From left: Ashley Reid, founder and CEO of Wellist; Dusty Donaldson, founder of LiveLung; Chuck Gershman, co-founder, president and COO of Kuveda; and moderator Howard Krein, CMO of StartUp Health
One thing is clear: There are a plethora ofstakeholders in the healthcare ecosystem. And in trying to bring everyone together, we often neglect to tie in the most important part of the equation: the patient.
In a panel at MedCity CONVERGE, a group of panelists touched on the significance of patient engagement, particularly in oncology care. Perhaps unsurprisingly, all three panelists have personal ties to cancer. KuvedaCOO Chuck Gershmans father was diagnosed with cancer, Wellist CEO Ashley Reids mother had breast cancer and LiveLung founder Dusty Donaldson is a lung cancer survivor.
Due in part to their experiences, they each formed their own organizations.
Gershman co-founded Kuveda, a company that utilizes analytics and genomics to create cancer treatment options unique to each patient. Reid founded Wellist, which works to ensure healthcare organizations are giving patients access to their nonclinical needs. And Donaldsons LiveLung seeks to spread awareness of and support patients with lung cancer.
While the startups go about it differently, they all share the same goal: to empower the patient.
Kuveda wants to do so through personalized medicine. This year, approximately 14 million people are going to be diagnosed with cancer globally, Gershman said. But only 200,000 to 300,000 of them are going to get access to precision medicine. The company wants to bridge that gap.
Wellist looks at patient engagement a little differently. It provides its clients (such UPMC Hillman Cancer Center) with analytics solutions and the tools to connect patients with supportive communities. We exist to be a one stop shop so patients and nurses can get connected to organizations like Dustys, Reid said.
LiveLung exists to advocate for patients and to end the stigma surrounding lung cancer. By working with cancer centers and nurse navigators, its primary mission is to serve the lung cancer population.
And for each of the companies, technology is one of the keydrivers of ensuring patients are engaged with their diagnosis and treatment options.
Gershman, whose organization is in the process of building a patient portal, neatly summarized the mindset of patients today: Its no longer the doctor is God.' Instead, theyre looking online to find information.
Donaldson agreed. Patients are Googling. Caregivers are Googling, she noted. The Internet is definitely a huge player. Websites not only serve as a tool for patients to find information, but also for survivors to share their stories and connect.
Whether through tech or other means, empowerment comes down to recognizing that each individual has different needs.
Patient engagement is really getting to the heart of the patient whos going through whatever theyre going through, Donaldson concluded.
Photo: Justin Lawrence
- Religion news May 23 - The Republic - May 24th, 2020
- Mary Kay Inc. Continues Its Support of Women's Empowerment at the International Women's Forum TIME'S UP Virtual Conference - Financial Post - May 24th, 2020
- All in the Trump family: meet the presidents surrogates and strategists - The Guardian - May 24th, 2020
- Mary Kay Inc. continues its support of womens empowerment at the International Womens Forum TIMES UP Virtual Conference - ANTARA - May 24th, 2020
- The importance of acting on grand bargain commitments for a meaningful focus on gender in cash and voucher assistance responses to the Covid-19... - May 24th, 2020
- Beyond the Boys Club: Maria Brink of In This Moment - Consequence of Sound - May 24th, 2020
- Art to create awareness about the pandemic - Deccan Herald - May 24th, 2020
- OPINION | Teachers should be seen as frontline workers and will need all our support - News24 - May 24th, 2020
- Find a balance to fighting coronavirus | HeraldNet.com - The Daily Herald - May 15th, 2020
