This undated screen grab shows the cell-division of two fertilized human embryos during the first 24 hours of embryonic development following IVF treatment at a private clinic in London. ( Jim Dyson/Getty Images )
LOS ANGELES - Some of the scientific advancements of the 2010s have been truly mind-blowing, and perhaps none more so than the leaps and bounds weve made in the realm of reproduction.
This was not only the decade in which the first three-parent baby was born, it was the era when a rogue scientist chose to make edits to a set of twin girls DNA, making real the long-imagined scenario of genetically altering human beings while simultaneously thrusting the deeply complicated ethical discussions surrounding this practice into the limelight.
These are the five most life-altering breakthroughs in reproduction from the past decade.
In 2018, Chinese biophysics researcher He Jiankui announced that he had used the gene-editing tool CRISPR to modify the genes of two twin girls before birth. He and his team said that their goal was to make the girls immune to infection by HIV through the elimination of a gene called CCR5.
When the news broke, many mainstream scientists criticized the attempt, calling it too unsafe to try. Where some people saw the potential for a new kind of medical treatment capable of eradicating genetic disease, others saw a window into a dystopian future filled with designer babies and framed by a new kind of eugenics.
At the time, Dr. Kiran Musunuru, a University of Pennsylvania gene-editing expert, said Hes work was unconscionable... an experiment on human beings that is not morally or ethically defensible.
Other experts believe Hes work could propel the field of gene editing forward.
The twins, known as Lulu and Nana, have continued to make headlines since their birth. The gene modification that He claims to have carried out may have caused some unintended mutations in other parts of the genome, which could have unpredictable consequences for their health long term something many scientists who argue against Hes work cite as a reason to hold off on using gene-editing technology on humans.
Only time will tell what will happen to Lulu and Nana and if the edits to their DNA ultimately help or hurt them, but their story pushed the topic of human gene-editing and the ethics surrounding it to the forefront of the global scientific community.
In 2016, a technique called mitochondrial transfer was used successfully for the first time to create a three-parent baby grown from a fathers sperm, a mothers cell nucleus and a third donors egg that had the nucleus removed.
This technique was developed to prevent the transmission of certain genetic disorders through the mothers mitochondria. The majority of a three-parent babys DNA would come from his parents in the form of nuclear DNA, and only a small portion would come from the donor in the form of mitochondrial DNA.
A team led by physician John Zhang at the New Hope Fertility Center in New York City facilitated the birth of the first three-parent baby in April 2016.
Using human pluripotent stem cells, researchers were able to make the precursors of human sperm or eggs. In other words, they reprogrammed skin and blood stem cells to become an early-state version of what would eventually become either sperm or an egg.
"The creation of primordial germ cells is one of the earliest events during early mammalian development," Dr. Naoko Irie, first author of the paper from the Wellcome Trust/Cancer Research UK Gurdon Institute at the University of Cambridge told Science Daily. "It's a stage we've managed to recreate using stem cells from mice and rats, but until now few researches have done this systematically using human stem cells. It has highlighted important differences between embryo development in humans and rodents that may mean findings in mice and rats may not be directly extrapolated to humans."
A 2018 study showed that gene editing can allow two same-sex mice to conceive pups, and two female mice were able to successfully create healthy pups that then went on to reproduce themselves.
A team of researchers at the Chinese Academy of Sciences in Beijing, led by developmental biologist Qi Zhou, were able to use gene editing to produce 29 living mice from two females, seven of which went on to have their own pups. They were able to produce 12 pups from two male parents, but those offspring were not able to live more than two days.Whether or not the method can one day be used in same-sex human reproduction is still up for debate.
For the first time ever, Chinese scientists were able to clone two primates using the technique that produced Dolly the sheep, the first mammal to be cloned from an adult somatic cell via nuclear transfer.
The two cloned female macaques were named Zhong Zhong and Hua Hua, and their successful birth opened up the possibility of using the same cloning method to one day clone humans.
