West Nile virus found in human-biting mosquito, detected in 20 towns
NEW HAVEN >> The risk of people contracting West Nile virus may be rising, as a mosquito species that is more likely to bite humans has been found to carry the disease, according to Philip Armstrong, medical entomologist at the Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station.
As of last week, mosquitoes carrying the virus had been found in 20 towns, more than at this point in 2016, including six in Greater New Haven and seven in Fairfield County. But the West Nile-carrying mosquitoes have been found farther afield, in Hartford and New London counties, Armstrong said Thursday.
The most common species to carry West Nile is the northern house mosquito, Culex pipiens, which feeds mainly on birds, Armstrong said. However, whats really most alarming, he said, is that were also detecting the virus in human-biting mosquitoes. That species is Culex salinarius, a common mosquito, but whats unusual is that its picking up the virus, Armstrong said.
This is the peak period of risk right now, Armstrong said, although no human cases have been reported this year.
The virus will amplify or will peak in the mosquito population usually before we have human cases, he said. There often are delays in diagnosis and reporting of these cases oftentimes weeks after the date of onset.
There was just one human case of West Nile reported in 2016, compared with 21 in 2012, according to the state Department of Public Health. There have been 131 human cases of West Nile, including three fatalities, since 2000, according to Agricultural Experiment Station.
Armstrong said hot weather increases the mosquito population, so with West Nile virus, typically when you have these prolonged heat waves . the population will increase and biting will increase, Armstrong said.
The bottom line is we are seeing a substantial increase in the risk just in the last week or two and hopefully this is the peak, he said. However, the risk for acquiring West Nile virus will still extend until the first hard frost.
Dr. Richard Martinello, medical director for infection prevention at Yale New Haven Hospital, said, Most people who get exposed to West Nile virus dont have any symptoms at all. It may be 10 to 20 percent who get infected [who] may experience signs and symptoms.
Those include headache, body ache, joint pain, fatigue, vomiting and diarrhea. Theres a whole multitude of different infections that may present the same way, including enterovirus, said Martinello, who is also associate professor of internal medicine and infectious diseases at the Yale School of Medicine. Less than 1 percent can have a serious infection due to West Nile, such as meningitis and encephalitis.
As of Tuesday, the Agricultural Experiment Station had tested 148,154 mosquitoes from 91 trapping sites throughout the state and had found 55 mosquitoes carrying West Nile virus. The towns where West Nile-carrying mosquitoes have been found are Branford, Bridgeport, Darien, Farmington, Glastonbury, Greenwich, Guilford, Middlefield, New Canaan, New Haven, North Branford, North Stonington, Orange, Plainfield, South Windsor, Stamford, Stratford, West Hartford, West Haven and Westport.
The mosquito-trapping program had also identified 21 mosquitoes with Jamestown Canyon virus in the towns of Canaan, East Haven, Meriden, Milford, New Britain, North Haven, North Stonington, Plainfield, Ridgefield, Shelton, Wethersfield and Willington.
We pick it up every year, Armstrong said of Jamestown Canyon virus. Its not really a significant public health concern. Theres been one documented human case of James Canyon virus in the state of Connecticut since the mosquito program began, he said. The symptoms are mild.
There have been no reports of the more serious Eastern equine encephalitis virus found in mosquitoes this year, according to the Agricultural Experiment Station.
Man dies of babesiosis
A tick-borne disease caused by a parasite, babesiosis, was responsible for the death of Michael Yoder, 55, of New Milford on Aug. 8, according to the Associated Press.
Babesiosis symptoms are similar to the flu, although severe cases can cause anemia that leads to organ failure. There was one death each from the disease in 2015 and 2016, the AP reported.
The Centers for Disease Control reported an increase in babesiosis cases in Connecticut from 74 in 2011 to 205 in 2014.
Call Ed Stannard at 203-680-9382.
