SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (KELO) As the South Dakota Department of Health celebrates 50% of South Dakotas population age 16 or older receiving at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, Rep. Dusty Johnson called for more people to sign up.
Nearly a week after getting his vaccine, Johnson told KELOLAND News people should continue to look into the science and analyze the data about the vaccines themselves.
Johnson said Sanford Health officials told him last week, theres only been 22 reactions to more than 116,000 shots given.
That shows how safe this vaccine is, Johnson said. Showing people the facts, thats always a way to increase confidence.
CBS News published a story about Michigan polling on the vaccine, which showed 50% of Republicans and 25% of Democrats answered No or not sure about getting vaccinated.
A poll from Kaiser Family Foundation published at the end of March showed less people would wait and see when a COVID-19 vaccine would be available to them. The poll noted Republicans and white evangelical Christians were the most likely to say they will not get vaccinated, with almost 30% of each group.
South Dakotas lone lawmaker in the U.S. House of Representatives said leaders in America are leading by example on the importance of getting a vaccine.
Whether you trust Donald Trump, or Joe Biden, or Kristi Noem or Dusty Johnson, weve all gotten the vaccine, Johnson said. Every single one of us acknowledged that this is the right thing to do for us. Its the right thing to do for the United States of America.
Lets not the economy take another hit. Lets get rid of COVID-19. That means everybody getting the vaccine.
As of Monday, the South Dakota DOH was reporting 303,040 persons, not including federal data from Indian Health Service or Veteran Affairs, have received at least one dose of the vaccine.
Indian Health Service said as of April 6, 24,981 patients have received at least one dose of the vaccine. As of Monday, Veteran Affairs is reporting 16,620 persons are fully vaccinated.All combined, it equals 344,641 persons in South Dakota having at least one dose.
Johnson said recent history shows Americans are moving backwards in understanding science.
With regard to the vaccine, weve probably regressed in our knowledge base if anything, Johnson said. Just 10 years ago it was acknowledged that vaccines were among the greatest healthcare, medical breakthroughs in the history of humankind.
Johnson pointed out smallpox, serious infectiousdisease, was eliminated because it was a vaccine people around the world were willing to take.
We all want to get back to normal. That happens most quickly when people are willing to be part of a team and get the vaccine, Johnson said.
On Monday, President Joe Bidens Press Secretary Jen Psaki answered questions about how the federal government is working with states to encourage vaccinations.
Psaki said the administration is focused on fact-based messages with local communities. She said $3 billion has been invested in community-based organizations, which include faith-based organizations.
She noted theres PSAs on TV shows like the Deadliest Catch and added the administration is engaged with NASCAR and country music TV.
Were looking for a range of creative ways to get directly connected with white conservative communities, Psaki said. We wont always be the best messengers, but were still trying to meet people where they are, but also empower local organizations.
- Donald Trump, Facing $590 Million in Debt Payments, Gets ... - May 4th, 2021
- Ted Cruz and Donald Trump Jr. mocked a new CIA recruitment ad in which a staffer identified as a millennial with anxiety - Yahoo News - May 4th, 2021
- Trump launches 'From the desk of Donald J. Trump' as potential Facebook ban looms - USA TODAY - May 4th, 2021
- Opinion | Tucker Carlson Is the New Donald Trump - The New York Times - May 4th, 2021
- Donald Trump relocating to New Jersey to jumpstart ... - April 29th, 2021
