On April 21, Texans will celebrate San Jacinto Day to commemorate the battle that culminated the Texas Revolution. While that victory secured Texass independence from Mexico, the revolutions animating principle was protecting the individuals independence from the State. The Texas Revolution liberated the individual.
When Texas delegates adopted a Declaration of Independence in early March 1836, they listed their reasons for separating from Mexico. That document cited numerous claims against the Mexican government:
It denies us the right of worshipping the Almighty according to the dictates of our own conscience, by the support of a national religion, calculated to promote the temporal interest of its human functionaries, rather than the glory of the true and living God.
It has suffered the military commandants, stationed among us, to exercise arbitrary acts of oppression and tyranny, thus trampling upon the most sacred rights of the citizens, and rendering the military superior to the civil power.
It has made piratical attacks upon our commerce, by commissioning foreign desperadoes, and authorizing them to seize our vessels, and convey the property of our citizens to far distant ports for confiscation.
In the years leading up to the Texas Revolution, the Mexican government increasingly restricted the intellectual, political, and economic freedom of individuals. As Ayn Rand noted, Intellectual freedom cannot exist without political freedom; political freedom cannot exist without economic freedom; a free mind and a free market are corollaries. Dictators like Santa Ana destroy political freedom by restricting and controlling intellectual and economic freedom.
Intellectual freedom means that we can express ideas without reprisal from the government, no matter who or how many may disapprove. Political freedom means that we do not need the governments permission to act in the pursuit of the values that our lives require. Economic freedom means that we can produce and trade as we think best for our own lives without interference from the government.
Mexicos efforts to subjugate Texans was founded on collectivismthe idea that the individual must subordinate his interests to the alleged interests of the group. Implicitly, the Texas Revolution was founded on individualismthe idea that individuals have a moral right to live for their own personal happiness. At the most fundamental level, the Texas Revolution liberated the individual from the despotic rule of the Mexican government.
That Texans did not apply the principle of individualism consistently is a stain on them. That failure does not negate the principle that the individual has a moral right to live his life for his own personal happiness.
In an age when the government is increasingly restricting our intellectual, political, and economic freedom, it is worth remembering the essential lesson from the Texas Revolution. Those who oppose growing government control over our lives must understand, articulate, and defend the principle of individualism. We need another revolution. However, taking up arms is not the solution. Taking up the pen is. We need a moral revolution that rejects collectivism and embraces individualism.
The political implementation of individualism is the recognition and protection of individual rights. Each individualmale or female, black or white, gay or heterosexualhas a moral right to act as he deems best, so long as he respects the freedom of others to do the same. Collectivism subordinates the individual to the group. Individual rights subordinate society to moral law. Collectivism holds that the individual exists solely to serve the group. Individualism holds that each individual exists for his own sake.
Sam Houston, Davey Crockett, and countless other brave men and women fought to establish intellectual, political, and economic freedom. If we wish to honor the legacy of the states founders, we must begin by embracing the principles for which they fought.
We are making critical coverage of the coronavirus available for free. Please consider subscribing so we can continue to bring you the latest news and information on this developing story.
