With the massive strides in sustainable transportation made by Tesla and the continuing progress of SpaceX in its aspiring journey to colonize Mars, Elon Musk has repeatedly demonstrated remarkable ambition.
Neuralink, a neurotechnology firm co-founded by Elon in 2016, hopes to deliver on an even more grandiose pursuit. Alongside global warming and the possibility of human extinction, Musk is heavily concerned with another existential threat. The advancement of Artificial Intelligence.
In this case, the solution goes beyond addressing what humans do towards fundamentally altering what humans are.
The specific objective of Neuralink is to develop ultra-high bandwidth brain-machine interfaces to connect humans and computers. Practically, this materializes as a chip that is implanted into the brain to achieve a sort of symbiosis with artificial intelligence that can significantly preserve and enhance our brains.
While the companys current focus with the early versions of this implant is to understand and treat brain injuries and disorders, Musk believes this technology is an important step to ensuring a well-aligned future alongside Artificial Intelligence.
With [any] AI scenario, we will be left behind. With a high bandwidth, brain-machine interface, we can actually go along for the ride.
Our brains function through a large network of neurons communicating through neurotransmitters at the connection points known as synapses. These neurotransmitters are released in response to electrical spikes called action potentials. Everything that we perceive, feel, hear and think are essentially these neural spikes.
By inserting minuscule electrodes threads, Neuralink can detect and record the action potentials and selectively stimulate neurons across diverse brain areas. These threads will be applied delicately by robots to minimize damage to the brain and attached to sensors that, in their preliminary form, will be wirelessly connected via Bluetooth to a mobile app for self-sufficient usage.
Appearing on the Joe Rogan podcast on the 7th of May, Musk suggests that the first human trials for Neuralink could be carried out within a year. Elon maintains that the first few iterations of the product will be solely focused on offering patients medical treatment for a variety of brain-related injuries. From recognising and prohibiting epilepsy in real-time to fixing stroke damage and even assisting the elderly with memory retention, Neuralink hopes to make tremendous strides in improving the welfare of the human population.
Regarding the trepidation towards eventual human-AI symbiosis, Elon responds Its optional.
In truth, Musk claims, humans are already partly cyborgs. With our mass dependency on our phones and personal computers, the only difference between the current state and one with AI-symbiosis is that the data rate or communication speed between us and the electronics right now is extremely slow.
By facilitating rapid information access and augmenting intellectual capacity, the Neuralink interface could enable users with substantial productivity growth, potentially by a factor of ten. The discussion also expanded to consider the possibility that this future technology could make verbal communication obsolete, giving a prospective timeline of five to ten years.
If you think this sounds like the perfect setting for a Black Mirror dystopia, youre not alone.
Naturally, the major concern for such technology is security. Getting your phone or computer hacked may be an inconvenience, but when the technology directly influences the function of your brain, the stakes are monumental. Additionally, if and when this device enters the reach of public consumers, the affordability gap could result in an extensive upsurge in social and economic inequality due to the resulting cognitive benefits.
As per regulation, Neuralinks products will be subject to the approval of the US Food and Drug Administration. Musk believes that the development of the interface will be a slow process and promises that the transition to the later versions that will more closely resemble human-AI symbiosis will be gradual enough that you will see it coming.
Is Elon Musk being overambitious with this revolutionary mission? If we cant beat AI, is the best option to join them? Given the exponential acceleration of technology, the prospects of such a device are endless. Undeniably positioned to have a palpable impact on society, Neuralink ends up leaving us with more questions than answers on the possible trajectory of human evolution.
