In 1996, Roslyn Heights native Don Cohen published the book My Father, My Son, cowritten with his father Dr. Max Cohen and comprising over a decade of letters written between generations, sent from Dons home in Connecticut to Maxs Long Island residence.
Now, nearly 25 years later, the Cohens letters make up another book, The Inside Ride: A Journey to Manhood. This second volume comprises writings from late 1990s until Maxs death in 2011, with aforeword by Dons son Jared and an afterword by his daughter Emily.
Father and son would use the correspondence to analyze their relationship as they faced new experiences in their lives.
Don worked as a marriage and family therapist, while Max was a psychiatrist and psychoanalyst with a practice in Garden City. Their contrasting schools of thought would lead to often witty, always thoughtful insights from both sides of the father/son divide.
The earlier book had been a success, and took the Cohens on the talk show circuit while bringing the usually quiet Max out of his shell, Don says.
It was funny, he really was resistant to the whole project at first, but he couldnt say no to me, Don said.My fatherhad been much more introverted than me, so to see him really enjoy being on talk shows and being interviewed with me was pretty cool.
But, he says, the relationship took a turn in the year 2000, when they got into an argument in their letters.
He gave an opinion about how I was raising my son which I didnt particularly like, Don said. We wrote some pretty angry letters back and forth. You think youve written this whole book together and everythings fine and dandy, but theres still more stuff to think about.
It took a few years to get back to being father and son again, Don says, but the two still made memories like taking Max to his boyhood home, Coney Island, and visiting a statue of beloved baseball players Jackie Robinson and Pee Wee Reese. The letters would start up again, too,
Then, in late 2009, Don suddenly stopped receiving letters from his father. Concerned, he drove down to Long Island for a visit, and Max told him why he stopped writing.
He told me that hed been diagnosed with Parkinsons disease, and he wasnt physically able to write back, Don said. So I came up with a way for him to write.
Don would drive down semi-regularly to visit Max, with a letter in tow. After he read it, the father would dictate a response, which the son would handwrite.
I didnt want to stop the letters, Don said. I couldnt lose that connection with him.
Don would visit his father for another letter on July 24, 2011, his 87th birthday.
Having my grandchildren and my children is what makes life meaningful, Max wrote that day. Its about love and feeling you have an impact on others. You want to feel like you matter to the people who are important to you, and that they too have the same effect on you. At this point, Donald, I have nothing more to say.
It would be his last, as Max died that September.
In the following years, Don would begin working on a follow-up to their father-son volume, albeit with a different, more mature perspective.
I became a man whos now going through a lot of the same things that he went through with me, Don said. So I had a different understanding and insight now about what it was like to you know be a father with older children, and then to be a grandfather. It gave me a deeper appreciation for some of the things that I challenged him on in the first book.
Now retired with his wife Dee, a native of Sands Point, Don says he is the proud grandfather of two grandsons and three granddaughters, who range from ages 1 to 9. He adds that he hopes they can use the book as a way of getting to know their familys past.
Theyll get to know what kind of relationship that their grandfather had with their great-grandfather, Don said. Theyll get a model of inspiration of a family legacy. Theyll learn a lot about where they came from and where theyre going. And hopefully, itll be passed down through generations.
He adds that hesees the book as a legacy piece.
My father said that his kids were his immortality, Don said. Now I see that my kids and my grandkids are mine.
The Inside Ride: A Journey to Manhood is available through Amazon.
