Students in U.S. high schools can get free digital access to The New York Times until Sept. 1, 2021.
Do you think old technology is cool? Do you appreciate vinyl records, for example, or Polaroid cameras? Eight-track tapes or printed newspapers? What do you find appealing about these items that our modern world has already made or may still make obsolete?
In the 2016 article Why Vinyl Records and Other Old Technologies Die Hard, Nick Bilton wrote:
For a glimpse of what teenagers are into these days, all you have to do is visit Abbot Kinney Boulevard in the Venice neighborhood of Los Angeles. On weekend nights, the half-mile shopping drag is packed with style-conscious kids who traipse past coffee shops, ice cream parlors and boutiques, often while taking selfies.
Yet one of the most popular destinations for these teenagers is a white, single-story building with big pink letters on the roof that spell Vnyl. The store sells vinyl records, and the kids who gather there are often in awe.
Id say half of the teens who hang out in my store have never seen a record player before, said Nick Alt, the founder of Vnyl. They will walk up to the turntable, and they have no concept where to put the needle. But once they figure out that the needle goes into the outermost groove, those smartphone-toting teenagers are hooked.
In a Style article from this past weekend, Hannah Selinger writes about the demand for old VHS tapes:
The last VCR, according to Dave Rodriguez, 33, a digital repository librarian at Florida State University in Tallahassee, Fla., was produced in 2016, by the Funai Electric in Osaka, Japan. But the VHS tape itself may be immortal. Today, a robust marketplace exists, both virtually and in real life, for this ephemera.
On Instagram, sellers tout videos for sale, like the 2003 Jerry Bruckheimer film Kangaroo Jack, a comedy involving a beauty salon owner played by Jerry OConnell and a kangaroo. Asking price? $190. (Mr. OConnell commented on the post from his personal account, writing, Hold steady. Price seems fair. It is a Classic.)
If $190 feels outrageous for a film about a kangaroo accidentally coming into money, consider the price of a limited-edition copy of the 1989 Disney film The Little Mermaid, which is listed on Etsy for $45,000.
The article explains why VHS tapes are special to the people who collect them:
Anything that you can think of is on VHS tape, because, youve got to think, it was a revolutionary piece of the media, said Josh Schafer, 35, of Raleigh, N.C., a founder and the editor in chief of Lunchmeat Magazine and LunchmeatVHS.com, which are dedicated to the appreciation and preservation of VHS. It was a way for everyone to capture something and then put it out there.
There is, Mr. Schafer said, just so much culture packed into VHS, from reels depicting family gatherings to movies that just never made the jump to DVD. Mr. Schafer owns a few thousand tapes himself, and his collection, he said, includes a little bit of everything, including other peoples home videos.
Michael Myerz, 29, an experimental hip-hop artist in Atlanta, who has a modest collection of VHS tapes, finds the medium inspirational. Some of what Mr. Myerz seeks in his work, he said, is to replicate the sounds from some weird, obscure movie on VHS I would have seen at my friends house, late at night, after his parents were asleep. He described his work as mid-lo-fi. The quality feels raw but warm and full of flavor, he said of VHS.
For collectors like April Bleakney, 35, the owner and artist of Ape Made, a fine art and screen-printing company in Cleveland, nostalgia plays a significant role in collecting. Ms. Bleakney, who has between 2,400 to 2,500 VHS tapes, views them as a byway connecting her with the past. She inherited some of them from her grandmother, a childrens librarian with a vast collection.
Ms. Bleakneys VHS tapes are huge nostalgia, she said, for a child of the 1980s. I think we were the last to grow up without the internet, cellphones or social media, and clinging to the old analog ways, she said, feels very natural.
Students, read both articles, then tell us:
What technologies from the past hold the most interest for you? Why?
Why do you think there is still so much interest in obsolete technologies like Polaroid instant cameras, record players, Atari game systems or VHS tapes?
Would you ever want to collect old tech like vinyl records or CDs? Why or why not?
In your opinion, what old technologies are likely to make the biggest comeback in the future? Why?
The two articles discuss the role that nostalgia plays for many collectors. Do you think you might be nostalgic for any technology from your own childhood in 20, 40 or 60 years? What tech, and why?
In your opinion, which is better: todays technology or that of the past? Why? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?
About Student Opinion
Find all of our Student Opinion questions in this column. Have an idea for a Student Opinion question? Tell us about it. Learn more about how to use our free daily writing prompts for remote learning.
Students 13 and older in the United States and the United Kingdom, and 16 and older elsewhere, are invited to comment. All comments are moderated by the Learning Network staff, but please keep in mind that once your comment is accepted, it will be made public.
