On Jan. 6, supporters of President Donald Trump stormed the U.S. Capitol to stop the official counting of the Electoral College vote. What did then-President Trump know, and when did he know it? And how did Trump view the actions of his supporters who overran the Capitol Police?
The answer: Its still murky.
Trumps role came up during an interview of House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., on the April 25 edition of "Fox News Sunday." During the interview, host Chris Wallace repeatedly pressed McCarthy on the nature of a call between Trump and McCarthy while members of the pro-Trump crowd were still in the building.
As we take a closer look at what is known about Trumps actions, well start with what McCarthy told Wallace. Broadly speaking, we found that McCarthys answers are not provably wrong, but they were evasive, inconsistent with his earlier comments, and selectively framed in a flattering way to Trump.
Congress, meanwhile, hasnt been able to put together an official bipartisan inquiry into the storming of the Capitol because of partisan disagreement over its parameters.
In its absence, journalists and the public are left to piece together Trumps role that day from a hodgepodge of unofficial sources.
What McCarthy said on Fox News Sunday
Heres the relevant exchange between McCarthy and Wallace, including screenshots Wallace showed his audience.
Wallace: "During the Trump impeachment in February a Republican congresswoman said this. I want to put it up on the screen. She said that while the Jan. 6th riot was in full force, you phoned President Trump and asked him to call off his supporters. And according to you, she said, the president responded, Well, Kevin, I guess these people are more upset about the election then you are. Is she right? Is that what President Trump said to you?"
McCarthy: "What I talked to President Trump about, I was the first person to contact him when the riot was going on. He didn't see it. What he ended the call was saying telling me, he'll put something out to make sure to stop this. And that's what he did, he put a video out later."
Wallace: "Quite a lot later. And it was a pretty weak video. But I'm asking you specifically, did he say to you, I guess some people are more concerned about the election than you are?"
McCarthy: "No, listen, my conversations with the president are my conversations with the president. I engaged in the idea of making sure we could stop what was going on inside the Capitol at that moment in time. The president said he would help."
McCarthys comments drew attention for what they didnt say, and for the possibility that he was soft-pedaling the contents of his call because Republicans chances of winning back the House in the 2022 midterm elections could depend on how energized Trumps supporters are.
The tone of McCarthys comments also conflicted with his remarks on the House floor on Jan. 13, just a week after the Capitol was breached.
"The president bears responsibility for Wednesdays attack on Congress by mob rioters," McCarthy said. "He should have immediately denounced the mob when he saw what was unfolding. These facts require immediate action by President Trump, (to) accept his share of responsibility, quell the brewing unrest and ensure President-elect Biden is able to successfully begin his term."
What Herrera-Beutler said
McCarthys "Fox News Sunday" comments about Trump contradicted public statements by U.S. Rep. Jaime Herrera-Beutler, reporting by CNN and Trumps tweets on that day.
Back in February, Herrera-Beutler, R-Wash., detailed what McCarthy had told her about his Jan. 6 call with Trump. Heres the key portion of a statement she tweeted on Feb. 12:
"When McCarthy finally reached the president on Jan. 6 and asked him to publicly and forcefully call off the riot, the president initially repeated the falsehood that it was antifa that had breached the Capitol. McCarthy refuted that and told the president that these were Trump supporters. That's when, according to McCarthy, the president said, Well, Kevin, I guess these people are more upset about the election than you are.
"Since I publicly announced my decision to vote for impeachment, I have shared these details in countless conversations with constituents and colleagues, and multiple times through the media and other public forums."
In the "Fox News Sunday" interview, McCarthy didnt directly deny that Trump had said, "Well, Kevin, I guess these people are more upset about the election than you are." But he did sidestep the question, effectively downplaying its significance.
As for McCarthys assertion to Wallace that he and Trump "engaged in the idea of making sure we could stop what was going on inside the Capitol at that moment in time," this is incomplete. According to McCarthys earlier account to Herrera-Beutler, he and Trump argued over whether the rioters were antifa members or Trump supporters.
In addition, McCarthy spotlighted to Wallace that Trump ended the call by saying hed "put something out to make sure to stop" the insurrection. This isnt in conflict with Herrera-Beutlers account, but it does put a much more positive gloss on the conversation.
