Talk about a rigged election. Willie Davis received a grand total of zero Hall of Fame votes, lifetime. Zip, zilch, nada.
Why? Because the Dodgers' great centerfielder never made it out of starting gate. There was no one-and-done, no opportunity to be rejected by the writers,no chance to be knocked off the ballot with fewer than 5 percent of the vote.
Why? Because the 3-Dog's name never appeared on a Cooperstown ballot, a snub which I find almost impossible to fathom. So after a recent and random search of Davis to gaze upon his accomplishments, during which I noticed the snub, I contacted new National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum President, Tim Mead, who I knew from his long tenure as communications director for the Angels, to inquire. He put me in touch with HOF Library Director, Jim Gates, who shared what he was able to find out about the 1985 election, which was Willie's first and only shot at immortality.
But first, a little appreciation for the Dodger great's statistics.
In 62 seasons dating to the Dodgers' arrival from Brooklyn in 1958, Davis is the Los Angeles career leader in -- are you ready? -- WAR position players (59.6), at bats (7495), runs (1004), hits (2091), total bases (3094), triples (110), extra base hits (585), power-speed # (211.0; franchise leader) and offensive WAR (41.3). And he's a franchise top 10 member -- that's New York and L.A. -- in 22 categories.
Lou Brock and Catfish Hunter were elected in their first year of eligibility in 1985. No argument here.
Here are other first-time candidates on the ballot:Jesus Alou,Rico Carty,Dock Ellis, Ken Holtzman, Don Kessinger,Ed Kranepool, Mickey Lolich, Jim Lonborg, Andy Messermith,George Scott,Bobby Tolan and Roy White.
Davis' 59.6 WAR beats every one of those first-year guys (for comparison, Alou managed a whopping 0.7; Kranepool a 4.4 and Kessenger a 9.0), and would've been fourth among the entire 41 players on the ballot, being eclipsed only by Ken Boyer (62.8) and the enshrined Ron Santo (70.5), Billy Williams (63.7).
His 1053 RBIs would'veled the first-timers too (Alou had 377; Tolan 497). He'd have been second to Brock (938) in steals with 398 (the next closest was White with 233). The .723 OPS, while not great, would've been fourth on the debut players list behind only Carty (.833), Scott (.767) and White (.764). And you want to tell me Davis wasn't worthy of a place on the ballot?
Here's the explanation via Gates from Cooperstown:
With respect to your inquiry about Willie Davis:
1. I can confirm that he did not appear on the HOF ballot in 1985, his first year of eligibility, nor did he appear on any BBWAA ballot thereafter. This is the list of other first time eligible who did not appear on the 1985 ballot: Darrel Chaney, Gene Clines, Joe Coleman, Frank Duffy, Ray Fosse, Ellie Hendricks, Steve Mingori, Bob Montgomery, Tom Murphy, Bob Robertson, Wayne Twitchell, and Bobby Valentine.
2. [Davis] does remain eligible for consideration by the appropriate Veterans Committee Era, but I find no record of his inclusion on any ballot. (As you are aware, these are closed room discussion, so I do not know if he was reviewed at any time.)
3. The 1985 ballot seems to be a bit of an anomaly as 11 players previously dropped were reinstated by a Special Committee. Those 11 were: Richie Allen, Ken Boyer, Clay Carroll, Ron Fairly, Curt Flood, Harvey Haddix, Denny McLain, Dave McNally, Vada Pinson, Ron Santo, and Wilbur Wood.
4. This reinstatement would seem to have taken up room on the ballot, thereby making it more difficult for the new names to be added. Unfortunately, there are precious few records kept from these meetings and Special Committees so there is minimal documentation of why these decisions were made. Additionally, all of the people who were involved in this process have passed away, so I cannot query them directly.
5. Finally, there are a few threads on the web which consider Davis to be the highest ranked player never to have appeared on the ballot. However, in my 25 years at the HOF, this is the first time I have been queried about his situation.
While it appears to have been meant as a diss, I'll wear that last sentence as a badge of honor, thank you very much.
To be clear, it's not that I think that Davis would've or should've been elected if given the chance. I don't, but the omission from the ballot bothers me. A lot. And look, I wouldn't expect a Hall of Fame employee to throw a possibly-deceased predecessor under the bus for a 35-year-old offense. And it is an offense.
But since I don't have someone to blame -- and for all I know the person will step forward to explain himself after reading this piece -- I don't feel as though I'm being unfair in saying this:Davis missed a chance to represent the Dodgers, to be rewarded with a certain number of votes accompanied by a percentage of those cast -- likely fewer than the 75 percent required, but better than most of his first-year peers -- because of a badly-constructed ballot. A less-than-fair election.
Best reason I can think of as to why this happened? Because someone in upstate New York in 1985 had a brain-freeze. And I understand it can get mighty cold up there in the winter.