- The Philosophic Case for the Absolute Right to Abortion - New Ideal - June 26th, 2022
- R2AK: Will monohulls sweep the podium? - Scuttlebutt Sailing News - June 26th, 2022
- Bill Maher Addressed an Eventful Political Week on Real Time - InsideHook - June 26th, 2022
- Ayn Rand v Donald Trump? - Daily Kos - June 22nd, 2022
- Letter: The rules of life are very simple - Detroit Lakes Tribune - June 22nd, 2022
- The Banality of Putin and Xi | Yaron Brook and Elan Journo - IAI - June 22nd, 2022
- American culture is destroying itself, and the planet, says leading activist Bill McKibben - Yahoo Philippines News - June 22nd, 2022
- Is Discussing the Consequences of Anti-Vaccine Disinformation Fun? - Science Based Medicine - June 3rd, 2022
- O'Donnell: Will the NBA's new red-light camera calls ruin The Finals for ABC/ESPN? - Daily Herald - June 1st, 2022
- The Strange and Terrifying Ideas of Neoreactionaries Current Affairs - Current Affairs - June 1st, 2022
- Martin Scorsese, Objectivism, Relativism, and How We Read Cinema - No Film School - June 1st, 2022
- Ayn Rand, Objectivists, and COVID - Science Based Medicine - May 25th, 2022
- Ayn Rand vs. Classical Economists - The Objective Standard - May 25th, 2022
- Opinion | Demolishing the Demonic Plans of Our Enemy, and Can We Get An Amen - Common Dreams - May 20th, 2022
- Ayn Rand's We the Living: Back on the Silver Screenand Better Than Ever - The Objective Standard - May 17th, 2022
- Congress revival: Time to break free of family - The Hans India - May 17th, 2022
- The Financial Dark Ages Are Ending Thanks To Bitcoin - Bitcoin Magazine - May 17th, 2022
- Marital rape: How understanding context rather than just focusing on consent will help resolve the issue - Firstpost - May 13th, 2022
- Deadly Class Season 2: Is a Release Date or Rumor in the Offing on Netflix? - Federal Regulations Advisor - May 13th, 2022
- The Daily Cartoon and Live Briefing: Monday, May 9, 2022 - FlaglerLive.com - May 13th, 2022
- RUSH's GEDDY LEE Says NEIL PEART 'Didn't Want Anyone To Know' About His Illness: 'He Wanted To Keep It In The House' - BLABBERMOUTH.NET - April 20th, 2022
- The Alternative Meat Industry Wants Solar Power Style Mandates And Subsidies - Science 2.0 - April 20th, 2022
- diSConnected: Is Ayn Rand or Mother Teresa better for protecting South Carolinians with disabilities? - South Carolina Public Radio - April 15th, 2022
- Did the John Birch Society Win in the End? - The Bulwark - April 15th, 2022
- Boris Johnsons Covid bravado insults the NHS and the public - The Guardian - April 15th, 2022
- Science Fiction in a Time of Crisis - Filmmaker Magazine - April 15th, 2022
- The criticism facing Rishi Sunak has nothing to do with race, and all to do with greed - iNews - April 15th, 2022
- Zack Snyder's Star Wars-Themed Movie Recruits The Princess Bride Star - Giant Freakin Robot - April 11th, 2022
- Debate sparked after University of Bristol students try to 'cancel' controversial speaker - Bristol Live - April 11th, 2022
- Rishi Sunak is a terrible bloke, regardless of his wife's finances - JOE.co.uk - April 11th, 2022
- Understanding the Roots of the New Inflation: With Rob Tarr - New Ideal - April 6th, 2022
- First Wind Film Development To Adapt Rick Bleiweiss Blackstone Novel Pignon Scorbion And The Barbershop Detectives For TV - Deadline - April 6th, 2022
- 'My jagged path to cap and gown': Reflections from a 23-year-old expectant high school graduate - Kennebec Journal and Morning Sentinel - April 6th, 2022
- Don't Believe The Hype: The Left Wish They Ran Cancel Culture Like This - Above the Law - April 6th, 2022
- Who is John Malone, the 'Cable Cowboy' and GB News backer who could buy Channel 4? - Left Foot Forward - April 6th, 2022
- Frank Lloyd Wright Left 660 Unbuilt Designs And an Innovative New Project Brings Three of Those to Life - InsideHook - March 17th, 2022
- American Familia: David Morales on Grit, Self-Reliance, and the American Dream | Kerry McDonald - Foundation for Economic Education - March 17th, 2022
- Top 10 buildings in fiction - The Guardian - February 17th, 2022
