The space tourism company Virgin Galactic Holdings(NYSE:SPCE) is slated to report its first-quarter earnings after the market closes on May 5. During the companys earnings conference call, its management will review its first-quarter earnings and discuss its expectations for the remainder of the year.
Source: Tun Pichitanon / Shutterstock.com
SPCE stock has been on a bit of a bumpy ride over the past few months. After hitting a 52-week high in mid-February, the stock has bounced up and down ever since. Its interesting to see that the stock tends to rise as the market dips and then dip as the market rises.
Virgin Galactic is very different from other publicly traded companies. It is developing a commercial spaceflight system, but that takes a lot of time, and the company still has very low sales and very few customers.
Nonetheless, many investors are enthusiastic about SPCE stock, and its analysts are moderately upbeat about it. But the ongoing coronavirus pandemic has caused problems for many companies, including Virgin Galactic Holdings.
Many people were expecting that this would be the year that Virgin Galactic finally launches its first commercial space flight. As of February, more than 600 people had reserved a seat on the companys SpaceShipTwo aircraft.
The company announced it would begin selecting candidates for space flights soon. The flights are expected to cost a pricey $250,000 per person.
Launching its first commercial space flight would have been a huge step forward for Virgin Galactic, but these plans will likely be on hold for the foreseeable future. The travel industry as a whole is struggling, and its unclear when well even be able to travel by airplane again, much less go into space.
But its not just climbing aboard Virgin Galactics six-passenger aircraft thats the problem. Before passengers can take a commercial space flight, they need to receive training, get fitted for a flight suit, and receive a thorough medical evaluation.
All of that involves travel and a lot of in-person contact, which is not possible when so many states are implementing mandatory stay-at-home orders.
The commercial space flight probably wont happen in 2020, but that doesnt mean all hope is lost for SPCE stock investors.
In spite of the coronavirus setback, Virgin Galactic does have potential going forward. Commercial space travel likely will become a reality within the next couple of years, and SPCE stock has the advantage of being the first publicly traded space tourism company.
The company still has healthy cash flow and is well-positioned to overcome these temporary setbacks. That makes Virgin Galactic Holdings a good long-term investment
Jamie Johnson is a personal finance freelance writer and has been writing for InvestorPlace since mid-2019. She writes for a number of other well-known financial sites, including Credit Karma, Quicken Loans and Bankrate. As of this writing, Jamie Johnson did not hold a position in any of the aforementioned securities.
See the rest here:
- Space travel is giving the future of cryptocurrency a boost for one surprising reason - Express.co.uk - June 30th, 2020
- How will private space travel change the way we explore the Solar System? - BBC Focus Magazine - June 30th, 2020
- 5 Public Space Companies to Invest in Over the Next Decade - seattlepi.com - June 30th, 2020
- New Houston-made satellites to mimic versatility of the chameleon in space - Houston Chronicle - June 30th, 2020
- Relativity and 6K Partner to Develop AM Rocket Parts for Space Made from Sustainable Materials - PR Newswire UK - June 30th, 2020
- SpaceX news: EU to boost their space exploration to keep up with China and US - Express.co.uk - June 30th, 2020
- Virgin Galactic aims to evolve $15 billion business from space tourism - Business Insider - June 30th, 2020
- Resolution approved to urge feds to locate Space Command headquarters in Ohio - MahoningMatters.com - June 30th, 2020
- At Least 110 People Needed to Start Life on Mars, Space Expert Says - Yahoo News - June 30th, 2020
- Why go 'horse and buggy' to Mars when we could go supersonic? | TheHill - The Hill - June 30th, 2020
- Recapping the Historic First Half of 2020 - Morning Brew - June 30th, 2020
- SpaceX gearing up for another launch of Starlink broadband satellites this week - Spaceflight Now - June 30th, 2020
- Boeing tests Starliner parachutes ahead of second test flight - Digital Trends - June 30th, 2020
- 5 Best Films About Space Exploration (& 5 The Worst), Ranked According To IMDb - Screen Rant - June 30th, 2020
- First UK night out of lockdown camping in Northern Ireland - The Guardian - June 30th, 2020
- The story of Ed Dwight: the man who nearly became the first African-American to reach space - The Next Web - June 30th, 2020
- Senate approves resolution urging feds to locate Space Command headquarters in Ohio - The Center Square - June 30th, 2020
- New company Space Perspective wants to take you to the stratosphere via high-altitude balloon - The Verge - June 21st, 2020
- spaceship neptune is a balloon that will take you to the edge of space - Designboom - June 21st, 2020
- The end of food? 'Taste synthesizer' will transform space travel, dieting and sex - Daily Star - June 21st, 2020
- SpaceX to build floating space ports for rockets destined for the Moon and Mars, and for hypersonic travel to Earth - Up News Info - June 21st, 2020
- What's the science on the Emirates Mars Mission? - DW (English) - June 21st, 2020
- STREAMING WARS: Netflixs big-budget comedy Space Force has all the right ingredients, but fails to deliver the laughs - SaltWire Network - June 21st, 2020
- Coronavirus: Travel to Spain, and the 'second wave' - BBC News - June 21st, 2020
- Is this double-decker seat the future of airplane travel? - CNN - June 21st, 2020
