by Howard Campbell
MIAMI Three generations of women who made their marks on Caribbean music will be on this years Best of The Best Music Fest, scheduled for May 24 at Bayfront Park in Miami.
They are Jamaican dancehall stars Lady G, Tanya Stephens, Spice, Shenseea and Koffee, and Barbadian soca veteran Alison Hinds. According to Ronnie Tomlinson, publicist for the event, given their growing impact in music, promoters went for a strong cast of women.
Females are making a tremendous stride in the music industry, more than we have noticed in the past years. They are reigning in charts and engaging with their fans more than we have noticed before. Several of the female artists we have on this years lineup are streaming very well and have well over a million followers, said Tomlinson.
The Grammy-nominated Koffee has been the most visible of these acts in the last 18 months. Her song Toast has done well in the United States and United Kingdom, even earning the nod from former US President Barack Obama.
Nineteen year-old Koffee is favorite to win the Grammy Award for Best Reggae Album on January 26 with her EP, Rapture.
Like Koffee, Shenseea represents the new generation of dancehall and is popular throughout the Caribbean and Diaspora markets in the US.
Lady G has been recording for over 30 years and is best known for the 1988 hit song, Nuff Respect, which hit out against sexism in the Jamaican music business. Stephens career took off in the 1990s through risqu anthems such as Big Things A Gwaan and Yuh Nuh Ready fi Dis Yet.
Spice is a protg of Vybz Kartel whose provocative live show is reminiscent of Lady Saw.
London-born Hinds has been a leading figure in soca for over 30 years.
Tomlinson noted that Best Of The Bests female audience has grown considerably since the show was first held in 2010.
Women make this music fest a destination getaway aka girl trip. But the men also come out in numbers as they enjoy the outdoor festivities along with the cultural aspect of food and purchasing of arts and craft, she said.
The full lineup for Best Of The Best Music Fest 2020 will be announced soon.
The rest is here:
- 5 Caribbean Vacation Destinations Reopening This Summer - The New York Times - July 5th, 2020
- With Europe off limits, US travelers look to the Caribbean - CNN - July 5th, 2020
- Latin America and the Caribbean Region COVID-19 Situation Report No. 5 (Reporting Period: 1 - 30 June 2020) - Argentina - ReliefWeb - July 5th, 2020
- Can Margot Robbie save Pirates of the Caribbean from irrelevance? - The Guardian - July 5th, 2020
- Jamaica becomes first Caribbean nation to submit tougher climate plan to UN - Climate Home - July 5th, 2020
- Caribbean Unveils Initiatives To Support Reopening Tourism - South Florida Caribbean News - July 5th, 2020
- Don't Worry, 'Pirates of the Caribbean' Hasn't Replaced Jack Sparrow -- At Least Not Yet - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - July 5th, 2020
- Royal Caribbean Shares Update on Cruising Start Date and the Future of the Buffet - TravelPulse - July 5th, 2020
- Garca: DR will regain its leadership in the Caribbean with the arrival of thousands of tourists - Dominican Today - July 5th, 2020
- Andersen Global Expands in the Caribbean - Financial Post - July 5th, 2020
- Le Creusets New Lotus Collection Has The Perfect Caribbean Blue Color - Yahoo Lifestyle - July 5th, 2020
- Steps towards Blue Carbon mitigation under NDCs in Latin America and the Caribbean - Center for International Forestry Research - July 5th, 2020
- July Best Bets: East Coast and Caribbean -- Biding Time Until the Dust Settles and Hurricane Surf Arrives? - Surfline.com Surf News - July 5th, 2020
- How to Visit Saint Lucia And Where You Can Stay - Caribbean Journal - July 5th, 2020
- A Guide to the Caribbean Islands Reopening this Summer - Cond Nast Traveler - June 22nd, 2020
- Elite Island Resorts Readying to Reopen in Caribbean Paradise - TravelPulse - June 22nd, 2020
- 8 Caribbean Islands That Are Reopening to US Travelers This Summerand Where to Stay When You Get There - Robb Report - June 22nd, 2020
- DIY Pirates of the Caribbean Skeleton Fountain - Inside the Magic - June 22nd, 2020
- Traveling to the US Virgin Islands, Explained Caribbean Journal - Caribbean Journal - June 22nd, 2020
- Enphase Energy and ProSolar Restore Solar Power at Bluebeard's Castle Resort in the Caribbean - GlobeNewswire - June 22nd, 2020
- Ritz-Carlton Reserve Reopening in Puerto Rico Caribbean Journal - Caribbean Journal - June 22nd, 2020
- Virgin Atlantic to fly to Miami, Johannesburg and the Caribbean from August - Evening Standard - June 22nd, 2020
- Latin America and Caribbean exceed 2m cases as it happened - The Guardian - June 22nd, 2020
- Caribbean business leaders worried about second wave of COVID-19 - Jamaica Gleaner - June 22nd, 2020
- Why Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Norwegian Cruise Stocks Just Got Torpedoed and Are Going Down - Motley Fool - June 22nd, 2020
- Saharan Dust Could Spread to Caribbean, Gulf of Mexico and US Into Next Week - The Weather Channel - June 17th, 2020
- When Are Popular Vacation Spots in the Caribbean and Mexico Reopening? - InsideHook - June 17th, 2020
- Pack a mask with your swimsuit the Caribbeans reopening - Boston Herald - June 17th, 2020
- Latin America & the Caribbean countries need to spend more and better on health to be better able to face a major health emergency like COVID-19... - June 17th, 2020
- Food systems and COVID-19 in Latin America and the Caribbean: The opportunity for digital transformation (Bulletin 8) - Guatemala - ReliefWeb - June 17th, 2020
