Recently, the National Security Act,1980 or 'Rasuka' is imposed in various cases in different states of India. Recently, many offenders are arrested under this law for attacking corona warriors i.e. Doctors, Nurses, housekeeping staff and security personals.
Let us know in this article, what is the National Security Act (NSA), or Rasuka, when is it imposed and what kind of punishment provisions are there under it?
What is the National Security Act, 1980
The National Security Act (NSA) came into existence on 23 September 1980 during Indira Gandhi's government.
The National security Act, empowers the Central Government and State Governments to detain a person to prevent him/her from acting in any manner against the welfare and security of the country, damaging the Indian relations with foreign countries, obstructing the maintenance and supply of essential services to the community.
The suspect can be kept in jail for 12 months without any charge under the NSA. This is the most vital and critical provision of this whole act.
Provisions of the National Security Act, 1980 (NSA)
1. If a person, does not believe in the rule of law, harms the Indian relations with other countries of the world, disrupt the maintenance or supply of public services, attack police personnel on duty and creates the threat to the national security; can be arrested by the concerned government under this act.
Recently, Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh have registered FIR under this act against some anti-social elements.
2. Under NSA, the concerned officer has the power to keep the suspect in captivity for 5 days without assigning any reason while in special circumstances this period can be up to 10 to 12 days. After this, the officer needs the permission of the state government for further detention.
3. The arrested person is not entitled to the aid of any legal practitioner in any matter connected with the proceedings before an advisory board. This panel is constituted by the government for dealing with NSA cases.
4. This law empowers the central government to arrest or expel a foreigner to control his activity.
5. Some people have been booked under Rasuka for misbehaving with doctors, for transferring their corona infection to other healthy people and attacking the police personals in Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, and Delhi.
Imprisonment under the NSA
The National Security Act (NSA), empowers the concerned government to keep a suspect in jail for 12 months without any charge. But this period can be extended if the government finds fresh evidence against the suspect.
If an officer arrests a suspect, he has to explain the reasons to the concerned state government. Until the state government approves this arrest, the maximum period of arrest cannot be more than twelve days.
Keep in mind that arrest orders can be issued by the District Magistrate or Commissioner of Police under their respective jurisdiction.
Chandrashekhar Ravana, the founder of 'Bhim Army', was also arrested under 'Rasuka' and kept in jail for a year but released later on.
Criticism of the National Security Act (Rasuka)
The National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) does not include cases under the NSA in its data because very few FIRs are registered under this law. Therefore, there is no accurate information about the number of arrested persons under this act.
Under this law, a suspect can be arrested without giving any reason and even he/she is not allowed to hire a lawyer for some time. That is why this law is also compared to the British Rowlatt Act. According to many experts, the state governments have also used NSA as 'Extra-Judicial Power'.
So in conclusion, it would be wise to say that a law should be for the people; while people should not be for the law.
List of National Security Advisor in India
Union Territory of Delhi: A snapshot of the Economy
- National Security Agency warns that VPNs could be vulnerable to cyberattacks - CBS News - July 6th, 2020
- NSA warns that VPNs could be vulnerable to cyberattacks - WTOP - July 6th, 2020
- Former American NSA John Bolton says Indias reaction on Balakot airstrike was appropriate - MyNation - July 6th, 2020
