The former president's existence is mediated mainly through press releases, but is anyone listening?
If the internet cancels you, do you still exist? That's a question that must be playing in the mind of former US President Donald Trump.
For most people, the answer to that question seems to be no, as searches for Trump on Google have plummeted to the lowest levels since 2015.
Since losing the Presidential election in November, Trump set about discrediting the results, calling them fraudulent. But it was the ransacking of Capitol Hill on January 6 of this year that turned much of the Big Tech giants that had unwittingly facilitated his rise to power against him.
Social media sites like Twitter and Facebook flexed their muscle and banned Trump for life on their platforms, silencing a powerful voice on the American political right.
A plethora of other companies also ended up banning Trump, including YouTube, Snapchat, TikTok, Instagram, Reddit and Pinterest. But also payment platforms like PayPal and Shopify in a bid to throttle Trump's revenues.
The almost airtight silencing of Trump has revealed an uncomfortable truth about the power of Big Tech and its ability to muzzle and mediate voices on its sites.
In an example of how far Facebook is willing to ensure that Trump is not given any air time, it took down a video of him giving an interview in late March.
How is Trump communicating with the outside world?
The most-watched late-night show host Stephen Colbert shortly after the November elections, stopped saying or printing the former Presidents name in full but only expressing it as an expletive "T****."
Without much fanfare, the move was meant to deprive Trump of the oxygen he derives from becoming such an infamous household name.
Like a monarch deposed from power, Trump is now holed up in his $160 million Mar-a-Lago estate planning and plotting his return to the political frontline and would-be kingmaker in the Republican party.
His online megaphone-like presence has been reduced to a whimper. The former president now relies on press releases being fired into the inboxes of journalists he spent his presidency abusing.
In a recent interview on NewsMax, one of the most influential TV channels amongst conservative circles, Trump swore that he didn't miss Twitter and press releases are the future.
"Frankly, they're more elegant than tweeting, as the expression goes. They're really much more elegant. And the word is getting out," he said, adding, "the tweeting gets you in trouble."
In a bid to remain relevant, the former president has taken to sending out pithy press releases resembling the language he would often use in his tweets. However, lacking access to Twitter and, by extension, directly communicating with voters, Trump is now at the mercy of his old nemesis, journalists.
But even Trump realises that press releases fired into the void are sticking plaster for his wider need to garner more attention and, by extension, power.
Rumours that he could start his own social media site have become increasingly louder. Trump's pulling power amongst conservatives would undoubtedly generate the necessary millions of followers to get it off the ground.
Trump would also have to contend with one hurdle that has consistently befuddled his tenure as president, and that's his legendary ability to be distracted and lose focus or even get bored. A prospect that could afflict a social media startup if it's ever to be a successful venture.
Even as Trump's media presence has become low energy, the psychological hold he maintains over the Republican party shows no sign of receding.
As midterm elections in 2022 draw closer, Republicans seek to curry favour, money and the necessary baptism by Trump to carry conservative voters.
While the broader American public continues to deal with the fallout of the Covid-19 pandemic, Trump's spectre flickers over the politician scene biding its time.