Image credit: Sujins
Liked reading this article? Sign up to our weekly mailing list to receive a summary of our best articles each week click here to register
Want to contribute? Join our contributors grouphereor email us clickherefor contact details
Post Views: 518
Read the rest here:
- SYK: 3 Top Healthcare Stocks for 2021: Stryker, Edwards Lifesciences, and Align - StockNews.com - December 26th, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market Size, Trends, Company Profiles, Growth Rate, Revenue, Demand And Forecast 2026 | Gemalto NV, Ayonix Face Technologies,... - December 26th, 2020
- Surging Investments Towards Innovation to Spur the Growth of the Neurotechnology Market 2017 2025 - Zenit News - November 6th, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market Report 2020 Expected to Generate New Growth Opportunities by 2026| NEC Corporation, Aware, Inc., Ayonix Corporation,... - November 6th, 2020
- Muse by Interaxon Appoints Walter Greenleaf as Chief Science Officer - Business Wire - November 6th, 2020
- Lexus Partners With TED To Contemplate The Future Of Automated Vehicles - HotCars - November 6th, 2020
- Image Recognition Market Analysis With Key Players, Applications, Trends And Forecasts 2026 Qualcomm Technologies, Inc., Nec Corporation, Google.,... - November 6th, 2020
- Stryker investigating incident which led to Limerick employee going to hospital - Limerick Post - November 6th, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market 2020 Trends, Manufacturing Size, Growth Analysis by Share, Top Regions, Driving Factors of Manufacturers, Types and... - November 6th, 2020
- Facial Recognition Technology Market 2020 Trends Analysis and Coronavirus (COVID-19) Effect Analysis | KEY PLAYERS MARKET WITH COVID-19 Impact... - November 6th, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market Trend, COVID-19 Impact, Current Industry Figures With Demand By Countries And Future Growth 2026 - TechnoWeekly - November 6th, 2020
- Reduction in Insomnia Symptoms Associated with Non-invasive Neurotechnology - Newswise - September 19th, 2020
- Your thoughts can be displayed on this cyborg garment - ZDNet - September 19th, 2020
- Facial RecognitionMarket 2020 Industry Analysis by Type, Application, End-User and Region : NEC Corporation, Aware, Inc., Ayonix Corporation, Cognitec... - September 19th, 2020
- AI-based brain monitoring and robotic muscle projects win 11.5m EPSRC boost | Imperial News - Imperial College London - September 19th, 2020
- Mobile Biometrics Market Analysis Technological Innovation by Leading Industry Experts and Forecast to 2028 - The Daily Chronicle - September 19th, 2020
- MOBILE BIOMETRICS MARKET TO SET PHENOMENAL GROWTH WITH KEY VENDORS | EGIS TECHNOLOGY INC.; SHENZHEN GOODIX TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD.; SYNAPTICS... - September 19th, 2020
- Neurotechnology Market Poised to Grow at a Healthy CAGR of XX% During the Forecast Period 2017 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 21st, 2020
- Fingerprint Biometrics In The VAR Market 2020 by Innovations, New Technology And Research- Fulcrum Biometrics, Neurotechnology, 360 Biometrics,... - July 21st, 2020
- NASA warns of a massive asteroid bigger than the famous London Eye approaching Earth on July 24 - Business Insider India - July 21st, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market 2025: Research By Top Manufacturers with Market Size,Market Growth, Competitive Regions with Opportunities in Industry -... - July 21st, 2020
- Global and Country Specific Neural Control Market Report 2020 Forecast, Opportunities and Strategies To 2027: COVID 19 Impact and Recovery Top Key... - July 21st, 2020
- Neurosurgery Market Growth, Analysis, Regions and Type by 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 21st, 2020
- The FINANCIAL - Neuralink chip will stream music into your brain - The FINANCIAL - July 21st, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market 2020 Size By Product Types, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Growth Potential, Price Trends And Forecast To 2025 - Cole of Duty - July 21st, 2020
- MOBILE BIOMETRICS MARKET TRENDS, TECHNOLOGY AND FORECAST | BY TOP COMPANIES APPLE INC.; IDEMIA; NUANCE COMMUNICATIONS Cole of Duty - Cole of Duty - July 8th, 2020
- Image Recognition Market Potential Growth, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts - Apsters News - July 8th, 2020
- Global Neurotechnology Market to Witness Rapid Development During the Period 2017 2025 - Jewish Life News - July 5th, 2020
- Fingerprint Biometrics in VAR Market Overview With Detailed Analysis, Competitive Landscape, Forecast to 2026|Delaney Secure, Neurotechnology, 360... - July 5th, 2020
- Neurotechnology Market by Technology, Solutions, Application, Price, Demand Ana - News by aeresearch - July 5th, 2020
- Technological Advancements in Automatic Speech Recognition Software Market to boost Revenues Through COVID-19 Crisis Phase and Forecast to 2029 - NJ... - July 5th, 2020
- Face Recognition Market IN COVID-19: IMPLICATIONS AND BUSINESS OPPORTUNITIES FOR GROWTH GLOBALLY - 3rd Watch News - July 5th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Neurotechnology Market Research Report, Growth Trends and Competitive Analysis 2020-2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 1st, 2020
- Neuroverse BrainStation System Featured as the Brain-based Sleep Monitoring Solution in a YouTube Originals Series to Promote Sleep Awareness -... - June 1st, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market Analysis 2019-2025 Emerging Trends, Growth Drivers, Challengers, Services, Competitive Landscape and Regional Outlook &... - June 1st, 2020