And remember, glove conquers all.
Howard Cole has been writing about baseball on the internet since Y2K. Follow him on Twitter.
See the article here:
- The Immortal Trailer and Poster Revealed by HBO Max - VitalThrills.com - July 16th, 2021
- Psychonauts 2 Will Have An Immortality Option - Attack of the Fanboy - July 16th, 2021
- Nike Recalls The First Time Giannis Antetokounmpo Had A Smoothie With Latest Release - Sneaker News - July 16th, 2021
- 'He would do anything for this game': How Bud Black quietly reached baseball immortality - The Athletic - July 16th, 2021
- Novak Djokovic wins 20th grand slam title at Wimbledon on the road to tennis immortality - The New Daily - July 16th, 2021
- Book Notes: In search of Proust, finding Ruskin, poets, poems and art - theday.com - July 16th, 2021
- Hanford Gourmet: The Eight Immortals live up to the name - Hanford Sentinel - July 16th, 2021
- 'Success breeds success.' Ohio is on a post-pandemic winning streak - Buckeye Institute - July 16th, 2021
- England seal emphatic Ukraine win at Euro 2020 and stand two games away from immortality - The Mirror - July 5th, 2021
- Netflix's The Old Guard Sequel Is Confirmed to Start Filming 2022 - The Mary Sue - July 5th, 2021
- The old Guard 2: Synopsis, Cast, Release Date, and Everything - LeeDaily.com - The Lee Daily Register - July 5th, 2021
- NHL to Engrave Fan Tweets at Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto - iPhone in Canada - June 28th, 2021
- [Interview] Sam Barlow Talks Movie Mystery Game 'Immortality', 'Inland Empire' Inspiration, and the Spiritual Successor to His 'Silent Hill' Game -... - June 24th, 2021
- Nike Giannis Immortality Revealed In Aqua And Crimson As The Greek Freaks Title Run Continues - Sneaker News - June 24th, 2021
- Jurgen Klopp in tears, a new Liverpool anthem and the night immortality beckoned - Liverpool Echo - June 24th, 2021
- 'Fast' franchise soars to new heights in 'F9: The Fast Saga' while also looking to the past - The Spokesman-Review - June 24th, 2021
- THE OLD GUARD: TALES THROUGH TIME #3: Unexpected Family and Moon Landings - Comic Watch - June 24th, 2021
- Lobsters, jellyfish, and the foolish quest for immortality - Big Think - June 20th, 2021
- Can We Really Become Immortals? Voice of Biotecnika - BioTecNika - June 20th, 2021
- Ageing process is unstoppable, finds unprecedented study - The Guardian - June 20th, 2021
- SHARUKO ON SATURDAY : In that moment, Yogis legacy, was sealed - The Herald - June 20th, 2021
- 'IMMORTALITY' from Sam Barlow (Her Story, Telling Lies) Is an FMV Adventure Set to Release in 2022 on PC and More - Touch Arcade - June 15th, 2021
- Her Story and Telling Lies creator reveals new game Immortality - Pocket Gamer - June 15th, 2021
- Hazard, Vertonghen and a stunning Belgium generation running out of time - Football365 - June 15th, 2021
- Whispers of Immortality by T. S. Eliot | Poetry Foundation - June 6th, 2021
- Wordsworths Poetry: Ode: Intimations of Immortality ... - June 6th, 2021
- Why didnt the Eternals help fight Thanos? - The Daily Dot - May 24th, 2021
- Henry Cavill in talks to star in Highlander reboot - WION - May 22nd, 2021
- $100 Disneyland sandwich ranks as one of the worlds most expensive - East Bay Times - May 22nd, 2021
- Josh Taylor eyeing boxing immortality in undisputed Las Vegas clash with Jose Ramirez - Mirror Online - May 20th, 2021
- Josh Taylor expects nastiness towards Jose Ramirez ahead of chance at immortality - The Independent - May 20th, 2021
- Kobe Bryant enters the Hall of Fame on Saturday. Heres how he achieved basketball immortality. | Mike Sielski - The Philadelphia Inquirer - May 20th, 2021
- INTERVIEW: Ram V and Filipe Andrade on Deaths rude awakening in THE MANY DEATHS OF LAILA STARR - Comics Beat - May 20th, 2021
- Legendary Comics announces YA imprint - MP3s and NPCs - May 20th, 2021
- William Urban: The perils of publishing - Monmouth Daily Review Atlas - May 20th, 2021
- The anomaly of Jon Bois's '17776' - The Michigan Daily - May 20th, 2021
- Guide to the classics: Shakespeares sonnets an honest account of love and a surprising portal to the man himself - The Conversation AU - May 20th, 2021
- The Nike Giannis Immortality Set To Release In An Essential Black And Volt - Sneaker News - May 9th, 2021
- Michael Schenker on creativity, immortality, and why hell never make peace with Rudolf - Louder - May 9th, 2021
