For years the Bitcoin industry has been hoping the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commissionwould approve an ETF, which would theoretically allow an easy onramp for a lot more money to flow into the coin. So far though, applicants have been disappointed, despite approvals for similar products in other countries. But with institutional adoption on the rise, could 2021 finally be the year? Bloomberg IntelligenceETF Analyst Eric Balchunas says hes more optimistic than hes ever been. In this Q&A he explains why, and breaks down the landscape.
Joe Weisenthal:So Eric. A Bitcoin ETF is something the community has hoped to see for a long time now. And nobody knows ETFs as well as you. It really feels like the entire industry has been monitoring your work for clues or signs about whether its coming. How has that focus been from your perspective?
Eric Balchunas:It is one of those things that no one really knows, unless you are inside the SEC. But we have been pretty obsessed with this story since the Winklevoss Twins filed for the first one in 2013, so we have been trying to give our takes in real-time and track every little stage. And I will say it does feel like theres been a shift this year. We are more optimistic of an approval than weve ever been.
Joe:Whats changed your thinking? Why does it feel like 2021 is different than, say, 2017 or 2018, the last time there was a lot of hype?
Eric:First is the institutional adoption of crypto is much greater, the money centers are getting involved. Second, you have the intense growth of defaultcrypto products like GBTC which are not ideal for retail investors and the SEC knows this. Finally, theres been a torrent of launches up in Canada which have worked fine and seen a lot of action. Canada has a history of being like six months to a year ahead of the U.S. Last but not least, [Gary] Gensler coming in as chair. He gets crypto, taught classes at MIT on it, albeit he does have some concerns.
Joe:Speaking of Canada, youve posted a lot about what a smashing success those initial launches have been. Can you give some perspective on how much demand there is for those products?
Eric:Some of the stats are insane. First off, Canada crypto ETFs already have $2.3 billion in assets in threemonths. And Canadas market is 1/27th the size of the U.S.so that would be like $60 billionhere! Also, they have taken over the most traded leaderboard up in Canada. There are typically three to four crypto ETFs in the Top 20. Finally, the Ether ETFs that were launched recently have actually seen volume grow (rare for new ETF launch) indicating wide interest. All that action and they have very moderate premiums to NAV too (which is the problem with the OTC trusts like GBTC)
Joe: In the U.S. obviously theres been a bunch of other stuff for regulators to think about. We had the whole GameStop/Robinhood story. There's concern over SPACs and the accounting treatment of them. The talk about Bitcoin's energy impact is growing. And now we have this ransomware attack on the gasoline pipeline. Could regulators decide there's just too much other stuff to deal with right now?
Eric: Totally. Bigger fish to fry for an incoming chair is a huge variable and could delay approval. Gensler also noted that: We dont have a Federal regime overseeing the crypto exchanges and seems to not be totally comfortable with the exchanges yet. All that said, I do think time is now of the essence on this issue due to the increased flows going to these defaultETFs like GBTC and stocks that put Bitcoin on-balance sheet. The more they wait the more it will get messy when they approve given all the cash in these other vehicles. Also the longer they delay the more they will effectively play kingmaker as whoever is out first is instantly wealthy. So I think there's a risk of waiting too long and I think they understand that.
Joe: Interesting. So you mentioned that Gensler gets crypto. What does that mean exactly? Whats his backstory with it for people who are unfamiliar?
Eric: He taught a Blockchain Technologies & Cryptocurrencies class at MIT. We pored over the transcript of the class and he knows his stuff, arguably more than most Bitcoin investors. He even went Full Crypto a few times, calling fiat a social constructbut on the flipside, he was also pretty clear that he thought the crypto markets were ripe with scams and frauds.The transcript was a good insight into his brain on this topic. Here's a link in case anyone interested.
Joe: So presumably theres a huge pot of money to be made for whichever applicant becomes the GLD of Bitcoin (if that analogy makes sense). There are numerous players who want in. Presuming the SEC is eventually open to approving a Bitcoin ETF, how will it judge the various contenders? Or will they all be allowed to go, if and when, the green light is turned on?
