Last summer, Brian Besser, Drug Enforcement Administration District Agent in charge of Utah, told reporters that Mexican drug cartels have all of a sudden gotten involved in this vape cartridge industry, and reasonably so, because they know they are going to make money off of it.
This makes sense. Prohibition incentivizesinnovations in the production and distribution of illicit substances to make detection more difficult. It is very hard to identify illicit drugs that are processed in liquid form and combined with scented juices in vaping cartridges.
On November 1, Agent Besser informed reporters of a DEA intelligence report stating illicit fentanyl is being found in bootleg vaping cartridges in various parts of the country, although not yet in Utah.
The Utah Department of Health reports more than 100 people have been hospitalized in the state for vaping-related illness, with one death. 90 percent of the patients admitted to using bootleg THC cartridges.
There is a grim lesson in this tragic intersection of the war on drugs with the war on vaping: prohibition kills.
Prohibition of marijuana promotes bootleg and homemade concoctions of THC vaping liquids sold in cartridges in the underground market, where they are often mixed with unsafe solvents. Prohibition of opioids causes innovativeand more deadlyways of producing and distributing the drugs.
Now Axios reports the Food and Drug Administration may announce plans next week to ban all flavored vaping products except for tobacco and menthol. Menthol and tobacco flavored liquids will remain legal because those flavors are believed to be more popular with adults than children.
But as I have written, flavored vaping cartridges are the preferred method of more than 90 percent of adults who use e-cigarettes to switch off of much more harmful tobacco smoking. This deprivesadult tobacco smokersof an effective means of harm reduction. And the sale of e-cigarettes to those under age 18 has been prohibited since 2016.
Minors who wish to vape are still managing to get their e-cigarettes in the underground market. Once flavored liquids are banned, diverted legal and regulated flavored vaping cartridges will no longer be one of thesources for their preferred kind of vaping. They will have to rely on bootleg vaping cartridges sold in the black market, which are fast becoming a new industry for Mexican drug cartels.
Illicit fentanyl is already the number one cause of opioid-related overdose deaths, comprising nearly 90 percent of opioid overdose deaths in places like Massachusetts.
If the FDA goes through with a ban on flavored vaping cartridges, expect news reports of an epidemic of vaping-related deaths in minors attributed to fentanyl.
- A Bill to End the War on Drugs - Psychiatric Times - June 18th, 2021
- Vision for Justice Campaign Demands an End to the War on Drugs - Civilrights.org - June 18th, 2021
- Poll: Abandon The War On Drugs And Decriminalize - The Appeal - June 18th, 2021
- On anniversary of the war on drugs, CT sends recreational cannabis bill to Gov's desk - FOX 61 - June 18th, 2021
- 50 years later, end the war on drugs | Columns | stardem.com - The Star Democrat - June 18th, 2021
- Why Mexico Needs to Demilitarize the "War on Drugs" - The National Interest - June 18th, 2021
- Oregon's Pioneering Drug Decriminalization Experiment Is Now Facing The Hard Test - NPR - June 18th, 2021
- Congressman Cohen Questions Expert Witnesses at a Hearing on Sentencing Reform - Congressman Steve Cohen - June 18th, 2021
- 50 years in, the war on drugs is an unmitigated disaster - Politics.co.uk - June 4th, 2021
- Bidens proposed budget keeps a block on recreational weed sales in Washington, DC - The Verge - June 4th, 2021
- Industry VoicesVaccines are pivotal in the war on COVID-19, but better treatments for acute COVID patients are critical - FierceHealthcare - June 4th, 2021
- Missouri Feels the Pain of Drug Dependency and Overdose More than Most States - Flatland - June 4th, 2021
- Human Rights Watch Urges Congress to Support the MORE Act - Human Rights Watch - June 4th, 2021
- 'Crack: Cocaine, Corruption & Conspiracy' Exposes The Truth About The War On Drugs - KALW - May 22nd, 2021
- When the Black Panthers and Young Lords Teamed Up to Fight Addiction with Acupuncture - Hyperallergic - May 22nd, 2021
- Bill to Decriminalize Possession and Personal Use of Psychedelics Headed for Full Senate Vote - EastCountyToday - May 22nd, 2021
- Cookies and WebberWild Join Forces to Launch Cookies U - PRNewswire - May 22nd, 2021
- Herbarium Hosts The CBX Takeover for The Last Prisoner Project - PRNewswire - May 22nd, 2021
- Judge rejects plan to ban people with drug arrests from the Tenderloin | 48 hills - 48 Hills - May 20th, 2021
- Cannabis may be legalized, but criminal justice reform is still needed - The Commonwealth Times - May 9th, 2021
- How Washington Lost the Ultimate Drug War - LA Progressive - May 9th, 2021
- "Belly of the Beast" Excerpt: The War on Drugs and the War on Obesity - Wear Your Voice - May 4th, 2021
- In final case the court will hear this term, profound issues of race, incarceration and the war on drugs - SCOTUSblog - May 4th, 2021
- We Need To Recognize That The War In Afghanistan Is Not Our Longest War - The Fresh Toast - May 4th, 2021
- COVID has kept some struggling with drug addiction from getting help - WQAD.com - May 4th, 2021
- Weed Limit: Pot prohibitionists regurgitate tired tropes from the bygone days of the War on Drugs - Tucson Weekly - May 4th, 2021
- CHRONICLE: How the pandemic changed the war on drugs - KETV Omaha - April 25th, 2021
- Six Things Feminists Should Know About the War on Drugs - Ms. Magazine - April 25th, 2021