- Unexpected discovery about stem cell immortality study - News - The University of Sydney - November 29th, 2020
- Dessie Hutchinson's journey from Brighton to the brink of hurling immortality with Waterford - Independent.ie - November 29th, 2020
- MLB Hall of Fame: Breaking down the 2021 ballot - Call to the Pen - November 29th, 2020
- Mythical Beasts that Simply Scream Nanjing - The Nanjinger - November 29th, 2020
- Maradonas divine goal and worthy absurdities - Mint - November 29th, 2020
- Exploring the Last Green Valley: Beauty found in December evergreens - Norwich Bulletin - November 29th, 2020
- Amazing Cultivation Simulator blends Taoist philosophy with Dwarf Fortress - PCGamesN - November 29th, 2020
- The myth of the apple - Evangelical Focus - November 29th, 2020
- Diego Maradona did 'everything better and bigger, but fell more dangerously and darker' - WDJT - November 29th, 2020
- Maradona flew and fell. It is why we loved him - The Straits Times - November 29th, 2020
- #ComicBytes: The comic book origin of Nick Fury | NewsBytes - NewsBytes - November 29th, 2020
- Never Seen Before Tolkien Works Will Be Published In 2021 - Unreserved Media - November 29th, 2020
- New Lord Of The Rings Book Announced, Will Reveal Who Can Grow Beards - GameSpot - November 29th, 2020
- Reminiscing grandmother during days of coronavirus - Hurriyet Daily News - November 29th, 2020
- Sean Connery: Bond and superstar - Frontline - November 29th, 2020
- Divock Origi has gone from unstoppable to invisible - Rousing the Kop - November 29th, 2020
- A Year of Free Comics: Immortality isnt all that it seems in LIVE FOREVER - Comics Beat - August 26th, 2020
- Under Ben Bulben: Neymar And A Saga Of Resurrection And Immortality - World Football Index - August 26th, 2020
- Rick and Morty plot hole: Rick's ride on the Whirly Dirly creates huge immortality blunder - Express - August 26th, 2020
- Sleeps With Monsters: Into the Woods With Emily Tesh and Carrie Vaughn - tor.com - August 26th, 2020
- Emily Dickinson is the unlikely hero of our time - Fairfield Citizen - August 26th, 2020
- Doom Patrol Leaves the Fate of the Whole Team Up in the Air | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - August 26th, 2020
- Parenting in a pandemic? Your teen is counting on you more than ever - Your Valley - August 26th, 2020
- ALLEN IVERSON PAYS TRIBUTE TO KOBE Greatness needs company, and we needed each other. - Basketball Network - August 26th, 2020
- Lovecraft Country: Why the Sons of Adams Ritual Failed | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - August 26th, 2020
- Lord of the Rings: 10 Things That Make No Sense About Orcs - Screen Rant - August 26th, 2020
- Hakuho may be on path to becoming great stablemaster if latest recruit pans out - The Japan Times - August 26th, 2020
- The Unbelievable True Story Of How The Memphis Pyramid Became A Bass Pro Shops - Forbes - August 26th, 2020
- American Horror Story: Every Immortal Character In The Show - Screen Rant - August 20th, 2020
- A look back at the faces of 170 years ago and more - Key West Florida Weekly - August 20th, 2020
- Moussa Dembele and the YouTube obsession that has Celtic icon on verge of Champions League immortality - Daily Record - August 20th, 2020
- Words from the Heart: The Message | Columnists | thesuntimes.com - Heber Springs Sun-Times - August 20th, 2020
- Eagles, the worshipped bird of prey of the ancient civilizations - Egypttoday - August 20th, 2020
- 'Burgh's Best to Wear It, No. 13: From midgets to the NFL, Dan Marino wore lucky number - TribLIVE - August 20th, 2020
- Ashton Kutcher Burned an Original Artwork to Promote a New Blockchain Marketplace Where Art Can (Kind of) Live Forever - artnet News - August 20th, 2020
- Aug. 19, 1951: Before Eddie Gaedel went to the plate, the Post-Dispatch got a heads-up - Houston Herald - August 20th, 2020
- 10 Questions We Have After Watching The Old Guard | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - August 20th, 2020
- Emotional character study 'The Truth' opens at the Ross this Friday - Daily Nebraskan - August 20th, 2020
- Astrology 2020: Message of the Day (August 20) - NewsroomPost - August 20th, 2020
- Why This Russian Billionaire Is Creating A Virtual Reality World For Music Festivals And Concerts - Forbes - August 20th, 2020
