Thou canst not touch the freedom of my mind, wrote the playwright John Milton in 1634. But, nearly 400 years later, technological advances in machines that can read our thoughts mean the privacy of our brain is under threat. Will your computer delete your thoughts without your knowledge or permission? Experts warn the public about the possibility of this happening sooner than we think.
The Independent reports that two biomedical ethicists are calling for the creation of new human rights laws to ensure people are protected, including the right to cognitive liberty and the right to mental integrity. Pretty alarming news considering that the legal system is still trying to figure out how to protect something as basic as religious freedom. Science is expanding at a speed that surpasses understanding and scientists have already developed devices capable of telling whether people are politically right-wing or left-wing. In one experiment, researchers were able to read peoples minds to tell with 70 per cent accuracy whether they planned to add or subtract two numbers.
Facebook alsorecently revealed it had been secretly working on technology toread peoples minds so they could type by just thinking.And medical researchers have managed to connect part ofa paralyzed mans brain to a computerto allow him to stimulate muscles in his arm so he could move it and feed himself.
The ethicists, writing ina paper in the journalLife Sciences, Society and Policy, stressed the unprecedented opportunities that would result from the ubiquitous distribution of cheaper, scalable and easy-to-use neuro-applications that would make neurotechnology intricately embedded in our everyday life.
However, such devices are open to abuseon a frightening degree, as the academics made clear. They warned that malicious brain-hacking and hazardous uses of medical neurotechnology could require a redefinition of the idea of mental integrity.
We suggest that in response to emerging neurotechnology possibilities, the right to mental integrity should not exclusively guarantee protection from mental illness or traumatic injury but also from unauthorized intrusions into a persons mental wellbeing performed through the use of neurotechnology, especially if such intrusions result in physical or mental harm to the neurotechnology user, the ethicists wrote.
The right to mental privacy is a neuro-specific privacy right which protects private or sensitive information in a persons mind from unauthorized collection, storage, use, or even deletion in digital form or otherwise.
And they warned that the techniques were so sophisticated that peoples minds might be being read or interfered with without their knowledge.
Illicit intrusions into a persons mental privacy may not necessarily involve coercion, as they could be performed under the threshold of a persons conscious experience, they wrote in the paper.
The same goes for actions involving harm to a persons mental life or unauthorized modifications of a persons psychological continuity, which are also facilitated by the ability of emerging neurotechnologies to intervene into a persons neural processing in absence of the persons awareness.
They proposed four new human rights laws: the right to cognitive liberty, the right to mental privacy, the right to mental integrity and the right to psychological continuity.
Professor Roberto Andorno, an academic at Zurich Universitys law school and a co-author of the paper, put out a serious warning:
We need to be prepared to deal with the impact these technologies will have on our personal freedom.
The Independent copy / TRUNEWS summary.
Please contact TRUNEWS with any news tips related to this story. Email: Info@trunews.com
We believe Christians need and deserve their own global news network to keep the worldwide Church informed, and to offer Christians a positive alternative to the anti-Christian bigotry of the mainstream news media
See the rest here:
- Neurotechnology Market Poised to Grow at a Healthy CAGR of XX% During the Forecast Period 2017 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 21st, 2020
- Fingerprint Biometrics In The VAR Market 2020 by Innovations, New Technology And Research- Fulcrum Biometrics, Neurotechnology, 360 Biometrics,... - July 21st, 2020
- NASA warns of a massive asteroid bigger than the famous London Eye approaching Earth on July 24 - Business Insider India - July 21st, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market 2025: Research By Top Manufacturers with Market Size,Market Growth, Competitive Regions with Opportunities in Industry -... - July 21st, 2020
- Global and Country Specific Neural Control Market Report 2020 Forecast, Opportunities and Strategies To 2027: COVID 19 Impact and Recovery Top Key... - July 21st, 2020