What CNN reported
An article published by CNN on Feb. 12 provided a bit more detail on the Trump-McCarthy call using anonymous sources.
"A furious McCarthy told the then-president the rioters were breaking into his office through the windows, and asked Trump, Who the f--- do you think you are talking to? according to a Republican lawmaker familiar with the call," CNN reported. The report said that details of the call were "described to CNN by multiple Republicans briefed on it."
The article added that "McCarthy pressed Trump to call off his supporters and engaged in a heated disagreement about who comprised the crowd."
PolitiFact does not use anonymous sources in its reporting, and could not independently confirm this account. But if the CNN report is accurate, McCarthy described a much less contentious conversation during his Fox News interview.
Trumps timeline that day
What about McCarthys portrayal of Trumps actions that day outside of the phone call? Once again, McCarthys account is technically accurate but leaves out context.
McCarthy said Trump "didn't see" the storming of the Capitol
For a president obsessed with cable television, this seems unlikely but its not provably false.
The New York Times reported that, "at some point, Mr. Trump went to the Oval Office and watched news coverage of a situation that was growing increasingly tense."
And then-Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said, citing "public reports," that Trump "watched television happily happily as the chaos unfolded."
But the only public reports we could find were news reports citing anonymous sources, so its impossible to independently verify that McCarthys version is wrong.
Trump "put a video out later" and "said he would help."
McCarthys description here is incomplete.
According to a New York Times timeline published Feb. 13, Trumps motorcade headed back to the White House at 1:19 p.m. after he finished speaking at a pro-Trump rally on the Ellipse. At 2:12 p.m., rioters breached the Capitol, leading Vice President Mike Pence to be rushed off the Senate floor.
At 2:38 p.m., Trump tweeted, "Please support our Capitol Police and Law Enforcement. They are truly on the side of our Country. Stay peaceful!"
At 3:13, he tweeted, "I am asking for everyone at the U.S. Capitol to remain peaceful. No violence! Remember, WE are the Party of Law & Order respect the Law and our great men and women in Blue. Thank you!"
The timeline places the Trump-McCarthy call at "around 3:30 p.m."
At 4:17 p.m., Trump tweeted a video from the Rose Garden in which he said, "I know your pain. I know youre hurt. We had an election that was stolen from us, it was a landslide election, and everyone knows it, especially the other side. But you have to go home now. We have to have peace. We have to have law and order. We have to respect our great people in law and order. We dont want anybody hurt."
At 6:01 p.m. he tweeted, "These are the things and events that happen when a sacred landslide election victory is so unceremoniously & viciously stripped away from great patriots who have been badly & unfairly treated for so long. Go home with love & in peace. Remember this day forever!"
The building was finally secured around 8 p.m. By that time, Trump had as McCarthy said on "Fox News Sunday" put out a video. However, it came more than two hours after the Capitol breach, as violence was continuing.
In addition, Trumps calls in the video to have "peace" and to "go home now" were joined by sympathy for the rioters cause a more mixed message than McCarthy indicated.
