from each other - bne IntelliNews - October 3rd, 2021
- Nature Coast EMS to face possible bankruptcy following handover of services to county - Citrus County Chronicle - October 3rd, 2021
- NY District Court Rules That Chapter 15 Recognition Not Required To Enforce Foreign Bankruptcy Injunction - Insolvency/Bankruptcy/Re-structuring -... - September 24th, 2021
- Partner Edelman to Lead Armstrong Teasdale's Restructuring, Insolvency and Bankruptcy Practice - News - ABL Advisor - September 24th, 2021
- Zhou shows the bankruptcy of the motor racing ladder and the Alpine academy - GPblog - September 24th, 2021