- Neurosurgery Market Growth, Analysis, Regions and Type by 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 21st, 2020
- The FINANCIAL - Neuralink chip will stream music into your brain - The FINANCIAL - July 21st, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market 2020 Size By Product Types, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Growth Potential, Price Trends And Forecast To 2025 - Cole of Duty - July 21st, 2020
- MOBILE BIOMETRICS MARKET TRENDS, TECHNOLOGY AND FORECAST | BY TOP COMPANIES APPLE INC.; IDEMIA; NUANCE COMMUNICATIONS Cole of Duty - Cole of Duty - July 8th, 2020
- Image Recognition Market Potential Growth, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts - Apsters News - July 8th, 2020
- Global Neurotechnology Market to Witness Rapid Development During the Period 2017 2025 - Jewish Life News - July 5th, 2020
- Fingerprint Biometrics in VAR Market Overview With Detailed Analysis, Competitive Landscape, Forecast to 2026|Delaney Secure, Neurotechnology, 360... - July 5th, 2020
- Neurotechnology Market by Technology, Solutions, Application, Price, Demand Ana - News by aeresearch - July 5th, 2020
- Technological Advancements in Automatic Speech Recognition Software Market to boost Revenues Through COVID-19 Crisis Phase and Forecast to 2029 - NJ... - July 5th, 2020
- Face Recognition Market IN COVID-19: IMPLICATIONS AND BUSINESS OPPORTUNITIES FOR GROWTH GLOBALLY - 3rd Watch News - July 5th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Neurotechnology Market Research Report, Growth Trends and Competitive Analysis 2020-2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 1st, 2020
- Neuroverse BrainStation System Featured as the Brain-based Sleep Monitoring Solution in a YouTube Originals Series to Promote Sleep Awareness -... - June 1st, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market Analysis 2019-2025 Emerging Trends, Growth Drivers, Challengers, Services, Competitive Landscape and Regional Outlook &... - June 1st, 2020
- Facial Recognition System Market Drivers is Responsible to for Increasing Market Share, Forecast 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 1st, 2020
- VTB Bank to launch research centre in Russia with Skolkovo Foundation - Verdict - May 27th, 2020
- Neurotechnology tops FVC-onGoing biometric test results with fingerprint recognition tech - Biometric Update - May 23rd, 2020
- Global Neurotechnology Market SHARE, SIZE 2020| EMERGING RAPIDLY WITH LATEST TRENDS, GROWTH, REVENUE, DEMAND AND FORECAST TO 2026 Cole Reports - Cole... - May 23rd, 2020
- Will Elon Musk's Neuralink Shape the Future of Humanity? - Oxford Student - May 23rd, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market Global Future Investment Initiatives, Growing with Technology Development, New Innovations, Competitive Analysis and... - May 23rd, 2020
- Smell cameras built to detect explosives on planes - The Nation - May 11th, 2020
- Elon Musk Really Is A Huge Gearhead (These Facts Prove It) - TheThings - May 11th, 2020
- Airbus working on sensors that can detect coronavirus - International Business Times, Singapore Edition - May 11th, 2020
- Fingerprint Biometrics In The VAR Market Analysis, Size, Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2025 - Herald Writeup - May 11th, 2020
- Navigating the New Normal With COVID-19: 12 Essential Actions Executives Need To Take Right Now - OPEN MINDS - April 18th, 2020
- Discover How to Easily Teach Neuroscience to Your Kids - Thrive Global - April 18th, 2020
- CHIME: How Yale's Engineers and Doctors are Innovating to Combat COVID-19 - Yale News - April 18th, 2020
- The Coronavirus is Driving the 1st World Headlong into The Fourth Industrial Revolution - Live Trading News - April 18th, 2020
- The Global Face Recognition Market is expected to grow from USD 3,546.56 Million in 2019 to USD 9,992.35 Million by the end of 2025 at a Compound... - April 18th, 2020
- Neurotechnology Market Forecast with Top Companies, Growth Factors, Classification, Regional Analysis, Development Factors and Bedding Fabrics... - March 31st, 2020
- MOBILE BIOMETRICS MARKET TRENDS, TECHNOLOGY AND FORECAST | BY TOP COMPANIES APPLE INC.; IDEMIA; NUANCE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.; NEC CORPORATION - Skyline... - March 31st, 2020
- Face Recognition Market Discover How Increased Adoption of Among Developing Economies Offers A Major Opportunity in Industry - Skyline Gazette - March 31st, 2020
- Stryker to participate in Cowen 40th Annual Health Care Conference - Yahoo Finance - February 26th, 2020
- Non-fiction reviews: One Blade of Grass and three other titles - The Sydney Morning Herald - February 14th, 2020
