They were the whos who of West Bengals flourishing medical fraternity. Naren Pandey was a top allergy and asthma specialist practicing at one of the citys premier hospitals. Shubhendu Bhattacharya was a general medicine expert felicitated by none other than President Pranab Mukherjee in May this year. Aradeep Chatterjee, an MD in integrative oncology was equally sought after and known as much for his flashy lifestyle and his swanky BMW.
Today, the three are among three dozen others behind bars for having fake medical degrees.
Pandey had even failed his Class 12 examination and began his career as a distributor of unani medicines before donning the role of a doctor. Bhattacharya never studied in any recognised medical college while Chatterjee twice dropped out of a homeopathy college.
Police have sealed the office of Ramesh Baidya, principal of Barasat Bio-Chemical Medical College. From this office in Barasat (North 24 Parganas district) Baidya has sold hundreds of fake degrees, CID sleuths alleged. (Samir Jana)
But lack of qualification never deterred them from making it big, courtesy a racket run by a slew of dubious medical colleges that thrived as much as the professional careers of fake doctors they helped to produce.
The lid on the racket was first blown off during the first week of May when two doctors, Kushiram Haldar and Kaizar Alam, were arrested from Alipurduar and North Dinajpur districts. They had degrees from a fictitious college and were employed at government-run primary health centres. Alam had even worked at Kolkatas Ruby General Hospital one of the citys most sought-after medical care facilities.
Police investigations picked up speed after the first arrests and more doctors had their skeletons tumbling out of their cupboards. Among them was Gopal Biswas, a dentist in Falakata of Cooch Behar district in north Bengal.
Police estimate the number of fake doctors in the state between 500 and 550. At the heart of the fake medical eco-system are the fake universities and colleges.
The locked house of Suresh Agawal, founder president of Indian Board of Alternative Medicine in Bhawanipore, Kolkata. Agarwal allegedly sold fake degrees from an office barely a km away. (Samir Jana)
People with fake degrees from such institutions are practising not only in top private hospitals in Kolkata, and private health facilities in different parts of Bengal, but also in Delhi, Mumbai, Patna, Ranchi and Bhubaneswar, a senior police officer said.
The institutes named in the FIR are Alternative Medical Council Calcutta (AMCC) at Barasat, Indian Board of Alternative Medicine (IBAM) at Bhawanipore, Council of Alternative Systems of Medicines (CASM) at Behala and Indian Council of Alternative Medicine (ICAM) at Bowbazar.
Police claimed, these institutions had no affiliations whatsoever and awarded tens of thousands of fake degrees to aspirants from all over India and even the United States, Italy, Russia, Sri Lanka, Nepal and Bangladesh.
No classes were held in these colleges and all degrees were awarded by them after correspondence courses. Under Medical Council of India( MCI) rules, only three regulatory bodies are entitled to issue approval to institutes for teaching medicine: MCI for modern medicine; the Central Council of Indian Medicine (CCIM) and the Central Council of Homeopathy (CCH) for alternative medicine.
But the four blacklisted institutions and a host of other colleges gave out medical degrees undeterred. Rama Shankar Tiwari, a practicing doctor in Howrah district had obtained his degree from the Howrah Central Calcutta Medical College operating out of a nondescript house in Jagaccha. The college has awarded some 20,000 degrees so far, CID officials suspect.
But how the fake institutes flourished for so long is yet to be determined. The state medical council has woken up now and pledged to rid the state of the menace.
I am the whistleblower and I am coordinating with the CID. We will rid the system of fake practitioners, said Nirmal Majhi, the chairman of the council and a close aide of chief minister Mamata Banerjee.