- Facial Recognition System Market Drivers is Responsible to for Increasing Market Share, Forecast 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 1st, 2020
- VTB Bank to launch research centre in Russia with Skolkovo Foundation - Verdict - May 27th, 2020
- Neurotechnology tops FVC-onGoing biometric test results with fingerprint recognition tech - Biometric Update - May 23rd, 2020
- Global Neurotechnology Market SHARE, SIZE 2020| EMERGING RAPIDLY WITH LATEST TRENDS, GROWTH, REVENUE, DEMAND AND FORECAST TO 2026 Cole Reports - Cole... - May 23rd, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market Global Future Investment Initiatives, Growing with Technology Development, New Innovations, Competitive Analysis and... - May 23rd, 2020
- Smell cameras built to detect explosives on planes - The Nation - May 11th, 2020
- Elon Musk Really Is A Huge Gearhead (These Facts Prove It) - TheThings - May 11th, 2020
- Airbus working on sensors that can detect coronavirus - International Business Times, Singapore Edition - May 11th, 2020
- Fingerprint Biometrics In The VAR Market Analysis, Size, Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2025 - Herald Writeup - May 11th, 2020
- Navigating the New Normal With COVID-19: 12 Essential Actions Executives Need To Take Right Now - OPEN MINDS - April 18th, 2020
- Discover How to Easily Teach Neuroscience to Your Kids - Thrive Global - April 18th, 2020
- CHIME: How Yale's Engineers and Doctors are Innovating to Combat COVID-19 - Yale News - April 18th, 2020
- The Coronavirus is Driving the 1st World Headlong into The Fourth Industrial Revolution - Live Trading News - April 18th, 2020
- The Global Face Recognition Market is expected to grow from USD 3,546.56 Million in 2019 to USD 9,992.35 Million by the end of 2025 at a Compound... - April 18th, 2020
- Neurotechnology Market Forecast with Top Companies, Growth Factors, Classification, Regional Analysis, Development Factors and Bedding Fabrics... - March 31st, 2020
- MOBILE BIOMETRICS MARKET TRENDS, TECHNOLOGY AND FORECAST | BY TOP COMPANIES APPLE INC.; IDEMIA; NUANCE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.; NEC CORPORATION - Skyline... - March 31st, 2020
- Face Recognition Market Discover How Increased Adoption of Among Developing Economies Offers A Major Opportunity in Industry - Skyline Gazette - March 31st, 2020
- Stryker to participate in Cowen 40th Annual Health Care Conference - Yahoo Finance - February 26th, 2020
- Non-fiction reviews: One Blade of Grass and three other titles - The Sydney Morning Herald - February 14th, 2020
- Elon Musk promises to have the Neuralink brain chip in a human this year - Inceptive Mind - February 9th, 2020
- CES 2020: The symbiosis of human and machine - The Drum - January 29th, 2020
- Stryker (SYK) to Report Q4 Earnings: What's in the Cards? - Yahoo Finance - January 29th, 2020
- United States Air Force Plans to "Aim High" Leveraging the Science of Neuroplasticity - Yahoo Finance - January 26th, 2020
- MarketsandMarkets forecasts the global facial recognition market size to grow from USD 3.2 billion in 2019 to USD 7.0 billion by 2024, at a CAGR of... - January 26th, 2020
- Wearable technology drives Phoenix to be leader in innovation - AZ Big Media - January 26th, 2020
- Eli Lilly's Acquisition Strategy, And Other News: The Good, Bad And Ugly Of Biopharma - Seeking Alpha - January 26th, 2020
- Neurotechnology Market Trends, Key Players, Overview, Competitive Breakdown and Regional Forecast by 2025 - Filmi Baba - December 26th, 2019
- designboom 2020 TECH PREDICTIONS: cyborgs and brainjacking - Designboom - December 26th, 2019
- Neurotechnology firm partners two care facilities with eye movement platform - Med-Tech Innovation - December 13th, 2019
- SyncThinks eye-tracking helps monitor brain health and concussion risk - VentureBeat - December 12th, 2019
- These were the 15 best CEOs of 2019 - Business Insider - December 12th, 2019
- Worldwide Facial Recognition Market Latest Research By Business Expansion Plans, Industry Demand Status & Forecast 2028 - Tech News Today - December 12th, 2019
- Neurotechnology Market Report 2019 | Industry Size, Share, Trend And Forecast Is A Professional And In-Depth Study By 2026 - Alpha News Report - December 6th, 2019
- Trying to read the 'mind of a group' shapes our decisions online - Futurity: Research News - December 6th, 2019
- Global Facial Recognition Market Top Key Players, Regions and Application Outlook Upto 2019 to 2028 - Industry Planning - December 6th, 2019
- Neurotechnology startup NextMind unveils world's first brain-sensing wearable that delivers real-time device control with just your thoughts -... - November 23rd, 2019
- NextMind Unveils World's First Brain-Sensing Wearable That Delivers Real-Time Device Control With Just Your Thoughts - Business Wire - November 23rd, 2019
- Neurotechnology and the Future of Hope - Robotics Tomorrow (press release) - August 25th, 2017
- Canaccord Genuity Keeps Rating And Raises Price Target On Stryker Corporation (SYK) - Modern Readers - August 25th, 2017
- Technology Key to Fighting Neurological Disease - R & D Magazine - August 25th, 2017
- Could this back-pain device end need for opioids? - The Columbus Dispatch - August 20th, 2017
- In the Future, Humans Will Use Brain to Brain Communication and Download Their Memories If Elon Musk Has His Way - Newsweek - August 14th, 2017
- Open-source Morpheo Platform to Use Artificial Intelligence to Help Diagnose Sleep Disorders - Sleep Review - August 8th, 2017
- Stryker Exceeded Analysts' Sales Estimates in 2Q17 - Market Realist - August 2nd, 2017
- Elon Musk talks of his life's 'highs' and 'lows' in a few painfully honest tweets - Mashable - July 31st, 2017