Last summer, Brian Besser, Drug Enforcement Administration District Agent in charge of Utah, told reporters that Mexican drug cartels have all of a sudden gotten involved in this vape cartridge industry, and reasonably so, because they know they are going to make money off of it.
This makes sense. Prohibition incentivizesinnovations in the production and distribution of illicit substances to make detection more difficult. It is very hard to identify illicit drugs that are processed in liquid form and combined with scented juices in vaping cartridges.
On November 1, Agent Besser informed reporters of a DEA intelligence report stating illicit fentanyl is being found in bootleg vaping cartridges in various parts of the country, although not yet in Utah.
The Utah Department of Health reports more than 100 people have been hospitalized in the state for vaping-related illness, with one death. 90 percent of the patients admitted to using bootleg THC cartridges.
There is a grim lesson in this tragic intersection of the war on drugs with the war on vaping: prohibition kills.
Prohibition of marijuana promotes bootleg and homemade concoctions of THC vaping liquids sold in cartridges in the underground market, where they are often mixed with unsafe solvents. Prohibition of opioids causes innovativeand more deadlyways of producing and distributing the drugs.
Now Axios reports the Food and Drug Administration may announce plans next week to ban all flavored vaping products except for tobacco and menthol. Menthol and tobacco flavored liquids will remain legal because those flavors are believed to be more popular with adults than children.
But as I have written, flavored vaping cartridges are the preferred method of more than 90 percent of adults who use e-cigarettes to switch off of much more harmful tobacco smoking. This deprivesadult tobacco smokersof an effective means of harm reduction. And the sale of e-cigarettes to those under age 18 has been prohibited since 2016.
Minors who wish to vape are still managing to get their e-cigarettes in the underground market. Once flavored liquids are banned, diverted legal and regulated flavored vaping cartridges will no longer be one of thesources for their preferred kind of vaping. They will have to rely on bootleg vaping cartridges sold in the black market, which are fast becoming a new industry for Mexican drug cartels.
Illicit fentanyl is already the number one cause of opioid-related overdose deaths, comprising nearly 90 percent of opioid overdose deaths in places like Massachusetts.
If the FDA goes through with a ban on flavored vaping cartridges, expect news reports of an epidemic of vaping-related deaths in minors attributed to fentanyl.
- The War on Drugs has caused more harm than good - The Maine Wire - August 6th, 2020
- Police in Floyd County have new tool to fight the war on drugs - FOX 5 Atlanta - August 6th, 2020
- The Floret Coalition Is Adapting the Giving Circle Model to Help Address the Damage of the War on Drugs - Willamette Week - August 6th, 2020
- Exposing Rodrigo Duterte's War on the Free Press - Hyperallergic - August 6th, 2020
- Fighting the Yaba Pill: The Death Toll Mounts in Bangladesh's Drug War - DER SPIEGEL - August 6th, 2020
- Guardia Civil execute huge drugs bust in the war on crime in Torrevieja - Euro Weekly News - August 6th, 2020
- Death Penalty Danger in the Philippines - Human Rights Watch - August 6th, 2020
- WE'RE IN THE MONEY, MAYBE | Cap City - Illinois Times - August 6th, 2020
- China Is Waging Cyber-Enabled Economic War on the U.S. How to Fight Back. - Barron's - August 6th, 2020
- Juvenile Records Laws Must Be Reformed to Prevent Ongoing Racism - Juvenile Justice Information Exchange - August 6th, 2020
- How the Pandemic Defeated America - The Atlantic - August 6th, 2020
- The road to riches - Illinois Times - August 6th, 2020
- Dominion, Decriminalization, and Demilitarizing the Police: An Exclusive Q&A With Jennifer McClellan - rvamag.com - August 6th, 2020
- Reparations is a nonstarter in Congress. Not in this Southern city. - The Christian Science Monitor - August 6th, 2020
- Advancing Equity: Women's Crisis Center staff repeats this phrase and means it 'We are still here' - User-generated content - August 6th, 2020
- 7 of the best Steven Soderbergh films to watch right now, from crime dramas to caper comedies - Minneapolis Star Tribune - August 6th, 2020
- The hidden face of the war in Cabo Delgado - defenceWeb - August 6th, 2020
- Opinion Defining defunding the police to help our community - The CT Mirror - August 6th, 2020
- Saratoga Jewish Community Arts to present virtual panel discussion on the film '13th' - The Saratogian - July 21st, 2020
- The US 'war' on drugs - newagebd.net - July 21st, 2020
- As the War on Drugs Relentlessly Grinds On, Overdose Deaths Relentlessly Mount - Cato Institute - July 21st, 2020
- The Business of Drugs: Why The US Drug War Can NEVER Be Won - Screen Rant - July 21st, 2020
- 20 charged as part of sheriff's 'War on Drugs' - ABC 36 News - WTVQ - July 21st, 2020
- Activists take to the streets to call for marijuana legalization in N.J. - NJ.com - July 21st, 2020
- Police Murders and the War on Drugs - LA Progressive - July 21st, 2020
- Austin, Texas, Just Voted to End the Drug War - The Nation - July 21st, 2020
- The Genius Of The War On Drugs A Deeper Understanding - Guitar.com - July 21st, 2020
- Legislation Introduced That Would End Mandatory Incarceration for Nonviolent Drug Offenders - The Peoples Vanguard of Davis - July 21st, 2020
- Colombia to kick off congressional year with cocaine decriminalization bill - Colombia Reports - July 21st, 2020
