For the past year, the public has looked to the science community to develop countermeasures for COVID-19, from models of the virus structure and how it spreads, to novel tests and treatments. Researchers have risen to the occasion, as exemplified by vaccines produced at a speed faster than many thought possible. But our job is far from done. Americans will depend on scientists for new technologies to help us navigate this pandemic and recover from it, for innovations that can help our economy bounce back, and for solutions to other critical issues facing our country, such as racial equity and climate change.
We are on the precipice of revolutionary advances in science and engineering that will directly benefit the world. And now is the time for a new national commitment to invest in research that leads directly to major societal and economic outcomes. Such an effort will require strengthening our innovation networks at speed and scale.
Curiosity-driven, discovery-based explorations and use-inspired, solutions-focused innovations are indeed the double helix that makes up the DNA of the U.S. National Science Foundation (NSF). The scientific pursuit of knowledge and understanding cannot be separated from the development of new technological capabilities. And in turn, those new capabilities allow us to pursue new research questions that were either unseen or out of our reach.
For the past 70 years, NSF has made transformative impacts possible through strategic, long-term commitments to advancing the entire spectrum of research, and through partnerships to catalyze new ideas, new discoveries, and new technologies.
Decades of investment have positioned the U.S. as the world leader in curiosity-driven research and resulted in breakthroughs in emerging fields from renewable energy to quantum computing and artificial intelligence. These discoveries have also resulted in translation of those research and innovations that have changed the world from smart phones to 3-D printing and much more.
To accelerate translation of knowledge to innovation outcomes requires looking at all the components that make it possible partnerships, infrastructure and most importantly, people. NSF helps nourish scientific careers by providing the support needed for researchers to explore bold ideas. Take for example, the multitude of programs, fellowships and career awards NSF provides to strengthen pathways into STEM fields, increase diversity and expand our reach into communities where talent exists.
Or look to NSF Innovation Corps, an education program that endows researchers with entrepreneurial skills to take their research from their lab to the market, leading to the creation of nurse robots at hospitals, the ability to find victims of human trafficking using AI, a device that recycles waste carbon dioxide into chemicals and fuels, and air purification for clinical environments.
How do we scale the impacts of examples like these? We bring more people into the fold, from diverse backgrounds. And we break down barriers between academic researchers, industry, nonprofits, and state and local communities. NSF has experience in this area through the relationships we have built with Historically Black Colleges and Universities and efforts like the Established Program to Stimulate Competitive Research, also known as EPSCoR, which increases research capabilities and capacity in targeted jurisdictions.We see the results in places like Alaska, where NSF has invested$20 million to support a research collaborationto produce improved models of how wildfires spread a critical local issue as climate change shrinks glaciers and creates new risks for forests.
Imagine the impact of creating engines of economic and talent development like these in every state, working on a range of crucial issues facing society and ensuring global competitiveness. Imagine networks of innovation that bring together people from a range of socioeconomic and geographic backgrounds, to tackle such challenges. NSF is taking this model to the next level empowering regional innovation hubs across the country to cultivate the dynamic collaborations necessary to tackle 21st-century science and engineering challenges.
Our nation is at a tipping point. We have a choice to make. We can unleash the full power of U.S. innovation, or we can risk diminished relevance. The choice is obvious, but we need to make it now.
Together, we must leverage all resources to speed pandemic recovery, strengthen our economy, and respond to environmental challenges. We can face these grand challenges together and make incredible discoveries in ways we have never done before. NSF is well positioned and ready to be that catalyst of innovation to make all of this possible.
Dr. Sethuraman Panchanathan is a computer scientist and engineer and the 15th director of the U.S. National Science Foundation.