- Trumps Battle to Win the First 100 Days - POLITICO - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump makes late push for Susan Wright in special election to fill her late husband's U.S. House seat - The Texas Tribune - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump Seizes On Low Oscars Ratings To Bash Telecast: Dont Be So Politically Correct And Boring - Deadline - April 29th, 2021
- Trump allies fear his 2024 indecision is blowing chance to 'control' GOP: CNN - Business Insider - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump believes he would be on Mount Rushmore if he were a Democrat - Yahoo News - April 29th, 2021
- Its been exactly one year since Trump suggested injecting bleach. Weve never been the same. - POLITICO - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump is turning Arizona into the Area 51 of politics - The Arizona Republic - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump Believes He Would Be On Mount Rushmore If He Ran As A Democrat - OK! - April 29th, 2021
- Trump was pitched on founding a $15 billion 'conservative media powerhouse' called Trump Media Group - Business Insider - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump May Be Returning To Bedminster This Summer: Report - Patch.com - April 29th, 2021
- Court will hear case against Trump on JEDI - FCW.com - April 29th, 2021
- The 1990s card game that predicted 9/11, Donald Trump, Covid and the Capitol riot - Yahoo News - April 29th, 2021
- John McCain's Widow Cindy Blasts Donald Trump As A 'Snake Oil Salesman,' Says He Turned The Republican Party Into A 'Disgrace' - OK! - April 29th, 2021
- Did former President Donald Trump get the COVID vaccine ... - April 27th, 2021
- What happened during the Jan. 6 call between Donald Trump and Kevin McCarthy? - PolitiFact - April 27th, 2021
- Susan Wright endorsed by Donald Trump in Texas congressional election - The Texas Tribune - April 27th, 2021
- Hes Going to Say My Name - Slate - April 27th, 2021
- 'He Has Never Spoken The Truth': Twitter Erupts After Donald Trump Claims Wife Melania Never Had Plastic Surgery - OK! - April 27th, 2021
- Trump ally Collins won't run for Senate or Georgia governor - The Associated Press - April 27th, 2021
- Podcast Corner: The Line looks at the actions in Iraq of Donald Trump's favourite Navy Seal - Irish Examiner - April 27th, 2021
- Rachel Maddow Can't Believe Even Lysol Had To Set The World Straight On Donald Trump - HuffPost - April 27th, 2021
- GOP committee ousts treasurer after he admitted to not voting for Trump - Fox17 - April 27th, 2021
- Trump gives thumbs up on Posts push for lifesaving COVID vaccine - New York Post - April 27th, 2021
- Will Donald Trump run for president again, win in 2024? Bet on it - Las Vegas Review-Journal - April 25th, 2021
- Opinion: Donald Trump blazed a trail that clears the way for Joe Biden - Bangor Daily News - April 25th, 2021
- Donald Trump savagely mocked on Twitter over claims Melania had no work done Lying - Daily Express - April 25th, 2021
- Madam Speaker review: how Nancy Pelosi bested Bush and Trump - The Guardian - April 25th, 2021
- People are climbing over Trumps $15 billion border wall with $5 ladders - Business Insider - April 25th, 2021
- Could Donald Trump Jrs crass Die Hard meme on policing inadvertently encourage reform? - The Independent - April 25th, 2021
- National View: Trump loves rallies; so why aren't they all part of the historical record? - Duluth News Tribune - April 25th, 2021
- Letters to the editor: Readers defend the filibuster, call out Donald Trump and show appreciation to volunteers - The Topeka Capital-Journal - April 25th, 2021
- Defeat for Donald Trump and the Republicans: The following lawsuit is dropped - Prudent Press Agency - April 21st, 2021
- Donald Trump is ditching the spray tan, M&M's, and even ... - April 21st, 2021
- 'Beyond seriously:' Donald Trump (again) teases another presidential run in 2024 - USA TODAY - April 21st, 2021
- Foxconn mostly abandons $10 billion Wisconsin project touted by Donald Trump - Moneycontrol - April 21st, 2021
- Will Bill Barr Spill the Beans on Donald Trump? - Vanity Fair - April 21st, 2021
