When 42-year-old Danielle Simone Brand started having hormonal migraines, she first turned to cannabidiol (CBD) oil, eventually adding an occasional pull on a prefilled -9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) vape for nighttime use. She was careful to avoid THC during work hours. A parenting and cannabis writer, Brand had more than a cursory background in cannabinoid medicine and had spent time at her local California dispensary discussing various cannabinoid components that might help alleviate her pain.
A self-professed "do-it-yourselfer," Brand continues to use cannabinoids for her monthly headaches, forgoing any other pain medication. "There are times for conventional medicine in partnership with your doctor, but when it comes to health and wellness, women should be empowered to make decisions and self-experiment," she told Medscape Medical News.
Brand is not alone. Significant numbers of women are replacing or supplementing prescription medications with cannabinoids, often without consulting their primary care physician, ob/gyn, or other specialist. At times, women have tried to have these conversations, only to be met with silence or worse.
Take Linda Fuller, a 58-year-old yoga instructor from Long Island who says that she uses CBD and THC for chronic sacroiliac pain after a car accident and to alleviate stress-triggered eczema flares. "I've had doctors turn their backs on me; I've had nurse practitioners walk out on me in the middle of a sentence," she told Medscape Medical News.
Fuller says her conversion to cannabinoid medicine is relatively new; she never used cannabis recreationally before her accident but now considers it a gift. She doesn't keep aspirin in the house and refused pain medication immediately after she injured her back.
Diana Krach, a 34-year-old writer from Maryland, says she's encountered roadblocks about her decision to use cannabinoids for endometriosis and for pain from Crohn's disease. When she tried to discuss her CBD use with a gastroenterologist, he interrupted her: "Whatever pot you're smoking isn't going to work, you're going on biologics," he told her.
Krach had not been smoking anything but had turned to a CBD tincture for symptom relief after prescription pain medications failed to help.
Brand, Fuller, and Krach are the tip of the iceberg when it comes to women seeking symptom relief outside the medicine cabinet. A recent survey in the Journal of Women's Health of almost 1000 women show that 90% (most between the ages of 35 and 44) had used cannabis and would consider using it to treat gynecologic pain. Roughly 80% said they would consider using it for procedure-related pain or other conditions. Additionally, women have reported using cannabinoids for posttraumatic stress disorder, sleep disturbances or insomnia, anxiety, and migraine headaches.
Observational survey data have likewise shown that 80% of women with advanced or recurrent gynecologic malignancies who were prescribed cannabis reported that it was equivalent or superior to other medications for relieving pain, neuropathy, nausea, insomnia, decreased appetite, and anxiety.
In another survey, almost half (45%) of women with gynecologic malignancies who used nonprescribed cannabis for the same symptoms reported that they had reduced their use of prescription narcotics after initiating use of cannabis.
There has been a surge in self-reported cannabis use among pregnant women in particular. The National Survey on Drug Use and Health findings for the periods 20022003 and 20162017 highlight increases in adjusted prevalence rates from 3.4% to 7% in past-month use among pregnant women overall and from 5.7% to 12.1% during the first trimester alone.
"The more that you talk to pregnant women, the more that you realize that a lot are using cannabinoids for something that is basically medicinal, for sleep, for anxiety, or for nausea," Katrina Mark, MD, an ob/gyn and associate professor of medicine at the University of Maryland, in College Park, Maryland, told Medscape Medical News. "I'm not saying it's fine to use drugs in pregnancy, but it is a grayer conversation than a lot of colleagues want to believe. Telling women to quit seems foolish since the alternative is to be anxious, don't sleep, don't eat, or use a medication that also has risks to it."
One observational study shows that pregnant women themselves are conflicted. Although the majority believe that cannabis is "natural" and "safe" compared with prescription drugs, they aren't entirely in the dark about potential risks. They often express frustration with practitioners' responses when these topics are broached during office visits. An observational survey among women and practitioners published earlier this year highlights that only half of doctors openly discouraged perinatal cannabis use and that others opted out of the discussion entirely.
This is the experience of many of the women that Medscape Medical News spoke with. Krach pointed out that "there's a big deficit in listening; the doctor is supposed to be working for our behalf, especially when it comes to reproductive health."
Mark believes that a lot of the conversation has been clouded by the illegality of the substance but that cannabinoids deserve as much of a fair chance for discussion and consideration as other medicines, which also carry risks in pregnancy. "There's literally no evidence that it will work in pregnancy [for these symptoms], but there's no evidence that it doesn't, either," she told Medscape Medical News. "When I have this conversation with colleagues who do not share my views, I try to encourage them to look at the actual risks vs the benefits vs the alternatives."
