My fathers Republican Party is now the modern-day Confederacy, and Republicans defense of Steve Bannon defying subpoenas this week pretty much proves it. If it keeps moving in the same direction, our American republic may soon be fully transformed into a racist, strongman oligarchy.
The racist and big-money poisons began to take over the Republican Party in the 1950s and 1960s after the Supreme Court ordered an end to school segregation with Brown v Board, and LBJ and the Democrats embraced the Civil Rights, Voting Rights and Medicare Acts.
In aggregate, Johnsons Great Society offended both the nations billionaire oligarchs, who saw Medicare and other programs as socialism, and the White racists who were horrified that theyd now have to share schools, hospitals and polling places with African Americans and other minorities.
Those White racists, particularly in the South where the majority of Americas Black people lived, fled the Democratic Party and flocked instead to the GOP. Richard Nixon saw this as the key to his presidential victory in 1968, openly inviting racists in with his Southern Strategy.
Thus began the transformation of the party founded by Abraham Lincoln.
At the same time, the Libertarian and Objectivist movements found common cause with the anti-communist movement led by the John Birch Society that saw every effort to help working class or poor Americas as a step towards full-blown Soviet-style socialism. They all marched into the GOP.
The mob, as Ayn Rand used to call us American voters, couldnot be trusted any longer to determine who held power in America, these early leaders of the GOP determined, so they worked out ways to get around a multiracial and politically active populace.
The leading conservative light of the era, William F. Buckley, wrote for his National Review magazine an article titled Why The South Must Prevail:
The South does not want to deprive the Negro of a vote for the sake of depriving him of the vote, Buckley wrote. In some parts of the South, the White community merely intends to prevail that is all. It means to prevail on any issue on which there is corporate disagreement between Negro and White. The White community will take whatever measures are necessary to make certain that it has its way.
His article was grounded in a discussion of the jury system, but he couldnt help veering off-course (or on-course):
The central question that emerges is whether the White community in the South is entitled to take such measures as are necessary to prevail, politically and culturally, in areas in which it does not predominate numerically?
The sobering answer is Yes the White community is so entitled because, for the time being, it is the advanced race. It is not easy, and it is unpleasant, to adduce statistics evidencing the median cultural superiority of White over Negro: but it is a fact that obtrudes, one that cannot be hidden by ever-so-busy egalitarians and anthropologists.
Itis exactly the philosophy that today animates the new voting laws put into place over the past six months in Florida, Georgia, Texas and multiple other states. Racists and big money seized the GOP, and the GOP then drained 40 years of wealth from the Middle Class.
The merger of racism and big money reached its first peak in 1980 with the election of Ronald Reagan, who openly ran on states rights and the argument that government was the cause, not the solution, to the nations problems. Just leave everything to the morbidly rich and their magical free market and America, Saint Ronnie promised us, would become a paradise. At least for White people.
But it didnt work out that way for White people or anybody else; instead, the top 1 percent of Americans succeeded in grabbing well over $10 trillion from the middle class over the next forty years and have now largely ringfenced their wealth with bought-off Republicans declaring theyll never, ever vote to raise taxes on the morbidly rich.
And the billionaires and racists who seized the GOP are now turning it into something not seen in a major American political party since the Civil War. Its become an anti-American insurgency, along the lines of the Confederacy.
Many of the same wealthy individuals and corporations that brought Reagan to power continue to pour billions into the GOP, an effort that in 2016 brought authoritarian Donald Trump to the White House and threatens to do so again in 3 years.
But this isnot even the GOP of Reagans time: todays GOP has now transformed itself into a full-blown anti-democratic neofascist party.
Itis no longer the business-loving White-middle-class GOP of the 20th century: its now the party of Nazis and the Klan, although theyve turned in their cartoonish swastikas and white robes for red caps and camo.
Which is presenting the funder class in the GOP with a stark decision. Are their tax cuts and deregulation of pollution so important to them that theyll continue to fund a neofascist party in order to keep them? Early signs are not good.
