People like The Mandalorian, but people love Baby Yoda. The tiny, heartbreakingly beautiful, puppet in Disney Plus flagship Star Wars show is the object of awwwws across the internet, and the clear breakout star.
But the shows timeline, and how it fits into the Star Wars universe, means that the name weve come to be calling him isnt accurate. Its not probably Baby Yoda but does that mean its not Baby Yoda.
Lets break it down why The Mandalorians big mystery might be a little confusing to viewers who arent devoting hours to EU content and Wookieepedia.
The Mandalorian picks up five years after the events of Return of the Jedi and 25 years before The Force Awakens. This puts it around the time of the rise to power of the First Order, the main antagonists from the new trilogy. In fact, the First Order could even be connected to Warner Herzogs The Client character, who sends The Mandalorian on his mission to find Baby Yoda to begin with.
But what exactly does this mean for Baby Yoda?
In Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, Yoda is about 900 years old. (When 900 years old, you reach look as good, you will not!) That means hes the same age when he dies shortly after training Luke. We later see him appear as a Force ghost, letting us know that he has indeed passed on from the realm of the living.
The Mandalorian is set somewhere around 9 ABY (After the Battle of Yavin), which after cross-checking with various Star Wars timeline resources, puts it about six years after Yodas introduction in Empire. Since we know The Asset (Baby Yoda) is 50 years old in the show, well assume it was born 41 BBY (Before the Battle of Yavin) which also happens to be the birth year of Anakin Skywalker. So, Baby Yoda isnt Baby Yoda, since regular Yoda would have been very much alive at that time. There are a few other possibilities.
Lets talk about Yaddle. One of the most intriguing and mysterious of the additions to Star Wars canon from the prequel films, Yaddle was a Jedi Master and sat on the Jedi council. She was a female member of Yodas species, and until The Asset showed up, the only other member wed seen. So, were forced to ask: is Baby Yoda the child of Yoda and Yaddle?
If true, it would change the way we have to view Yoda. It would mean that he, like Anakin, had broken his Jedi vows, and even more importantly, that he just shipped his kid off to The Outer Rim almost 10 years before The Phantom Menace even started. On the other hand, since Yoda and Yaddle are both extremely Force sensitive, it explains where Baby Yodas fantastical Force powers came from.
This is where things get a little weird. In theory, Baby Yoda could be a clone of Yoda. We know cloning technology exists, thanks to Kamino and the clone army. The reasoning behind this cloning would be a little more hazy. Is it possible Yoda had himself cloned, so that he could help out in the future?
Or, was it Emperor Palpatine who cloned Yoda in hopes of making himself a highly powerful apprentice. In the expanded universe books, which are now part of the Star Wars Legends story and no longer canon, we know that Palpatine had an affinity for cloning and cloned himself many times.
While some of these theories may be a little out there, its important to remember that we dont necessarily have to stop calling The Asset Baby Yoda, but the better guess is that its just a new character of the same species. Still, The Clients crony Dr. Pershing did look like he was wearing Kamino paraphernalia in the premiere...
