With Minority Leader Mitch McConnell announcing his opposition to the creation of a bipartisan commission to investigate the January 6 attack on the US Capitol, prospects for Senate passage of the recent House bill creating such a commission appear slim.
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi should follow through on her willingness to create a select committee in the House to conduct a full and professional investigation of the January 6 insurrection instead. And she should do so quickly.
The model for this panel should be the select committee that investigated the Iran-Contra affair.
In January 1987, the House decided to launch an investigation into the most significant presidential scandal since Watergate. Given the magnitude of the investigation and the importance of bringing it to a quick conclusion, the House select committee was given legal powers beyond the usual norms of congressional oversight.
The chair of the select committee had full authority to issue subpoenas, compelling the production of documents and witnesses with the force of law. The committee also took the unusual step of conducting some 250 depositions -- sworn testimony under oath -- by its staff attorneys. Since the staff was comprised largely of former prosecutors, the witness testimony was analogous to a grand jury inquiry.
During the course of depositions, some witnesses asserted their Fifth Amendment privilege against self-incrimination. The committee, therefore, had the power to seek compulsion of testimony over Fifth Amendment objections by obtaining a court order immunizing a witness against the use of compelled testimony.
Only after having completed its investigative phase did the select committee hold 40 days of public hearings, with 29 witnesses testifying over the course of three months.
I served on the committee as counsel from its inception to its close. Our chair was Congressman Lee Hamilton, a Democrat, who insisted on the highest standards, and specifically that counsel conduct full and professional questioning of all witnesses before members of Congress had more limited turns. If the House decides to create a select committee to investigate the January 6 insurrection on the Capitol, it should follow his precedent.
Chairman Hamilton also worked diligently to cooperate with the minority Republicans on the select committee, but given the intractable Republican opposition now, Speaker Pelosi should endeavor to only accept the appointment of Republican members, such as Rep. Liz Cheney, committed to a professional investigation.
Republican Sen. Howard Baker, who later served as Ronald Reagan's chief of staff, posed the famous question that animated the Watergate hearings in the Senate: "What did the President know and when did he know it?" Chairman Hamilton told me that we could not perform our duty to the country unless we answered the same question in our investigation of the Iran-Contra scandal.
When it comes to the January 6 insurrection, this Congress must have the same courage and fidelity to the Constitution to ask, what did then-President Donald Trump know and when did he know it?
It took three hours and 19 minutes between the time Capitol Police requested military assistance and the time when the military was finally ordered to respond, according to the testimony of DC National Guard Commanding Maj. Gen. William Walker.
Did former President Trump have any responsibility for the delay? Did he have any advance knowledge of the insurrectionists' plans? Was there any coordination with the rioters beyond the President's public words?
When faced with possible collusion by President Trump, now is not the time for business as usual on Capitol Hill.
A select House committee needs to conduct a thorough and proactive investigation adopting the model of the Iran-Contra select committee. Appoint a staff of experienced former federal prosecutors. Subpoena and depose witnesses under legal compulsion and under oath before even beginning public hearings. Immunize witnesses where necessary but freely and widely.
A well-documented and substantive record of professional fact-finding will help counter any claims of partisanship.
Traditional norms of oversight alone are not enough. Our democracy literally hangs in the balance.