Billionaire-owned rightwing radio and TV are rewriting the history of January 6th and continue spreading Trumps Big Lie about the 2020 election. Rightwing think tanks and billionaire-founded and -funded Astroturf activist groups continue their mischaracterizations and outright lies about President Bidens agenda.
Social media sites continue to use algorithms that drive increasingly extremist views and have become organizing platforms for lies, racism and political actions like intimidating school boards and election officials.
They have been so successful that the majority of Republican voters no longer trust our electoral system and are willing to have Republican-controlled legislatures decide how elections came out rather than voters.
While a small but vocal and credible group of former Republicans from politicians like Jeff Flake and George W. Bush, to GOP operatives like Steve Schmidt and Rick Wilson, to media figures like Jennifer Rubin and Joe Scarborough are speaking out and doing so in terms often far more blunt than even Democratic politicians, the oligarchs who own the Party are not listening.
The Republican base, meanwhile, is completely in thrall to Trump and he is showing every sign of running and possibly taking over the country using the 12th Amendment trick I was warning of more than a year ago, this time running John Eastmans scheme in 2024.
And if not Trump, there is no shortage of ambitious fascist-leaning Republican politicians in the mold of Rick Scott, Ted Cruz, Josh Hawley, Ron DeSantis and Greg Abbott who are more than willing to stand-in for him with the same strategy.
The stage is thus set now for the final, irrevocable transformation of Eisenhowers Party and American democracy. The turning point will be the 2022 election if Republicans can retake the House and Senate.
Nineteen states have already changed thirty-three voting laws to accommodate Trumps and John Eastmans 6-point-plan to ignore the popular vote and throw the electoral college vote into the House of Representatives to put a Republican loser of the 2024 election into the White House.
This will work if Justice Sam Alito and his rightwing extremist friends on the Supreme Court give the scheme their stamp of approval; Trump lawyer Sydney Powell said this week Alito was prepared to do just that. It is decision time.
Numerous corporations said that theyd stop funding the so-called treason caucus of 140+ Republicans who voted to decertify the 2020 election after the January 6th attempted assassination of the Vice President and the Speaker of the House.
Almost all of those corporations, as Judd Legum and David Sirota regularly document at popular.info and DailyPoster.com, have gone back on that pledge.
Eisenhowers GOP no longer exists: it has been replaced by an authoritarian shell that is home to open racists and billionaire oligarchs who dont want their businesses regulated or taxed. They are willing to end democracy in America to get what they want.
German industrialist Fritz Thyssen famously backed Hitler and lived to regret it, penning an awkward but portentous autobiography titled I Paid Hitler.
Will todays rightwing billionaires and the CEOs of our largest corporations one day be writing similar books? Or, if Trump prevails, will American democracy be so totally wiped out that no future publisher would dare sell such a book?