Read more from the original source:
West Nile virus found in human-biting mosquito, detected in 20 towns - New Haven Register
- Dr Shreeram Lagoo: The sensitive rationalist always on the social beat - Hindustan Times - December 18th, 2019
- Shriram Lagoo (1927-2019): Acting legend and rationalist leaves behind a rich and complex legacy - Scroll.in - December 18th, 2019
- In Conversation with Howard Ross Social Justice Advocate - Thrive Global - December 18th, 2019
- The Varieties of Mystical Experience - Psychology Today - December 18th, 2019
- Take the lead - Daily Pioneer - December 18th, 2019
- Theatre and film actor Dr Shriram Lagoo passes away at 92 - The New Indian Express - December 18th, 2019
- From small town boy to significant contributor - The Age - December 18th, 2019
- From Brown's bigot to Brexit and Boris - Dhaka Tribune - December 18th, 2019
- Israeli Journalist who Interviewed the Rebbe Passed Away - Anash.org - Good News - December 18th, 2019
- EU Policies Dont Tackle Root Causes of Migration They Risk Aggravating Them - Inter Press Service - December 18th, 2019
- Analyzing the Conspiracist Firestorm over Notre Dame - New Ideal - October 16th, 2019
- frag/men/t: Artist Dan Gladden explores the queer posthuman form - OUTinPerth - August 25th, 2017
- Hall Center for the Humanities events to explore the posthuman condition - KU Today - August 22nd, 2017
- Hundreds confess to eating human flesh in South Africa - New York Post - August 22nd, 2017
- US holds up military aid to Egypt over human rights concerns - Washington Post - August 22nd, 2017
- US Slaps Egypt on Human Rights Record and Ties to North Korea - New York Times - August 22nd, 2017
- Human remains found in caiman may belong to missing man - New York Post - August 20th, 2017
- Natalee Holloway's dad finds human remains in Aruba - New York Post - August 20th, 2017
- British scientists develop world's smallest surgical robot that can mimic human arm - Firstpost - August 20th, 2017
- Big Brother: Elena slams Josh as 'an irrational human' - EW.com - August 20th, 2017
- A Speedier Way to Catalog Human Cells (All 37 Trillion of Them) - New York Times - August 18th, 2017
- Human rights commission 'reset' - Bangkok Post - August 18th, 2017
- AirAsia trains crew to spot human traffickers - Bangkok Post - August 16th, 2017
- Portage gets first look at human rights proposal - Chicago Tribune - August 16th, 2017
- A mob of beachgoers wanted to play with a baby dolphin and wound up killing it - Washington Post - August 16th, 2017
- Cuomo proposes new hate crimes provisions post-Charlottesville - Albany Times Union - August 15th, 2017
- Cristiano Ronaldo shows he's human; Matic key for Man Utd; Neymar's start - ESPN FC (blog) - August 15th, 2017
- 'Brains linked to computers will kill our inner freedom' - Zizek to RT on biohacking & identity loss - RT - August 15th, 2017
- Human remains discovered in Fayette County - Tribune-Review - August 15th, 2017
- India @ 70: A floating post office, a human calculator and 8 other amazing facts - Hindustan Times - August 14th, 2017
- I Am Not a Human Pacifier | Nurshable - August 13th, 2017
- Obama Responds To Charlottesville Violence With A Quote From Nelson Mandela - HuffPost - August 13th, 2017
- Taiwan master offers handwriting with a human touch - South China Morning Post - August 13th, 2017
- First human case of West Nile virus reported in Carson City-Douglas area - KRNV My News 4 - August 13th, 2017
- We're one step closer to using pig organs in human transplants - CBS News - August 13th, 2017
- It's not just Venezuela. Elected governments don't necessarily defend democracy or protect human rights. - Washington Post - August 11th, 2017
- The Climate Post: Federal Science Report Finds Human Activity Does Influence Climate Change - HuffPost - August 11th, 2017
- Scientists Hit Breakthrough In Quest To Transplant Pig Organs Into Humans - HuffPost - August 11th, 2017
- +/- Human review Is this the future of artificial intelligence? Bring it on - The Guardian - August 10th, 2017
