A milestone in the agency's transformation saga, which could see its new owners opt to acquire other technology players, and target mid-size customers, as part of its post-pandemic rehabilitation.
Corporate travel agency CWT exited bankruptcy on Friday, at the same time pledging to heavily invest in technology a highly strategic move from its CEO and new paymasters as its rivals start to consolidate.
The court in Dallas, Texas, swiftly approved CWTs recapitalization plan, just one day after it filed for Chapter 11 protection in fact.
Hear from Michelle McKinney Frymire, the CWT of CEO, at Skift Aviation Forum on November 17
The net result is that the agency has now eliminated about half its $1.6 billion debt, while it gains $350 million of new equity capital to support strategic initiatives. There are also new owners, in the form of investors who now control the firm after the departure of the Carlson family.
The company also pledged to invest $100 million in its myCWT travel management platform.
This will include expanding CWTs breadth and depth of omni-channel content, travel comparison capabilities, analytical reporting, and choice and availability of sustainable travel solutions to further enhance the point-of-sale experience for travelers and carbon footprint details to enable better-informed decision-making, the company said in a statement.
Earmarking $100 million this way wasnt a court stipulation, a CWT spokesperson told Skift ,as it had planned to invest in this area all along. The strengthened balance sheet allows us now to proceed, they said.
CWTs exit from bankruptcy comes just days after its main competitor completed the takeover of Expedias tech-focused corporate travel division.
This announcement may be triggered by American Express Global Business Travels acquisition of Egencia and the increasing aggression of TripActions after its latest funding round, said Gaurav Sundaram, president of ProKonsul Consulting. Investment in technology is the only way agencies can increase revenues in the current environment.
There may also be public relations at play but for some the spin lacks details.
Theyre hoping the $100 million investment is a good story to tell, but many people will be looking for a lot more information, said one consultant, who preferred to withhold their name. Are they catching up because theyve fallen behind? Is it a big enough play to modernize their platform to the point where they can talk about it no longer being a legacy player?
CWTs investors have a lot of ground to catch up with travel investor Certarestoo, they added, which has bolstered Amex GBTs position as well as other related companies during the pandemic.
Meanwhile, Amex GBT has been targeting smaller companies with new products, such as its Neo1 platform. In fact, small and medium-sized businesses are being tipped as key drivers of the post-pandemic recovery. Will CWT now evolve its myCWT platform to cater to the mid-market business? If it does, will it choose to invest, acquire or even partner with another company to diversify?
You can imagine a TripActions, TravelPerk or Spotnana being quite attractive to the new CWT, to quickly power that growth in the mid-market, the consultant added.
One technology expert said that all corporate travel agencies were now facing challenges to turn themselves from travel companies into technology companies. This is a complex transition, more than just a financial investment, and it requires deep cultural and philosophical changes, said Dan Raine, CEO of Unlocked Data.
This choice is fundamental to the success of the business, particularly under heavy pressure from clients and investors. It is difficult to change strategy and turn your back on the thousands of developer days invested in building existing software, but as technology advances relentlessly, it can be faster and more efficient in the long-run to bite the bullet and change course and start again with a different approach and architecture.
Hear from Michelle McKinney Frymire, the CWT of CEO, at Skift Aviation Forum on November 17
Read the original here:
- Violations Of The Bankruptcy Discharge Injunction - Insolvency/Bankruptcy - United States - Mondaq - May 9th, 2022
- Total April Bankruptcy Filings Decrease 21 Percent Over the Same Period Last Year - GlobeNewswire - May 9th, 2022
- What's happening in Sri Lanka? Country facing worst economic crisis and on the brink of bankruptcy - Sky News - May 9th, 2022
- A&G Bankruptcy Sale Offers Over 50 Properties in and around Manhattan, Kansas - PR Newswire - May 9th, 2022
