The endless stereotypes about women include the myths that we all dream of nurturing a child; although this stereotype is accurate for some women, it is not for all
Im sitting at a table with a bunch of women and a couple of men. The conversation is about children: how many we hope to have, baby names, would we rather a boy or a girl?
It goes around in a circle and everyone is excited to answer these questions. When its my turn to answer, Im not excited. Im a 20 year old journalism student in my second year of college. My whole life is ahead of me. So how many children do you want? I respond None.
The whole room goes quiet and awkward, until someone chimes in, You are young though, you will want them in the future. The next person is asked the same question, he is a man, he also says he does not want children, but this time there is no awkward silence, they accept his answer and move on.
Perhaps most women do dream of having children and of becoming a mother, but the fact is I dont. I want a career and I want that career to be my child, I dont see anything wrong with that.
Throughout my life, I have never wanted a child or fantasised about motherhood. Its not what I want out of life. I salute to the women who dream of becoming a mother and giving birth, for having the strength to deal with breastfeeding and the constant care of another, more vulnerable being.
I empathise with women who want to be a mothers and cant, but just because I dont desire children does not make me selfish. Many female celebrities get pitied for having a child-free life by choice. Successful women who have chosen a child-free life that they have been shamed for and it has only made them stronger in their decision.
Jennifer Aniston lives a child-free life and refuses to be pitied for it. I have worked too hard in this life and this career to be whittled down to a sad childless human, she told Marie Claire magazine.
Oprah Winfrey also chose not to have children, saying, If I had kids, my kids would hate me, because something in my life would have had to suffer, and it would probably have been them.
Helen Mirren waited to have kids and it never happened: It was not my destiny. I didnt care what people thought. It was only boring old men who would ask me. And whenever they went, What, no children? Well you better get on with it, old girl, Id say No! F**koff!. Nice one, Helen.
When they detect reluctance, parents say things like you have no idea what you are missing but that doesnt make sense. I see mothers everywhere and while I know its not the whole picture I get a clear sense of what it entails. Why would their lives change our minds? If we dont want what we see on the outside, why would we want what we see on the inside?
The endless stereotypes about women include the myths that we all dream of nurturing a child; although this stereotype is accurate for some women, it is not for all. In fact, there are many men who also suit this stereotype.
From a very young age, I have never seen a child in my future. I dont have a maternal bone in my body. I am going to college to get a degree to find a stimulating career path, one I do not want to give up or compromise on for a child. I shouldnt be expected to want a child because I have a uterus.
There are many reasons I dont want to be a parent. I never fully had a childhood myself having spent many of my early years looking after my autistic sister. To some degree, I have already experienced what being a mother is like and I can safely say its not for me.
I also worry that my child might have special needs and that as a result I would not be able to live the life I imagine for myself. My ambition in life is to have a full-time career not to be a full-time carer.
Seeing a woman who is resolutely childfree seems to seems to give people licence to call women selfish, self-absorbed, and shallow. There are many reasons these women do not want children. Pregnancy itself takes a serious toll on a persons life and it consumes the person. Fertility issues are often a reason as when faced with them, people can question the necessity of having kids.
There are a lot of expectations with having children: to be a perfect mother and to make perfect choices. Not everyone wants the pressure (I dont). And not all women are programmed with maternal instinct. Career ambitions can take priority and children do not fit into every lifestyle.
I have my reasons, but reasons should not be necessary. I shouldnt have to explain. Our choices about what we do with our bodies are deeply personal. We should stop pitying or putting down people who chose to have a child-free life.