Read more here:
- Facebook says Donald Trump to remain banned for two years, effective from Jan. 7 - CNBC - June 6th, 2021
- No, Donald Trump didnt win Texas by a lot in 2020; it was among the worst GOP victory margins in decades - The Dallas Morning News - June 6th, 2021
- Did Donald Trump Wear His Pants Backwards? Kris Kross Memes Have Already Begun - Yahoo Entertainment - June 6th, 2021
- The Confusing Law That Could Shape Trumps Legal Fate - POLITICO - June 6th, 2021
- Republicans fear Trump will lead to a lost generation of talent - POLITICO - June 6th, 2021
- Matt Gaetz, Donald Trump and why obstruction of justice matters - MSNBC - June 6th, 2021
- Donald Trump Jr. joins Cameo | TheHill - The Hill - June 6th, 2021
- Don McGahn's Testimony Could Finally Break Donald Trump's Ability to Evade the Law - The New Republic - June 6th, 2021
- Donald Trump's new blog crashed after he posted an unverified claim about election fraud in Arizona - Business Insider - May 20th, 2021
- What we know about investigations looming over Donald Trump and Trump Organization - USA TODAY - May 20th, 2021
- Donald Trump, coronavirus news & more: Whats trending today - cleveland.com - May 20th, 2021
- Donald Trump flies north for the summer to New Jersey golf club - The Guardian - May 20th, 2021
- Donald Trump Is An Exemplary Tenant, Says His Washington D.C. Landlord - Forbes - May 20th, 2021
- Joe Biden proves an elusive target for Republicans. After Cheney fight, their focus is back on the president - USA TODAY - May 20th, 2021
- Donald Trump Bashes 2020 Presidential Election As 'Crime Of The Century' - HuffPost - May 20th, 2021
- Does Donald Trump Know He Could Be Arrested This Year? - Yahoo Entertainment - May 20th, 2021
- Trumps Social Media Magic Appears to Be Wearing Off - Vanity Fair - May 11th, 2021
- Bennet Wants White House Review Of Trump's Decision To Move Space Command Away From Colorado Springs - Colorado Public Radio - May 11th, 2021
- Mike Pence looks at the 2024 presidential race but sees Donald Trump everywhere - South Bend Tribune - May 11th, 2021
- Glaring Problem With GOP's Trump Obsession. He Doesn't Need Them Anymore - Business Insider - May 11th, 2021
- Is there a Snapple Fact that says that Donald Trump lost? Lid tweet goes viral! - HITC - Football, Gaming, Movies, TV, Music - May 11th, 2021
- The Truth About Melania And Donald Trump's Relationship Today - Nicki Swift - May 11th, 2021
- Donald Trump returns to social media with glorified blog ... - May 9th, 2021
- What will Facebooks ban mean for Donald Trumps future? - Brookings Institution - May 9th, 2021
- Murphy gliding in NJ's primary; GOP wrestling with Trump - Associated Press - May 9th, 2021
- Trump wouldn't be the first ex-president to run again but he might be the last - Salon - May 9th, 2021
- Caitlyn Jenner praises Donald Trump and says she's in favor of building 'the wall' in Sean Hannity interview - Business Insider - May 9th, 2021
- Republicans cry big tech bias on the very platforms they have dominated - The Guardian - May 9th, 2021
- Letters to the editor: Doctor against medical marijuana; readers address Donald Trump's lie, Medicaid expansion - The Topeka Capital-Journal - May 9th, 2021
- Donald Trump's Adult Children Are Still Costing Taxpayers Thousands Of Dollars A Day - HuffPost - May 7th, 2021
- Donald Trump, Facing $590 Million in Debt Payments, Gets ... - May 4th, 2021
- Ted Cruz and Donald Trump Jr. mocked a new CIA recruitment ad in which a staffer identified as a millennial with anxiety - Yahoo News - May 4th, 2021
- Trump launches 'From the desk of Donald J. Trump' as potential Facebook ban looms - USA TODAY - May 4th, 2021
- Opinion | Tucker Carlson Is the New Donald Trump - The New York Times - May 4th, 2021
- Donald Trump relocating to New Jersey to jumpstart ... - April 29th, 2021
- Trumps Battle to Win the First 100 Days - POLITICO - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump makes late push for Susan Wright in special election to fill her late husband's U.S. House seat - The Texas Tribune - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump Seizes On Low Oscars Ratings To Bash Telecast: Dont Be So Politically Correct And Boring - Deadline - April 29th, 2021
- Trump allies fear his 2024 indecision is blowing chance to 'control' GOP: CNN - Business Insider - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump believes he would be on Mount Rushmore if he were a Democrat - Yahoo News - April 29th, 2021