Source: TRT World
- Will the 1/6 Committee Force Jared and Ivanka to Testify Against Donald Trump? - Vanity Fair - July 29th, 2021
- COVID-19 is crushing red states. Why isnt Trump turning his rallies into mass vaccination sites? - Brookings Institution - July 29th, 2021
- Winfrey describes threats in wake of 2020 election to congressional panel - Detroit Free Press - July 29th, 2021
- What was it like to cover Donald Trump as president? Writers tell stories in new LSU press book - The Advocate - July 29th, 2021
- Trump PAC Spends 20% Of Its Operating Expenses At Trumps Business - Forbes - July 29th, 2021
- Im Getting the Word Out: Inside the Feverish Mind of Donald Trump Two Months After Leaving the White House - Vanity Fair - July 25th, 2021
- Will Pence primary Trump and win? | TheHill - The Hill - July 25th, 2021
- Donald Trump says Cleveland Indians name change is 'such a disgrace' and 'disrespectful' to Native Americans - Business Insider - July 25th, 2021
- Donald Trump Allies Break With Ex-President on Supporting Ohio House Candidate - Newsweek - July 25th, 2021
- Joe Biden Mocking Donald Trump by Drinking Water With One Hand in Viral Video - Newsweek - July 25th, 2021
- Michael Cohen says he thinks Jared Kushner has already flipped on Trump - Business Insider - July 25th, 2021
- Certified Loser Donald Trump Is Rebranding MAGA as a Full-On Cult - Daily Beast - July 25th, 2021
- Donald Trump Jr. Responds to Kimberly Guilfoyle 'The View' Rumor - Newsweek - July 25th, 2021
- Donald Trump Jr. intrigued by Kimberly Guilfoyle replacing Meghan McCain on 'The View' - SFGate - July 25th, 2021
- How Scott Walker's Wisconsin Paved the Way for Donald Trump's America - Jacobin magazine - July 25th, 2021
- Melania Trump told Donald Trump she did not think he would win in 2016, former lawyer Michael Cohen told Insider - Yahoo News - July 25th, 2021
- Why the investigation into Trump's alleged misdeeds may be in trouble - Salon - July 25th, 2021
- Trump opines on coup while rejecting fears about his actions - Associated Press - July 16th, 2021
- Trump Lawyers Who Spread False Election Claims Are Now Defending Themselves In Court - NPR - July 16th, 2021
- Opinion: Why we still pay attention to Donald Trump - Poynter - July 16th, 2021
- Kremlin papers appear to show Putins plot to put Trump in White House - The Guardian - July 16th, 2021
- What you need to know about Bill McSwains letter to Donald Trump on Pa. voter fraud - The Philadelphia Inquirer - July 16th, 2021
- Donald Trump's angry at Brett Kavanaugh but this court is a huge win for the far right - Salon - July 16th, 2021
- Mike Pence and Benjamin Netanyahu pushed Donald Trump to bomb Iran after losing the election: rpt - Salon - July 16th, 2021
- Legal threats to Donald Trump more serious than ever before, experts say - The Guardian - July 14th, 2021
- Donald Trump Isnt Letting It Go - The Atlantic - July 14th, 2021
- The Trump Organization Desperately Tries to Distance Itself From Its Criminally Indicted CFO - Vanity Fair - July 14th, 2021
- Trump Is Very Disappointed in Brett Kavanaugh for Not Helping Him Steal the Election - Vanity Fair - July 14th, 2021
- Biden takes big break from habit of avoiding Trump talk | TheHill - The Hill - July 14th, 2021
- Trump's Revenge on Brad Raffensperger in Georgia - The Atlantic - July 14th, 2021
- I've lived under Donald Trump and Fidel Castro. Both taught me the importance of defending truth. - America Magazine - July 14th, 2021
- Opinion | America Punishes Only a Certain Kind of Rebel - The New York Times - July 14th, 2021
- Trump on Jan. 6 insurrection: 'These were great people' - POLITICO - July 12th, 2021
- Inside Donald Trumps Last Days in the White House and Plans for a Comeback - The Wall Street Journal - July 12th, 2021
- Trumpworld wants distance from QAnon even as the ex-president winks at it - POLITICO - July 12th, 2021
- Trump team waited for Wisc. election updates, had time zones wrong: book - Business Insider - July 12th, 2021
- Governors' races see flood of pro-Trump candidates | TheHill - The Hill - July 12th, 2021
- F--k Him: Rupert Murdoch Reportedly Made the Call to Bury Trumps Election Night Dreams in a Shallow Grave - Vanity Fair - July 12th, 2021
- Trump says he paved the way for billionaires' space race - New York Post - July 12th, 2021
- Fact-checking Donald Trump on there being 'no reason' for shooting Ashli Babbitt - PolitiFact - July 12th, 2021