- Al Zawawi and 109(a): Parsing What It Means to Be a Debtor Under Chapter 15 - JD Supra - May 9th, 2022
- Sri Lanka Is on the Brink of Bankruptcy - The Diplomat - May 9th, 2022
- A Day Late and Nearly $5 Million Short?: Legislation Introduced to Make Permanent the $7.5 Million Subchapter V Debt Limit As Temporary Extensions... - March 29th, 2022
- [COLUMN] Bankruptcy: When you've done everything you can but it's still not good enough - Asian Journal News - March 29th, 2022
- New Slovak legislation on solving threatened bankruptcy - Lexology - March 29th, 2022
- Two Recent Chapter 15 Cases Clarify Just How Low the Bar Is for Recognition - JD Supra - March 29th, 2022
- The Parent Company of These Steakhouses Just Filed For Bankruptcy Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - March 26th, 2022
- Medical debt isn't all that indicative of bankruptcy - Washington Examiner - March 26th, 2022
- 'Broken heart': Read the CEO's letter to Black News Channel employees announcing closure - Tallahassee Democrat - March 26th, 2022
- Meet Nicole Barham: From Bankruptcy Court To Entrepreneur Helping Other Women Design Their Wealth - Black Enterprise - March 26th, 2022
- Seadrill Expects to Emerge from Bankruptcy This Week - The Maritime Executive - February 24th, 2022
- Solomon: Is it too late to save more restaurants from bankruptcy? - Boston Herald - February 24th, 2022
- Is It Too Late to Save More Restaurants From Bankruptcy? InsideSources - InsideSources - February 21st, 2022
- Bankruptcy resolution shifting to fast track - Mint - February 21st, 2022
- Philippine Airlines soars from brink of bankruptcy to profitability: how it happened - Gulf News - February 21st, 2022
- Pensions: what's new this week February 2022 # 3 | Allen & Overy LLP - JDSupra - JD Supra - February 21st, 2022
- Senior Living Drives Health Care Industry Distress in Final Quarter of 2021 - GlobeNewswire - February 21st, 2022
- Months of debts, promises and guilt trips: Woman declares bankruptcy after $240k 'pig-butchering' scam - AsiaOne - February 21st, 2022
- Five years of Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code: A promising journey - BusinessLine - February 21st, 2022
- Chapter 11 Bankruptcy: What You Need To Know - Forbes - February 19th, 2022
- These Restaurants Are Nearing Bankruptcy, Recent Data Shows Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - February 19th, 2022
- Podcast: The awful sound of Shelley Luthers moral bankruptcy - San Antonio Express-News - February 19th, 2022
- What You Need to Know About Filing for Bankruptcy with a Reverse Mortgage - Lawyers.com Blog - February 19th, 2022
- Florida Orange Forecast Drops and Chapter 12 Farm Bankruptcy Filings Down - AG INFORMATION NETWORK OF THE WEST - AGInfo Ag Information Network Of The... - February 19th, 2022
- Evander Kane bankruptcy trustee wants to sue firm that arranged his loans - The Athletic - February 19th, 2022
- 2021 was one of the worst years in decades for BigLaw bankruptcy practices - ABA Journal - February 15th, 2022
- Lawyers in 2 states sanctioned over association with national bankruptcy law firm - ABA Journal - February 15th, 2022
- Bankruptcy Discharge: What Is It? Forbes Advisor - Forbes - February 15th, 2022
- A Wave of Bankruptcies and Foreclosures Appears to be Building - Kiplinger's Personal Finance - February 15th, 2022
- Latham & Watkins Advises Huachen Energy on Innovative Bond Restructuring and the First-Ever US Chapter 15 Recognition of a PRC Bankruptcy... - February 15th, 2022
- How PMPML drove on the long route to bankruptcy - Hindustan Times - February 15th, 2022
- The Moral Bankruptcy of a Violent StateProtesting Prison Expansion & Documenting Police Beatings at the Arkansas State Capitol (INCLUDING VIDEO).... - February 15th, 2022
- Cross-Border Bankruptcy Cases: Chapter 15 of the Bankruptcy Code and Parameters of a Discovery Tool - JD Supra - February 15th, 2022
- Bankruptcy Court Protects Creditors And Banks Holding Garnished Funds - Lexology - February 15th, 2022
- They ask to decree the bankruptcy of Correo Argentino: the decision will fall on the Economic Criminal Chamber - Then24.com - February 15th, 2022
- Richard Osman's House of Games: David James' life from bankruptcy to unusual second career - Birmingham Live - February 15th, 2022
- Lawyers to discuss whether letters to archbishop will be included in bankruptcy trial - Guam Pacific Daily News - February 11th, 2022
- Guatemala - changes in the regulations regarding insolvencies and bankruptcy: approval of the law on insolvencies, by virtue of which the existing... - February 11th, 2022