- NSA urges Government to stand by UK farmers during trade talks - The Scottish Farmer - June 20th, 2020
- S Africa reaffirms support for India and other members elected to UN Security Council - Outlook India - June 20th, 2020
- Pope welcomes medics from hard-hit Italy region - Outlook India - June 20th, 2020
- How Bill Barr Became Trumps Generalissimo - The Nation - June 18th, 2020
- Police IG, NSA, others, visit Katsina over growing attacks - TV360 - June 18th, 2020
- Watch | 'This Could Be Massive Escalation by China to Fundamentally Alter Status Quo': Former NSA - The Wire - June 18th, 2020
- Dalit houses burnt in Jaunpur: Day after UP CM invoked NSA, SP leader Javed Siddiqui and 34 others held - Times Now - June 18th, 2020
- The Base turns 50, will survive Trump Alice Springs News - Alice Springs News Online - June 18th, 2020
- Pakistan keen to forge long-term partnership with Russia Qureshi to Lavrov - THE WEEK - June 18th, 2020
- ACLU Finds Microsoft Tried To Sell Facial Recognition Software to the DEA - Redmondmag.com - June 18th, 2020
- Russia hopes China, India will resolve border conflict themselves - Outlook India - June 18th, 2020
- Q&A: What is 'unmasking'? - The Southern - May 15th, 2020
- National Intelligence Report Shows The FBI Never Gets Warrants For Its Backdoor Searches Of NSA Collections - Techdirt - May 15th, 2020
- The NSA has Values and Baby Monitors Go Hi-Tech - CTech - May 15th, 2020
- Blame NSA for May 9 Disaster - Referee Wilson Sey, man in centre of the fateful game - GhanaWeb - May 15th, 2020
- A discovered malware sample uses code from the NSA and a Chinese hacking group - CyberScoop - May 11th, 2020
- The NSA Makes Ghidra, a Powerful Cybersecurity Tool, Open ... - May 11th, 2020
- NSA Ajit Doval packs in 3 blunt messages to Pak in daily PoK weather forecast - Hindustan Times - May 11th, 2020
- FISA Surveillance and Possible Reforms Are Back on the Senate's Agenda - Reason - May 11th, 2020
- Photos: Antoinette Terrones over the years | | santamariatimes.com - Santa Maria Times - May 11th, 2020
- NSA welcomes start of trade talks with the US - Darlington and Stockton Times - May 11th, 2020
- Covid-19 different from Tiananmen, China wont be able to tide over crisis: Ex-NSA Menon - ThePrint - May 11th, 2020
- Dismay, confusion over St. Paul Park charter school's impending closure - Bring Me The News - May 11th, 2020
- Shareholders Of National Storage Affiliates Trust (NYSE:NSA) Must Be Happy With Their 174% Total Return - Simply Wall St - May 11th, 2020
- Operation Jackboot: NSA Ajit Dovals brainchild that eliminated Hizbul Mujahideen chief Riyaz Naikoo - Times Now - May 11th, 2020
- NSA Web Shell Advisory and Mitigation Tools Published on GitHub - Computer Business Review - April 24th, 2020
- Odisha to invoke NSA for attacks against doctors and healthcare personnel - Economic Times - April 24th, 2020
- CIA, FBI and NSA justified in view Putin aimed to help Trump: report - Sydney Morning Herald - April 24th, 2020
- The reach of cyberattacks related to Covid-19 - Politico - April 24th, 2020
- Trainee IPS officer tests positive for coronavirus in MP - Outlook India - April 24th, 2020
- Pak Army says it is using all resources to combat coronavirus - Outlook India - April 24th, 2020
- Covid-19: Doctor, police officer attacked in MP village; three accused to be charged with NSA - Scroll.in - April 24th, 2020
- NSA stays connected through closure - The Suffolk News-Herald - Suffolk News-Herald - April 8th, 2020
- NSA Sheep Event and NSA Scotsheep 2020 postponed - Agriland.co.uk - April 8th, 2020
- Cantway and Williams get inducted into the Illinois NSA Hall of Fame - Kankakee Daily Journal - March 5th, 2020
- Joint Statement from DOS, DOJ, DOD, DHS, ODNI, FBI, NSA, and CISA on Preparations for Super Tuesday FBI - Federal Bureau of Investigation - March 5th, 2020
- Ajit Doval's deployment to quell Delhi violence beyond NSA's role; here's why Modi had to rely on his Man... - Firstpost - March 5th, 2020
- US NSA says Indians have friends in America and White House - Economic Times - February 27th, 2020