- The Philosophic Case for the Absolute Right to Abortion - New Ideal - June 26th, 2022
- R2AK: Will monohulls sweep the podium? - Scuttlebutt Sailing News - June 26th, 2022
- Bill Maher Addressed an Eventful Political Week on Real Time - InsideHook - June 26th, 2022
- Ayn Rand v Donald Trump? - Daily Kos - June 22nd, 2022
- Letter: The rules of life are very simple - Detroit Lakes Tribune - June 22nd, 2022
- The Banality of Putin and Xi | Yaron Brook and Elan Journo - IAI - June 22nd, 2022
- American culture is destroying itself, and the planet, says leading activist Bill McKibben - Yahoo Philippines News - June 22nd, 2022
- Is Discussing the Consequences of Anti-Vaccine Disinformation Fun? - Science Based Medicine - June 3rd, 2022
- O'Donnell: Will the NBA's new red-light camera calls ruin The Finals for ABC/ESPN? - Daily Herald - June 1st, 2022
- The Strange and Terrifying Ideas of Neoreactionaries Current Affairs - Current Affairs - June 1st, 2022
- Martin Scorsese, Objectivism, Relativism, and How We Read Cinema - No Film School - June 1st, 2022
- Ayn Rand, Objectivists, and COVID - Science Based Medicine - May 25th, 2022
- Ayn Rand vs. Classical Economists - The Objective Standard - May 25th, 2022
- Opinion | Demolishing the Demonic Plans of Our Enemy, and Can We Get An Amen - Common Dreams - May 20th, 2022
- Ayn Rand's We the Living: Back on the Silver Screenand Better Than Ever - The Objective Standard - May 17th, 2022
- Congress revival: Time to break free of family - The Hans India - May 17th, 2022
- The Financial Dark Ages Are Ending Thanks To Bitcoin - Bitcoin Magazine - May 17th, 2022
- Marital rape: How understanding context rather than just focusing on consent will help resolve the issue - Firstpost - May 13th, 2022
- Deadly Class Season 2: Is a Release Date or Rumor in the Offing on Netflix? - Federal Regulations Advisor - May 13th, 2022
- The Daily Cartoon and Live Briefing: Monday, May 9, 2022 - FlaglerLive.com - May 13th, 2022
- Victory at San Jacinto liberated the individual | Opinion | jacksonvilleprogress.com - Jacksonville Daily Progress - April 20th, 2022
- RUSH's GEDDY LEE Says NEIL PEART 'Didn't Want Anyone To Know' About His Illness: 'He Wanted To Keep It In The House' - BLABBERMOUTH.NET - April 20th, 2022
- The Alternative Meat Industry Wants Solar Power Style Mandates And Subsidies - Science 2.0 - April 20th, 2022
- diSConnected: Is Ayn Rand or Mother Teresa better for protecting South Carolinians with disabilities? - South Carolina Public Radio - April 15th, 2022
- Did the John Birch Society Win in the End? - The Bulwark - April 15th, 2022
- Boris Johnsons Covid bravado insults the NHS and the public - The Guardian - April 15th, 2022
- Science Fiction in a Time of Crisis - Filmmaker Magazine - April 15th, 2022
- The criticism facing Rishi Sunak has nothing to do with race, and all to do with greed - iNews - April 15th, 2022
- Zack Snyder's Star Wars-Themed Movie Recruits The Princess Bride Star - Giant Freakin Robot - April 11th, 2022
- Debate sparked after University of Bristol students try to 'cancel' controversial speaker - Bristol Live - April 11th, 2022
- Rishi Sunak is a terrible bloke, regardless of his wife's finances - JOE.co.uk - April 11th, 2022
- Understanding the Roots of the New Inflation: With Rob Tarr - New Ideal - April 6th, 2022
- First Wind Film Development To Adapt Rick Bleiweiss Blackstone Novel Pignon Scorbion And The Barbershop Detectives For TV - Deadline - April 6th, 2022
- 'My jagged path to cap and gown': Reflections from a 23-year-old expectant high school graduate - Kennebec Journal and Morning Sentinel - April 6th, 2022
- Don't Believe The Hype: The Left Wish They Ran Cancel Culture Like This - Above the Law - April 6th, 2022
- Who is John Malone, the 'Cable Cowboy' and GB News backer who could buy Channel 4? - Left Foot Forward - April 6th, 2022
- Frank Lloyd Wright Left 660 Unbuilt Designs And an Innovative New Project Brings Three of Those to Life - InsideHook - March 17th, 2022
- American Familia: David Morales on Grit, Self-Reliance, and the American Dream | Kerry McDonald - Foundation for Economic Education - March 17th, 2022