View original post here:
- Why we still haven't cloned humans it's not just ethics - Business Insider - Business Insider - July 8th, 2020
- Global Voice Cloning Market 2025 Expected to reach HIghest CAGR : IBM, Google, Lyrebird, Nuance Communications, Baidu, Microsoft - 3rd Watch News - July 8th, 2020
- MSP Gail Ross victim of online identify theft - Northern Times - July 8th, 2020
- Hard Drive Cloning Software Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 8th, 2020
- It's Time to Rethink How You Handle Cloning Out Distractions - Fstoppers - July 5th, 2020
- The best sci-fi movies about cloning - Looper - July 5th, 2020
- Hard Drive Cloning Software Market Next Big Thing | Major Giants: Acronis, Symantec, Microsoft, Paramount Software - 3rd Watch News - July 5th, 2020
- Thieves cloning ATM cards to steal cash | Local News | times-news.com - Cumberland Times-News - June 20th, 2020
- Stranger Things Season 4 Theory: The Jim Hopper In Russia Is A CLONE - Screen Rant - June 17th, 2020
- 'Stranger Things' Season 4 theory suggests Hopper clone - International Business Times UK - June 17th, 2020
- Voice Cloning Market Competitive Analysis and Forecast 2018-2028 - Cole of Duty - June 1st, 2020
- Developing Qt5 applications natively on Wind River Linux - WIND - June 1st, 2020
- cloning | Definition, Process, & Types | Britannica - May 11th, 2020
- Cloning Fact Sheet | NHGRI - Genome.gov - May 11th, 2020
- A 'Star Wars' Fan Explained How the Palpatine Clone Was Teased Long Before 'The Rise of Skywalker' - Esquire - May 11th, 2020
- Coronavirus clone from Switzerland goes 'viral' - Innovation Origins - May 11th, 2020
- Chinas scientists accused of playing God by creating monstrous cloned apes and primates with human organs - The Sun - May 11th, 2020
- Hard Drive Cloning Software Market Research Growth by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast Analysis to 2025 - Express Journal - May 11th, 2020
- Measuring the Impact: Demand for Disk Cloning Imaging Software Product Augmented by Global Outbreak of COVID-330 - 3rd Watch News - May 11th, 2020
- This self-cloning crayfish is scuttling into rivers and streams throughout Alberta - CBC.ca - April 29th, 2020
- Global Voice Cloning Market Professional Survey 2020 by Manufacturers, Regions, Types and Applications, Forecast to 2024 - Latest Herald - April 29th, 2020
- Bored of Zoom Meetings? Build a Digital Clone to Attend for You - Voicebot.ai - April 11th, 2020
- Scientists who cloned Dolly the sheep 'in talks over coronavirus treatment' - Metro.co.uk - April 11th, 2020
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons item cloning exploit lets devious players rake in the Bells - Eurogamer.net - March 24th, 2020
- Hard Drive Cloning Software Market Segmentation and Analysis by Recent Trends, Development and Growth by Regions to 2025 - Express Journal - March 24th, 2020
- I would clone my dog and Im not ashamed to admit it - The Guardian - March 5th, 2020
- 'Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker' Novelization Reveals Rey's Father is a Failed Palpatine Clone - /FILM - March 5th, 2020
- Send In The Clones - Escalon Times - March 5th, 2020
- Cheque cloning in Kochi: How north Indian racket scammed banks of Rs 2.6 cr - THE WEEK - March 5th, 2020
- Spy vs Spy: cloned phones, break-ins and rogue agents all in a days work at the State Security central - Daily Maverick - March 5th, 2020
- Phish Sends In The Clones As They Float Above MSG, Rescue Squad Saves Trey On NYE [Photos/Videos] - Live for Live Music - January 6th, 2020
- Using ETF clones to save on fees - InvestmentNews - January 6th, 2020
- Don't throw food in the trash in Vermont, or ask about salary history in New Jersey. Here are 7 state law changes for 2020 - USA TODAY - December 28th, 2019
- The Mandalorian fans think episode 5 ending teases Boba Fettheres why - Polygon - December 13th, 2019
- DNA Embedded Into Everyday Objects Creates Perfect Clones of the Stanford Bunny - Nature World News - December 13th, 2019
- Dead dogs and cats cloned by grieving owners to have a piece of them back' - Daily Star - December 13th, 2019
- Huge Outlay on Voice Cloning Market Growth Analysis and Forecasting with Major Players are Baidu Inc, Google LLC, Lyrebird.ai, iSpeech AG, VivoText... - December 13th, 2019
- Master the art of face swapping with OpenCV and Python by Sylwek Brzczkowski, developer at TrustStamp - Packt Hub - December 13th, 2019
- In the digital age fraudsters dupe AIIMS of 12 crore by cloning cheques and signatures - National Herald - November 30th, 2019
