Within the Jewish Community, much attention has been drawn to the 2020 Presidential Race.
The 29 major Democratic candidates stances on Jewish issues have all been examined and inspected. While the race for both Democratic and Republican nominee is beginning to wind down, the race for the Libertarian nominee heating up.
In 2016, Americas third-largest party was led by former New Mexico Governor Gary Johnson, who received 4.5 million votes and was just under the cusp of gaining 5% of the vote nationwide.
A 2018 Gallop poll found that 57% of Americans say there is a need for a third party in America, and a 2019 poll by Gallop found that 42% of Americans identify as Independents. The Libertarian Party may not win the White House in 2020, but they certainly have the potential to play a role as a kingmaker.
Below are there are stances on Jewish issues by the top Libertarian candidates for President in 2020.
Chafee is the most notable candidate running for the Libertarian partys nod. The former Republican Senator and Independent Governor became a Libertarian in July 2019 and announced his candidacy for the partys nomination six months later.
Out of every Libertarian candidate, Chafee has the most explicit record when it comes to Jewish issues.
As a Senator in 2007, Chafee spoke at Brown University and said, I am unmovable on the point that the security of the state of Israel is paramount. Everything I have said and will say on the subject has as its ultimate aim the long-term security interests of our ally Israel.
That said, many Pro-Israel activists were upset with Chafees record on Israel as a Senator. Chafee was a critic of Israels expansion of settlements and called on the Bush administration to have a more balanced approach towards Israel.
Stephen Laffey unsucesffuly challenged the incumbent Chafee for Senate in the Republican Primary in 2005. Laffey was supported by Pro-Israel groups, including the Washington Political Action Committee and CityPAC.
Today, Chafee is a member of J Streets Advisory Council, which advises the liberal, Pro-Israel organization on issues pertaining to the two-state solution. Other notable members of the council include former Colorado Senator Gary Hart and Matt Duss, a policy advisor to Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign.
Chafee has an established record with Rhode Islands Jewish Committee. In 2014, he visited and met with seniors at a Jewish Community Center in Providence
Hornberger is the current front-runner for the Libertarian Primary winning five out of the eight non-binding Libertarian Primaries. He is the founder and President of Future of Freedom Foundation.
Hornberger is outspoken about his position to end all foreign aid to all nations, including Israel. At the same time, Hornberger has said he does not have a problem with fundraising drives across America that raise money for both the Israeli government and private Israeli groups. In 2018, Hornberger accused Israel of committing a massacre against Palestinians, and in 2019 he said the Boycott Divestment and Sanctions Movement (BDS) against Israel was in response to the longtime mistreatment of Palestinians.
In a 2019 op-ed, he stated that he supports open borders and believes that if America had open immigration in the 1940s, then the Holocaust would not have occurred. Hornberger has previously claimed that Hitlers anti-semitism was the result of an abusive father.
In the same 2019 op-ed, he inferred that the state of Israel was created because of the Holocaust. That opinion does fail to take into account the early Zionist Movement by Herzl, which began in the 1890s.
Supreme is a perennial satirical candidate and a performance artist known for wearing a boot on his head. Surprisingly, Supreme has gained support and has won two non-binding Libertarian primaries.
In the past, he has joked on Twitter about moving Israel to Arizona or the middle of Utah. He describes himself as supporting a no-state solution.
In 2013, Supreme Tweeted Ron Paul Doesnt Hate Jews, He Just Speaks To Groups That Hate Jews.
Kokesh is a military veteran, anti-war activist, and radio talk show host.
Kokesh is Jewish and his grandparents were forced to flee to Canada because of Europes anti-semitism.
Kokesh has claimed that he was a victim of anti-semitism by those who did not like his coverage of Occupy Wall Street. Kokesh has stated his distaste that anti-semitism is more acceptable than other forms of racism.
Kokesh describes himself as being an anti-Zionist and has been a vocal critic of Israel. He has accused Israel of being an apartheid state and of mistreating Palestinians. Kokesh opposes foreign aid to Israel and is against Israels policy of military conscription. He has defended Ilhan Omar from accusations of anti-semitism.
Behrman is a software engineer and podcaster who is notable for his position that taxation is theft. Behrman has made limited statements on Jewish issues.
In 2019, he criticized former Republican Congressman and 2020 Republican candidate, Joe Walsh, for supporting Israel.
Armstrong is a former NATO contractor and former member of the Honolulu County, Hawaii Neighborhood Board. He has not made any public statements directly about Jews or Israel.
Armstrong has expressed his opposition to the idea religions must teach certain subjects for them to get financial benefits from the government. He is against the government defining religion.