Read the rest here:
- Why we still haven't cloned humans it's not just ethics - Business Insider - Business Insider - July 8th, 2020
- Global Voice Cloning Market 2025 Expected to reach HIghest CAGR : IBM, Google, Lyrebird, Nuance Communications, Baidu, Microsoft - 3rd Watch News - July 8th, 2020
- MSP Gail Ross victim of online identify theft - Northern Times - July 8th, 2020
- Hard Drive Cloning Software Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 8th, 2020
- It's Time to Rethink How You Handle Cloning Out Distractions - Fstoppers - July 5th, 2020
- The best sci-fi movies about cloning - Looper - July 5th, 2020
- Hard Drive Cloning Software Market Next Big Thing | Major Giants: Acronis, Symantec, Microsoft, Paramount Software - 3rd Watch News - July 5th, 2020
- Thieves cloning ATM cards to steal cash | Local News | times-news.com - Cumberland Times-News - June 20th, 2020
- Stranger Things Season 4 Theory: The Jim Hopper In Russia Is A CLONE - Screen Rant - June 17th, 2020
- 'Stranger Things' Season 4 theory suggests Hopper clone - International Business Times UK - June 17th, 2020
- Voice Cloning Market Competitive Analysis and Forecast 2018-2028 - Cole of Duty - June 1st, 2020
- Developing Qt5 applications natively on Wind River Linux - WIND - June 1st, 2020
- cloning | Definition, Process, & Types | Britannica - May 11th, 2020
- Cloning Fact Sheet | NHGRI - Genome.gov - May 11th, 2020
- A 'Star Wars' Fan Explained How the Palpatine Clone Was Teased Long Before 'The Rise of Skywalker' - Esquire - May 11th, 2020
- Coronavirus clone from Switzerland goes 'viral' - Innovation Origins - May 11th, 2020
- Chinas scientists accused of playing God by creating monstrous cloned apes and primates with human organs - The Sun - May 11th, 2020
- Hard Drive Cloning Software Market Research Growth by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast Analysis to 2025 - Express Journal - May 11th, 2020
- Measuring the Impact: Demand for Disk Cloning Imaging Software Product Augmented by Global Outbreak of COVID-330 - 3rd Watch News - May 11th, 2020
- This self-cloning crayfish is scuttling into rivers and streams throughout Alberta - CBC.ca - April 29th, 2020
- Global Voice Cloning Market Professional Survey 2020 by Manufacturers, Regions, Types and Applications, Forecast to 2024 - Latest Herald - April 29th, 2020
- Bored of Zoom Meetings? Build a Digital Clone to Attend for You - Voicebot.ai - April 11th, 2020
- Scientists who cloned Dolly the sheep 'in talks over coronavirus treatment' - Metro.co.uk - April 11th, 2020
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons item cloning exploit lets devious players rake in the Bells - Eurogamer.net - March 24th, 2020
- Hard Drive Cloning Software Market Segmentation and Analysis by Recent Trends, Development and Growth by Regions to 2025 - Express Journal - March 24th, 2020
- I would clone my dog and Im not ashamed to admit it - The Guardian - March 5th, 2020
- 'Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker' Novelization Reveals Rey's Father is a Failed Palpatine Clone - /FILM - March 5th, 2020
- Send In The Clones - Escalon Times - March 5th, 2020
- Cheque cloning in Kochi: How north Indian racket scammed banks of Rs 2.6 cr - THE WEEK - March 5th, 2020
- Spy vs Spy: cloned phones, break-ins and rogue agents all in a days work at the State Security central - Daily Maverick - March 5th, 2020
- Phish Sends In The Clones As They Float Above MSG, Rescue Squad Saves Trey On NYE [Photos/Videos] - Live for Live Music - January 6th, 2020
- Using ETF clones to save on fees - InvestmentNews - January 6th, 2020
- Don't throw food in the trash in Vermont, or ask about salary history in New Jersey. Here are 7 state law changes for 2020 - USA TODAY - December 28th, 2019
- What a time to be alive: Reproductive breakthroughs of the 2010s that changed life as we know it - FOX 10 News Phoenix - December 28th, 2019
- The Mandalorian fans think episode 5 ending teases Boba Fettheres why - Polygon - December 13th, 2019
- DNA Embedded Into Everyday Objects Creates Perfect Clones of the Stanford Bunny - Nature World News - December 13th, 2019
- Dead dogs and cats cloned by grieving owners to have a piece of them back' - Daily Star - December 13th, 2019
- Huge Outlay on Voice Cloning Market Growth Analysis and Forecasting with Major Players are Baidu Inc, Google LLC, Lyrebird.ai, iSpeech AG, VivoText... - December 13th, 2019
- Master the art of face swapping with OpenCV and Python by Sylwek Brzczkowski, developer at TrustStamp - Packt Hub - December 13th, 2019