- The Supreme Court Further Expands The Definition Of A Physical - Mondaq News Alerts - August 2nd, 2021
- The Supreme Court Further Expands the Definition of a Physical Taking of Property That Violates Fifth Amendment Protections - JD Supra - August 2nd, 2021
- Judge expected to rule Wednesday whether to charge Mensah in on-duty shooting - WISN Milwaukee - August 2nd, 2021
- Vaccine opponents appear increasingly confused about HIPAA - MSNBC - August 2nd, 2021
- Opinion: Elections are the worst method of picking judges except for all the others - Houston Chronicle - August 2nd, 2021
- FBI and Detroit police taught 'White Boy Rick' the drug game then double-crossed him, he says. Now, he wants $100 million - WDJT - August 2nd, 2021
- Trevor Bauers Hearing Strategy Is A Trial In The Court of Public Opinion - Beyond the Box Score - July 27th, 2021
- Erika Jayne's Husband Thomas Girardi To Plead The Fifth As Part Of Embezzlement Investigation - Radar Online - July 27th, 2021
- Gov. Cuomo: New Yorkers will be shocked when they hear facts of AGs harassment investigation - RochesterFirst - July 27th, 2021
- Fianc of victim in Rodney Reed case testifies, waives right to attorney - KXAN.com - July 27th, 2021
- What Is HIPAA and How Does the Law Work? - The New York Times - July 27th, 2021
- How Sha'Carri Richardson Can Sue Her Way Back Into the Olympics - The Daily Beast - July 27th, 2021
- QUICK BRAG AS I RECOVER FROM THE PALOOZA: Court in NY Says Hunstein Doesnt survive Ramirez and I Told You So - TCPAWorld.com - July 27th, 2021
- Money & the Law: With every rule there seems to be an exception - Denver Gazette - July 18th, 2021
- The Chase County Courthouse is a Kansas icon. The jail in its shadow is a disgrace. - Kansas Reflector - July 18th, 2021
- Gary Pearce: UNC and the debate over dissent - Salisbury Post - Salisbury Post - July 18th, 2021
- This is my land and I plan on keeping it Monroe County families trying to fight TVAs eminent domain - WATE 6 On Your Side - July 18th, 2021
- A Supreme Court ruling that's right out of the 19th century - Raw Story - July 18th, 2021
- What Does Bill Cosbys Overturned Conviction Mean for Your Fifth Amendment Rights Against Self-Incrimination? - JD Supra - July 16th, 2021
- Wisk Submits Evidence Claiming Massive Theft and Archer's Use of Wisk Trade Secrets, as Archer Engineer Pleads the Fifth - PRNewswire - July 16th, 2021
- Give And Take: How The U.S. Supreme Courts Ruling In Cedar Point Nursery v. Hassid May Impact Rhode Islanders Who Own Property Abutting Public Lands -... - July 16th, 2021
- Ink Blog: The Supreme Court & the Constitution in 2021 - Ashland Daily Press - July 16th, 2021
- Man convicted of sex crime on Colo. tribal reservation appeals to SCOTUS - coloradopolitics.com - July 16th, 2021
- Federal Circuit Reverses CIT's Decision on the President's Ability to Modify Section 232 Tariffs - Lexology - July 16th, 2021
- Letter to the editor: Property rights should be considered human rights - The Bozeman Daily Chronicle - July 16th, 2021
- GARY PEARCE: UNC and the debate over dissent - WRAL.com - July 16th, 2021
- NCLA Appeals to First Circuit Over IRSs Unlawfully Seizing Cryptocurrency Data of Thousands - Yahoo Finance - July 16th, 2021
- What the US Government Brief Should Have Said in Al-Hela: On Guantanamo and Due Process - Just Security - July 16th, 2021
- Update On Union Access To Property - Employment and HR - United States - Mondaq News Alerts - July 16th, 2021
- The Right To Be Let Alone: What To Do When COVID Strike Force Teams Come Knocking OpEd - Eurasia Review - July 16th, 2021
- Kristin Smart's accused killer Paul Flores' charges amended to include two allegations of rape in LA - Californianewstimes.com - July 16th, 2021
- Cosby case rips open wounds that just won't heal. Here's why. - York Daily Record - July 16th, 2021
- Norris Burkes: The case of the stolen freedoms - Charleston Post Courier - July 5th, 2021
- Why was Bill Cosby released from prison after being found guilty of drugging and molesting woman? - MassLive.com - July 5th, 2021
- Pennsylvania court was right to overturn Cosbys conviction - Los Angeles Times - July 2nd, 2021
- Bruce Castor, before and after Cosby: Trump, insurrection, and Katheleen Kane - On top of Philly news - Billy Penn - July 2nd, 2021
- Where's Lucy? Sham teen marriage and felony charges featured in case of missing St. Charles County girl - KSDK.com - July 2nd, 2021
- A lawyer for Ghislaine Maxwell says she should be set free like Bill Cosby was, but legal experts say that's highly unlikely - Yahoo News - July 2nd, 2021
- EXPLAINER: Why Bill Cosbys conviction was overturned - WKRG News 5 - July 2nd, 2021