- Techlash continues to batter technology sector - Brookings Institution - April 2nd, 2021
- CodeCrew students honored for their work in the technology field - WREG NewsChannel 3 - April 2nd, 2021
- Technology And The Future Of Work In Finance: A Q&A With Paychexs CFO - Forbes - April 2nd, 2021
- Options Technology Announces Acquisition of Fixnetix from DXC Technology - Business Wire - April 2nd, 2021
- Wireless Gigabit Market with COVID-19 impact by Product, Technology, Protocol, End-use and Geography - Global Forecast to 2026 - PRNewswire - April 2nd, 2021
- Europe's chance to lead the green technology race - Financial Times - April 2nd, 2021
- We need to strengthen and accelerate US science and technology progress | TheHill - The Hill - April 2nd, 2021
- Beauty filters are changing the way young girls see themselves - MIT Technology Review - April 2nd, 2021
- Silicon Valley startup invents 'groundbreaking' new technology that could change the way we travel - Greater Greater Washington - April 2nd, 2021
- COVID-19 Has Forced an Evolution of Campus Safety Technology - Campus Safety - Campus Safety Magazine - April 2nd, 2021
- Revolutionary Technology Upgrades to the School of Music - The UCLA Herb Alpert School of Music - UCLA Herb Alpert School of Music - April 2nd, 2021
- TerraLithium Receives Affirmation of Patents for Foundational Lithium Production Processes and Technologies - PRNewswire - April 2nd, 2021
- Align Technology to Announce First Quarter 2021 Results on April 28, 2021 - Yahoo Finance - April 2nd, 2021
- Stocks making the biggest moves in the premarket: J&J, Emergent BioSolutions, Micron Technology & more - CNBC - April 2nd, 2021
- ST Equipment & Technology Teams with Salt River Materials Group on Fly Ash Recycling System - PRNewswire - April 2nd, 2021
- Honeywell To Provide Critical Navigation And Sensor Technology For Pipistrel's Unmanned Cargo Aircraft - PRNewswire - April 2nd, 2021
- Vellore Institute of Technology team electrifies houses in rural Karnataka - The Hindu - April 2nd, 2021
- Aerospace Robotics Market Research Report by Type, by Technology, by Operation - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of COVID-19 - Yahoo... - April 2nd, 2021
- NASA invests in small business projects to advance technology - Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal - April 2nd, 2021
- Why 3 Analysts Think Micron Technology Stock Is An Attractive Choice - Yahoo Finance - April 2nd, 2021
- How Unity Is Helping Creators Around The World Use Technology To Imagine A Better Future - Forbes - March 31st, 2021
- Wall Street dips, with technology the biggest drag - Reuters - March 31st, 2021
- Technology helps family stay connected to 93-year-old grandfather - NEWS10 ABC - March 31st, 2021
- 'Big Storage' Is the Next Big Technology in the Climate Fight - Bloomberg - March 31st, 2021
- Worldwide Facial Skin Ablative Treatment Industry - by Technology, Application and Demography - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - March 31st, 2021
- The science and technology that can help save the ocean - MIT Technology Review - March 31st, 2021
- DJO Invests in Next-Generation Augmented Reality Technology Primed for ASC Market Growth - Business Wire - March 31st, 2021
- InMobi Dominates MMA SMARTIES MENA 2020 with 15 Awards Including Technology Enabler of the Year and Best in Show - Business Wire - March 31st, 2021
- Healthcare Technology Innovator SSG Rolls Out Digital Platforms to Accelerate the Fight Against COVID-19 - Business Wire - March 31st, 2021
- Juniper Research Named as Top Three Most Influential Analyst House Globally by Telco Technology Buyers - Business Wire - March 31st, 2021
- A Technology Partner Can Help Midsize Businesses Accelerate Digital Transformation - SPONSOR CONTENT FROM DELL TECHNOLOGIES AND INTEL - Harvard... - March 31st, 2021
- Global Automotive Antifreeze Market (2020 to 2027) - by Fluid Type, Technology, Application and Distribution Channel - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - March 31st, 2021
- Investment Opportunities of Big Data Technology in China - Growth, Trends, COVID-19 Impact, and Forecasts 2021-2026 - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - March 31st, 2021
- ST Equipment & Technology Teams with Salt River Materials Group on Fly Ash Recycling System - Yahoo Finance - March 31st, 2021
- 5 Emerging IoT Technologies You Need To Know In 2021 - CRN - March 31st, 2021
- Successive Technologies and Strapi Announces Strategic Partnership - PR Newswire India - March 31st, 2021
- Spotify Technology S.A. to Announce Financial Results for First Quarter 2021 - Business Wire - March 31st, 2021
- Technology, agriculture's friend for the sustainable farms of the future - Euronews - March 31st, 2021
- House panel offers its plan to double NSF budget and create technology directorate - Science Magazine - March 31st, 2021
- Building customer relationships with conversational AI - MIT Technology Review - March 31st, 2021
- TPConnects, the Technology Provider, Announces That Eastern Airlines is Investing in New Distribution Capabilities With IATA's NDC Level 4... - March 31st, 2021
- MetroWest towns and cities working together to offer clean energy technology - MetroWest Daily News - March 31st, 2021