Eric: This is the most fascinating part of the story right now. Because whoever gets out first is set for life. In Canada, one issuer had just a one-day head start and ended up getting almost all the volume going forward. We think what they will do is let two to three launch on day one likely an established ETF issuer like VanEck or WisdomTree or maybe Fidelity versus say a newbie. Then theyll line the rest of up like airplanes on a runway and let them launch over the next few weeks. Again, thats just our guess. That is what would make sense for us rather than letting one lucky issuer go first or on letting more than 10 launch on same day, which could create chaos.
Joe: But are there differences in the applications that the SEC would consider?Or are they all kind of the same?
Eric: There are some slight difference but largely they are all the same (which is to say like GLD but for Bitcoin) and the SEC will likely work with them ahead of time to iron out any deal breaker type differences or missing details. That said, VanEck filed for an Ether ETF too and we think that would likely go after the Bitcoin ones.
Joe: Got it. Just two more questions, and then Ill let you go. This isnt an ETF question per se, but you mentioned crypto exchange regulation as something Gensler expressed some dissatisfaction about. It still feels like that space operates in a looser manner than the traditional finance realm with, say, their promotion of specific coins in their advertising. Do you have any sense what the SEC might like to see on the exchange front?
Eric: Weve seen quotes from Gensler recently that he sees some of these tokens and cryptocurrencies as securities and hes interested in cleaning that up since securities fall under the SECs purview. He will likely also look for any fraud or potential for fraud. In terms of the promotion stuff we havent seenanything directly on that but the way the SEC responds to Robinhood could give us some insight into that aspect. All that said, Canada and Europe crypto ETPs are all using these same exchanges for years and there havent been any major issues and premiums/discounts to NAV have been minimal, indicating market makers are able to adequately arbitrage the ETFs and the underlying cryptos. Weve also spoken to market makers and they aren't that worried about it. But Genslers view is the one that matters.
Joe: Got it. Appreciate your taking the time here. Last question, not crypto-related per se, but what else in the ETF world should people be watching right now?
Eric: One thing that is new and developing and is likely going to be bigger than many think is active mutual funds converting into ETFs. We saw the first one ever happen a month ago and therevebeen a couple since and some bigger fish like DFA have some in the works. This will be fascinating to watch since mutual funds have about $18 trillion in assets in the U.S. Some of that will convert. Some wont. How much of it does is the question though.
Joe: Awesome! This was great. Really appreciate your taking the time
For more on this topic, you can check out our Odd Lots episode Inside the Multi-Year Quest to Create a Bitcoin ETF with Greg King, CEO of Rex Shares,from 2018. You can also follow Eric Balchunas on Twitter here.
Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal.
- Bitcoin Fork Suffers Massive 51% Attack In Attempt To Destroy The Cryptocurrency, Sending Its Price Sharply Lower - Forbes - August 4th, 2021
- What if bitcoin went to zero? - The Economist - August 4th, 2021
- 'Green Bitcoin Mining': The Big Profits In Clean Crypto - Forbes - August 4th, 2021
- Where Are Bitcoin Prices Headed After Their Latest Pullback? - Forbes - August 4th, 2021
- Why Ethereum Could Surpass Bitcoin In The Near Future - Crunchbase News - August 4th, 2021
- The IRS has seized $1.2 billion worth of cryptocurrency this fiscal year here's what happens to it - CNBC - August 4th, 2021
- Crypto Provision In Infrastructure Bill May Force Bitcoin Miners And Blockchain Companies To Flee U.S. - Forbes - August 4th, 2021