Read this article:
- Complementary And Alternative Medicine Market Growth Powered with Latest Development Scenario and Influencing Trends by 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 6th, 2020
- Alternative and Complementary Treatments for Cancer - HealthCentral.com - June 6th, 2020
- Current and Future Trend of Global Complementary and Alternative Medicine Market by 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 6th, 2020
- Alternative approaches to dealing with coronavirus - Himalayan Times - June 6th, 2020
- FDA Approves Merck's RECARBRIO (imipenem, cilastatin, and relebactam) for the Treatment of Adults with Hospital-Acquired and Ventilator-Associated... - June 6th, 2020
- Funding for alternative medicine businesses on the rise around the globe - EconoTimes - June 6th, 2020
- Explained: The debate over homoeopathic drug Arsenicum album 30 - The Indian Express - June 6th, 2020
- Coronavirus is the day of reckoning for the anti-vaccine movement - Wired.co.uk - June 6th, 2020
- Here is how alkaline water boosts immunity - The Indian Express - June 6th, 2020
- Containment zone area spreads from 9.91 to 10.46 sq kms in Pune - Hindustan Times - May 24th, 2020
- The Hot New Far-Right Coronavirus Trend Is Claiming a Disability to Avoid Wearing a Mask - The Daily Beast - May 24th, 2020
- Potential Impact of COVID-19 on Complementary and Alternative Medicine Market Analysis on Current Trends by 2028 - Cole of Duty - May 23rd, 2020
- Alternative medical therapies allowed to resume in Dubai - Gulf News - May 23rd, 2020
- University spinoff receives $750K to develop iron-based alternative to gadolinium contrasts - Health Imaging - May 23rd, 2020
- Coronavirus related conspiracy theories spread across the internet - The Yucatan Times - May 23rd, 2020
- 'Snitch list:' Trolls harass those who reported Covid-19 business violations in Washington state - KUOW News and Information - May 23rd, 2020
- Alkaline Water: How It Is The Key to Boost Your Immunity - NDTV Food - May 23rd, 2020
- Couples conceiving an alternative to IVF - The Catholic Weekly - May 23rd, 2020
- Inspired by her health battle, Andover's Kennedy pursuing career in sports medicine - Andover Townsman - May 23rd, 2020
- Royal coronavirus: How the Queen treats ill-health with alternative medical practices - Express - April 1st, 2020
- Coronavirus Cure: List Of 'Promising' COVID-19 Treatments Revealed By Dr. Oz - International Business Times - April 1st, 2020
- Explained: Can alternative medicine work against the coronavirus? - The Indian Express - April 1st, 2020
- Hemopure - Addresses the Blood Shortage as an Alternative Oxygen Therapeutic - Yahoo Finance - April 1st, 2020
- Can alternative treatments help with painful fibroids? - Harvard Health - April 1st, 2020
- How the Queen relies on homeopathic remedies to keep her well during the coronavirus outbreak - The Scottish Sun - April 1st, 2020
- Madras HC directs govt committee to consider representation for use of Indian traditional medicine to treat COVID-19 [Read Order] - Bar & Bench -... - April 1st, 2020
- Feds Warn Telemarketers to Stop the Coronavirus Robocall Scams - The Daily Beast - April 1st, 2020
- Ohio Valley Facing Pandemic With A Health System Hollowed Out By Hospital Closures - WKU Public Radio - April 1st, 2020
- A week into lockdown: Disruption in supply of essential medicines, dearth of staff at drug stores - The Indian Express - April 1st, 2020
- The man from Kerala who cured yaws in the 1930s - The Hindu - April 1st, 2020
- Is there any alternative medicine against the novel coronavirus? - Newsd.in - April 1st, 2020
- Coronavirus: Clusters lead to surge in spread but could help contain it too - The Indian Express - April 1st, 2020
- Strengthen your lungs, relax, and boost your immunity by working on these pressure points - ABS-CBN News - April 1st, 2020
- Keene Reiki Practitioner Offers Alternative Healing Tools - The Keene Sentinel - March 19th, 2020
- Dosed Review: The Case for Plant-Based Recovery - The New York Times - March 19th, 2020
- Are Surgical Masks the New Plague Masks? A History of the Not-Always-Helpful Ways We've Reacted to Pandemics - Newsweek - March 19th, 2020
- The Chinese Wild-Animal Industry and Wet Markets Must Go - National Review - March 19th, 2020
- Coronavirus wellness scams being pushed by homeopaths, aromatherapists and naturopaths - Metro - March 19th, 2020
- This ex-Flipster's startup combines AI and Ayurveda for health monitoring - YourStory - March 19th, 2020
- WHO walks back warning about ibuprofen and coronavirus, not aware of any negative effects - The Boston Globe - March 19th, 2020
- ETHAN SHOREY During these times, trusted information so important - Valley Breeze - March 19th, 2020