Data supporting cannabinoids have been mostly laboratory-based, case-based, or observational. However, several well-designed (albeit small) trials have demonstrated efficacy for chronic pain conditions, including neuropathic and headache pain, as well as in Crohn's disease. Most investigators have concluded that dosage is important and that there is a synergistic interaction between compounds (known as the "entourage effect") that relates to cannabinoid efficacy or lack thereof, as well as possible adverse effects.
In addition to legality issues, the entourage effect is one of the most important factors related to the medical use of cannabinoids. "There are literally thousands of cultivars of cannabis, each with their own phytocannabinoid and terpenic profiles that may produce distinct therapeutic effects, [so] it is misguided to speak of cannabis in monolithic terms. It is like making broad claims about soup," writes coauthor Samoon Ahmad, MD, in Medical Marijuana: A Clinical Handbook.
Additionally, the role that reproductive hormones play is not entirely understood. Reproductive-aged women appear to be more susceptible to a "telescoping" (gender-related progression to dependence) effect in comparison with men. Ziva Cooper, PhD, director of the UCLA Cannabis Research Initiative, told Medscape Medical News. She explained that research has shown that factors such as the degree of exposure, frequency of use, and menses confound this susceptibility.
Frustration over cannabinoid therapeutics abound, especially when it comes to data, legal issues, and lack of training. "The feedback that I hear from providers is that there isn't enough information; we just don't know enough about it," Mark said, "but there is information that we do have, and ignoring it is not beneficial."
Cooper concurs. Although she readily acknowledges that data from randomized, placebo-controlled trials are mostly lacking, she says, "There are signals in the literature providing evidence for the utility of cannabis and cannabinoids for pain and some other effects."
Other practitioners told Medscape Medical News that some patients admit to using cannabinoids but that they lack the ample information to guide these patients. By and large, many women equate "natural" with "safe," and some will experiment on their own to see what works.
Those experiments are not without risk, which is why "it's just as important for physicians to talk to their patients about cannabis use as it is for patients to be forthcoming about that use," said Cooper. "It could have implications on their overall health as well as interactions with other drugs that they're using."
That balance from a clinical perspective on cannabis is crucial, writes coauthor Kenneth Hill, MD, in Medical Marijuana: A Clinical Handbook. "Without it," he writes, "the window of opportunity for a patient to accept treatment that she needs may not be open very long."
For more news, follow Medscape on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.
View original post here:
- Worldwide Cannabinoid Hemp Oil Industry to 2025 - Legalised Supply of Quality-controlled CBD Oil for Sale is Driving Growth - PRNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- Best CBD Products To Try This Spring - vmagazine.com - April 23rd, 2021
- Martha Stewart, Jaleel White and more promote cannabis use: Experts weigh in on THC vs. CBD - USA TODAY - April 23rd, 2021
- The Chemistry of Delta-8 'New and Improved' THC - American Council on Science and Health - April 23rd, 2021
- How to Buy CBD for Dogs in Maryland - The Southern Maryland Chronicle - April 23rd, 2021
- The Benefits of Vaping CBD Oil - - VENTS Magazine - April 23rd, 2021
- Global Cannabidiol Oil (CBD Oil) Market 2021 Growth Analysis, Research, Trends, Key Players and Forecast to 2027 Clark County Blog - Clark County... - April 23rd, 2021
- Global Pharmaceutical Grade Hemp Oil Market 2021 with Top Countries Data Industry Growth Analysis, Future Demand and Leading Players Updates by... - April 23rd, 2021
- Hemp legalization to help crop diversity in rural communities, bring in additional revenue - KTVB.com - April 23rd, 2021
- Hemp Oil Market 2021 Size Share Upcoming Trends Segmentation, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 Northern Gwinnett News - Northern Gwinnett News... - April 23rd, 2021