- In the digital age fraudsters dupe AIIMS of 12 crore by cloning cheques and signatures - National Herald - November 30th, 2019
- How The Mandalorian could unravel The Rise of Skywalkers biggest mysteries - Digital Trends - November 30th, 2019
- 'Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker': This 'Mandalorian' Baby Yoda Fan Theory Could Explain Everything - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 30th, 2019
- Behind the Mask: Theories and Analysis for Watchmen S1E5 - 25YearsLaterSite.com - November 23rd, 2019
- 'Star Wars 9' theory: 'Mandalorian' cloning could retcon Rey's origins - Inverse - November 17th, 2019
- 'Watchmen': How Lady Trieu May Connect to Ozymandias's Clone Factory - Decider - November 17th, 2019
- The Mandalorian: Did Dr. Pershings patch give away his intentions? - Dork Side of the Force - November 17th, 2019
- Star Wars Theory: The Mandalorians Baby Yoda Is A Clone - Screen Rant - November 17th, 2019
- Facebook on the Road to Copy Instagram: Popular Photos in the Making - Digital Information World - November 17th, 2019
- Rick and Morty: Operation Phoenix Is the Universe's Most Dangerous Weapon - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 17th, 2019
- The Star Wars movies debrief: Attack Of The Clones recap, legacy and best bits - Den of Geek UK - November 14th, 2019
- INDIA Indian doctor: Medical innovation should not try to replace the Creator - AsiaNews - November 14th, 2019
- The Mandalorian Hints at the Return of Kamino Cloning | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 14th, 2019
- Here's a The Mandalorian Clone Theory and What It Could Mean - /FILM - November 14th, 2019
- Voice Cloning Market Industry Insights, Top Trends, Drivers, Growth and Forecast to 2028 - Downey Magazine - November 14th, 2019
- Facebook Tried to Acquire Musical.ly For Six Months In 2016 - Digital Music News - November 14th, 2019
- Is tissue culture the future of growing cannabis? - Leafly - November 14th, 2019
- Browns Odell Beckham Jr. said it was his dream to be teammates with Tom Brady - The Boston Globe - October 24th, 2019
- Aliens Already Invaded Earth With Tiny Probes, New Study Claims - International Business Times - October 24th, 2019
- The future of tequila: How clones, bats and biodiversity will help agave survive - The Dallas Morning News - October 22nd, 2019
- Tom Brady and Bob Kraft get the last laugh with quarterbacks cameo in Netflix series - The Boston Globe - October 22nd, 2019
- Living With Yourself Finale Recap: Me, Myself, and You - Vulture - October 20th, 2019
- Muskegon-area Week 8 football picks: With 2 blockbusters, cloning is appealing - MLive.com - October 20th, 2019
- Eminem 'cloned' conspiracy explodes after rapper releases track 'exposing theory' - Daily Star - October 20th, 2019
- Apple Card user says they were a victim of fraud despite never using their physical card - iMore - October 20th, 2019
- Intact Genomics Awarded the Patent of Fungal Artificial Chromosome Technologies - Suburban Journals - September 26th, 2019
- 'Star Wars 9' theory explains Snoke, Rey, and Palps return all at once - Inverse - September 26th, 2019
- Number plate cloning how you could get stung - RACQ Live - August 25th, 2017
- Crooks cloning number plates to lump innocent drivers with fines - 9news.com.au - August 25th, 2017
- Three arrested in Uttarakhand for withdrawing Rs 37 lakh by cloning ... - The New Indian Express - August 25th, 2017
- Cloning Couture | Exploring the world of couture sewing - August 20th, 2017
- Cloning of debit, credit cards: Key accused held, search on for 4 ... - The Indian Express - August 20th, 2017
- Ghana national held for withdrawing money by cloning ATM cards - India Today - August 18th, 2017
- Physicists measure complementary properties using quantum clones - Phys.Org - August 16th, 2017
- Nigerian held for duping Delhiites by cloning cards at ATMs | Delhi ... - Times of India - August 16th, 2017
- Disgraced Korean scientist Hwang Woo-suk loses legal battle over mammoth cloning tech - The Korea Herald - August 15th, 2017
- 'Card cloning' device puts key card entry at risk - WTHR - August 15th, 2017
- Using 'tap and go' will protect against fraud through 'ghost' EFTPOS terminals, police say - ABC Online - August 15th, 2017
- CRISPR-Cleaned Piglets Have Been Cloned for Organ Donation - Big Think - August 15th, 2017
- Fast facts about cloning - WPSD Local 6: Your news, weather, and sports authority - WPSD Local 6 - August 13th, 2017
- China's cloning of genetically modified dogs for research raises concerns - SBS - August 13th, 2017