See the article here:
- Rackspace Technology Named a Top 15 Sourcing Standout by ISG - GlobeNewswire - May 11th, 2021
- Enhancing the impact of Technology Modernization Fund - FCW.com - May 11th, 2021
- Converge Technology Solutions Corp. Wins Five IBM Awards Including Top North America National Sell Business Partner of the Year - PRNewswire - May 11th, 2021
- DLS Technology Corporation Recipient of the 2020 Citrix Innovation Award for Partners - GlobeNewswire - May 11th, 2021
- Hempacco and Open Book Extracts to Debut Hemp Cigarette Flavoring Technology at Industry's Largest Annual Trade Show - Yahoo Finance - May 11th, 2021
- Experts to Discuss the Future of the Technology Supply Chain - inForney.com - May 11th, 2021
- Funny faces in face recognition could increase phone security with new technology - NBC2 News - May 11th, 2021
- Technically speaking: How technology helped save independent Dallas restaurants during the pandemic - The Dallas Morning News - May 11th, 2021
- Why International Game Technology Stock Popped Today - Motley Fool - May 11th, 2021
- Lack of Time for Analysis, Adoption of New Technology and Data Limitations are Top Challenges Facing Finance Teams, According to insightsoftware... - May 11th, 2021
- High Technology Is Best STEM School In Nation - Patch.com - May 11th, 2021
- Multiple Texas State, Local Governments and Education Institutions Modernize with GTY Technology Solutions for Digital Transformation - Business Wire - May 11th, 2021
- 2022 Volkswagen Tiguan freshens up with new styling, technology, and touch controls - The Car Connection - May 11th, 2021
- Why Technology Could Be The Answer For The Global Obesity Epidemic - Yahoo Finance - May 11th, 2021
- Marchex to Participate in the 16th Annual Virtual Needham Virtual Technology & Media Conference - Business Wire - May 11th, 2021
- Merkle Technologies Set to Launch Revolutionary Blockchain Technology that will Enhance Ledger Communication - PRNewswire - May 11th, 2021
- Fungicide Approved with Three-Way Biological, Chemical and Nano Technologies - Agweb Powered by Farm Journal - May 11th, 2021
- Worldwide Mobile Robotics Industry to 2029 - Featuring Northrop Grumman, Adept Technology and John Deere Among Others - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - May 11th, 2021
- Global Sports Technology Market (2021 to 2026) - Featuring IBM, Cisco and Ericsson Among Others - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - May 11th, 2021
- 10 Hot Data Center Technologies And Trends To Watch In 2021 - CRN - May 11th, 2021
- Outlook on the Oleoresins Global Market to 2025 - by Manufacturers, Regions, Technology, Application and Product Type - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - May 11th, 2021
- FICS Hosts 34th Annual Users' Conference, Promotes Education in Technology for Continued Success - Business Wire - May 11th, 2021
- Loop inks LOI to become official technology partner to $2.7B All Net Resort and Arena Project in Las Vegas - Proactive Investors USA - May 11th, 2021
- Shift Technology raises $220M at a $1B+ valuation to fight insurance fraud with AI - TechCrunch - May 11th, 2021
- Hearing aids for the masses: How changing technology and government policy can help - The Denver Post - April 25th, 2021
- Safety belts, the postal 'service' and using technology - Antelope Valley Press - April 25th, 2021
- FHSU Hosting Technology Education Fair - KSAL - April 25th, 2021
- New Oriental Education & Technology Group (NYSE:EDU) May Have Issues Allocating Its Capital - Yahoo Finance - April 25th, 2021
- Cloud software marketplaces are linchpin to driving innovative technology solutions into DoD - C4ISRNet - April 25th, 2021
- Technology allowed Extension to keep doing its job - Traverse City Record Eagle - April 25th, 2021
- Abbott Vascular: delivering vascular care in 2021 | Technology & AI - Healthcare Global - Healthcare News, Magazine and Website - April 25th, 2021
- The Future of Retail: BOPIS 2.0 and RFID Technology | RFID JOURNAL - RFID Journal - April 25th, 2021
- How can technology bridge fintech and SMEs to ease the lending process - YourStory - April 25th, 2021
- The good, the bad and the truly horrifying potential of CRISPR technology | TheHill - The Hill - April 25th, 2021
- How Technology Is Revolutionizing Wildlife Photography - Fstoppers - April 25th, 2021
- This has just become a big week for AI regulation - MIT Technology Review - April 25th, 2021
- SEC Commissioner on Banning Bitcoin: 'It's Very Difficult to Ban Peer-to-Peer Technology' Regulation Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - April 25th, 2021
- Russia will rework technology developed for the ISS for its space station - SlashGear - April 25th, 2021
- Paritosh Jauhari Joins Successive Technologies as Chief Technology Officer - PR Newswire India - April 23rd, 2021
- Amazon's cashierless checkout technology is coming to its new supermarkets - CNBC - April 23rd, 2021
- Blockchain Technology Market Value Reach US$ 3.7 Billion By 2020 Covering Pre And Post COVID-19 Market Analysis: Acumen Research And Consulting -... - April 23rd, 2021
