From left: Ashley Reid, founder and CEO of Wellist; Dusty Donaldson, founder of LiveLung; Chuck Gershman, co-founder, president and COO of Kuveda; and moderator Howard Krein, CMO of StartUp Health
One thing is clear: There are a plethora ofstakeholders in the healthcare ecosystem. And in trying to bring everyone together, we often neglect to tie in the most important part of the equation: the patient.
In a panel at MedCity CONVERGE, a group of panelists touched on the significance of patient engagement, particularly in oncology care. Perhaps unsurprisingly, all three panelists have personal ties to cancer. KuvedaCOO Chuck Gershmans father was diagnosed with cancer, Wellist CEO Ashley Reids mother had breast cancer and LiveLung founder Dusty Donaldson is a lung cancer survivor.
Due in part to their experiences, they each formed their own organizations.
Gershman co-founded Kuveda, a company that utilizes analytics and genomics to create cancer treatment options unique to each patient. Reid founded Wellist, which works to ensure healthcare organizations are giving patients access to their nonclinical needs. And Donaldsons LiveLung seeks to spread awareness of and support patients with lung cancer.
While the startups go about it differently, they all share the same goal: to empower the patient.
Kuveda wants to do so through personalized medicine. This year, approximately 14 million people are going to be diagnosed with cancer globally, Gershman said. But only 200,000 to 300,000 of them are going to get access to precision medicine. The company wants to bridge that gap.
Wellist looks at patient engagement a little differently. It provides its clients (such UPMC Hillman Cancer Center) with analytics solutions and the tools to connect patients with supportive communities. We exist to be a one stop shop so patients and nurses can get connected to organizations like Dustys, Reid said.
LiveLung exists to advocate for patients and to end the stigma surrounding lung cancer. By working with cancer centers and nurse navigators, its primary mission is to serve the lung cancer population.
And for each of the companies, technology is one of the keydrivers of ensuring patients are engaged with their diagnosis and treatment options.
Gershman, whose organization is in the process of building a patient portal, neatly summarized the mindset of patients today: Its no longer the doctor is God.' Instead, theyre looking online to find information.
Donaldson agreed. Patients are Googling. Caregivers are Googling, she noted. The Internet is definitely a huge player. Websites not only serve as a tool for patients to find information, but also for survivors to share their stories and connect.
Whether through tech or other means, empowerment comes down to recognizing that each individual has different needs.
Patient engagement is really getting to the heart of the patient whos going through whatever theyre going through, Donaldson concluded.
Photo: Justin Lawrence
- Phenomenal Women organization aims to empower community - The McDaniel Free Press - November 11th, 2019
- From Startup To Over $1 Billion In Less Than 4 Years. Lessons And Growing Pains. - Inc. - November 11th, 2019
- How can we solve homelessness? Listen to the people who have experienced it. - America Magazine - November 11th, 2019
- Growing confidence through empowerment: What women need to advance in travel - PhocusWire - November 11th, 2019
- Arts Scene: Sutherland to play Mozart with TSO - Tulsa World - November 11th, 2019
- Why Anne Nicholas brings her husband to women's empowerment talks - NBC News - November 11th, 2019
- The Cold War roots of Silicon Valley - Spiked - November 11th, 2019
- Tim Hortons Volunteer of the Month - Alberta Daily Herald Tribune - November 11th, 2019
- Sexual trauma victims said self-care and support groups were some of the most helpful methods for healing - Business Insider - November 11th, 2019
- In the first of a series of articles on wealth, Bruce Sheppard probes what wealth actually is and details how he measures wealth through a formula -... - November 11th, 2019
- Hartley Gets Candid About Her Incredible New Single 'Own' - Junkee - November 11th, 2019
- Supporting art and women empowerment READ MORE - Gulf Times - November 11th, 2019
- Fascism in Translation - Boston Review - November 11th, 2019
- Here's how a UNC alumna is using pupusas to tackle education inequity - The Daily Tar Heel - November 11th, 2019
- Inside the New Coalition Fighting for Reproductive Justice in the Southeast - Ms. Magazine - November 11th, 2019
- The Nairobi Summit Is about the Future of Humanity and Human Prosperity - Inter Press Service - November 11th, 2019
- How We Chose the 2019 SELF Fitness Award Winners - Self - November 11th, 2019
- Female empowerment 'can't happen without men', says Duchess of Sussex - The Scotsman - October 27th, 2019
- Duchess of Sussex: Equality can't happen without men being a part of it - HeraldScotland - October 27th, 2019
- Empower women to thrive in business - The Mandarin - October 27th, 2019
- New Site Sets Black Women Up as the Sheroes of Their Own Retirement Savings - Black Enterprise - October 27th, 2019
- Cara Santana Is Bringing Diversity To Mainstream Fashion With Her Apt 9 x Kohls Collection - Forbes - October 27th, 2019
- Marco Pav, Georgetown's First Hip-Hop Artist-In-Residence: A Conversation on Rap, Social Justice, and Self-Empowerment - The Georgetown Voice - October 27th, 2019
- Briar Cliff University hosts their first Women's Leadership Summit - KTIV - October 27th, 2019
- The 405 Exchange: VRIT on the artistic growth of New Skin - The 405 - October 27th, 2019
- From hunger to transportation, San Diego youth work on their own Bill of Rights - The San Diego Union-Tribune - October 27th, 2019
