It's a make-or-break moment for bitcoin ETFs.
The Securities and Exchange Commission has set an Oct. 13 deadline for approving a bitcoin-based exchange-traded fund from Bitwise Investments, a move that could mark a meaningful milestone in bitcoin's long-term growth story.
The digital currency has been volatile this year, falling by over 20% in one week in late September to its lowest level since July amid increasing skepticism and uncertainty. Bitcoin hit its 2019 high of over $11,000 in June, according to cryptocurrency exchange Bitstamp.
Interestingly, bitcoin is still 2019's best-performing asset, up almost 123% for the year.
That volatility isn't stopping Matt Hougan, managing director and global head of research at Bitwise, from being optimistic about the prospects for his firm's bitcoin ETF, which, if approved, would trade as the Bitwise Bitcoin ETF Trust.
"We're closer than we've ever been before to getting a bitcoin ETF approved," Hougan, former CEO of Inside ETFs, said Monday on CNBC's "ETF Edge."
"Sometime before Monday, the SEC has to give its decision: yes or no. They have no more ways to postpone it at this point," Hougan said. "We will hear clearly between now and Monday what they think, and then, depending on what we hear, we'll go forward from there. But it should be a very exciting week."
The road to bitcoin ETF approval has been a long one. The Facebook-famous Winklevoss twins first filed for a bitcoin ETF in 2013, launching a yearslong fight for approval with the SEC that ended in disappointment.
It's also come with a few casualties. In January, a government shutdown threw a wrench in many issuers' plans, with Cboe Global Markets withdrawing its application for a bitcoin-based ETF. In mid-September, VanEck and SolidX followed suit, pulling their proposal for a bitcoin-based ETF from SEC consideration.
But in the last few years, the outlook for Bitwise's proposal has improved significantly, Hougan said.
"The evolution of the bitcoin market over the last two years is from night to day," he said Monday, adding that some of the SEC's chief concerns about approving a bitcoin ETF mainly custody and proper regulation are starting to get resolved.
"Two years ago, there were no regulated, insured custodians in the bitcoin market. Today, ... there are big names like Fidelity and CoinBase [with] hundreds of millions of dollars of insurance from firms like Lloyd's of London," he said. "Two years ago, there were no regulated crypto exchanges. Now, six of the 10 big crypto exchanges are regulated by the New York Department of State with market surveillance technologies in place. And, most importantly, two years ago, it was a one-sided, inefficient market. Today, we have $200-plus million in volume and regulated futures every day."
Now, bitcoin is "among the most efficient institutional markets in the world" because of its narrow spreads and the involvement of major market makers like Jane Street Capital and Susquehanna, Hougan said.
All of those factors could bring Wall Street one step closer to welcoming the first-ever bitcoin ETF, a long-awaited event that would open up the crypto space to many more buyers, Hougan said.
"The opportunity that's taking place in bitcoin, crypto and blockchain today is one of the most exciting wealth-generation opportunities in the world," he said. "The problem is while big institutions have safe, secure ways to buy bitcoin today in private funds that are available only to the ultra-high-net-worth people, regular investors don't have a safe way."
A bitcoin ETF would change that layout entirely, the research pro said.
"What the bitcoin ETF would allow everyday investors to do is have safe, simple, secure access to the wealth generation taking place in bitcoin and crypto. It would let financial advisors give it to their clients easily instead of them going rogue," Hougan said. "It's just trying to solve that problem of simple, secure access to what is emerging as a very important technology and a very important asset class in the market."
Bitcoin was up by about 5% by Monday's stock market close, according to Bitstamp.