- Bitcoins Rally to $90K+ Took a Detour but Appears Back on Track - Yahoo Finance - August 4th, 2021
- Bitcoin price hovers around $38600 in early Tuesday trading - Fox Business - August 4th, 2021
- Celsius CEO still sees Bitcoin finishing the year between $140-160K - Yahoo Finance - August 4th, 2021
- China's attempt to kill Bitcoin failed Here are 3 reasons why - Cointelegraph - August 4th, 2021
- Panic spreading as bitcoin price goes up and down - NEWS.com.au - August 4th, 2021
- Bitcoin is a must have in your portfolio: Expert - Yahoo Finance - August 4th, 2021
- Not only free pizzas, Indias Olympic medal winners to get free Bitcoins too - Economic Times - August 4th, 2021
- Panic Is Suddenly Spreading Among Bitcoin, Ethereum, BNB, XRP And Dogecoin Traders Even As The Market Soars Toward A $1.7 Trillion Price - Forbes - August 2nd, 2021
- Out of control and rising: why bitcoin has Nigerias government in a panic - The Guardian - August 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin price surges toward $40,000 --- Here are 4 reasons - MarketWatch - August 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin leaps 12% to test recent peaks, ether hits 3-week high - Reuters - August 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin-based scams mean the federal government now needs a crypto bank - Vox.com - August 2nd, 2021
- Analysts Discuss Bitcoin Over-the-Counter Desks Bubbling With BTC Demand Markets and Prices Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - August 2nd, 2021
- Price Forecast for Bitcoin and 2 Altcoins, From Crypto Research Head - Business Insider - Business Insider - August 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin price touches $40,000 - Fox Business - August 2nd, 2021
- How Bitcoin Solves The Store Of Value Problem - Bitcoin Magazine - August 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin, Ethereum, Tether: A Look at Top Cryptocurrencies and Their Worth - Gadgets 360 - August 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin Hits Key Level Not Seen Since May Amid Wood, Musk Boost - Bloomberg - July 25th, 2021
- Bitcoin: Where do We Stand In Summer 2021? - Forbes - July 25th, 2021
- Havent Checked On That Bitcoin Account In A While? Your State Could Have It Liquidated - Forbes - July 25th, 2021
- Ethereum, the No. 2 behind bitcoin, fights off challengers that offer cheaper and faster blockchains - MarketWatch - July 25th, 2021
- Bitcoin Trading Strategy As The Cryptocurrency Moves Above 50-Day Simple Moving Average In Recovery Mode - Forbes - July 25th, 2021
- British fintech boss sounds the alarm about 'dangers' of bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies - CNBC - July 25th, 2021
- Bitcoin price slides amid EU call to make transfers traceable, and rise of stablecoins - The Guardian - July 25th, 2021
- This classic trading pattern signaled that Bitcoin price had hit a top - Cointelegraph - July 25th, 2021
- Factors To Take Into Consideration For Choosing The Suitable Bitcoin Wallet! - State-Journal.com - July 25th, 2021
- 3 reasons why traders think Bitcoin price bottomed at $29,500 - Cointelegraph - July 25th, 2021
- Bitcoin (BTC USD) Cryptocurrency Price Chart May Show $30,000 as Floor - Bloomberg - July 18th, 2021
- How to Dip a Toe Into Bitcoin - The Wall Street Journal - July 18th, 2021
- More than half of experts in a recent crypto survey said bitcoin will replace fiat currency by 2050 - Markets Insider - July 18th, 2021
- It's very dangerous to invest in stocks and bitcoin right now, long-time bear David Tice warns - CNBC - July 18th, 2021
- Draper says Bitcoin is Stronger than Fiat Abroad; Serves as a Hedge for Inflation in the U.S. - Yahoo Finance - July 18th, 2021
- Bitcoin rises as ways to avoid taxes emerge - Fox Business - July 18th, 2021
- Kelly Evans: Where will Bitcoin strike next? - CNBC - July 18th, 2021
- Bitcoin DeFi is on the rise as Jack Dorsey's Square muscles into territory long held by ethereum - Markets Insider - July 18th, 2021
- Bitcoin Falls To $32,500 As Inflation Hits A 13-Year High - Forbes - July 14th, 2021