- War on drugs, and peace - The Riverdale Press - April 25th, 2021
- In Opinions: Yes, the War on Drugs disproportionately targets minorities - The Signal - The Signal - April 25th, 2021
- 10 Famous Entrepreneurs Who Are Against The War On Drugs - Benzinga - April 25th, 2021
- Washington AG urges legislators to 'move away from a war on drugs' - KUOW News and Information - April 25th, 2021
- These Beauty Brands Are Trying to Fix the Damage Caused by the War on Drugs - Allure - April 25th, 2021
- When Crack Kills: Media, Misinformation and the Truth About the War on Drugs - The Root - April 25th, 2021
- Drug Take Back Day providing a safe way to dispose of unused or expired medications in Toledo - WTOL - April 11th, 2021
- Opinion | After Blake, will Washington state repay victims of the war on drugs? - Crosscut - April 9th, 2021
- Baltimore ends war on drugs with plot line straight from The Wire - The Independent - April 9th, 2021
- Tusinski: Weed is winning the war on drugs. Good. The Rocky Mountain Collegian - Rocky Mountain Collegian - April 9th, 2021
- President Biden isn't 'too busy' to carry out the cruelties of the Drug War - Leafly - April 9th, 2021
- Drug war logs 186 killings in first quarter of the year amid surge in COVID-19 cases - Vera Files - Vera Files - April 9th, 2021
- States Keep Repeating the Same Mistake With Marijuana Legalization - Slate - April 9th, 2021
- A Murderous Plague in the Philippines - The Bullet - Socialist Project - April 9th, 2021
- Name Ministers, cops involved with drug dealers: Manipur Congress - The Hindu - April 9th, 2021
- 'Has Marijuana Changed or Have We?' - Syracuse University News - April 9th, 2021
- The US War on Drugs is Driving the Displacement Crisis - FPIF - Foreign Policy In Focus - April 4th, 2021
- Baltimore: How one of America's deadliest cities ended the war on drugs - with help from The Wire - Telegraph.co.uk - April 4th, 2021
- Greens pledge to end 'failed' war on drugs and tackle crisis with health policy - HeraldScotland - April 4th, 2021
- Disastrous US Drug War Is Key Driver of Displacement in Central America - Common Dreams - April 4th, 2021
- Senate Democrats pledge to reform marijuana laws and repair the damage done by the war on drugs - The Independent - April 4th, 2021
- Indiecast: Looking Back To 2011 With The War On Drugs, And More - UPROXX - April 4th, 2021
- Manipur: Drug peddler arrested with 84 kg of opium worth over Rs 4 crore - The Indian Express - April 4th, 2021
- Opinion: Treat Drug Use Like the Public Health Risk That It Is Maryland Matters - Josh Kurtz - April 4th, 2021
- Baltimore City State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby: 'The War on Drugs Is Over' - Essence - March 31st, 2021
- Bill Maher Blasts America's Excessive Spending And 'Drug War' On HBO's 'Real Time' - Decider - March 31st, 2021
- Saskatchewan First Nation creates its own police force to enforce a war on drugs - Toronto Star - March 31st, 2021
- War on drugs! - The Point - The Point - March 31st, 2021
- Biden, Harris showing their true colors with their long-standing war on 'drugs' - Southgate News Herald - March 31st, 2021
- CHR finds strong indication of intent to kill in Dutertes war on drugs - GMA News - March 31st, 2021
- CA Supreme Court issues historic ruling its unconstitutional to detain people who cannot afford bail; Plus: How will Oakland spend its federal... - March 31st, 2021
- Poundmaker Cree Nation declares state of emergency to fight the war on drugs - Global News - March 31st, 2021
- Firms and labour markets in times of violence | VOX, CEPR Policy Portal - voxeu.org - March 31st, 2021
- Fluresh Invests In Next Generation Of Cannabis Industry With The Launch Of The 'Fluresh Accelerator' Program - PRNewswire - March 31st, 2021
- The Biden Administration Takes a Step Toward Undoing the Damage of the War on Drugs - Slate - March 21st, 2021
- The New War-on-Drugs Target: White House Staffers - National Review - March 21st, 2021
- Opinion | The United States should decriminalize all drugs - University of Pittsburgh The Pitt News - March 21st, 2021
- PAX Labs Explores the 'Human Toll' of America's War on Cannabis - Muse by Clio - March 21st, 2021
- Bounty programs: Ineffective in the war on money laundering - The Conversation CA - March 21st, 2021
- Billie Holiday was the godmother of civil rights: Andra Day on playing the first lady of blues - VOGUE India - March 21st, 2021
- How The War On Drugs Reinforced Structural Racism - Benzinga - March 7th, 2021
- The war on drugs took him across the country. Now, he's back home to lead the DEA's Houston office. - Houston Chronicle - March 7th, 2021
- Why It's Time to Abandon Drug Courts - Crime Report - March 7th, 2021
- Philippines drug war victims land in leased graves that expire - Los Angeles Times - March 7th, 2021
- Cannabis should be regulated like tobacco and alcohol, ADPD says - MaltaToday - March 7th, 2021
- Trump's Policy Failures Have Exacted a Heavy Toll on Public Health - Scientific American - March 7th, 2021
- 'A Sledgehammer To The War On Drugs': Oregon Decriminalizes Illegal Drugs - Here And Now - February 8th, 2021
- New coalition looking to end the War on Drugs - New Jersey Globe | New Jersey Politics - February 8th, 2021
- End the failed war on drugs - Gainesville Sun - February 8th, 2021
- What the War on Drugs Can Teach Us About Fighting COVID-19 - Reason - February 8th, 2021
- The PNP Chiefs' Scorecard on the War on Drugs; Bato Tops in the Number of Kills - Vera Files - Vera Files - February 8th, 2021
- War on use of mushrooms, cacti and ayahuasca has been called off in Cambridge by council order - Cambridge Day - February 8th, 2021