- Safe vacations and traveling during coronavirus: Advice to follow - TODAY - June 21st, 2020
- The Internets Most Censored Space - The New York Times - June 21st, 2020
- Virgin Galactic Stock Is Only for Astronauts and Speculators - InvestorPlace - June 21st, 2020
- Best Solar Eclipse Photos And YouTube Videos Of The Solstice Ring Of Fire From Around The World - Forbes - June 21st, 2020
- The amazon bond offering - Nairametrics - June 21st, 2020
- Satellites, outer space travel to be open for private companies in India: Govt - Livemint - June 13th, 2020
- Former astronaut becomes first person to visit both space and the deepest place in the ocean - CNN - June 13th, 2020
- Guest View: Despite space flight, there is no Planet B - The Register-Guard - June 13th, 2020
- Ask Ethan: How Does The Fabric Of Spacetime Expand Faster Than The Speed Of Light? - Forbes - June 13th, 2020
- Poem of the week: Sermon (for the Burial of Cassini) by Ella Frears - Telegraph.co.uk - June 13th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Space Tourism Market to Garner Astounding CAGR of 16.6% by 2025 Including Top Key Players- Space Adventures, EADS Astrium,... - June 13th, 2020
- Letters to the Editor: June 12, 2020 - West Hawaii Today - June 13th, 2020
- Have Scientists Found a Hybernation 'Button' for Humans? - The National Interest - June 13th, 2020
- Is It Risky To Ride In A Convertible? Go To A Casino? Travel With Kids? : Goats and Soda - NPR - June 13th, 2020
- Astronomer on why he is a 'frustrated martian', his love of the night sky and what the future holds for space travel - Times & Star - June 13th, 2020
- From Breakfast at Tiffanys to To Kill A Mockingbird, the best and worst examples of diversity in film - Evening Standard - June 13th, 2020
- What Space Travel Will Look Like in the Future - Earthly ... - June 9th, 2020
- WRITE TEAM: Space travel is back to once again give us faraway dreams - MyWebTimes.com - June 9th, 2020
- Former NASA astronaut Kathy Sullivan becomes first person to travel to space and ocean's deepest point - ABC News - June 9th, 2020
- Netflixs Space Force Just Exposed Animal Cruelty In Space Travel - LIVEKINDLY - June 9th, 2020
- You Can Now Tour the International Space Station From the Comfort of Your Home - Robb Report - June 9th, 2020
- This is the 'most ridiculously overvalued' trade in the travel space, strategist warns - CNBC - June 9th, 2020
- Evolution of 3rd, 4th and 5th Dimensions of Travel - Use Cases, Infrastructure Required, Application Areas, and Growth Opportunities -... - June 9th, 2020
- The Dangers of Space, Military Rivals and Other New Books to Read - Smithsonian.com - June 9th, 2020
- Here's how astronauts exercise in space without gravity - Yahoo Lifestyle - June 9th, 2020
- A group of enthusiasts has annotated the assembly code for the Apollo 11 mission to the Moon - Neowin - June 9th, 2020
- Faster-than-light travel: Is warp drive really possible? - BBC Focus Magazine - June 9th, 2020
- America Once Planned To Send An Apollo Spacecraft To A Soviet Space Station - Jalopnik - June 9th, 2020
- Trend report: nothing 'normal' about travel in the age of Covid-19 - Globetrender - June 9th, 2020
- Astronomer on why he is a 'frustrated martian', his love of the night sky and what the future holds for space travel - The Westmorland Gazette - June 9th, 2020
- Future Meeting Space explores customer needs and expectations on new event formats - Travel Daily News International - June 9th, 2020
- News: New Rotherham active travel projects - Rotherham Business News - June 9th, 2020
- Spain to extend restrictions on international travelers until June 15 - EL PAS in English - May 15th, 2020
- The 100 Series Finale Trailer Teases Screams, Space Travel, And Drastic Haircuts - Gizmodo Australia - May 15th, 2020
- On the Road Review: Ram 2500 Limited Crew Cab Diesel - Press Herald - May 15th, 2020
- Spains reeling tourism industry objects to travel restrictions - EL PAS in English - May 15th, 2020
- Virgin Galactic Is Grounded with No Profit and Little Revenue - InvestorPlace - May 15th, 2020
- Astronaut on how to survive isolation, and the future of space travel - Business Insider - Business Insider - May 14th, 2020
- Virgin Galactic Is a Solid Long-Term Bet on Space Travel Demand - InvestorPlace - May 14th, 2020
- Meet The Women Of The San Diego Art Prize - KPBS - May 14th, 2020
- Visual Artist Melissa Walter Makes Sense Of The Stars - KPBS - May 14th, 2020
- Astronauts experimented with Nickelodeon's slime in space - CNN - May 14th, 2020
- Virgin Group to sell shares of space venture to aid travel business - UPI News - May 14th, 2020
- What to binge next: 10 sci-fi shows to escape into the future - UPI.com - May 14th, 2020
- The sky is full of weird X-shaped galaxies. Here's why. - Live Science - May 14th, 2020
- What is Jeff Bezos net worth? - The Scottish Sun - May 14th, 2020
- The 100 Series Finale Trailer Teases Screams, Space Travel, and Drastic Haircuts - Gizmodo - May 14th, 2020
- 11 Ways Space Travel Will Change in the Next Decade ... - May 4th, 2020
- The 12 Greatest Challenges for Space Exploration | WIRED - May 4th, 2020
- Interstellar travel - Wikipedia - May 4th, 2020
- NASA Astronaut Talks Surviving Isolation, Daily Life in Space, and Earth's Beauty - Esquire.com - May 4th, 2020
- Tom Cruise teaming with Elon Musk, NASA to shoot action movie in space - Yahoo News - May 4th, 2020
- Patty Crane: Book shows importance of the moon, Earth's iconic satellite - Joplin Globe - May 4th, 2020
- SpaceX to launch first crewed spacecraft to International Space Station | Forge - ForgeToday - May 4th, 2020
- Video: Astronaut teaches Dundee kids about space travel with virtual visits - Evening Telegraph - May 4th, 2020