- Alternative Medicines Therapies Market to Make Great Impact in Near Future by 2020 - Feed Road - March 19th, 2020
- Destin doctor offers curbside alternative to waiting rooms - The Northwest Florida Daily News - March 19th, 2020
- Ask the GP: Every meal makes my wife sneeze how can I help her? - The Irish News - March 19th, 2020
- Where is Doc Bhagavan Antle Now? Is the TIGERS Owner in Prison Today in 2020? - The Cinemaholic - March 19th, 2020
- WellSet is doing a limited launch in Los Angeles of its alternative medicine booking platform - TechCrunch - March 5th, 2020
- MU College of Veterinary Medicine research discovers harmful effects of alternative chemicals in plastics - The Maneater - March 5th, 2020
- Alternative Therapies You Can Use to Maximize Your Mental Health - GQ - March 5th, 2020
- Creative Wellness: Three Decades of Commitment to Healthy Living - eastlansinginfo.org - March 5th, 2020
- Fountain Hills massage therapist accused of sexually assaulting female patients - 12news.com KPNX - March 5th, 2020
- Global AYUSH and Alternative Medicine Market 2020 by Company, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - Galus Australis - March 5th, 2020
- Complementary And Alternative Medicine Market Emerging Trends, Opportunity, Industry Overview and Growth Analysis Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - March 5th, 2020
- The Newest Alternative Health Fad: Vaping Essential Oils - Study Breaks - March 5th, 2020
- 'Necrotizing Pneumonia' May Be New Vaping Hazard - HealthDay - March 5th, 2020
- Break the stigma through therapy - Deccan Herald - March 5th, 2020
- BioDelivery Sciences Announces Phase I Clinical Trial Results at the American Academy of Pain Medicine's 36th Annual Meeting - GuruFocus.com - March 5th, 2020
- Adaptogens: As Alternative Medicine, another Way To Be Healthy - The Costa Rica News - February 27th, 2020
- WMU professor awarded for book that peels back the curtain on Fetzer's secret life | WMU News - WMU News - February 27th, 2020
- Philly to host public meetings to help veterans in need - Metro US - February 27th, 2020
- Why the controversy over chronic Lyme disease is important to everyone - The CT Mirror - February 27th, 2020
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine Market Leading Manufacturers, Demand, Supply, Consumption, Sales, Revenue And Trend For Upcoming Years... - February 27th, 2020
- AposTherapy and Ahava Medical & Rehabilitation Center Bring a Non-Surgical, Drug-Free Solution to Knee and Lower Back Pain Sufferers in Brooklyn -... - February 27th, 2020
- FACE TO FACE: Our own Dr King ready to shake the political throne - Bahamas Tribune - February 27th, 2020
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine: Get the Facts on CAM - February 15th, 2020
- Global Complementary and Alternative Medicine Market Is Set For Swift Growth, To Reach Around USD 163.3 Billion by 2025 - Global Newspaper 24 - February 15th, 2020
- Gwyneth Paltrows Goop Arts, and Science - The New York Times - February 15th, 2020
- Global Complementary And Alternative Medicine Market Present Key Players, Business Overview, Trends, Demand and Opportunities Forecast 2029 - Sound On... - February 15th, 2020
- Global AYUSH and Alternative Medicine Market Business Analysis 2019 by CAGR, Share, Revenue and Prominent Key Players to 2025 - News Times - February 15th, 2020
- Postoperative Pain Industry Outlook, 2020-2028 - Approval of Therapies such as Maxigesic, HTX-011, Olinvo, CR845 Will Create a Positive Impact on the... - February 15th, 2020
- Propolis Market Growth Trends, Key Players, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2028 - Redhill Local Councillors - February 15th, 2020
- Perceptions of daily cannabis use during pregnancy - Medical News Bulletin - February 15th, 2020
- Marketing, not medicine: Gwyneth Paltrows The Goop Lab whitewashes traditional health therapies for profit - The Conversation AU - January 29th, 2020
- Deepak Chopra Has Mastered the Seven Spiritual Laws of Big Fit Success - GQ - January 29th, 2020
- Conversations With a Mass Murderer - The New York Times - January 29th, 2020
- Data and evidence - Launching the 2020 Culture and Health webinar Series - World Health Organization - January 29th, 2020
- Medicare Will Now Pay For Acupuncture In Part Due To Opioid Abuse - Forbes - January 29th, 2020
- A New Location of the Reiki School Just Opened in Queen Village - Philadelphia magazine - January 29th, 2020
- AYUSH and Alternative Medicine Market Global Insights, Trends and Huge Business Opportunities 2019 to 2025 - NY Telecast 99 - January 29th, 2020
- School of weed: Ministries preparing course on medical marijuana - The Thaiger - January 29th, 2020
- Casualty star Cathy Shipton on her passion for 'witchy' home remedies as she exits soap - Mirror Online - January 29th, 2020