- Bitcoin's Range Play Likely to End With Bullish Breakout: Analyst - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - July 14th, 2021
- Jack Dorsey confirms Square's bitcoin wallet and TikTok bans crypto promotions: 5 things that happened in crypto this past week - CNBC - July 14th, 2021
- Top cryptocurrency prices today: Bitcoin tanks 8%, Ethereum follows with 21% plunge - Economic Times - July 14th, 2021
- Renewed Hope: How Bitcoin And Green Energy Can Save Ethiopias Economy - Forbes - July 14th, 2021
- How China and India are helping shape the future of CBDCs and Bitcoin - Business Insider - July 14th, 2021
- Are Bitcoin Prices Getting Ready To Break Free Of Their Current Malaise? - Forbes - July 10th, 2021
- Are Institutional Investors Undervaluing The Taproot Upgrade To Bitcoin? - Forbes - July 10th, 2021
- Currency and control: why China wants to undermine bitcoin - The Guardian - July 10th, 2021
- Bitcoin's Weakness Is Dragging Down Square Stock. It Might Be Time to Buy. - Barron's - July 10th, 2021
- Bitcoin Price Prediction A Move Back Through to $34,000 Would Bring $35,000 into Play - Yahoo Finance - July 10th, 2021
- Lawmaker in Paraguay says he will introduce bitcoin regulation law next week - The Block Crypto - July 10th, 2021
- Top cryptocurrency news on July 10: Major stories on Bitcoin, Binance and NFTs - Moneycontrol.com - July 10th, 2021
- Bitcoin, ether, dogecoin cracked nearly 10% today. Here is why - Mint - July 10th, 2021
- Bitcoin needs a 'new type of institutional investor' to bring price back up - Yahoo Finance - July 10th, 2021
- 123-Year-Old Hydroelectric Plant Sees New Life Mining Bitcoin Revenue 3x Higher Than Selling to the Grid Mining Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - July 10th, 2021
- Guidelines That Will Assist You In Picking The Flawless Bitcoin Trading Platform! - Santa Clarita Valley Signal - July 10th, 2021
- Why El Salvador Is Giving Every Citizen $30 in Bitcoin ... - July 7th, 2021
- Bitcoins Mid-$30,000 Struggle And $2.87 Billion Crypto Whale Spike - Forbes - July 7th, 2021
- This Is The Key Level To Reignite The Bitcoin Rally - Forbes - July 7th, 2021
- Bitcoin price above $34,000 as places accepting cryptocurrency rises - Fox Business - July 7th, 2021
- Bitcoin prices have crashed, but CoinBase stock may still double: analyst - Yahoo Finance - July 7th, 2021
- Don't be surprised if ether takes over bitcoin as the dominant digital store of value, Goldman Sachs says - Markets Insider - July 7th, 2021
- Bitcoin.org Hit With DDoS Attack, Bitcoin Demanded as Ransom - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - July 7th, 2021
- Bitcoin set for weekly fall as price dips to end the week - Yahoo Finance - July 7th, 2021
- Spartan Mosquito Accepts Bitcoin and Other Cryptocurrencies From Countries Worldwide - Yahoo Finance - July 7th, 2021
- We Just Ripped The Pin Out Of The GrenadeRadical New Bitcoin Company Issues Stark Coinbase Price Warning - Forbes - July 5th, 2021
- Ransomware Is the IRS of Bitcoin - The Wall Street Journal - July 5th, 2021
- Bitcoin had a wildly volatile first half. Here are 5 of the biggest risks ahead - CNBC - July 5th, 2021
- The SEC should have approved a bitcoin ETF a long time ago, regulator Peirce says - CNBC - July 5th, 2021
- Bitcoin's Regulatory Future Is Darkening. Wall Street Still Likes the Business. - Barron's - July 5th, 2021
- Boom, bust and bewildered: Bitcoin's year so far - Reuters - July 5th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Prices Today on July 4: Bitcoin up, Ethereum sees biggest jump at 2.35% - Moneycontrol.com - July 5th, 2021
- Marathon Digital Reports 17% Increase in Bitcoin Production for June - Yahoo Finance - July 5th, 2021
- What to know about investing in bitcoin trusts - CNBC - July 5th, 2021
- Here's What Bill Gates Has to Say About Bitcoin - The Motley Fool - July 5th, 2021
- JPMorgan Predicts When Bitcoin Bear Market Will Be Over Markets and Prices Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - July 5th, 2021
- Tom Brady admits his 'laser eyes' didn't work on the bitcoin trade - CNBC - June 28th, 2021