- The Business of Drugs: Why Amaryllis Fox Is The Perfect Host - Screen Rant - July 21st, 2020
- How a miracle drug changed the fight against infection during World War II - The Union Leader - July 21st, 2020
- As Philippines fights coronavirus, some fear involvement of the police - Reuters - July 21st, 2020
- Netflix's The Business Of Drugs Review: Cocaine, Meth, and More | TechQuila - TechQuila - July 21st, 2020
- The People: bridging distance and differences in a pandemic - The Fulcrum - July 21st, 2020
- Covid-19 in Philippines: Police deployed to implement fresh lockdowns - The Indian Express - July 21st, 2020
- Pressure from Manipur CM Biren Singh to drop drugs case: cop to court - The Indian Express - July 21st, 2020
- The Newcastle Herald's Opinion, Thursday, July 16, 2020: What value the 'war on drugs' when substance use is 'normalised' in society? - Newcastle... - July 21st, 2020
- Decades of promised police reforms have failed to alter a culture of abuse and racism - Milwaukee Independent - July 21st, 2020
- Lessons From a Global Reckoning: D.C. Looks to Make 14-Year-Old Social Studies Standards More Inclusive as Cities Nationwide Grapple With Re-Engaging... - July 21st, 2020
- Philippines war on drugs may have killed tens of thousands, says UN - The Guardian - June 6th, 2020
- Trump Reelection Campaign Attacks Biden As 'Architect' Of The War On Drugs - Marijuana Moment - June 6th, 2020
- Dan Adams On The Racist War On Drugs, And Why Equity Licensing Matters - wgbh.org - June 6th, 2020
- The Man Who Started the War on Drugs - OZY - June 6th, 2020
- From Iceland Iceland-Backed UN Report Condemns Filipino Government's War On Drugs - Reykjavk Grapevine - June 6th, 2020
- How American Race Relations Shaped Lives of Current, Former Seahawks - Sports Illustrated - June 6th, 2020
- Gardai start special war on drugs operation in Finglas as 'horrific' day time images surface online - Dublin Live - June 6th, 2020
- Change comes from marching in streets and to the ballot box - Rockford Register Star - June 6th, 2020
- Decades of Americas drug wars led up to the riots of today - RT - June 6th, 2020
- Defund the Police - The Atlantic - June 6th, 2020
- The right is trying to link George Soros and George Floyd protests. Don't let it. - NBC News - June 6th, 2020
- Calum Marsh: Defunding the police isn't radical. It's so lucid it's a wonder it took a movement to catch on - National Post - June 6th, 2020
- It's a war on the poor why the war on drugs is still sweeping the globe - Morning Star Online - May 29th, 2020
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Where is NAACP's outrage toward abortion, black-on-black crime? - Anniston Star - May 29th, 2020
- In this documentary, Duterte's drug war is a hunt for the aswang - CNN Philippines - May 29th, 2020
- Colombia to receive US Army unit on June 1 for counter-narcotics support - The City Paper Bogot - May 29th, 2020
- No time to be selling arms to the Philippines | TheHill - The Hill - May 29th, 2020
- The battle of COVID in the 'quiet war' on China | TheHill - The Hill - May 29th, 2020
- Stevenson: We have to find ways to create more equality, more opportunity, more justice - Harvard Law School News - May 29th, 2020
- US declares a vaccine war on the world - Asia Times - May 29th, 2020
- Here's new movies and shows to stream in June on Netflix, HBO Max, Hulu and Prime Video - Tulsa World - May 29th, 2020
- Kalen & Aslyn Narrate and Rekindle Their Love on Girlfriend - American Songwriter - May 29th, 2020
- Editorial: On Memorial Day, we recognize our collective debt - Los Angeles Times - May 29th, 2020
- Fighting Addiction and a Pandemic to Keep St. Louis' Unhoused Alive - Riverfront Times - May 29th, 2020
- NMS hires 225 medics in heightened war on Covid-19 - The Star, Kenya - May 29th, 2020
- War on Drugs - Timeline in America, Definition & Facts ... - May 24th, 2020
- A Hidden Origin Story of the CBD Craze - The New York Times - May 24th, 2020
- War Metaphors and the Return to Campus | Confessions of a Community College Dean - Inside Higher Ed - May 24th, 2020
- Police bust over one ton of drugs in SE Iran - Mehr News Agency - English Version - May 24th, 2020
- Breonna Taylor Is One of a Shocking Number of Black People to See Armed Police Barge Into Their Homes - Mother Jones - May 24th, 2020
- The US has declared a vaccine war on the world - Morning Star Online - May 24th, 2020
- My turn: Three cheers for copper in war on pandemics - Concord Monitor - May 24th, 2020
- Joe Biden's 'Bold' Thinking Shredded Civil Liberties and Destroyed Lives - Reason - May 24th, 2020
- US Declares Vaccine War on the World - NewsClick - May 24th, 2020
- These Are the Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in June - TV Guide - May 24th, 2020
- Kurt Vile and Cate Le Bon come together on 8/21 at the Theatre at Ace Hotel - mxdwn.com - May 24th, 2020
- Access to PH Justice System Suffers Amid the Lockdown - Philippine Center for Investigative Journalism - May 24th, 2020
- Rife with torture and corruption, Cambodia must overhaul its "war on drugs" - Amnesty International - May 14th, 2020
- Ivo Daalder: No, were not at war. The dangers of how we talk about the COVID-19 pandemic - TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press - May 14th, 2020
- Vice Chief submits legislation to harshen penalties for tribal drug offenses - The Cherokee One Feather - Cherokee One Feather - May 14th, 2020
- Key Mexican cartel member with ties to a billionaire fugitive extradited to US - Courier Journal - May 14th, 2020