- Immortality or Bust - Film Threat - July 21st, 2020
- Keanu Reeves New Comic Book Is About An Immortal, But Its Not Autobiographical - Comic Years - July 21st, 2020
- Here's how you can win over 83 years of free Netflix service - Retail News Asia - July 21st, 2020
- Meryl Streep's Funniest Movie Characters and Their Best Moments - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - July 21st, 2020
- A Conversation With Director Gina Prince-Bythewood : 1A - NPR - July 21st, 2020
- ATEMS graduation allows Class of 2020 to rise from the ashes of a broken year - Abilene Reporter-News - July 21st, 2020
- Looking at nature, death, and immortality with a famous poet - McDonough Voice - July 17th, 2020
- The Old Guard: Why Andy Loses Her Immortality | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - July 17th, 2020
- Netflixs The Old Guard: A revolutionary, ancient gay romance - Vox.com - July 17th, 2020
- Rockfield Studios: Where Ozzy, Oasis, Queen and Coldplay took off - BBC News - July 17th, 2020
- American Vampire by Snyder & Albuquerque returns this October with '70s setting and vibe - GamesRadar+ - July 17th, 2020
- The Old Guard ending explained and sequel news - RadioTimes - July 17th, 2020
- Fun, Guns, and Mum: New Stuff to Watch! - Omaha Reader - July 17th, 2020
- Warrior Nun Ending Explained What Happens to Ava and Adriel at the End of Warrior Nun? - Esquire - July 17th, 2020
- The 8 desires of human life and how to fulfill them - Times Now - July 17th, 2020
- Decade's best No. 1: Loyalsock's baseball team won 2013 PIAA Class AA title in one of state's most exciting finals | News, Sports, Jobs - Williamsport... - July 17th, 2020
- The only shame is that Liverpool brilliance will escape history books - Football365.com - July 17th, 2020
- The Old Guard revs up the senses with great action and fascinating story - culturemap.com - July 17th, 2020
- When There is Despair, There Will Be Hate Too. And That's Not a Bad Thing - The Wire - July 17th, 2020
- The Old Guard's New Trailer Dives Into the Painful Side of Immortality - Gizmodo UK - July 6th, 2020
- Charlize Theron in The Old Guard on Netflix: Film Review - Variety - July 6th, 2020
- Doctor Who Theory: How Rassilon Fits Into The Timeless Child Retcon - Screen Rant - July 6th, 2020
- Its Negligence: Young People Hosting Coronavirus Parties, Betting On Who Gets Infected First - CBS Pittsburgh - July 6th, 2020
- Through a Blur of Migratory Birds, Photographer Sankar Sridhar Captures the Rituals of the Yamuna River - Colossal - July 6th, 2020
- Carli Lloyd: I Want Young Players To Be Inspired By My Journey - Forbes - July 6th, 2020
- Altered Carbon Season 3 : Release Date, Cast, Plot And Other News - Auto Freak - July 6th, 2020
- Madhya Pradeshs new cabinet shows that a slow Congressisation of the BJP is happening - ThePrint - July 6th, 2020
- Batman Beyond Just Brought The Future [SPOILER] Back To Life - Screen Rant - July 6th, 2020
- A battle to defend the soul of football: How Spain achieved immortality at the 2010 World Cup - The Independent - June 17th, 2020
- Dream Team missed date with immortality - The Herald - June 17th, 2020
- Virtual U.S. Open: Palmer, Boros and other challengers - Pro Golf Now - June 17th, 2020
- Health benefits of giloy juice and easy kadha recipes - Times of India - June 17th, 2020
- Where do you want Liverpool to win Premier League title and what do you predict will happen? - Liverpool Echo - June 17th, 2020
- Stephen King Has a Friday the 13th Book He Wants to Write About Jason Voorhees - MovieWeb - June 17th, 2020
- Star Wars Just Wiped Darth Plagueis Backstory From Continuity - We Got This Covered - June 17th, 2020
- Bravery in service of the US | Keizertimes | You think you know. To be sure, read Keizertimes. - Keizertimes - June 17th, 2020
- The Afterlife of George Floyd: A Portfolio by Photographer Eli Reed - The Cut - June 17th, 2020
- American Horror Story: Every Character Who Became The Supreme - Screen Rant - June 17th, 2020
- Why is the 2000s the PBA's forgotten decade? - ESPN - June 17th, 2020
- Guardian: The Lonely and Great God Season 2 What Is The Status Of Renewal? And Is It Cancelled? - Pop Culture Times - June 17th, 2020