A significant discovery by many execs during the pandemic was that private jets arent necessarily for business only. The good people at Magellan Jets jets saw their business rise 58 percent over 2019, itself a record year for them, as families desperate for lockdown relief took to the skies for havens that take socially distancing to a whole other level, in a good way, like the Exumas in the Bahamas, a series of remote islands a couple of hundred miles from the nearest subway stop.
Catch a flight out of Boston?? and Fort Lauderdale to winter destinations like Aruba, Barbados, Cayman Islands, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Leeward Islands, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks and Caicos, U.S. Virgin Islands, Windward Islands, Bermuda and, all year round, the Bahamas where your pleasure ship awaits the Loon.
From stem to stern shes 180-feet with walls of lacquered cherrywood, tasteful muted tones, pile carpet and elegant marble floors. She accommodates up to 12 guests in six spacious cabins with the main deck full beam master including a jacuzzi and separate shower.
On the lower deck are four large ensuite cabins for two. The sixth and final cabin is an extra single located just aft of the master. And if its just the two of you, the pair of aft cabins can be joined to create a single luxurious VIP suite with a queen and king bed.
The sun deck includes shaded lounge seating, jacuzzi, barbeque and a four-person sunbed. And when youre through lounging around, take to the water with a seemingly endless selection of gear including matching Yamaha Waverunner jet skis, Seabobs, Lift e-foils and stand up paddle boards.
Other options include a flyboard, water slide, water skis, junior water skis, wakeboard, inflatable kayaks, snorkeling and 12 sets of scuba equipment, spearfishing gear, kitesurfing gear, fishing equipment as well as tons of water toys for the kiddies.
And if you prefer to keep dry, there are free weights, yoga, bands and balls for an onboard workout. But if youd rather burn no calories at all, there are board games, jigsaw puzzles and a menu listing hundreds of movies to choose from in your own private screening room.
And if youre not quite versed in the ways of the sea, your talented crew of 14 includes a professional surfer, pro kite boarders and divemaster who will escort you to a vibrant tropic underwater world populated by barracuda, reef sharks, sergeant majors and the invasive lionfish.
The Exumas are a shallow playground where cruise ships cannot venture, making it ideal for private yachts. So hop aboard the 43' Everglades towed tender, or the 21' Novurania, for some of the richest underwater exploring in the Atlantic.
And if youre not certified, you can still hit Staniel Cay to snorkel the plane wreck of one of Pablo Escobars drug runners. It was discovered in the 1980s, a day after it crashed ten miles from its destination the airstrip at Normans Cay. Inside it was packed with marijuana and two dead pilots.
From the surface shes less than impressive, just some steel skeletal bones piercing the water at the breakpoint in the fuselage. Once you dive in, youll find much of the structure intact, allowing you to swim the length of the plane from within, or explore the wingspan of the World War II craft resting on the sandy bottom.
Sure it gets busy, but the Thunderball Grotto is a must. Its where Sean Connery carried out that full-scale underwater assault against the forces of SPECTRE in the 1965 Bond classic that gives the grotto its nickname.
Swim between the rocks into an open cave-like area, where the garden below is teeming with life and the ceiling above is a bit too tight.
Through a groove pass into the pool of the grotto, domed like a cathedral, with two perfectly placed skylights illuminating breathtaking natural beauty, colorful parrot fish, coral and angelfish. And if youre feeling your oats, you can swim out to the beach, hike to the top of the rock, and hurl yourself through 40 feet of shadow into the turquoise pool below.
Stop for a pig, now. How the sows and boars got to Big Major Cay, otherwise known as Pig Island, is a bit of a mystery. Were they set loose by a group of sailors to provide protein for return visits? Are they the survivors of a shipwreck? Are they migrants from a local island? Or were they stocked in the 1990s by residents of nearby Staniel Cay?
The sound of the boat summons them not just to the beach, but into the surf where they blithely paddle their way out in search of a celery stalk or carrot. While they're large and can appear intimidating, the pigs are good company and won't force the issue if you're empty handed.
In fact, theyre a bit less pushy than the iguanas over on Bitter Guana Cay (Iguana Island). Like the pigs, they hear the skiff and come flopping their way down the beach for a snack. Grapes on a wooden skewer are their preferred comestible, but they can be a little eager, and might draw blood in the process.
Of course youd be mad to try to do it all in one day, but you dont have to. For a mere $300,000, you have the Loon for a week. So take breaks back on board for specialty cocktails prepared to your liking, and meals to match your tastes.
A preference form is offered ahead of time, affording the chef and his team all the info they need to prepare bespoke meals made to your specifications.
The Exumas are an ideal playground, but its the getting there that makes this trip special. From the easy in and out at Jet Nassau in the Bahamas, with the good people at Magellan graciously handling visas and COVID paperwork, to the Loon itself, providing the comfort and luxury of a five-star hotel with the ocean under your feet, theres no better way to reward yourself for the hardships of the past year.