- St Barth to Reopen for Tourism on June 22 Caribbean Journal - Caribbean Journal - June 17th, 2020
- Reopening Tourism Tracker Launched for the Caribbean | Business - The Weekly Journal - June 17th, 2020
- The Caribbean, Uniquely Vulnerable to COVID-19, May Take Years to Recover - World Politics Review - June 17th, 2020
- Jamaican Appointed as New IFC Regional Manager for the Caribbean - caribbeannationalweekly.com - June 17th, 2020
- Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association Introduces Reopening Tracker - TravelPulse - June 17th, 2020
- Karisma Hotels to Reopen in Mexico and Caribbean - RusTourismNews - June 17th, 2020
- Haitians join with Caribbean community to demand justice - Haitian Times - June 17th, 2020
- Why Carnival Corporation, Norwegian Cruise, and Royal Caribbean Stocks All Popped Today - The Motley Fool - June 17th, 2020
- DaniLeigh and Fivio Foreign head to the Caribbean for Dominican Mami visual - REVOLT TV - June 17th, 2020
- Latin America and Caribbean Market for Hosted IP Telephony and UCaaS: Increased Remote Working Due to COVID-19 Opens Up Interesting Opportunities for... - June 17th, 2020
- Pirates of the Caribbean 6 release date, cast, plot and trailer - Looper - June 17th, 2020
- When Can We Return To The Caribbean? - Forbes - May 19th, 2020
- Outlook into the Latin America and the Caribbean Furniture Market to 2021 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - May 19th, 2020
- Latin America & The Caribbean - Weekly Situation Update (11-17 May 2020) As of 18 May 2020 - World - ReliefWeb - May 19th, 2020
- Joint statement by the heads of the Organisation of African, Caribbean and Pacific States, the Caribbean Community, and the Pacific Islands Forum... - May 19th, 2020
- Esri and IDB Offer Solution to Combat COVID-19 in Latin America and the Caribbean - Geospatial World - May 19th, 2020
- 4 Incredible Experiences to Have in the Caribbean - Femina - May 19th, 2020
- IDB, Esri offer solutions to combat COVID-19 in the Caribbean - Jamaica Observer - May 19th, 2020
- UK Armed Forces step up support to the Caribbean Overseas Territories during coronavirus pandemic - GOV.UK - May 19th, 2020
- Over 1,000 Jamaicans on Royal Caribbean cleared to disembark - Stabroek News - May 19th, 2020
- US Deportations Are Exporting COVID-19 to Latin America and the Caribbean - Truthout - May 19th, 2020
- Royal Caribbean Can Make It Through to 2021, but Whats Next? - Yahoo Finance - May 19th, 2020
- Ambassador Edmunds recent comments on Caribbean tourism in recent Latin America Advisor publication of the Inter-American Dialogue - The Voice St.... - May 19th, 2020
- Good news for visitors to the Caribbean as St Lucia looks to open borders from June 4 - The Voice Online - May 19th, 2020
- Five Caribbean countries among 100 to get World Bank aid - Nation News - May 19th, 2020
- 'Pirates of the Caribbean 6' producer breaks silence over Johnny Depp's future - Micky News - May 19th, 2020
- Popular Caribbean joint in Toronto is now doing roti meal kits for takeout and delivery - blogTO - May 19th, 2020
- 5 Caribbean Islands Where You Can Go Beyond the Beach - The New York Times - March 5th, 2020
- Caribbean tourism threatened by the region's first cases of COVID-19 - Global Voices - March 5th, 2020
- Is This The Next Big Vacation Spot In The Caribbean? - Forbes - March 5th, 2020
- Cruises and the Coronavirus: What Passengers Need to Know - The New York Times - March 5th, 2020
- Why Shares of Royal Caribbean Were Down in February - Motley Fool - March 5th, 2020
- When is Wild Cuba: A Caribbean Journey on TV? - BBC Discover Wildlife - March 5th, 2020
- Cook Like the Chefs on Taste the Islands with New Caribbean Cookbook - Island Origins - March 5th, 2020
- Flycana: Dominican start-up LCC working to be viable in the Caribbean - CAPA - Centre for Aviation - March 5th, 2020
- Caribbean-style roti shop, On the Double, coming this spring to Union Market. - PoPville - March 5th, 2020
- "The new authentic Caribbean street food eatery and Rhum bar will serve many of the menu items from its acclaimed sister restaurant, Cane Rhum... - March 5th, 2020
- Pirates Of The Caribbean 5: Why Keith Richards Was Replaced By Paul McCartney - Screen Rant - March 5th, 2020
- Royal Caribbean Is Starting To Look Attractive - Seeking Alpha - March 5th, 2020
- Johnny Depp Never Actually Lost His Pirates Of The Caribbean Role - ScreenGeek - March 5th, 2020
- From the Newsroom: Cruising along in the Caribbean - The Columbian - February 29th, 2020
- The Invention of the "Healthy" Caribbean - JSTOR Daily - February 29th, 2020
- The 4 best Caribbean spots in Baltimore - Hoodline - February 29th, 2020
- Import Substitution: Local Fruits And Veggies Can Feed Caribbean Economies - Forbes - February 29th, 2020
- Kamau Brathwaite and the Voice of the Caribbean - The New York Review of Books - February 29th, 2020
- St Maarten Is the Caribbean's Fastest-Growing Destination Right Now - Caribbean Journal - February 29th, 2020
- Faces & Places: Jews of the Caribbean Detroit Jewish News - The Jewish News - February 29th, 2020
- What in the world are those things washing up on Floridas beaches? - TCPalm - February 29th, 2020
- I spent a day on the most beautiful island in the Caribbean and never left my room. It was incredible. - Business Insider - February 29th, 2020
- Cooks from parts of Africa, the US, and the Caribbean share their heritage recipes - The Philadelphia Inquirer - February 29th, 2020