Read more from the original source:
'We're closer than we've ever been' to bitcoin ETF approval, says Bitwise head of research - CNBC
- Protesters Around The World Are Putting Their Hopes Into Cryptocurrency - Forbes - June 24th, 2020
- The Benefits of Cryptocurrency Trading Crypto Benzinga - Benzinga - June 24th, 2020
- UNICEF Cryptocurrency Fund announces its largest investment of startups in developing and emerging economies - UNICEF - June 24th, 2020
- Akon City: $6 Billion Cryptocurrency City Set to Begin Construction | News - Bitcoin News - June 24th, 2020
- From Ethereum to Stellar, to Solana: Cryptocurrency Kin Confirms Blockchain Migration - CoinDesk - June 24th, 2020
- More Than 14 Million XRP Deposits Within the First Week of Listing on CoinLoan - PRNewswire - June 24th, 2020
- Market Makers Hold The Key To Success Of Early-Stage Cryptocurrency Projects - hackernoon.com - June 24th, 2020
- Jim Rogers Discusses Bitcoin as Money and Why Governments Will Stop Crypto | News - Bitcoin News - June 24th, 2020
- South Korea to Unveil Rules of Cryptocurrency Taxation in July - Finance Magnates - June 24th, 2020
- Evorese.com, a new and promising cryptocurrency exchange - PR Web - June 24th, 2020
- Accessible crypto: Will the arrival of ziglu drive new levels of cryptocurrency adoption? - FXStreet - June 24th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency: Redefining the Future of Finance - Visual Capitalist - June 14th, 2020
- A Cryptocurrency User Paid $2.6M In Transaction Fee To Send $136 Twice - Benzinga - June 14th, 2020
- CryptoMixer.bz: Bitcoin Mixer for your anonymity in the Crypto World - Yahoo Finance - June 14th, 2020
- 80% of US and European Institutional Investors Find Cryptocurrency Appealing: Survey - Bitcoin News - June 14th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Quotes and Forecasts: Last Updates on Cryptocurrencies - FinSMEs - June 14th, 2020
- Justice Gets 15 Guilty Pleas for International Crime Ring that Laundered Money Through Cryptocurrency Exchanges - Nextgov - June 14th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Mining Hardware Market Growth Trends, Key Players, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026 - Jewish Life News - June 14th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market News: Bitcoin drops to $9,100, the rest of the market follows suit - FXStreet - June 14th, 2020
- Chainalysis Partners with A&D Forensics, Expanding Access to its Cryptocurrency Investigative Tools in Africa - bitcoinke.io - June 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin: A Value Investor's Take On This Asset Bubble - Seeking Alpha - June 14th, 2020
- CashTelex Is Driving Mainstream Crypto Adoption Through Its Brand New Physical Asset-Backed Cryptocurrency CTLX - Yahoo Finance - June 14th, 2020
- Ethereum 2.0: The Choice Between Ones Own Node and a Staking Service - Cointelegraph - June 14th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Can Become a Medicine to Treat the Challenges Caused by Covid-19 - Coin Idol - June 14th, 2020
- Binance Launches Quarterly BTC/USD Futures With Up To 125x Leverage - Benzinga - June 14th, 2020
- What Is The Future Of Cryptocurrency Going To Look Like? - About Manchester - June 6th, 2020
- Watch | What is crypto-jacking? - The Hindu - June 6th, 2020
- Regulating cryptocurrency exchanges - The Indian Express - June 6th, 2020
- HOW TO BUY BITCOIN ON THE ISLE OF WIGHT - Island Echo - June 6th, 2020
- Could Bitcoin Trading Volume Really 100X in Four Years? - Cointelegraph - June 6th, 2020
- First Mover: Bloomberg's Pie-in-the-Sky Bitcoin Call Looks Directionally Defensible - CoinDesk - June 6th, 2020
- $1.4 Billion In Cryptocurrency Stolen In The Spring of 2020 Amid Coronavirus and WoToken Scams - CryptoPotato - June 6th, 2020
- How to win cryptocurrency by playing Flappy Bird - Decrypt - June 6th, 2020
- What Is The Best Cryptocurrency Broker? - Cryptonews - June 6th, 2020
- Todays cache | Crypto-jacking, and more - The Hindu - June 6th, 2020
- Who are the distributors, traders and dealers of Cryptocurrency Market? - Fresno Observer - June 6th, 2020
- OKEx Continues Their Ongoing OKB Token Buyback - Cointelegraph - June 6th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency And Blockchain Technology Market size Reap Excessive Revenues size COVID-19 2022 - Cole of Duty - June 6th, 2020
- Will Shopifys New Cryptocurrency Partnership Widen Its Moat? - Motley Fool - June 1st, 2020
- Meet Theta Fuel, the cryptocurrency that catches world's attention - Nairametrics - June 1st, 2020
- Bitcoin founder may have just moved nearly $400,000 in untouched cryptocurrency - The Independent - June 1st, 2020
- Bitcoins $100K Probability Speculation or Economic Theory Backed? - Finance Magnates - June 1st, 2020