Originally posted here:
- Childfree and Childless The Difference - The Good Men Project - May 24th, 2020
- A word for mums who never wanted kids - The Standard - May 24th, 2020
- Child-free women are tired of being told they'll regret it - The Big Smoke Australia - March 23rd, 2020
- Things You Only Know If You're Childless - And Not By Choice - Grazia - March 23rd, 2020
- 10 Women Look Back On Living Childfree By Choice | SELF - February 28th, 2020
- 5 Things 'Childfree' People Want You To Know | HuffPost Life - February 28th, 2020
- This Is What No One Tells You About Being Child-Free In ... - February 28th, 2020
- Deciding whether to have kids or not is hard, but there is a way forward - ABC News - January 18th, 2020
- Since the age of 5, I've known that I don't want to be a mother - CBC.ca - November 30th, 2019
- 10 top tips to take the stress out of Christmas shopping - Offaly Express - November 30th, 2019
- Im childfree, not childless heres why that difference matters - Stylist Magazine - October 24th, 2019
- 9 Childfree Women Explain What Life Is Like Without Kids ... - August 20th, 2017
- How Not To Be A Dick To Your Childfree Friends - August 11th, 2017
- Calgary bucking national trend of couples with fewer kids, census ... - Calgary Herald - August 5th, 2017
- Ode: Divorced and dating again, childfree by choice | KWIT - KWIT - July 28th, 2017
- Ode: Divorced and dating again, childfree by choice - KWIT - July 26th, 2017
- Home | Childfree Women UK & Ireland - July 5th, 2017
- Celebrating ChildFreedom on the Fourth of July - HuffPost - July 4th, 2017
- Myths and Facts About Living Childfree - RESOLVE - July 1st, 2017
- Can Everyone On RHONY Stop Shaming Carole Radziwill For Not Having Children? - Refinery29 - June 30th, 2017
- Vacation without Children - Childfree Getaways - TripSavvy - June 23rd, 2017
- Why you should go on a child-free vacation - Femina - June 22nd, 2017
- What We Get Wrong About Women Who Don't Have Kids - Refinery29 - June 19th, 2017
- Why Not Wanting Kids Is a Good Enough Reason to Not Have Them - POPSUGAR - June 19th, 2017
- 'Strangers should mind their own business about my child-free status' - Independent.ie - June 9th, 2017
- Overlooking the childfree is a mistake - Spectator.co.uk (blog) - June 7th, 2017
- How People Decide Whether to Have Children - The Atlantic - May 23rd, 2017
- Recognizing Childfree Families On International Family Day - HuffPost - May 17th, 2017
- I Have No Regrets About Choosing To Be Childfree - Huffington Post India - April 23rd, 2017
- Let Them Be Snipped: A Proposal of Ideas - ODU Mace & Crown - April 23rd, 2017
- Ina Garten On Being Childfree: 'It's A Choice And That Was The ... - Huffington Post - April 21st, 2017
- Chrissy Teigen: We Shouldn't 'Assume All Women's Goals Are To Have Kids' - Huffington Post - April 13th, 2017
- The Childfree, Outrage, and Where It Belongs - Huffington Post - April 7th, 2017
- What not to say to couples who don't have children - The Irish Times - Irish Times - March 23rd, 2017
- Childfree: Meet the women who don't want to become mums - ABC Online - March 21st, 2017
- Child-free and OK with it but still dealing with moral scolding and ... - Salon - March 7th, 2017
- Meet The Twenty-Something Childfree Women Fighting To Be Sterilised - Huffington Post UK - March 7th, 2017
- Ugh: Americans Still Think Less of People Without Kids - Glamour - March 6th, 2017
- This May Explain Why So Many People Feel Outraged About Childfree Adults - Huffington Post - March 2nd, 2017
- I had a vasectomy and I have no regrets - Why a lot of people are opting for a child free lifestyle - SDE Entertainment News (satire) (press release)... - February 26th, 2017
- Only One in the World: Pioneering NotMom Summit to Connect Childless & Childfree Women - PR Newswire (press release) - February 7th, 2017
- Why No Kids - We're childfree and happy. You could be too! - February 4th, 2017
- Voluntary childlessness - Wikipedia - February 1st, 2017
- Mommyjacking The Childfree Life - STFU Parents - February 1st, 2017
- Jillian Michaels - Scary Mommy - December 31st, 2016
- Childfreedom - August 10th, 2016
- The Very Sad Childfree Life | Strange Notions - July 31st, 2016
- International Childfree Day | Celebrating Childfree Men ... - July 25th, 2016
- Childfree Me Reflections on my choice to be childless - July 3rd, 2016
- The Childfree-by-Choice Pages - June 19th, 2016
- the childfree-by-choice pages [ potpourri ] - June 19th, 2016
- Childfree News - June 17th, 2016
- I Do NOT Want Kids! ( CHILDFREE / KIDFREE dating ) aka ... - June 17th, 2016
- Complete Without Kids: a Childfree by Choice Handbook ... - June 17th, 2016
- Vacation Without Children (Childfree Getaways) - June 16th, 2016
- Childfree - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - June 12th, 2016
- Living Childfree - RESOLVE: The National Infertility ... - June 12th, 2016
- The Childfree Life - June 12th, 2016
- The Childfree Life Index page - June 12th, 2016
- Happily Childfree - June 12th, 2016