- Discovery of 13 million-year-old ape skull shows what human ancestors may have looked like - Washington Post - August 10th, 2017
- New UN report spotlights human trafficking into Thailand - Bangkok Post - August 10th, 2017
- Decoding the ancient logic of the Google Bro - Washington Post - August 9th, 2017
- Chinese man stopped at bus station with two human arms in bag - South China Morning Post - August 9th, 2017
- White House reviewing new report that finds strong link between climate change, human activity - Washington Post - August 8th, 2017
- Posthuman age - DAWN.com - August 8th, 2017
- Saudi Arabia must do something about its barbaric human rights practices - Washington Post - August 6th, 2017
- Human vs. machine contests (real or fictional) but involving ordinary humans - Washington Post - August 6th, 2017
- Saudi Arabia defends decision to execute 14 Saudi Shiites - Washington Post - August 6th, 2017
- Hikers form human chain to cross river after flash-flood - New York Post - August 4th, 2017
- The hidden environmental costs of dog and cat food - Washington Post - August 4th, 2017
- 'Obviously Human': Mother Posts Heart-Wrenching Photos of Baby She Lost at 14 Weeks - CBN News - August 4th, 2017
- AI-Powered Companies Combine Machine Intelligence And Human Ingenuity - HuffPost - August 4th, 2017
- Man charged with human trafficking in Howard County - The ... - Washington Post - August 3rd, 2017
- Scientists discover method to rejuvenate aging human cells - National Post - August 3rd, 2017
- First human embryo editing experiment in US 'corrects' gene for heart condition - Washington Post - August 3rd, 2017
- Can Human Beings Survive The Impending Climate Crisis? - HuffPost - August 3rd, 2017
- The milk of human kindness - The Jerusalem Post - August 3rd, 2017
- Some feared hackers and the devil. Others got microchipped. - Washington Post - August 2nd, 2017
- At The Human Library, The Books Are People And The Stories Are All True - 90.5 WESA - August 2nd, 2017
- YouTube says AI better than humans at removing extremist videos post-brand safety crisis - The Drum - August 1st, 2017
- More Jacksonville Businesses Might Have To Hang Human Trafficking Signs - WJCT NEWS - August 1st, 2017
- Tech companies fear repercussions from a new bill in the US Congress to combat human trafficking - Recode - August 1st, 2017
- Washington Post: Why human rights defenders love John McCain - Concord Monitor - July 31st, 2017
- Big Rigs, a Human Smuggling Mainstay, Often Become Rolling Traps - New York Times - July 31st, 2017
- Kelvin Benjamin's heartfelt Instagram post shows human side of football - ESPN (blog) - July 29th, 2017
- Fellow humans, don't panic yet - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - July 29th, 2017
- Why human rights defenders love John McCain - The Washington Post - Washington Post - July 29th, 2017
- If you could 'design' your own child, would you? - Washington Post - July 29th, 2017
- Maybe the AI dystopia is already here - Washington Post - July 29th, 2017
- Inevitably Posthuman? - The Weekly Standard - July 28th, 2017
- Trump's speech encouraging police to be 'rough,' annotated - Washington Post - July 28th, 2017
- 'First human cyborg' sucker-punched in subway station - New York Post - July 28th, 2017
- 10 People Dead In 'Human Trafficking' Case In Texas Parking Lot - HuffPost - July 28th, 2017
- Scientists genetically modify a human embryo for the first time - New York Post - July 27th, 2017
- Scientists are building DNA from scratch to redesign life - New York Post - July 27th, 2017
- Human Ken Doll Rodrigo Alves is 'waiting for his new chin to arrive in the post' ahead of 35k surgery binge - The Sun - July 26th, 2017
- Investigator: Driver part of larger human-smuggling scheme - The Denver Post - July 26th, 2017
- Plummeting Sperm Counts Could Result In Human Extinction, Doctor Warns - HuffPost UK - July 26th, 2017
- Company whose trailer was used in human smuggling case has history of legal problems - Washington Post - July 26th, 2017
- Here's a list of people Trump has fired or threatened to fire - Washington Post - July 26th, 2017