- Nextleaf Solutions Onboards New Partner and Delivers Initial Bulk CBD Order - StreetInsider.com - April 23rd, 2021
- CBD Oil (Middle East and Africa) Market to Witness the Highest Growth Globally in Coming Years 2021-2027 The Courier - The Courier - April 23rd, 2021
- Does CBD Oil Expire? How to Check and Whether It's Safe - Healthline - April 23rd, 2021
- CBD Oil Market Insights, Forecast and Global Industry Analysis | Medical Marijuana, FOLIUM BIOSCIENCES, IrieCBD The Courier - The Courier - April 23rd, 2021
- How Houstons Hemp-Based Highway Vodka Went From Hobby to Hot Commodity - Eater Houston - April 23rd, 2021
- CBD oil, mental health days for first responders? Here are some resources Austin personnel could be getting - KXAN.com - April 11th, 2021
- 11 Best CBD Companies to Buy From in 2021: Honest Reviews & Guide - Observer - April 11th, 2021
- Top 9 Tips on Using CBD Oil - Oregon Cannabis Connection - April 11th, 2021
- The Benefits of CBD Gummies - Orlando Magazine - April 11th, 2021
- Best CBD Dog Treats To Reduce Dog's Anxiety & Pain - Bainbridge Island Review - April 11th, 2021
- 7 Vegan CBD Products That Will Destress You Right Now - VegNews - April 11th, 2021
- CBD Oil Extract Market Global Demand to Offer Lucrative Growth Prospects For Manufacturers By Aurora Cannabis, MARICANN, Tilray, Tikun Olam, The... - April 11th, 2021
- I Tried Tommy Chong's Good Vibes Protocol CBD & It Changed Everything - L.A. Weekly - April 11th, 2021
- What To Expect In 2021 from CBD Oil Market, Know Why Competition is Rising The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv Network - April 11th, 2021
- CBD Oil Extract Market Insights, Facts, Figures and Trends 2021-2027 | MarketDigits The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv Network - April 11th, 2021
- Marijuana dispensary could be within reach for local CBD shop owner - wtkr.com - wtkr.com - April 11th, 2021
- Reefer Madness Crowd Discovers CBD With Predictable Results - The Fresh Toast - April 11th, 2021
- CBD of Denver Inc. Reports First Quarter 2021 Revenue of USD $7.3 Million - Yahoo Finance - April 11th, 2021
- Full Spectrum Cannabis Products Industry Expected To Remain Robust Through 2027 - PRNewswire - April 11th, 2021
- SMPLSTC Reveals 3 New CBD Tinctures - PR Web - March 31st, 2021
- Hemp Oil Market Future Growth Prospect, Industry Report And Growing Demand Analysis Till 2026 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel... - March 31st, 2021
- CBD Oil Market 2021 is Showing Impressive Growth by 2029 | Industry Trends, Share, Size, Top Key Players Analysis and Forecast Research KSU | The... - March 31st, 2021
- CBD for Alzheimer's? The Cannabidiol Craze Makes Its Way Into Research - Being Patient - March 31st, 2021
- Global CBD Oil Market Manufacturers, Technology, Segmentation and Development Trends Forecasts to 2025 SoccerNurds - SoccerNurds - March 31st, 2021
- Heres Why Everybody Is Trying CBD Body Wash - SF Weekly - March 31st, 2021
- Europe CBD Oil Market Major factor driving the growth of this market is the medical advantages of CBD oil | DBMR The Courier - The Courier - March 31st, 2021
- Canna Comforts continues to expand with its focus on Hemp CBD products that heal - PR Web - March 31st, 2021
- US hemp oil Market: Current Market Scenario And Industry Forecasts 2021-2027|| Know the Companies List Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the... - March 31st, 2021
- CBD of Denver Inc. (CBDD) Becomes One of the First CBD Companies to Accept Bitcoin and Other Crypto Currencies - Yahoo Finance - March 31st, 2021
- Legacy Distribution Group, a Subsidiary of CBD Global Sciences, to Begin Distribution for Docklight Brands Inc. - Yahoo Finance - March 31st, 2021
- CBD Could Be A Key to Treating Addiction Long-Term, Studies Show - Observer - March 31st, 2021
- Global $13.4 Billion Cannabidiol Market to 2028 - Increasing Awareness CBD Health Benefits, Changing Consumer Opinion, and Attitude Toward CBD... - March 25th, 2021
- What are the uses and benefits you get from CBD cannabis? - News Anyway - March 25th, 2021
- Hemp is Becoming a Global Business As Market Projects Big Gains By 2024 - PRNewswire - March 25th, 2021
- CBD oil and MCI here's what you need to know - GoCogno.com - March 25th, 2021