- Milestone year for Tapestry of Women's annual conference - Cochrane Today - October 27th, 2019
- Labour MPs on why they backed Boris Johnsons Brexit bill - The Guardian - October 27th, 2019
- Edited Transcript of 601328.SS earnings conference call or presentation 25-Oct-19 9:00am GMT - Yahoo Finance - October 27th, 2019
- The struggles of being non-binary at university - The Student - October 27th, 2019
- Soldier and Family Readiness Groups empower spouses, support a ready force - United States Army - October 24th, 2019
- More new mothers are finding empowerment in exercise, but there's one major barrier - ABC News - October 24th, 2019
- Embedding a diverse and inclusive culture, from the beginning - Irish Times - October 24th, 2019
- Former Rutgers Football Star Eric LeGrand on How He Turned Personal Tragedy into Empowerment for Others - Grit Daily - October 24th, 2019
- 5 successful women share their confidence-boosting secrets - harpersbazaar.com - October 24th, 2019
- Mary Kay Inc. Continues Its Mission of Enriching Womens Lives With Support of the Texas Conference for Women - Yahoo Finance - October 24th, 2019
- Gifting Empowerment On Diwali For Last 75 Yrs: This Organisation Trains Visually-Impaired On Multiple Skills - The Logical Indian - October 24th, 2019
- Megan Thee Stallion Claps Back At Makeup Artist Who Accused Her Of Stealing Credit - Urban Islandz - October 24th, 2019
- If Harry and Meghan would just shut up, they'd soon be left alone - The Conservative Woman - October 24th, 2019
- Pat Renzi: Appreciate your expertise but be willing to learn from anyone - Thrive Global - October 24th, 2019
- Psychedelic Feminism Champions Cultural Evolution in the Age of Extinction - PR Web - October 24th, 2019
- Orlando Summit Seeks to Empower LGBTQ Youth to Live Authentically in Personal, Professional Lives - WMFE - October 20th, 2019
- Empowerment self defense workshops to begin on Tuesday - The Bowdoin Orient - October 20th, 2019
- Fixing World Crises: The Women of 'SEVEN' are Succeeding and Inspiring - DC Metro Theater Arts - October 20th, 2019
- Sagamites Club Floats Fund to Empower Small Businesses, Youths - THISDAY Newspapers - October 20th, 2019
- You can rent Barbie's Malibu Dreamhouse on Airbnb for just US$60 a night - National Post - October 20th, 2019
- Outlook Has Shined Light On Womens Efforts To Get Their Voices Heard: Indranil Roy, CEO Outlook - Outlook India - October 20th, 2019
- All American Boy Band - The Yale Politic - October 20th, 2019
- How To Build A Culture Based On Inclusivity - Forbes - October 20th, 2019
- There Are No More Second Chances - The McGill International Review - October 20th, 2019
- How to experience the psychic arts without getting scammed - Las Vegas Sun - October 20th, 2019
- NRM and Opposition Troubles Before the Storm - Uganda Media Centre - October 20th, 2019
- Female Playwrights Are on Form (for the Most Part) - The New York Times - October 20th, 2019
- Mooresville couple teaches children to defend themselves - and so much more - Mooresville Tribune - October 16th, 2019
- How Silicon Valley Broke the Economy - The Nation - October 16th, 2019
- Lets Not Forget the Boys - Thrive Global - October 16th, 2019
- New app supporting the future women of STEM - SciTech Europa - October 16th, 2019
- Invest in girls and you empower an entire nation - Opinion - Ahram Online - October 16th, 2019
- Civic engagement and empowerment changes lives - The International Examiner - October 16th, 2019
- Integrating Nope and Never Again | University of Venus - Inside Higher Ed - October 16th, 2019
- Couple celebrate 40th anniversary as volunteer tourists | News - The Sun - October 16th, 2019
- Operation Hope founder: 'I grew up in Compton' without capitalism, 'I wouldn't be who I am' - CNBC - October 16th, 2019
- Money Experience Offers Financial Education Program To Canton High School Through Partnership With Canton Co-Operative Bank - PRNewswire - October 16th, 2019
- Beauty and empowerment go hand-in-hand for Aurelia - Review - October 16th, 2019
- Longer lives mean seasoned employees will need help to adjust to digital workplaces View - Euronews - October 16th, 2019
- Rewind the 2010s: Best Albums of the Decade - Fordham Ram - October 16th, 2019
- Gina Rodriguez apologizes, amid backlash, for saying the N-word - Vox.com - October 16th, 2019
- 7 great beauty podcasts you should be listening to while getting ready in the morning - VOGUE India - October 16th, 2019
- Walking can be a full cardio and wellbeing experience - ABC Local - October 16th, 2019
- A turbulent transition: South Africa's opposition party faces a rocky future - The Conversation Africa - October 16th, 2019
- A turbulent transition: DA faces a rocky future - Mail and Guardian - October 16th, 2019
- Helping others is not about personal gain - POST-COURIER - August 22nd, 2017
- Personal leadership to give cos competitive advantage - Times of India - August 22nd, 2017
- Redlands East Valley student represents city at state, national Girl State mock government camps - Redlands Daily Facts - August 22nd, 2017
- Accessible Public Transport: The Whole Journey - Sourceable - August 22nd, 2017
- Infosys' Sikka's resignation letter: 'I now need to... return to an environment of respect, trust and empowerment' - Khaleej Times - August 20th, 2017
- Seminar on women empowerment held - The New Indian Express - August 20th, 2017
- Monthly On line personal loan for bad credit direct lenders - The Santa Clara - August 20th, 2017
- Africa's second liberation will be women's empowerment | News ... - Mail & Guardian - August 15th, 2017
- PM: Youth entrepreneurial empowerment to be 'major focus' of ... - Bahamas Tribune - August 15th, 2017