- Verrency Ranked Number 1 Fastest Growing Technology Company in Australia on the Deloitte Technology Fast 500 Asia Pacific 2020 Ranking - PRNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- Wearable technology market was valued at USD 116.2 billion in 2021 and is anticipated to reach USD 265.4 billion by 2026, growing at a CAGR of 18.0%... - April 23rd, 2021
- Sharing Economy International Invests to develop NFT Technology into ECrent to Open Up Digital Items Sharing - PRNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- Inclusive Making course focuses on disabled users in technology spaces - Daily Northwestern - April 23rd, 2021
- How smart technology can drive the decarbonisation of transport - AirQualityNews - April 23rd, 2021
- Abel Noser Solutions Expands Their Technology Group with New Hires - GlobeNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- EyeWay Vision Joins Technology Innovation Collective The LaSAR Alliance | ARPost - ARPost - April 23rd, 2021
- Visionox Technology, Inc. and Universal Display Corporation Extend Long-Term OLED Agreements - Business Wire - April 23rd, 2021
- SBA Announces First-of-Its-Kind Technology Initiative for Restaurant Revitalization Fund - Drgnews - April 23rd, 2021
- Dow and Mura Technology announce partnership to scale game-changing new advanced recycling solution for plastics - Yahoo Finance - April 23rd, 2021
- II-VI Incorporated Inaugurates Technology and R&D Center in Shanghai - GlobeNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- Skycatch Announces New Technology Initiatives to Achieve Climate-Resilient Infrastructure Globally - PRNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- JetBlue Technology Ventures Invests in Universal Hydrogen to Support the Airline's Ambitious Sustainability Strategy - Business Wire - April 23rd, 2021
- Apria Healthcare Collaborates with Rackspace Technology to Leave the Data Center Resulting in Improved Customer Experience and Increased Savings -... - April 23rd, 2021
- Interactive College of Technology and DeVry University Partner to Create Unique Academic Pathway to Offer Students Easy Transfer - Business Wire - April 23rd, 2021
- Airbiquity and NXP Expand Technology Collaboration to Address Automaker Challenges with Managing Software and Data for Intelligent Connected Vehicles... - April 23rd, 2021
- DNA technology leads to arrest of man accused of sexually assaulting girl at East Texas camp - Tyler Morning Telegraph - April 23rd, 2021
- Lumeda Selected as one of the 25 Technology Companies to Watch in the Greater Hartford Area - WFMZ Allentown - April 23rd, 2021
- Accelerating Turnover to New Technology Diesel Engines, Increased use of Biobased Diesel Fuels Ensures Steady Progress on Carbon Reduction, Clean Air... - April 23rd, 2021
- Professional Sports Authenticator Acquires Genamint to Introduce Next-Generation Technology to Grading Process - PRNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- When Seconds Count: The Technology That Saved Lives In Oologah's Powerful 1991 Tornado - News On 6 - April 23rd, 2021
- Digital Health Technologies Market is Projected to Reach USD 68.17 billion and Rise at CAGR of 4.80% by 2028 - GENERAL ELECTRIC COMPANY, Abbott, Bosch... - April 23rd, 2021
- How to Use Technology to Prepare for Travel During the Coronavirus Pandemic - The New York Times - April 15th, 2021
- Frasil: Deciphering Technology to Reduce Isolation and Improve Communication of PLWDs - Analytics Insight - April 15th, 2021
- The Blacks in Technology Foundation Partners with Apprenti to Increase Black Representation Across the Tech Industry - PRNewswire - April 15th, 2021
- Nokia technology chief: The future is in software - FierceWireless - April 15th, 2021
- DUG Technology, Curtin University Enter Into Supercomputing Partnership - HPCwire - April 15th, 2021
- Outlook on the Wireless Charging Global Market to 2026 - by Technology, Transmission Range, Application and Region - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business... - April 15th, 2021
- Beth.Technology Announces Major Rebrand to I/O Fund - Business Wire - April 15th, 2021
- Ivy Tech receives $17k in sheet metal donation for Automotive Technology Program - WANE - April 15th, 2021
- Fed OIGs Leveraging Technology to Adjust to Pandemic Landscape - MeriTalk - April 15th, 2021
- Pre- and Post-COVID, Technology Is Reshaping Admissions Forever | Call to Action: Marketing and Communications in Higher Education - Inside Higher Ed - April 15th, 2021
- We Dont Need Tech Infomercials - The New York Times - April 15th, 2021
- This information technology stock has zoomed 134% in 6 weeks - Business Standard - April 15th, 2021
- 2021 Leadership Quadrant of Millimeter Wave Technology Suppliers - 8 Companies Included Such as Ridgewave, E-Band and Lightpointe -... - April 15th, 2021
- Coronavirus vaccine technology is paving the way for a whole new approach to flu shots - The Spokesman-Review - April 15th, 2021
- Japan's ticket to zero carbon could be century-old technology - The Japan Times - April 15th, 2021
- ABERDEEN INTERNATIONAL (TSX:AAB, FR:A8H, OTC:AABVF) Technology Partner T2M Global Selected by the US Department Of Energy to Use AES-100 Technology to... - April 15th, 2021
- Advanced Manufacturing Technology (AMT) TechVision Opportunity, Annual Subscription - Latest Global Innovations and Developments - Yahoo Finance UK - April 15th, 2021