- Vietnam's CamLy Group Founder introduces innovative technology to the global market, adding to her inspirational businesses ventures - Yahoo Finance - March 31st, 2021
- Outlook on the Cell Therapy Global Market to 2027 - by Therapy Type, Product, Technology, Application, End-user and Geography - GlobeNewswire - March 31st, 2021
- Worldwide Aircraft Maintenance Tooling Industry to 2027 - Featuring Farwest Aircraft, Inspection Technologies and Red Box Aviation Among Others -... - March 31st, 2021
- Black graduates 'shut out' of academic science and technology careers - The Guardian - March 29th, 2021
- Global Cloud-based Data Lake Market Technology Progress, Business Opportunities and Analysis 2021 to 2027 | Top Companies Analysis- Amazon Web... - March 29th, 2021
- Governor Lamont Announces Launch of Information Technology Optimization Process Within State Government - CT.gov - March 18th, 2021
- Retalon Announces Breakthrough Application of Deep Learning Technology in Business Specific Predictive Analytics - PRNewswire - March 18th, 2021
- MIT Technology Review Announces EmTech Next 2021 Virtual Conference, June 8-10, hosted in partnership with Harvard Business Review - PRNewswire - March 18th, 2021
- DOD Working With Norway to Develop High-Speed Propulsion Technologies - Department of Defense - March 18th, 2021
- Is Amkor Technology (AMKR) Outperforming Other Computer and Technology Stocks This Year? - Yahoo Finance - March 18th, 2021
- Citizens of the Week: Teens Teach Technology - The Philadelphia Citizen - March 18th, 2021
- Seniors receiving free virtual coaching on learning how to use technology - 13newsnow.com WVEC - March 18th, 2021
- FinFet Technology Market is Anticipated to Touch USD 268.66 Million by 2025 Growing at 40.3% CAGR | Market Research Future (MRFR) - Yahoo Finance - March 18th, 2021
- This BYU facial recognition technology is designed with hackers and accessibility in mind - KSL.com - March 18th, 2021
- Technology IPOs A Meeting of Cultures at the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange - JD Supra - March 18th, 2021
- Transplace Expands Logistics Technology Platform to Europe with its Newest Technology Release and the Opening of an Office in the Netherlands -... - March 18th, 2021
- Quanterix' Simoa Technology Accelerates Critical Plasma Biomarker Research Presented at the 15th International Conference on Parkinson's &... - March 18th, 2021
- Outsourcing Marketing Technology Support To Boost Efficiency and Profits - Part 2 - JD Supra - March 18th, 2021
- Leveraging AI/NLP technology to reduce health inequities and improve patient outcomes - MedCity News - March 18th, 2021
- Bob Bain Productions and Berlin Entertainment Choose TVU Networks' Technology for Seamless, Virtual Production of the 26th Annual Critics Choice... - March 18th, 2021
- First American Data & Analytics Named One of the Most Innovative Technology Companies in Both Mortgage and Real Estate by HousingWire Magazine -... - March 18th, 2021
- Hearing aid makers tackle the technology's 'number one problem' with AI - STAT - March 18th, 2021
- Interstellar disc that blasted by Earth was not alien technology. Heres what it was. - Mahoning Matters - March 18th, 2021
- Dicapta Corporation Accessibility Technology Makes It Possible For DeafBlind Individuals To Watch An Oscar-Nominated Film About Themselves For The... - March 18th, 2021
- Centerville police to crack down on speeding with help from new technology - WHIO Radio - March 18th, 2021
- How Mason City Schools Is Using Technology To Monitor Students' Mental Health - WVXU - March 18th, 2021
- Texas Medical Technology Launches Its Smart iNitrile Device for Putting on Sterile Gloves Easily, Safely, and Automatically - Business Wire - March 18th, 2021
- Insights on the Environmental Remediation Technologies Global Markets to 2025 - by Technology and Industry Application - Yahoo Finance UK - March 18th, 2021
- How HCCC's upgrades will help ensure health of everyone on campus - The Times Telegram - March 18th, 2021
- DataTrace Named One of the Most Innovative Technology Companies in Real Estate by HousingWire Magazine - Business Wire - March 18th, 2021
- SoftServe Wins Best Technology Response at the GSA Professional Awards 2020 - Business Wire - March 18th, 2021
- Nokia Technology To Be Integrated Across AWS, Google And Microsoft Platforms - Yahoo Tech - March 18th, 2021
- Securus Technologies Provides 40 Million Free Phone Calls to Incarcerated Americans Through First Year of COVID-19 Assistance - PRNewswire - March 18th, 2021
- Global Automatic Optical Inspection Market- GPEL Electronic GmbH, Koh Young Technology Inc., Mek Europe BV, Among Others to Contribute to the Market... - March 18th, 2021
- LOral technology incubators Guive Balooch on marrying beauty and tech - Glossy - March 11th, 2021
- Clevertouch by Boxlight Helps to Refresh Technology for The British Academy - Yahoo Finance - March 11th, 2021
- How technology helped Houston fight against the pandemic - InnovationMap - March 11th, 2021
- Global Indoor Farming Technology Markets, 2020-2021 & 2026 - Opportunities in the Development of Innovative and Cost-Effective Technologies &... - March 11th, 2021