- 'Inshallah, there will be complete harmony': Ajit Doval's outreach in east Delhi - Hindustan Times - February 27th, 2020
- Former NSA Security Advisor John Bolton Heading to NJ to Address Anti-Semitism by Republicans in Jackson Township - Shore News Magazine - January 25th, 2020
- What happened to Robert Vance on Manifest? NSA director rises from the dead - Monsters and Critics - January 10th, 2020
- US troops forewarned of Iran's missile attack by Iraq and NSA - Infosurhoy - January 10th, 2020
- Jewel v. NSA: On to the Ninth Circuit: 2019 Year in Review - EFF - December 30th, 2019
- NSA O'Brien on North Korea: 'We Have a Lot of Tools in Our Toolkit' - MRCTV - December 30th, 2019
- FISA Court Warned Multiple Times For Years About FISA Abuse and Yet Did Nothing Until Now Proving It's Another Obama Corrupted Institution - The Union... - December 30th, 2019
- Turkish Pro-Government Daily Yeni Akit: 'The "Great Satan" [The U.S.] Is Occupying The World With Bases' - Middle East Media Research... - December 30th, 2019
- The "Right to be Forgotten" doubles back and shoots the shark - Reason - December 3rd, 2019
- TM aims to be the first 5G standalone network in Malaysia - Malay Mail - December 3rd, 2019
- Honor s President Zhao Ming: NSA-Only 5G Phones Will Be Obsolete by Next Year - Gizchina.com - December 3rd, 2019
- 'NCIS': Why the Producers Ended Bishop's Marriage - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 30th, 2019
- NSA Backdoors and Bitcoin (2013) - 101Newsindustry - November 30th, 2019
- The worst cyber attack in DoD history came from a USB drive found in a parking lot - We Are The Mighty - November 30th, 2019
- New scheme to promote the diversity and tastes of sheep meat - Press and Journal - November 30th, 2019
- Edward Snowden says he searched CIA, NSA databases for proof of aliens - New York Post - October 24th, 2019
- EXCLUSIVE Last Punched Tape Crypto Key Rolls off the NSAs Machines - Computer Business Review - October 24th, 2019
- Honor V30 Is Coming in November with 5G SA & NSA support - gizmochina - October 24th, 2019
- Farm groups give cautious welcome to Brexit 'deal' - The Northern Farmer - October 24th, 2019
- Binaries and Brews: Jailbreak Security Summit convenes hackers on NSA's doorstep - CyberScoop - October 17th, 2019
- Facts and Figures of Active Stocks: National Storage Affiliates Trust (NSA) - Stock Trends on Market - October 17th, 2019
- Space conflict will be a bigger challenge in future than nukes, says ex-NSA Narayanan - Liist Studio - October 17th, 2019
- 'Kicking out the adversary' is part of new Cybersecurity Directorate's mission, NSA says - CyberScoop - October 16th, 2019
- The Week That Will Be - Lawfare - October 16th, 2019
- What the Announced NSA / Cyber Command Split Means - August 25th, 2017
- Alleged stalker chops off girl's hand, to face NSA charge - The Hindu - August 25th, 2017
- CIA's secret spy tool helps agency steal data from NSA & FBI, WikiLeaks reveals - RT - August 25th, 2017
- What the Announced NSA / Cyber Command Split Means - Defense One - August 22nd, 2017
- Former NSA official named to M&T board - Buffalo News - August 22nd, 2017
- UP govt to use NSA, Goondas Act to curb power theft, award informers - Hindustan Times - August 22nd, 2017
- Bahrain rights groups accuse National Security Agency of torture - Reuters - August 22nd, 2017
- Trump elevates US Cyber Command, exploring split from NSA - CapitalGazette.com - August 20th, 2017
- Trump elevates Cyber Command, setting the stage for NSA separation - The Verge - August 20th, 2017
- The US Spy Hub in the Heart of Australia - The Intercept - August 20th, 2017
- Accused NSA leaker will get to see classified evidence in her espionage prosecution - The Augusta Chronicle - August 18th, 2017
- Trump Considering a Big Change for US Cyber Command - Fortune - August 18th, 2017
- Muzaffarnagar: NSA against three held under cow slaughter Act - The Indian Express - August 16th, 2017
- Former NSA Official: Dems' Russia Hacking Story Likely Bogus | Fox ... - Fox News Insider - August 15th, 2017
- NSA enforces regulation in bid to restrict Gaurka Singh's participation in multiple events - The Kathmandu Post - August 14th, 2017