- Driving While Unimpaired Delaware Judge Issues Important Ruling in Hertz Chapter 11 Case on Allowance of Make-Whole Premiums, Treatment of Unimpaired... - February 11th, 2022
- End the free passes at bankruptcy court - bedfordgazette.com - February 9th, 2022
- Moving Up: Bankruptcy Code Dollar Amounts Will Increase On April 1, 2022 - Insolvency/Bankruptcy/Re-structuring - United States - Mondaq News Alerts - February 9th, 2022
- Bifurcated Fee Agreements Approved in Southern District of Florida, But Barred in Western District of Kentucky - JD Supra - February 9th, 2022
- Bankruptcy court temporarily stays auction of Gujarat-based Sterling Biotech - Economic Times - February 9th, 2022
- Puerto Rico may be nearing the end of bankruptcy. What does this mean? - ABC News - February 7th, 2022
- One-year bankruptcy is back on the table - Insolvency/Bankruptcy/Re-structuring - Australia - Mondaq News Alerts - February 7th, 2022
- Novosibirsk court began bankruptcy proceedings for an operator for the treatment of MSW - Then24 - February 7th, 2022
- Andrew Garfield Once Explained Why Bankruptcy Was the 'Best Thing' to Happen to His Family - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - February 7th, 2022
- Bankruptcy confusion leads to loss of home - New Zealand Herald - February 7th, 2022
- U.S. Court Of Appeals and Bankruptcy Appellate Panel ... - February 5th, 2022
- Brian Serpone takes the Fifth at Levee Breaks bankruptcy hearing - Cape Cod Times - February 5th, 2022
- Amid bankruptcy, breakfast remains off the table at Wilmington K&W - Greater Wilmington Business Journal - February 5th, 2022
- Recent Construction Bankruptcies Highlight Importance of Securing Right to Payment - Levelset - February 5th, 2022
- Small business and bankruptcy: What should you do when your company has too much debt? - USA TODAY - February 5th, 2022
- Invercargill man's bankruptcy confusion leads to loss of home - New Zealand Herald - February 5th, 2022
- Bankruptcy may be an option for those with high-interest student loans - The Denver Channel - February 1st, 2022
- Costly gas drives Ukraine poultry production to bankruptcy - Poultry World - February 1st, 2022
- Montana Vies to Ax Suit Over Businessman's Involuntary Bankruptcy (1) - Bloomberg Law - February 1st, 2022
- Amitabh Bachchan shares Abhisheks video talking about their bankruptcy, how they bounced back: Thats the way we do it - The Indian Express - February 1st, 2022
- Sigfox, the French IoT startup that had raised more than $300M, files for bankruptcy protection as it seeks a buyer - TechCrunch - February 1st, 2022
- The story of Toys R Us' bankruptcy is still unfolding, and it still matters - Retail Dive - January 24th, 2022
- Young Buck Accused Of Hiding Over $100000 In Bankruptcy - AllHipHop - January 24th, 2022
- From Near Bankruptcy To 8 Figures: An Entrepreneurs Story Of Stocks, Online Business And Never Giving Up - Entrepreneur - January 24th, 2022
- Judge Approves Deal to Resolve Puerto Rico Bankruptcy - The New York Times - January 19th, 2022
- When to apply for a credit card after bankruptcy - Bankrate.com - January 19th, 2022
- ANALYSIS: Three Skills Bankruptcy Associates Need to Stand Out - Bloomberg Law - January 19th, 2022
- Judge rejects legal shield in bankruptcy of former Ann Taylor parent - Reuters - January 19th, 2022
- Italy's Moby Files US Bankruptcy in Ongoing Reorganization Battle - The Maritime Executive - January 19th, 2022
- Delaware Bankruptcy Court Rules That Unsecured Creditors Of A Solvent Debtor Are Entitled To Post-Petition Interest At The Federal Judgment Rate, Not... - January 19th, 2022
- Famous Anthony's owners filing for bankruptcy in wake of hepatitis A outbreak - Food Safety News - January 11th, 2022
- Purdue Pharma can appeal rejection of bankruptcy plan - Reuters - January 11th, 2022
- This Beloved Seafood Chain Is Making a Comeback After Bankruptcy Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - January 11th, 2022
- Puerto Rico To Get Bankruptcy OK With Plan Modifications - Law360 - January 11th, 2022
- Bankruptcy Court Holds Arbitration Clause Unenforceable When Underlying Contract Is Rejected Pursuant to Section 365 of the Bankruptcy Code - Lexology - January 11th, 2022
- COMPLIANCE WITH OFFICIAL BANKRUPTCY FORM 105 SATISFIES ASHCROFT V. IQBAL - JD Supra - January 11th, 2022
- The Hong Kong approach where debtors lodge a petition for their own bankruptcy - how to prevent abuse of process - JD Supra - January 11th, 2022
- Corporate Bankruptcy Wave Turns to Dust, Defying Expectations - Bloomberg Law - January 7th, 2022