Blake is an 11th Grader at Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy in Bryn Mawr, PA. He most recently served as a Congressional District Lead (PA-4), a volunteer and Jewish Liaison for Andrew Yang's 2020 Presidential Campaign.
Read the original post:
- Amash decides against Libertarian campaign for president | TheHill - The Hill - May 19th, 2020
- Libertarian Group Sues Ohio Again On Behalf Of Closed Gyms - WOSU - May 14th, 2020
- The Libertarian Party Critique of Justin Amash - Reason - May 14th, 2020
- Third Parties Unlikely to Wreak Havoc in 2020 Election - New York Magazine - May 14th, 2020
- Modest meat reforms would help Americans stay fed during the pandemic - The Maine Wire - May 14th, 2020
- Senate votes to reauthorize intel programs with added legal protections | TheHill - The Hill - May 14th, 2020
- Drop off or in person, 8 p.m. is deadline to cast your vote in the primary election - North Platte Telegraph - May 14th, 2020
- Another ludicrous Thought of the Day from the BBC: The Bishop of Manchester assures us that we have libertarian free will - stopthefud - May 14th, 2020
- Live Blog: Nebraska 2020 Primary Election Results | netnebraska.org - NET Nebraska - May 14th, 2020
- Will COVID-19 block third-party ballot access? - The Aggie - May 14th, 2020
- Michigan Rep. Justin Amash on Why Hed Run for President as a Libertarian and the Culture of the GOP - TIME - May 9th, 2020
- Governments Have Screwed Up Mask Purchase and Distribution. Maybe Everyone Should Be a Libertarian in a Pandemic. - Reason - May 9th, 2020
- We Need Economists, Civil Libertarians, and Epidemiologists in the COVID-19 Discussion - Reason - May 9th, 2020
- Is the Chinese Communist Party Really Trying To Take Over the World? - The National Interest - May 9th, 2020
- 600K primary election ballots are in the mail to Montana voters - Missoula Current - May 9th, 2020
- The Coronavirus Might Force Minor Parties Off the 2020 Ballot - New York Magazine - April 21st, 2020
- Who should be included in the libertarian canon - UConn Daily Campus - April 21st, 2020
- The Government Has a Lot More Emergency Powers Than Libertarians Like, but It Still Can't Control Everything - Cato Institute - April 21st, 2020
- Opinion | A new populist revolution is here. Don't buy in. - The Daily Northwestern - April 21st, 2020
- COVID-19 is killing minor parties' ability to get candidates on the ballot in Minnesota - MinnPost - April 21st, 2020
- Why You Should Be a Socialist and a Marxist - Jacobin magazine - April 21st, 2020
- Mark Cuban To Run For President? Billionaire Dallas Mavericks Owner Does Not Rule Out 2020 White House Bid - International Business Times - April 21st, 2020
- Berkeley institution Top Dog is on the ropes. But they still wont take federal aid. - SFGate - April 21st, 2020
- No One Is Coming - Tom Webster - Elemental - April 21st, 2020
- Briefs filed in case over whether NM will move to vote-by-mail primaries during coronavirus emergency - New Mexico Political Report - April 9th, 2020
- Construction Accidents and Personal Injuries, Everything You Ought To Know - The Libertarian Republic - March 24th, 2020
- 'Tiger King' is the weird docu-series distraction we can use right now - WICZ - March 24th, 2020
- As Science And Business Go To War With Each Other, President Trump Pours Fuel On The Fire - Forbes - March 24th, 2020
- Vermin Supreme's quest to win hearts, minds and the Libertarian primaries - The Spectator USA - March 22nd, 2020
- COVID-19 and . . . 2024? - National Review - March 22nd, 2020
- Rand Paul Proves He Is Too Good For Us, As He Upsets the Right People - The Liberator Online - March 22nd, 2020
- Tiger King is the weird docu-series distraction we can use right now - Q13 News Seattle - March 22nd, 2020
- Campaign Beat: The Pandemic, The Primary And Third Parties - MTPR - March 22nd, 2020
- The Right to Assemble Not Erased By Government Emergency Libertarians to Continue Meeting in Keene Sundays at 5pm - Free Keene - March 22nd, 2020
- Just Send the Checks - Reason - March 22nd, 2020
- Opinion | Rufus Woods, Art of Community: Now is the time to sacrifice for elders and the vulnerable - wenatcheeworld.com - March 22nd, 2020
- OPINION EXCHANGE | Amid the outbreak, Minnesota's minor political parties will struggle to get on the ballot - Minneapolis Star Tribune - March 22nd, 2020
- The small-government case for giving everyone a big check - The Week Magazine - March 22nd, 2020