- Bitcoin hodl waves indicate 60% of the cryptocurrency is being hoarded analysts suggest a bull run could be - Business Insider India - June 1st, 2020
- Everything to Know about the Emergence of Prepaid Cryptocurrency Debit Cards: - PaymentsJournal - June 1st, 2020
- Africa's young population and the drive for cryptocurrency - Techpoint.ng - June 1st, 2020
- Kraken CEO: Bitcoin (BTC) Would Be Worth $1,000,000,000,000 If the Masses Knew the Power of Cryptocurrency - The Daily Hodl - June 1st, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin bleeding as the market gets ready for CME futures expiration - FXStreet - June 1st, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Cardano increased by 15% - The Times Hub - June 1st, 2020
- Calibras Rebrand to Novi: An Effort to Create Distance from Facebook? - Finance Magnates - June 1st, 2020
- Why Have Cryptocurrency Payments Failed to Take Off So Far? - Cointelegraph - May 25th, 2020
- What to Know About Billions' Cryptocurrency Drama If You Know Nothing About Cryptocurrency - Vulture - May 25th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency and COVID-19: Bitcoins Path to a Safe Haven - Cointelegraph - May 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin prices slip amid speculation that a block of the cryptocurrency possibly linked to creator Satoshi Nakamoto just changed hands - MarketWatch - May 25th, 2020
- Zcash's First Halving May Solve Its Inflation Problem - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 25th, 2020
- The Global Cryptocurrency Mining Hardware Market is expected to grow by $ 2.80 bn during 2020-2024 progressing at a CAGR of 7% during the forecast... - May 25th, 2020
- Is 2020 the year to invest in cryptocurrency? - About Manchester - May 25th, 2020
- RenBTC Quietly Goes Live in Latest Bid to Bring Bitcoin Into Ethereum - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 25th, 2020
- Eight Countries That Don't Tax Your Bitcoin Gains | Finance Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - May 25th, 2020
- The Top 5 Cryptocurrencies to Mine  | Coin Insider - Coin Insider - May 25th, 2020
- Can Stablecoins Be the Answer to Cryptocurrency's Biggest Problem? - News Anyway - May 25th, 2020
- ZIMBOCASH Lists Cryptocurrency Token, Wants To Be Alternative To ZW$ - Technology Zimbabwe - May 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin investors are bracing for a key technical event here's what you need to know - CNBC - May 11th, 2020
- Teen Hackers Accused of Cryptocurrency Theft, Sued For $71 Mn - CISO MAG - May 11th, 2020
- Coinbase CEO Says New Cryptocurrency Bill Would Have Major Impact on Future of Finance - The Daily Hodl - May 11th, 2020
- Paul Tudor Jones calls bitcoin a 'great speculation,' says he has almost 2% of his assets in it - CNBC - May 11th, 2020
- No way around it: the irreparable damage cryptocurrency does to the environment - Green Prophet - May 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin halving explained: What is cryptocurrency event and will it boost price? - The Independent - May 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bloodbath as Bitcoin nosedives to $8,000, Ethereum $180 and Ripple $0.1780 - FXStreet - May 11th, 2020
- Investors Who Bought iMining Blockchain and Cryptocurrency (CVE:IMIN) Shares A Year Ago Are Now Up 56% - Simply Wall St - May 11th, 2020
- Ethereum, XRP, and Litecoin Prices Wait for Bitcoins Halving - Crypto Briefing - May 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin's halving might see a large influx of investors wanting a piece of the cryptocurrency market - Mashable SE Asia - May 11th, 2020
- What is a cryptocurrency and why is it needed? - AMBCrypto English - May 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin, Ethereum and Ripple have a bullish start to Saturday, following Fridays drop - FXStreet - May 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Litecoin dipped to 12% - The Times Hub - May 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin halving, coronavirus and recession: Is an adoption surge ahead? - Verdict - May 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Exchange Bityard Launched A Global Business Layout Using Singapore As Its Base - IndianWeb2.com - May 11th, 2020
- The IRS Wants to Know About Your Cryptocurrency Transactions - Interesting Engineering - May 7th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin whales massively accumulating, Ethereum and Ripple commence consolidation - FXStreet - May 7th, 2020
- Rand Corporation report finds bitcoin is still the dark webs preferred cryptocurrency - Yahoo Finance - May 7th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency and the future of the automotive trading industry - Irish Tech News - May 7th, 2020