- Its been exactly one year since Trump suggested injecting bleach. Weve never been the same. - POLITICO - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump is turning Arizona into the Area 51 of politics - The Arizona Republic - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump Believes He Would Be On Mount Rushmore If He Ran As A Democrat - OK! - April 29th, 2021
- Trump was pitched on founding a $15 billion 'conservative media powerhouse' called Trump Media Group - Business Insider - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump May Be Returning To Bedminster This Summer: Report - Patch.com - April 29th, 2021
- Court will hear case against Trump on JEDI - FCW.com - April 29th, 2021
- The 1990s card game that predicted 9/11, Donald Trump, Covid and the Capitol riot - Yahoo News - April 29th, 2021
- John McCain's Widow Cindy Blasts Donald Trump As A 'Snake Oil Salesman,' Says He Turned The Republican Party Into A 'Disgrace' - OK! - April 29th, 2021
- Did former President Donald Trump get the COVID vaccine ... - April 27th, 2021
- Susan Wright endorsed by Donald Trump in Texas congressional election - The Texas Tribune - April 27th, 2021
- Hes Going to Say My Name - Slate - April 27th, 2021
- 'He Has Never Spoken The Truth': Twitter Erupts After Donald Trump Claims Wife Melania Never Had Plastic Surgery - OK! - April 27th, 2021
- Trump ally Collins won't run for Senate or Georgia governor - The Associated Press - April 27th, 2021
- Podcast Corner: The Line looks at the actions in Iraq of Donald Trump's favourite Navy Seal - Irish Examiner - April 27th, 2021
- Rachel Maddow Can't Believe Even Lysol Had To Set The World Straight On Donald Trump - HuffPost - April 27th, 2021
- GOP committee ousts treasurer after he admitted to not voting for Trump - Fox17 - April 27th, 2021
- Trump gives thumbs up on Posts push for lifesaving COVID vaccine - New York Post - April 27th, 2021
- Will Donald Trump run for president again, win in 2024? Bet on it - Las Vegas Review-Journal - April 25th, 2021
- Opinion: Donald Trump blazed a trail that clears the way for Joe Biden - Bangor Daily News - April 25th, 2021
- Donald Trump savagely mocked on Twitter over claims Melania had no work done Lying - Daily Express - April 25th, 2021
- Madam Speaker review: how Nancy Pelosi bested Bush and Trump - The Guardian - April 25th, 2021
- People are climbing over Trumps $15 billion border wall with $5 ladders - Business Insider - April 25th, 2021
- Could Donald Trump Jrs crass Die Hard meme on policing inadvertently encourage reform? - The Independent - April 25th, 2021
- National View: Trump loves rallies; so why aren't they all part of the historical record? - Duluth News Tribune - April 25th, 2021
- Letters to the editor: Readers defend the filibuster, call out Donald Trump and show appreciation to volunteers - The Topeka Capital-Journal - April 25th, 2021
- Defeat for Donald Trump and the Republicans: The following lawsuit is dropped - Prudent Press Agency - April 21st, 2021
- Donald Trump is ditching the spray tan, M&M's, and even ... - April 21st, 2021
- 'Beyond seriously:' Donald Trump (again) teases another presidential run in 2024 - USA TODAY - April 21st, 2021
- Foxconn mostly abandons $10 billion Wisconsin project touted by Donald Trump - Moneycontrol - April 21st, 2021
- Will Bill Barr Spill the Beans on Donald Trump? - Vanity Fair - April 21st, 2021
- Letter to the Editor: Americans, stand up against Donald Trump - Canton Repository - April 21st, 2021
- "If Biden Wants To Keep Our Country Safe...": Trump's Advice To Successor - NDTV - April 21st, 2021
- Trump slams Biden over withdrawing troops from Afghanistan on September 11 - Boston Herald - April 21st, 2021
- Mike Lindell pranked on livestream by caller pretending to be Donald Trump - Yahoo News - April 21st, 2021
- What Ever Happened to Donald Trump? - The Atlantic - April 17th, 2021
- Donald Trumps 757 Could Be Worth Millions On The Ground - Forbes - April 17th, 2021
- 10 Things in Politics: Donald Trump ditches his spray tan - Business Insider - April 17th, 2021
- Jake Paul: Donald Trump Jr. promotes Youtuber's fight with Ben Askern - Insider - April 17th, 2021
- Borat Trolls Donald Trump's Election Lies In Never-Before-Seen Footage Teaser - HuffPost - April 17th, 2021
- Donald Trump hit with $1 trillion lawsuit over massive COVID-19 death toll in US - Salon - April 17th, 2021