- For Swedish filmmaker Roy Andersson, there is immortality in art - Yahoo News - May 9th, 2021
- Shadow and Bone Recap: Now Kiss - Vulture - April 29th, 2021
- Misinformation will prevail | Opinion | dailyitem.com - Sunbury Daily Item - April 29th, 2021
- TFT Set 5 Reckoning Shadow items: Updated stats and best-in-slot - Dot Esports - April 29th, 2021
- Dying for immortality, this artist wants you to dispose of her body - Sydney Morning Herald - April 23rd, 2021
- Opening the Gate to Immortality: 25 years of Satyricon's Nemesis Divina - Invisible Oranges - April 23rd, 2021
- How (not) to be a god The Bowdoin Orient - The Bowdoin Orient - April 23rd, 2021
- The X-Men Are Losing Their Soul, and Nightcrawler Wants to Find It - Gizmodo - April 23rd, 2021
- Artificial Hearts: Could They Be the Key to Immortality? - Interesting Engineering - April 21st, 2021
- New study sheds light on the interplay between belief in an afterlife and secular-symbolic avenues to immortality - PsyPost - April 21st, 2021
- Messages of Faith: Resurrection is the answer for immortality - Daily Record-News - April 17th, 2021
- Exploring immortality and the value of life - Bangkok Post - Bangkok Post - April 17th, 2021
- Overwatch players are furious at the worst Experimental patch yet - Dexerto - April 17th, 2021
- 'Tina': The Ultimate Thesis of Why She Deserves Rock Hall Immortality - wmgk.com - March 31st, 2021
- Three top contenders in the fray for Indian Derby - The Hindu - March 31st, 2021
- Immortal Jellyfish, Radiated Tortoise, and More: 11 Ancient Animals Older Than Every Human on Earth - Nature World News - March 31st, 2021
- Keanu Reeves' BRZRKR Can Show Why He'd Be The Perfect MCU Wolverine - Screen Rant - March 31st, 2021
- Daily Recco, March 17: The People in the Trees, battling immortality and immorality - DailyO - March 21st, 2021
- Hulk Crushes the Avengers in Jaw-Dropping New Alex Ross Cover Art - Screen Rant - March 21st, 2021
- Unheard-of//Ensemble probes inner space in Messiaen's Quartet and new works - South Florida Classical Review - March 21st, 2021
- Katrick: The color green and its many meanings - The Newark Advocate - March 21st, 2021
- 10 Comic Book Superpowers That Are Highly Overrated | CBR - CBR - March 21st, 2021
- Millennials on Exhibit at the Russian Museum - The Moscow Times - March 21st, 2021
- Star Wars: How the Great Sith War Changed the Galaxy | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - March 21st, 2021
- Wonder Woman: 10 Facts About The Amazons You Need To Know | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 22nd, 2021
- How to achieve immortality and have a food named after you - The Takeout - February 21st, 2021
- How rejecting Inter and Lyon set Andre-Pierre Gignac on his way to Tigres immortality - Squawka - February 10th, 2021
- Marvel Confirms Thanos Can't Be Killed, But Not For The Reason You Think - Screen Rant - February 10th, 2021
- Why Bayern Munich's opponents, Tigres, are taking the Club World Cup seriously, even if Europe is not - DW (English) - February 10th, 2021
- 'The Bitter Comes With The Sweet': Without Death, There Is No Life - WBUR - February 10th, 2021
- Disney Pixar's Soul: how the moviemakers took Plato's view of existence and added a modern twist - The Conversation UK - February 10th, 2021
- Life after death: Woman 'engulfed by light and God' in afterlife vision - Daily Express - February 10th, 2021
- Charles Woodson's Words Prove Just How Special The Hall Of Fame Is - Wolverine Maven - February 10th, 2021
- Cicely, Cloris, and two paths to Hollywood immortality - The Boston Globe - February 2nd, 2021
- Regular Exercise and Lifting Weights Might Be the Key to Immortality - The Great Courses Daily News - February 2nd, 2021
- Roblox CEO Dave Baszucki believes users will create the metaverse - VentureBeat - January 29th, 2021
- Does Matthew Die in 'A Discovery of Witches'? The Vampire's Fate Revealed! - Distractify - January 29th, 2021
- Cyberpunk 2077's Development Was Shorter Than Anyone Realized - CBR - Comic Book Resources - January 19th, 2021
- How Star Wars Could Bring Back A Weapon More Powerful Than The Darksaber - Screen Rant - January 19th, 2021
- How to Fix Some of the Bachelors Thorny Logistical Issues - The Ringer - January 19th, 2021
- JUANITA FLOYD: What testimony will you leave behind? - Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal - January 17th, 2021