- Letter to the Editor: Americans, stand up against Donald Trump - Canton Repository - April 21st, 2021
- "If Biden Wants To Keep Our Country Safe...": Trump's Advice To Successor - NDTV - April 21st, 2021
- Trump slams Biden over withdrawing troops from Afghanistan on September 11 - Boston Herald - April 21st, 2021
- Mike Lindell pranked on livestream by caller pretending to be Donald Trump - Yahoo News - April 21st, 2021
- What Ever Happened to Donald Trump? - The Atlantic - April 17th, 2021
- Donald Trumps 757 Could Be Worth Millions On The Ground - Forbes - April 17th, 2021
- 10 Things in Politics: Donald Trump ditches his spray tan - Business Insider - April 17th, 2021
- Jake Paul: Donald Trump Jr. promotes Youtuber's fight with Ben Askern - Insider - April 17th, 2021
- Borat Trolls Donald Trump's Election Lies In Never-Before-Seen Footage Teaser - HuffPost - April 17th, 2021
- Donald Trump hit with $1 trillion lawsuit over massive COVID-19 death toll in US - Salon - April 17th, 2021
- Donald Trump is facing yet another new lawsuit this one from a NJ parolee | Kelly - NorthJersey.com - April 17th, 2021
- Trump Allies Work to Craft a Platform Going Beyond Fealty to Him - Bloomberg - April 17th, 2021
- Where is Donald Trump? - TRT World - April 15th, 2021
- Meet the Woman Who Could Send Donald Trump to Prison - Vanity Fair - April 15th, 2021
- Heres Everything We Know About Donald Trumps Personal Finances - Yahoo Finance - April 15th, 2021
- Donald Trump Caused The Techlash - Techdirt - April 15th, 2021
- Pastor Johnny Enlow Says People Will Understand Donald Trump's Bravery When They Get to Heaven - Newsweek - April 15th, 2021
- How Rich Are Joe Biden, Donald Trump and All the Other Living US Presidents? - Yahoo Finance - April 15th, 2021
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Donald Trump will again be inaugurated as president - The Albany Herald - April 15th, 2021
- Just How Rich Are Donald Trump, President Biden and These Other Big Names? - Yahoo Finance - April 15th, 2021
- Donald Trump will again be inaugurated as president - The Albany Herald - April 15th, 2021
- Numbers show Donald Trump lost big with non-believers, but many religious voters stuck with him | Opinion - pennlive.com - April 15th, 2021
- Bidens gamble: Will pulling troops revive extremist threat? - KXAN.com - April 15th, 2021
- Whats Donald Trump up to these days? I tried to find out via Instagram - The Guardian - April 11th, 2021
- Donald Trumps net worth dropped by one-third during his presidency - FOX 6 Milwaukee - April 11th, 2021
- Revisiting 2016's 'Donald Trump's The Art of the Deal: The Movie' and the Comedy of the Trump Era - International Policy Digest - April 11th, 2021
- Former President Trump's PAC has $85 million on hand as he prepares for midterms and possible 2024 run - CNBC - April 11th, 2021
- The National Archives won't be able to host Donald Trump's tweets on Twitter - Yahoo Tech - April 11th, 2021
- Milwaukee Asks to Sanction Donald Trump Over 'Baseless' Election Lawsuit - Bloomberg - April 11th, 2021
- Donald Trump and the Art of the Faustian Deal - The National Interest - April 11th, 2021
- Boehner blames Trump, regrets impeaching Clinton and other things we learned from his memoirs - The Cincinnati Enquirer - April 11th, 2021
- Trump held steady among believers at the ballot it was the nonreligious vote he lost in 2020 - Salon - April 11th, 2021
- To hold Donald Trump to account for the Jan. 6 riot, Marcy Kaptur joins a lawsuit against him: This Week in t - cleveland.com - April 11th, 2021
- Donald Trump - Forbes - March 31st, 2021
- Donald Trump Sued by 2 Capitol Police Officers Over Jan. 6 Insurrection - TMZ - March 31st, 2021
- Why Donald Trump Is Fuming Over Dr. Fauci And Dr. Birx - The List - March 31st, 2021
- The Unlikely Team of Prosecutors Hunting Trump in Georgia - The Daily Beast - March 31st, 2021
- Donald Trump ally Matt Gaetz faces sex trafficking probe over alleged relationship with teen girl - Stuff.co.nz - March 31st, 2021
- Wyoming Tells Donald Trump Jr. to Sit Down and STFU - Vanity Fair - March 26th, 2021