- Mum tells how Paisley brothers' cannabis oil changed her life after years of pain - Daily Record - March 25th, 2021
- Cannabinoid Hemp Oil Market Research Report by Form, by Source, by Distribution Mode, by Application - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of... - March 11th, 2021
- I Tried CBD Hemp Body Lotion as a MoisturizerHere's My Review - msnNOW - March 11th, 2021
- Is Cannabis Good For Gut Health? - The Fresh Toast - March 11th, 2021
- Idaho farmers are one step closer to growing hemp legally, as House passes bill - Southernminn.com - March 11th, 2021
- BevCanna Solidifies Partnership with Nextleaf to Manufacture High-Quality THC and CBD Infused Beverages - Business Wire - March 11th, 2021
- Cannabis Oil Market to Witness Huge Growth by Emblem Cannabis Oils, CV Sciences, Halo - NeighborWebSJ - March 11th, 2021
- Global Hemp Seed Oil Market Research and Impressive Industry Growth Report 2027 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - March 11th, 2021
- 6 Best CBD Oil for Sleep 2021 - Hemp Products That Actually Help | HeraldNet.com - The Daily Herald - March 5th, 2021
- Hands Down, These Are the Best CBD Oils for Better Sleep and Relaxation - Yahoo Lifestyle - March 5th, 2021
- How To Boost Your Health With CBD Oil - KHTS Radio - March 5th, 2021
- CBN Oil for Sleeping Is Better Than Melatonin and CBD - The Daily Beast - March 5th, 2021
- Best CBD Dog Treats - Top 4 Brands... - Kitsap Daily News - March 5th, 2021
- Global CBD Oil Extract Market: Industry Analysis and Forecast (2021-2027) by Type, Application, and Region Canopy Growth Corporation, Aphria, Aurora... - March 5th, 2021
- 10 Best CBD Companies to Buy From in 2021: Honest Reviews & Guide - Observer - March 5th, 2021
- 5 Reasons Why Vaping Is The Best Way To Take CBD - South Florida Caribbean News - March 5th, 2021
- CBD Topicals: What Are They and How Do They Work? - TheNationRoar - March 5th, 2021
- Global CBD Oil Market: Predictable to Demand Drivers and Growth Stimulators Expected to Growth During the Forecast Period 2026 - NY Market Reports - March 5th, 2021
- CBD oil to relax and fight stress - Australian Times - March 5th, 2021
- Cannabidiol Oil Market Forecast Revised in a New Market Research Store Report as COVID-19 Projected to Hold a Massive Impact on Sales in 2021 The... - March 5th, 2021
- Cannabidiol, skin homeostasis and acne skin care - Open Access Government - March 5th, 2021
- Like CBD, turmeric has taken the modern wellness industry by stormand for good reason! - OK! - March 5th, 2021
- Hemp oil Market Increasing Demand, Industry Share, Growth with Industry Study Pandemic, Upcoming Years and How it is Going to Impact on Global... - February 22nd, 2021
- Recent Study on CBD Hemp Oil Market 2021 Including Key Players, Applications, and Growth Size By 2026 Express Keeper - Express Keeper - February 22nd, 2021
- Health Benefits of CBD Oil for Women | Info4u | indiawest.com - India West - India West - February 22nd, 2021
- Leafreport: Less than 1 in 4 CBD topicals contain the amount of CBD labeled - PRNewswire - February 22nd, 2021
- Global CBD Oil Market Insights, Overview, Analysis and Forecast 2021 2023 SoccerNurds - SoccerNurds - February 22nd, 2021
- Keebler cookies, cbdMD Gummies among 2021 Products of the Year - Candy Industry - February 22nd, 2021
- Legal Marijuana Market Analysis with Top Trends, Leading Companies, Key Regions, Segments, Mergers and Foreseen By DBMR Till 2027 : VIVO Cannabis, Dr.... - February 22nd, 2021
- CBD Oil Market to Witness Stunning Growth To Generate Massive Revenue Forecast to 2027 Gaia Herbs ENDOCA, Diamond CBD, NuLeaf Naturals The Courier -... - February 22nd, 2021
- Europe CBD Oil Market Set to Witness Huge Growth and Competitive Outlook Aurora Cannabis, Diamond CBD, ENDOCA The Courier - The Courier - February 22nd, 2021
- Global Medical Cannabis Based Oil Extract-Infused Products Market Trends and Vendors Analysis after Covid-19 Pandemic Opportunities Scenario... - February 22nd, 2021
- Hempura Plans to Bring Authentic CBD Oil Products to the United States - Yahoo Finance - February 6th, 2021
- 5 Best CBD Ointments and Salves of 2021 - Healthline - February 6th, 2021
- Benefits of the CBD oil - - VENTS Magazine - February 6th, 2021