- How The Mandalorian could unravel The Rise of Skywalkers biggest mysteries - Digital Trends - November 30th, 2019
- 'Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker': This 'Mandalorian' Baby Yoda Fan Theory Could Explain Everything - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 30th, 2019
- When The Mandalorian takes place and what it means for Baby Yoda - Polygon - November 23rd, 2019
- Behind the Mask: Theories and Analysis for Watchmen S1E5 - 25YearsLaterSite.com - November 23rd, 2019
- 'Star Wars 9' theory: 'Mandalorian' cloning could retcon Rey's origins - Inverse - November 17th, 2019
- 'Watchmen': How Lady Trieu May Connect to Ozymandias's Clone Factory - Decider - November 17th, 2019
- The Mandalorian: Did Dr. Pershings patch give away his intentions? - Dork Side of the Force - November 17th, 2019
- Star Wars Theory: The Mandalorians Baby Yoda Is A Clone - Screen Rant - November 17th, 2019
- Facebook on the Road to Copy Instagram: Popular Photos in the Making - Digital Information World - November 17th, 2019
- Rick and Morty: Operation Phoenix Is the Universe's Most Dangerous Weapon - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 17th, 2019
- The Star Wars movies debrief: Attack Of The Clones recap, legacy and best bits - Den of Geek UK - November 14th, 2019
- INDIA Indian doctor: Medical innovation should not try to replace the Creator - AsiaNews - November 14th, 2019
- The Mandalorian Hints at the Return of Kamino Cloning | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 14th, 2019
- Here's a The Mandalorian Clone Theory and What It Could Mean - /FILM - November 14th, 2019
- Voice Cloning Market Industry Insights, Top Trends, Drivers, Growth and Forecast to 2028 - Downey Magazine - November 14th, 2019
- Facebook Tried to Acquire Musical.ly For Six Months In 2016 - Digital Music News - November 14th, 2019
- Is tissue culture the future of growing cannabis? - Leafly - November 14th, 2019
- Browns Odell Beckham Jr. said it was his dream to be teammates with Tom Brady - The Boston Globe - October 24th, 2019
- Aliens Already Invaded Earth With Tiny Probes, New Study Claims - International Business Times - October 24th, 2019
- The future of tequila: How clones, bats and biodiversity will help agave survive - The Dallas Morning News - October 22nd, 2019
- Tom Brady and Bob Kraft get the last laugh with quarterbacks cameo in Netflix series - The Boston Globe - October 22nd, 2019
- Living With Yourself Finale Recap: Me, Myself, and You - Vulture - October 20th, 2019
- Muskegon-area Week 8 football picks: With 2 blockbusters, cloning is appealing - MLive.com - October 20th, 2019
- Eminem 'cloned' conspiracy explodes after rapper releases track 'exposing theory' - Daily Star - October 20th, 2019
- Apple Card user says they were a victim of fraud despite never using their physical card - iMore - October 20th, 2019
- Intact Genomics Awarded the Patent of Fungal Artificial Chromosome Technologies - Suburban Journals - September 26th, 2019
- 'Star Wars 9' theory explains Snoke, Rey, and Palps return all at once - Inverse - September 26th, 2019
- Number plate cloning how you could get stung - RACQ Live - August 25th, 2017
- Crooks cloning number plates to lump innocent drivers with fines - 9news.com.au - August 25th, 2017
- Three arrested in Uttarakhand for withdrawing Rs 37 lakh by cloning ... - The New Indian Express - August 25th, 2017
- Cloning Couture | Exploring the world of couture sewing - August 20th, 2017
- Cloning of debit, credit cards: Key accused held, search on for 4 ... - The Indian Express - August 20th, 2017
- Ghana national held for withdrawing money by cloning ATM cards - India Today - August 18th, 2017
- Physicists measure complementary properties using quantum clones - Phys.Org - August 16th, 2017
- Nigerian held for duping Delhiites by cloning cards at ATMs | Delhi ... - Times of India - August 16th, 2017
- Disgraced Korean scientist Hwang Woo-suk loses legal battle over mammoth cloning tech - The Korea Herald - August 15th, 2017
- 'Card cloning' device puts key card entry at risk - WTHR - August 15th, 2017
- Using 'tap and go' will protect against fraud through 'ghost' EFTPOS terminals, police say - ABC Online - August 15th, 2017
- CRISPR-Cleaned Piglets Have Been Cloned for Organ Donation - Big Think - August 15th, 2017
- Fast facts about cloning - WPSD Local 6: Your news, weather, and sports authority - WPSD Local 6 - August 13th, 2017
- China's cloning of genetically modified dogs for research raises concerns - SBS - August 13th, 2017