- The Courts and Healthcare Policy - July 2021 | McGuireWoods Consulting - JDSupra - JD Supra - July 2nd, 2021
- Letter: Where is our Fifth Amendment? | Letters To Editor | berkshireeagle.com - Berkshire Eagle - June 28th, 2021
- Joe Biden and the Blessed Sacrament | Napolitano - New Jersey Herald - June 28th, 2021
- Recapping Wednesday's Cases, and Predicting the Remaining 8 Cases - Reason - June 28th, 2021
- Supreme Court Finds Fifth Amendment Taking in State Regulation Granting Access to Private Property - JD Supra - June 27th, 2021
- Villager's son wants judge yanked from case in legal fight over mask mandate - Villages-News - June 27th, 2021
- Biden and the Sacrament | News, Sports, Jobs - Gloversville Leader-Herald - June 27th, 2021
- A Philly man was cleared of murder after 34 years by evidence that was in the police file all along - The Philadelphia Inquirer - June 27th, 2021
- Devin Nunes's Libel Lawyering, Employee Witnesses, and the Privilege Against Self-Incrimination - Reason - June 20th, 2021
- American Samoans are the latest victims of these ignorant Supreme Court rulings - MSNBC - June 20th, 2021
- Critical race theory has proved divisive. What is it? - theday.com - June 20th, 2021
- Murder Defendant Martin Takes the Stand on His Defense - wkdzradio.com - June 20th, 2021
- Gov. Abbott Vowed to Build a Wall With Mexico. Texas Borderland Owners Say Not in My Backyard - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth - June 20th, 2021
- Prosecution rests in 2nd trial of officers accused of assaulting Black colleague by again focusing on texts - KSDK.com - June 20th, 2021
- NCLA Lawsuit in Texas Seeks to End SEC's Lifetime Gag Orders that Violate the First Amendment - StreetInsider.com - June 20th, 2021
- In His Wild Bid to Stop Leaks to the Press, Trump Even Spied on His Own Lawyer - Truthout - June 20th, 2021
- Paul Robeson Was One of the Greatest Figures of the 20th Century - Jacobin magazine - June 20th, 2021
- Lorraine Reich: It's more than corporate money in elections - The Union of Grass Valley - June 4th, 2021
- Pharma Bro Martin Shkreli Gets a Slap on the Wrist for Using Contraband Phone to Discuss Pharma Business Behind Bars - Law & Crime - June 4th, 2021
- The FBI Took Their Safe Deposit Box and Everything Inside It. Two Months Later, They're Still Waiting for It To Be Returned. - Reason - June 4th, 2021
- Imprisoned Felon Martin Shkreli Busted For Using Contraband Phone To Discuss Pharma Business With Associates Following Daraprim Scandal - Radar Online - June 4th, 2021
- Citing privacy concerns, Huntsville wont explain why convicted officer is still employed - AL.com - June 4th, 2021
- Trial starts for two men charged in the murder of 8-year-old King William child - 8News - May 27th, 2021
- How to Remember the Difference Between Invoke and Evoke - Lifehacker - May 27th, 2021
- Notable investigations, trials and dates ahead 1 year after George Floyds death - NewsNation Now - May 27th, 2021
- AG's Move to Criminal Probe Is a Red Alert for the Trump Org - The Daily Beast - May 27th, 2021
- Drivers Beware: The Deadly Perils of Blank Check Traffic Stops - John Whitehead's Commentary Drivers Beware: The Deadly Perils of Blank Check Traffic... - May 27th, 2021
- Trump Judge Casts Deciding Vote to Excuse Clear Violation by Police of Black Man's Fifth Amendment Rights: Confirmed Judges, Confirmed Fears - People... - May 11th, 2021
- If the Devil of the WTO IP Waiver Is in the Details, What Are the Details? - JD Supra - May 11th, 2021
- Owens v. Brown: How The Navy's Women Won the Right to Serve at Sea - The Maritime Executive - May 11th, 2021
- Why Is the Justice Department Trying To Punish Derek Chauvin Twice? - Reason - May 11th, 2021
- Voice of the People | | hastingstribune.com - Hastings Tribune - May 11th, 2021
- Frontenacs to pick fifth overall in OHL Priority Selection - The Kingston Whig-Standard - May 11th, 2021
- Trial hits snag for convicted murderer charged in another deadly Youngstown shooting - WKBN.com - April 29th, 2021
- Convention of states blocked in Legislature | netnebraska.org - NET Nebraska - April 29th, 2021
- Derek Chauvin Trial: Updates The Spectator - The Spectator - April 29th, 2021
- Morries Hall and the right not to incriminate yourself (Fifth Amendment) - MSR News Online - April 11th, 2021
- Man who was with George Floyd during his arrest pleads the Fifth amid Chauvin trial - KARE11.com - April 11th, 2021
- Floyd's Friend Invokes 5th Amendment Before Testimony Resumes in Chauvin Trial - Voice Of Alexandria - April 11th, 2021
- Officers take the stand on training and protocol; Floyd's friend fears self-incrimination - WXOW.com - April 11th, 2021
- Today's Headlines and Commentary - Lawfare - Lawfare - April 11th, 2021