Continue reading here:
- The Alternative Adult: Bahamas Massachusetts Daily Collegian - The Massachusetts Daily Collegian - October 9th, 2021
- ACCESS APPROVED: Bahamas vaccinations to be reconized by UK as of October 11 - EyeWitness News - October 9th, 2021
- MSC Seashore to make debut in Bahamas next month - Breaking Travel News - October 9th, 2021
- PAHO: Population becoming more relaxed as vaccination increases, some infected not testing - EyeWitness News - October 9th, 2021
- The Sand Dollar: Digital Currency Of The Bahamas - Global Finance - October 9th, 2021
- The legacy of Ivan and The Punch - Bahamas Tribune - October 9th, 2021
- FTX CEO Sam Bankman-Fried on decision to move company to Bahamas - The Global Herald - The Global Herald - October 9th, 2021
- BFSB announces new executive committee and Board of Directors - EyeWitness News - October 9th, 2021
- Irie the Cat Woman tells of her passion for caring - Bahamas Tribune - October 9th, 2021
- Another 57000 doses of vaccine by early November - Bahamas Tribune - October 9th, 2021
- OPPOSITION: Speech from the Throne ignores seriousness of fiscal situation - EyeWitness News - October 9th, 2021
- DIANE PHILLIPS: The Punch and the power of one - Bahamas Tribune - October 9th, 2021
- Religion in The Bahamas - Wikipedia - October 7th, 2021
- The Bahamas: A Close but Unfamiliar US Partner - War on the Rocks - October 7th, 2021
- What's New In The Bahamas In October - PRNewswire - October 7th, 2021
- Corcoran expands into the Bahamas with latest affiliate - Inman - October 7th, 2021
- MSC Seashore to Be Named at Ocean Cay in The Bahamas on Nov. 18 - Cruise Industry News - October 7th, 2021
- Tracking the tropics: Sam falls apart as system emerges near the Bahamas - FOX 35 Orlando - October 7th, 2021
- Forecasters tracking area of development near the Bahamas - WESH 2 Orlando - October 7th, 2021
- Bahamas and Cuba intercept hundreds of Haitians at sea who were headed for U.S. - Reuters - October 7th, 2021
- READ: The full Speech from the Throne Eye Witness News - EyeWitness News - October 7th, 2021
- Hurricane Matthew 5 year anniversary: Looking back at the storm & our impacts - WSAV-TV - October 7th, 2021
- SWORN IN: Over 1700 attendees at historical Speech from the Throne - EyeWitness News - October 7th, 2021
- Bahamas steam locomotive to pass through Peterborough this Sunday on its way from London to York - RailAdvent - Railway News - October 7th, 2021
- SPEECH FROM THE THRONE: Governor-General Sir Cornelius A Smith outlines the Government's Blue Print for Change - EyeWitness News - October 7th, 2021
- COVID-19 related deaths jump by 24, another 66 under investigation - EyeWitness News - October 7th, 2021
- An exquisite study of the man who documented North America's wildlife in the 18th century - Art Newspaper - October 7th, 2021
- PM says his administration committed to facilitating Fintech revolution - EyeWitness News - October 7th, 2021
- PM: Pay for COVID test policy likely to fall away with fulfilment of free testing pledge - EyeWitness News - October 7th, 2021
- UNDER REVIEW: Gibson not formally resigned, but indicated he will not return to WSC - EyeWitness News - October 7th, 2021
- How Many Islands Are In The Bahamas? - World Atlas - September 24th, 2021
- FTX Establishes Substantial Presence in the Bahamas and Appoints Ryan Salame as CEO - Yahoo Finance - September 24th, 2021
- 60 Minutes cameras capture world-record dive in the Bahamas - CBS News - September 24th, 2021
- Moody's downgrades The Bahamas' sovereign creditworthiness | Business - Jamaica Gleaner - September 24th, 2021
- HIGHER UP THE VAX LADDER: Bahamas could reach 30% vaccination rate in two weeks, says Fields - EyeWitness News - September 24th, 2021
- RECONSIDER: Int'l group suggests keeping travel health visa as Bahamas top spot for unvaxxed Americans - EyeWitness News - September 24th, 2021
- FTX expands to the Bahamas and Gibraltar - CoinJournal - September 24th, 2021
- COMMENDABLE: COG lauds Bahamas for defining features of a healthy democracy in snap election - EyeWitness News - September 24th, 2021
- Venezuela congratulates The Bahamas on successful election day - Searchlight Newspaper - September 24th, 2021
- CEO Spotlight: Why Exuma Will See a Surge in Tourism and Real Estate in the Coming Years - CEOWORLD magazine - September 24th, 2021
- PROOF IN THE PUDDING: Former Cabinet minister claims Minnis admin's economic plan was working - EyeWitness News - September 24th, 2021