- Trump can now count on Thiel, the hi-tech billionaire who finances his revenge Corriere.it - D1SoftballNews.com - February 17th, 2022
- Objectivism Q&A with Ben Bayer and Mike Mazza - New Ideal - February 15th, 2022
- Leftists And So-Called Christian Leaders Embrace Abortion As 'Sacred' - The Federalist - February 15th, 2022
- A Companion to Ayn Rand Now in Paperback - New Ideal - February 11th, 2022
- Happy birthday to the great Ayn Rand Daily Breeze - February 7th, 2022
- The Fountainhead - AynRand.org - February 7th, 2022
- Randy Alcorn: Whats Wrong with America? - Noozhawk - February 7th, 2022
- Happy birthday to the great Ayn Rand - OCRegister - February 3rd, 2022
- Letter to the editor about Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. - Fillmore County Journal - February 3rd, 2022
- Why Are Members of Congress Allowed to Trade Stocks? - The Atlantic - February 3rd, 2022
- Anthem Quotes by Ayn Rand - Goodreads - January 19th, 2022
- The Fountainhead Reading Group with Andrew Bernstein - The Objective Standard - January 19th, 2022
- Bice: U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson blames LBJ and Great Society for high percentage of out-of-wedlock births - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - January 19th, 2022
- Who is Ray Epps? Who is John Galt? - Washington Times - January 19th, 2022
- Nancy Perkins to discuss: The British Mystery, 200 Years of Murder Most Foul - PenBayPilot.com - January 9th, 2022
- Robert Reich has the perfect answer to Trumpism - Salon - January 9th, 2022
- Advice: Im a woman of color often overlooked at work until people realize I outrank them - The Boston Globe - January 9th, 2022
- Seahawks vs Texans Week 14 Picks and Predictions: Learning To Fly Again - Covers - December 10th, 2021
- Philosophy - AynRand.org - December 7th, 2021
- Book Review | Peter Thiel, tech and power - newframe.com - December 7th, 2021
- The Remnant, The Parasite And The Masses - Bitcoin Magazine - December 7th, 2021
- Column: Infusion of Trillions in Funding Has Consequences - Southern Pines Pilot - December 3rd, 2021
- 15 Higher Education Stories Worth Investigating - Republic Report - December 3rd, 2021
- TCS country head: 'Ireland is a great place to do business' - Siliconrepublic.com - December 3rd, 2021
- Craig Wright, Satoshi Nakamoto and why people ridicule the greats in their lifetimes - CoinGeek - December 3rd, 2021
- Breaking News - A&E Delves Into the Psyche of Dennis Rader in "BTK: Confession of a Serial Killer" Featuring New Never-Before-Heard Conversations with... - December 3rd, 2021
- This Is How Amazon Is Fueling the Climate Crisis - City Watch - December 3rd, 2021
- Ideas and Dubious Consequences - Splice Today - November 17th, 2021
- Forza Horizon 5s amazing intro shows why its a huge hit on Game Pass - Polygon - November 17th, 2021
- Armstrong: Learning to live with Covid Complete Colorado Page Two - Complete Colorado - November 17th, 2021
- Celeb Shelf: Instead of scrolling through my phone I read a book, shares actor-turned-author Jugal Hansraj - Free Press Journal - November 9th, 2021
- Inside Final Days of Jane Fonda's Brother Peter Who Was Also an Actor & Suffered Tragedy at 10 - AmoMama - November 9th, 2021
- Jenny Turner We must think! Hannah Arendt's Islands LRB 4 November 2021 - London Review of Books - November 9th, 2021
- A Meditation on the Golden Rule | James Ford - Patheos - November 9th, 2021
- New from Ayn Rand University: Bacon's Philosophy of Science - New Ideal - November 5th, 2021
- Who Are Americas Billionaires, Anyway? - The New York Times - November 5th, 2021
- Its Time to Talk About Russell Westbrook (Again) - The Ringer - November 5th, 2021
- How racists and big money transformed the party of Abraham Lincoln into a modern-day Confederacy - Milwaukee Independent - November 5th, 2021
- Closing the barn door too late - FXStreet - October 26th, 2021
- Covid-19 Tracker: This is it? - Mission Local - October 26th, 2021
- BWW Review: Wall Street Takes Center Stage at Live Theatre Workshop - Broadway World - October 26th, 2021
- Letters to the editor, Oct. 23, 2021 | Opinion | rapidcityjournal.com - Rapid City Journal - October 26th, 2021