- Elon Musk promises to have the Neuralink brain chip in a human this year - Inceptive Mind - February 9th, 2020
- CES 2020: The symbiosis of human and machine - The Drum - January 29th, 2020
- Stryker (SYK) to Report Q4 Earnings: What's in the Cards? - Yahoo Finance - January 29th, 2020
- United States Air Force Plans to "Aim High" Leveraging the Science of Neuroplasticity - Yahoo Finance - January 26th, 2020
- MarketsandMarkets forecasts the global facial recognition market size to grow from USD 3.2 billion in 2019 to USD 7.0 billion by 2024, at a CAGR of... - January 26th, 2020
- Wearable technology drives Phoenix to be leader in innovation - AZ Big Media - January 26th, 2020
- Eli Lilly's Acquisition Strategy, And Other News: The Good, Bad And Ugly Of Biopharma - Seeking Alpha - January 26th, 2020
- Neurotechnology Market Trends, Key Players, Overview, Competitive Breakdown and Regional Forecast by 2025 - Filmi Baba - December 26th, 2019
- designboom 2020 TECH PREDICTIONS: cyborgs and brainjacking - Designboom - December 26th, 2019
- Neurotechnology firm partners two care facilities with eye movement platform - Med-Tech Innovation - December 13th, 2019
- SyncThinks eye-tracking helps monitor brain health and concussion risk - VentureBeat - December 12th, 2019
- These were the 15 best CEOs of 2019 - Business Insider - December 12th, 2019
- Worldwide Facial Recognition Market Latest Research By Business Expansion Plans, Industry Demand Status & Forecast 2028 - Tech News Today - December 12th, 2019
- Neurotechnology Market Report 2019 | Industry Size, Share, Trend And Forecast Is A Professional And In-Depth Study By 2026 - Alpha News Report - December 6th, 2019
- Trying to read the 'mind of a group' shapes our decisions online - Futurity: Research News - December 6th, 2019
- Global Facial Recognition Market Top Key Players, Regions and Application Outlook Upto 2019 to 2028 - Industry Planning - December 6th, 2019
- Neurotechnology startup NextMind unveils world's first brain-sensing wearable that delivers real-time device control with just your thoughts -... - November 23rd, 2019
- NextMind Unveils World's First Brain-Sensing Wearable That Delivers Real-Time Device Control With Just Your Thoughts - Business Wire - November 23rd, 2019
- Neurotechnology and the Future of Hope - Robotics Tomorrow (press release) - August 25th, 2017
- Canaccord Genuity Keeps Rating And Raises Price Target On Stryker Corporation (SYK) - Modern Readers - August 25th, 2017
- Technology Key to Fighting Neurological Disease - R & D Magazine - August 25th, 2017
- Could this back-pain device end need for opioids? - The Columbus Dispatch - August 20th, 2017
- In the Future, Humans Will Use Brain to Brain Communication and Download Their Memories If Elon Musk Has His Way - Newsweek - August 14th, 2017
- Open-source Morpheo Platform to Use Artificial Intelligence to Help Diagnose Sleep Disorders - Sleep Review - August 8th, 2017
- Stryker Exceeded Analysts' Sales Estimates in 2Q17 - Market Realist - August 2nd, 2017
- Elon Musk talks of his life's 'highs' and 'lows' in a few painfully honest tweets - Mashable - July 31st, 2017
- Team Neurotechnology Innovations Translator - July 30th, 2017
- Stryker Corporation (NYSE:SYK) and Uroplasty (UPI) Financial Survey - Stock Observer - July 29th, 2017
- Tufts Hosts Engineering Conference - Tufts Now - July 28th, 2017
- Stryker reports 6.1% Q2 growth, installs 26 Mako systems: 7 things ... - Becker's Orthopedic & Spine - July 28th, 2017
- Arshya Vahabzadeh: Innovating at the Intersection of Brain, Behavior, and Technology - HuffPost - July 27th, 2017
- Capstone Asset Management Company Has Boosted By $555078 Its Raytheon Co (RTN) Holding, Stryker (SYK)'s ... - Herald KS - July 26th, 2017
- Trivascular Technologies (TRIV) & Stryker Corporation (SYK) Critical Review - Stock Observer - July 26th, 2017
- fMRI, EEG Tests May Detect Consciousness in Severe TBI Patients - PsychCentral.com - July 24th, 2017
- BRAIN center gathers to ponder future, direction - Arizona State University - July 20th, 2017
- Preserving the Right to Cognitive Liberty - Scientific American - July 19th, 2017
- Comparing Uroplasty (UPI) and Stryker Corporation (NYSE:SYK) - The Cerbat Gem - July 18th, 2017
- Insider Activity Stryker Corporation (NYSE:SYK) - Highlight Press - July 15th, 2017
- Neurotechnology: 5 braincomputer interface innovations - Red Bull - Red Bull - July 12th, 2017
- DARPA invests further in neurotechnology - SD Times - SDTimes.com - July 11th, 2017
- Infinitely Flexible 3D Printing with Ultrasonic Manipulation? - ENGINEERING.com - July 11th, 2017
- HIRREM Neurotechnology Better Than Placebo for Insomnia - Sleep Review - July 10th, 2017