- Why Are Republican Governors Sending National Guard to the Border? - POLITICO - July 12th, 2021
- Who's the Top MAGA Influencer Six Months After Trump Social Media Ban? A Newsweek Ranking - Newsweek - July 12th, 2021
- Donald Trump returns to campaign trail with rally ... - June 28th, 2021
- Still reeling from election loss, Trump says Mitch McConnell 'blew it' for America - Courier Journal - June 28th, 2021
- QAnon Followers Think They See Donald Trump in White House Window Reflection - Newsweek - June 28th, 2021
- Donald Trump Denies That He Asked Justice Department To Go After Saturday Night Live - Deadline - June 28th, 2021
- Reports of a "diminished" Trump are greatly exaggerated he can ride the Big Lie to a 2024 win - Salon - June 28th, 2021
- Is This What Donald Trump Really Thinks Of Rudy Giuliani? - The List - June 28th, 2021
- Out-of-Practice Trump Forgets to Strand Rally Crowd in Parking Lot - The New Yorker - June 28th, 2021
- From Trump to vets: Its a nice break from trench warfare of politics - Deseret News - June 28th, 2021
- Donald Trump Has Apparently Been Questioning All that Jared Kushner Did for His Administration - Yahoo Entertainment - June 28th, 2021
- Of Course Trump Tried to Get the Justice Department to Stop SNL From Making Fun of Him - Vanity Fair - June 24th, 2021
- Pence May Finally Be Ready to Strike Back Against Trump - Business Insider - June 24th, 2021
- Inside the extraordinary effort to save Trump from COVID-19 - Anchorage Daily News - June 24th, 2021
- Is banning Trump from Facebook a First Amendment issue? Clarence Thomas, other conservatives say it is - USA TODAY - June 24th, 2021
- Analysis: Texas Gov. Greg Abbott already has the one endorsement he needs - The Texas Tribune - June 24th, 2021
- Facebook says Donald Trump to remain banned for two years, effective from Jan. 7 - CNBC - June 6th, 2021
- No, Donald Trump didnt win Texas by a lot in 2020; it was among the worst GOP victory margins in decades - The Dallas Morning News - June 6th, 2021
- Did Donald Trump Wear His Pants Backwards? Kris Kross Memes Have Already Begun - Yahoo Entertainment - June 6th, 2021
- The Confusing Law That Could Shape Trumps Legal Fate - POLITICO - June 6th, 2021
- Republicans fear Trump will lead to a lost generation of talent - POLITICO - June 6th, 2021
- Matt Gaetz, Donald Trump and why obstruction of justice matters - MSNBC - June 6th, 2021
- Donald Trump Jr. joins Cameo | TheHill - The Hill - June 6th, 2021
- Don McGahn's Testimony Could Finally Break Donald Trump's Ability to Evade the Law - The New Republic - June 6th, 2021
- Donald Trump's new blog crashed after he posted an unverified claim about election fraud in Arizona - Business Insider - May 20th, 2021
- What we know about investigations looming over Donald Trump and Trump Organization - USA TODAY - May 20th, 2021
- Donald Trump, coronavirus news & more: Whats trending today - cleveland.com - May 20th, 2021
- Donald Trump flies north for the summer to New Jersey golf club - The Guardian - May 20th, 2021
- Donald Trump Is An Exemplary Tenant, Says His Washington D.C. Landlord - Forbes - May 20th, 2021
- Joe Biden proves an elusive target for Republicans. After Cheney fight, their focus is back on the president - USA TODAY - May 20th, 2021
- Donald Trump Bashes 2020 Presidential Election As 'Crime Of The Century' - HuffPost - May 20th, 2021
- Does Donald Trump Know He Could Be Arrested This Year? - Yahoo Entertainment - May 20th, 2021
- Trumps Social Media Magic Appears to Be Wearing Off - Vanity Fair - May 11th, 2021
- Bennet Wants White House Review Of Trump's Decision To Move Space Command Away From Colorado Springs - Colorado Public Radio - May 11th, 2021
- Mike Pence looks at the 2024 presidential race but sees Donald Trump everywhere - South Bend Tribune - May 11th, 2021
- Glaring Problem With GOP's Trump Obsession. He Doesn't Need Them Anymore - Business Insider - May 11th, 2021
- Is there a Snapple Fact that says that Donald Trump lost? Lid tweet goes viral! - HITC - Football, Gaming, Movies, TV, Music - May 11th, 2021
- The Truth About Melania And Donald Trump's Relationship Today - Nicki Swift - May 11th, 2021
- Donald Trump returns to social media with glorified blog ... - May 9th, 2021
- What will Facebooks ban mean for Donald Trumps future? - Brookings Institution - May 9th, 2021