- Armstrong: Liberty in the midst of a pandemic - Complete Colorado - March 22nd, 2020
- At war, Britons can be trusted to do the right thing - Telegraph.co.uk - March 22nd, 2020
- Rand Paul looms as wild card in surveillance fight | TheHill - The Hill - March 8th, 2020
- Our Standards on Civility are Trash - The Libertarian Republic - March 8th, 2020
- Freelancers Shouldn't Betray Other Gig Workers By Allying with Anti-Union Opponents of AB5 - Common Dreams - March 8th, 2020
- Schiff says Democrats are negotiating to include more privacy protections in key surveillance bill | TheHill - The Hill - March 5th, 2020
- Senate passes $8.3 billion coronavirus bill, sending it to Trump | TheHill - The Hill - March 5th, 2020
- Civility and pleas to be heard mark debate among 18 marginal candidates - The Fulcrum - March 5th, 2020
- Talking about a revolution - The Economist - March 5th, 2020
- Plenty of contested races on the ballot this year - Norfolk Daily News - March 5th, 2020
- CA Voters Asked To Approve $17B In School Construction Bonds; Much Of It Unneeded (Opinion) - Patch.com - February 3rd, 2020
- Ahead of polls, New Zealand's opposition party rules out deal with kingmaker Peters - Midwest Communication - February 3rd, 2020
- Will SCOTUS Hearing on Ballot Position Apply to Minor Political Parties? - The Libertarian Republic - February 3rd, 2020
- Fire Wipes Out OC Nonprofit That Helps People Get Back Into The Workforce - LAist - February 3rd, 2020
- Proud Libertarian to run in upcoming council election - Queensland Times - February 3rd, 2020
- Dallas Food Events Not Around the Superbowl - Dallas Observer - February 3rd, 2020
- THE SAVAGE TRUTH: Shaw Blackmon in the middle of a 'jungle' brawl - 13WMAZ.com - February 3rd, 2020
- It's Windy Today! Hold On To Your Hats (And Patio Furniture) - LAist - February 3rd, 2020
- Judicial swamp looking to stymie the 'Trump Revolution' - Washington Times - February 3rd, 2020
- What's the Correct Libertarian Position on Abortion? A Soho Forum Debate - Reason - December 23rd, 2019
- Bob Gibbs to be unopposed in 2020; other candidates removed from ballot - Massillon Independent - December 23rd, 2019
- Remembering the newsmakers we lost in 2019 - KREM.com - December 23rd, 2019
- Green Party, Libertarian Team Up To Fight New Election Rules - WCBS 880 - December 22nd, 2019
- Libertarianism and Abortion: A Debate - Reason - December 22nd, 2019
- Flashpoint: Holcomb and cell phones: The inch that becomes a mile - Terre Haute Tribune Star - December 22nd, 2019
- Tulsi Gabbard Beamed in to Her Debate Night Alternative Event - The Daily Beast - December 22nd, 2019
- How CBD Gummies Gray Areas Should Be Handled - The Libertarian Republic - December 22nd, 2019
- Trump To Have Two GOP Challengers On NC Primary Ballot - WFAE - December 22nd, 2019
- The government must make sure technology serves public interest. The alternative is a libertarian free-for-all - The Guardian - December 18th, 2019
- Amash says it's Congress's duty to impeach Trump | TheHill - The Hill - December 18th, 2019
- Holcomb and cell phones: The inch that becomes a mile - Journal Review - December 18th, 2019
- What types of radios are there? - The Libertarian Republic - December 18th, 2019
- Yes, there's a candidate for president from Connecticut - CT Insider - December 18th, 2019
- GOP candidate pitches robots and immortality to Iowa voters - The Gazette - December 18th, 2019
- Registered 'No Party Preference'? You're Gonna Have to Tell the Elections Office Which Ballot You Want in the March Primaries - Lost Coast Outpost - December 18th, 2019
- What's behind Rep. Dean Phillips' push to get Rep. Justin Amash on the impeachment team - MinnPost - December 18th, 2019
- Greens, Libertarians to sue over third party barriers - Times Union - December 13th, 2019
- Bill Weld Will Be On Mass. Primary Ballots Despite The State GOP's Effort To Block Him - WBUR - December 13th, 2019
- Released From Prison, Young Libertarian Russian Activist Sporting 'Don't Tread On Me' Flag Wants To Be Russia's President - Tsarizm - December 13th, 2019
- Third-Party Candidates in Texas Want a Fair Shot - Reform Austin - December 13th, 2019
- Alan Dershowitz to Newsmax TV: Silence of the Libertarians - Newsmax - December 11th, 2019
- No Party Preference Voters Encouraged to Complete Presidential Primary Ballot Selection Postcards by the New Year - YubaNet - December 11th, 2019