- BACK IN BUSINESS: Christie-era financial secretary to be returned to former post - EyeWitness News - September 24th, 2021
- A PUSH FOR BETTER FOR ALL: Bowleg looking to revolutionize the Ministry of Youth, Sports and Culture - EyeWitness News - September 24th, 2021
- Bahamas Elections reflect will of the people: Preliminary Statement, CARICOM Election Observation Mission - marketscreener.com - September 24th, 2021
- NOW REFINE IT: OAS commends election but notes limited progress on past recommendations - EyeWitness News - September 24th, 2021
- Bahamas Ramps Up Already Robust Entry Requirements Due To ... - September 10th, 2021
- Versants Bahamas Family Island COVID-19 Rollout a ... - September 10th, 2021
- Houston Rockets arrive in Bahamas for pre-training camp work - Rockets Wire - September 10th, 2021
- United Airlines adding Cleveland Hopkins to Nassau, Bahamas service in December - cleveland.com - September 10th, 2021
- Back to The Bahamas in Honor of CHICOS 10th Anniversary - PRNewswire - September 10th, 2021
- Watch This MD-80 "Mad Dog" Cargo Jet Make A Crazy Zoom Climb Out Of The Bahamas - The Drive - September 10th, 2021
- Two years after Dorian, slow recovery progress in the Abacos - Travel Weekly - September 10th, 2021
- Ice Cube Talks Growing The BIG3, Playing In The Bahamas, & Popularizing 3-On-3 Basketball - HotNewHipHop - September 10th, 2021
- Oasis of the Seas resumes services, likely to make stop in Bahamas, St Maarten - WIC News - September 10th, 2021
- Disney family member joins environmentalists in calling for Disney to do better in The Bahamas - EyeWitness News - September 10th, 2021
- Have rethink on travel rules, please - Bahamas Tribune - September 10th, 2021
- Via Hot New Hip Hop: Ice Cube Talks Growing The BIG3, Playing In The Bahamas, & Popularizing 3-On-3 Basketball BIG3 - BIG3 Basketball - September 10th, 2021
- Sustainability initiative to boost Bahamian tourism - Bahamas Tribune - September 10th, 2021
- WEATHER WATCH: Dangerous swells expected as Hurricane Larry continues to barrel across the Atlantic - EyeWitness News - September 10th, 2021
- Travel to the Caribbean during COVID-19: What you need to know before you go - The Philadelphia Tribune - September 10th, 2021
- THAT'S ONLY ONE VOTE: FNM founding father disagrees with Ingraham's endorsement of Sands for PM - EyeWitness News - September 10th, 2021
- Coach Stephen Jackson's Trilogy Takes Home Championship Title After The "Brawl in the Bahamas," Winning 50-45 - PRNewswire - September 10th, 2021
- THEY ARE THE CRISIS: Davis accuses FNM of employing voter suppression tricks - EyeWitness News - September 10th, 2021
- MSC Cruise Ship Approved by CDC to Restart Operations From Florida - Cruise Hive - September 10th, 2021
- What lies ahead for sports after the general election? - Bahamas Tribune - September 10th, 2021
- Bahamas steam locomotive to pass through Hereford this Wednesday - RailAdvent - Railway News - September 10th, 2021
- Nearly 1/3 of all Lyford Cay Foundations 2021 scholarships go to technical training - EyeWitness News - September 10th, 2021
- Sands: Country is on its knees - Bahamas Tribune - September 10th, 2021
- SETTING THE STANDARD: New project to strengthen tourism-based business certification systems - EyeWitness News - September 10th, 2021
- 3000 expected to vote in Grand Bahama today - Bahamas Tribune - September 10th, 2021
- Bahamas: Cruise passengers 12 and over must be vaccinated for ... - August 24th, 2021
- Bahamas implements vaccine requirement for cruise ships to ... - August 24th, 2021
- The Bahamas Welcomes New Crystal Cruises Voyages Starting This Fall - PRNewswire - August 24th, 2021
- Adrian Fox Bahamas Stepped up to Help people of the Bahamas during Covid-19 - News Anyway - August 24th, 2021
- The Best Resort in Great Exuma, The Bahamas - Caribbean Journal - August 24th, 2021
- Virtual classes next week in The Bahamas NationNews Barbados nationnews.com - Nation News - August 24th, 2021
- Chef Marcus Samuelsson on Cultural Collaboration and His New Restaurant in the Bahamas - AFAR Media - August 24th, 2021
- INVESTOR INITIATIVE LAUNCHED: Red Lobster and Bahama MyFi first out the gate on ArawakX crowdfunding platform - EyeWitness News - August 24th, 2021
- How I and Other Young Activists Convinced The Bahamas to Do Away With Single-Use Plastics - Global Citizen - August 24th, 2021
- Bahamas announces general election eight months before the due date - WIC News - August 24th, 2021