- Top 10 buildings in fiction - The Guardian - February 17th, 2022
- Trump can now count on Thiel, the hi-tech billionaire who finances his revenge Corriere.it - D1SoftballNews.com - February 17th, 2022
- Objectivism Q&A with Ben Bayer and Mike Mazza - New Ideal - February 15th, 2022
- Leftists And So-Called Christian Leaders Embrace Abortion As 'Sacred' - The Federalist - February 15th, 2022
- A Companion to Ayn Rand Now in Paperback - New Ideal - February 11th, 2022
- Happy birthday to the great Ayn Rand Daily Breeze - February 7th, 2022
- The Fountainhead - AynRand.org - February 7th, 2022
- Randy Alcorn: Whats Wrong with America? - Noozhawk - February 7th, 2022
- Happy birthday to the great Ayn Rand - OCRegister - February 3rd, 2022
- Letter to the editor about Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. - Fillmore County Journal - February 3rd, 2022
- Why Are Members of Congress Allowed to Trade Stocks? - The Atlantic - February 3rd, 2022
- Anthem Quotes by Ayn Rand - Goodreads - January 19th, 2022
- The Fountainhead Reading Group with Andrew Bernstein - The Objective Standard - January 19th, 2022
- Bice: U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson blames LBJ and Great Society for high percentage of out-of-wedlock births - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - January 19th, 2022
- Who is Ray Epps? Who is John Galt? - Washington Times - January 19th, 2022
- Nancy Perkins to discuss: The British Mystery, 200 Years of Murder Most Foul - PenBayPilot.com - January 9th, 2022
- Robert Reich has the perfect answer to Trumpism - Salon - January 9th, 2022
- Advice: Im a woman of color often overlooked at work until people realize I outrank them - The Boston Globe - January 9th, 2022
- Seahawks vs Texans Week 14 Picks and Predictions: Learning To Fly Again - Covers - December 10th, 2021
- Philosophy - AynRand.org - December 7th, 2021
- Book Review | Peter Thiel, tech and power - newframe.com - December 7th, 2021
- The Remnant, The Parasite And The Masses - Bitcoin Magazine - December 7th, 2021
- Column: Infusion of Trillions in Funding Has Consequences - Southern Pines Pilot - December 3rd, 2021
- 15 Higher Education Stories Worth Investigating - Republic Report - December 3rd, 2021
- TCS country head: 'Ireland is a great place to do business' - Siliconrepublic.com - December 3rd, 2021
- Craig Wright, Satoshi Nakamoto and why people ridicule the greats in their lifetimes - CoinGeek - December 3rd, 2021
- Breaking News - A&E Delves Into the Psyche of Dennis Rader in "BTK: Confession of a Serial Killer" Featuring New Never-Before-Heard Conversations with... - December 3rd, 2021
- This Is How Amazon Is Fueling the Climate Crisis - City Watch - December 3rd, 2021
- Ideas and Dubious Consequences - Splice Today - November 17th, 2021
- Forza Horizon 5s amazing intro shows why its a huge hit on Game Pass - Polygon - November 17th, 2021
- Armstrong: Learning to live with Covid Complete Colorado Page Two - Complete Colorado - November 17th, 2021
- Celeb Shelf: Instead of scrolling through my phone I read a book, shares actor-turned-author Jugal Hansraj - Free Press Journal - November 9th, 2021
- Inside Final Days of Jane Fonda's Brother Peter Who Was Also an Actor & Suffered Tragedy at 10 - AmoMama - November 9th, 2021
- Jenny Turner We must think! Hannah Arendt's Islands LRB 4 November 2021 - London Review of Books - November 9th, 2021
- A Meditation on the Golden Rule | James Ford - Patheos - November 9th, 2021
- New from Ayn Rand University: Bacon's Philosophy of Science - New Ideal - November 5th, 2021
- Who Are Americas Billionaires, Anyway? - The New York Times - November 5th, 2021
- Its Time to Talk About Russell Westbrook (Again) - The Ringer - November 5th, 2021
- Closing the barn door too late - FXStreet - October 26th, 2021
- Covid-19 Tracker: This is it? - Mission Local - October 26th, 2021
- BWW Review: Wall Street Takes Center Stage at Live Theatre Workshop - Broadway World - October 26th, 2021
- Letters to the editor, Oct. 23, 2021 | Opinion | rapidcityjournal.com - Rapid City Journal - October 26th, 2021