- Trust, compassion, clear communication: effective leadership during COVID-19 - Anthill online - May 15th, 2020
- The Fight for the 2020 Vote and the March to the Ballot Box - pridepublishinggroup.com - May 15th, 2020
- 'All you need is love.' Area resident taking the message worldwide - Castine Patriot - May 15th, 2020
- As reopening begins it's time to start talking about the emotional effect COVID-19 has had on us - GOOD Magazine - May 15th, 2020
- The Week in impact investing: Systemic - ImpactAlpha - May 15th, 2020
- Embracing the New Normal with Rick Hanson, Ph.D. - Free Speech TV - May 14th, 2020
- Small business loans, transfer station hours, construction and other Barnstable Town Notes - Barnstable Patriot - May 14th, 2020
- United Way Organizes Countywide Food Drive in Putnam on Saturday - Patch.com - May 14th, 2020
- SRK urges fans to support healthcare officials fighting against COVID-19 through his Meer Foundation - Newsd - May 14th, 2020
- Behind the Whistle: One Voice, The Purity of Sport - US Lacrosse Magazine - May 14th, 2020
- Too Hot to Handle: Contestants Who Showed the Most Personal Growth, Ranked - Screen Rant - May 14th, 2020
- Emily Witt He's Humbert, I'm Dolores LRB 21 May 2020 - London Review of Books - May 14th, 2020
- Arbonne Community Donates $393000 In Funding To Youth Organizations - Stockhouse - May 14th, 2020
- How the pandemic impacts the mental health of local front-line workers - Pacific Northwest Inlander - May 14th, 2020
- As reopening begins in uncertain coronavirus times, you need emotional protective equipment, too - The Conversation US - May 14th, 2020
- Can Words Help Heal a Fractured Nation?: A Visit to the Jaipur Literature Festival - lareviewofbooks - May 14th, 2020
- Contact tracing apps: What's the least worst option? - Sifted - May 14th, 2020
- Filling the Maternal-Care Gap in Prison - The American Prospect - May 14th, 2020
- Positive School Culture: Why it Must be Prioritized in Order to Improve the Social, Learning, and Teaching Environment of Boothbay Region High School... - May 14th, 2020
- Breaking down the songs of Eurovision 2020 - Eurovision.tv - May 14th, 2020
- Vanessa Branson on family, her new memoir and why her brother Richard is no 'wizened tycoon' - Evening Standard - May 14th, 2020
- Junior League of Boca Raton Presents Virtual Talk by Barb Schmidt on "Facing the New Normal: Tools to Rise Above Anxiety" - The Boca Raton... - May 8th, 2020
- TransUnion Accelerates the Expansion of its Global Fraud Business and Hires Shai Cohen to Lead it - Yahoo Finance - May 8th, 2020
- COVID-19 and Black America: Things A Vaccine Will Not Cure - charlestonchronicle.net - May 8th, 2020
- Bois Locker Room: It's high time to bury 'boys will be boys' excuse - WION - May 8th, 2020
- Intimate portraits piece together the puzzle of Natalie Wood, the person and mother - theday.com - May 8th, 2020
- Elets Webinar| Effective Governance: A Changing Paradigm in times of Corona - Elets - May 8th, 2020
- Get Her a Gift That Gets It: The Cocoiv Collection Captures the Wit, Warmth and Magic of Black Moms - The Root - May 8th, 2020
- Herman Mashaba: Left in the hands of a confused Cabinet - News24 - May 8th, 2020
- Nobody Ever Asks Poor People About Their Capacity': Bob Woodson Offers A Hand Up Through His Center - The Seattle Medium - Seattle Medium - May 8th, 2020
- 57% of Canadians Say Household Income Negatively Impacted by COVID-19 - Yahoo Finance - April 9th, 2020
- Religion news April 4 - The Republic - April 9th, 2020
- The 'The Wizard of Oz' is Fit for a Pandemic 81 Years Later - Black Girl Nerds - April 9th, 2020
- St. Olaf celebrates 50 years of ordaining Lutheran women - Manitou Messenger - April 9th, 2020
- Dress for Success Announces Common Threads Event to Go Virtual - Business West - April 9th, 2020
- National policy on skill acquisition for youths Part 3 - Guardian - April 9th, 2020
- OUR LOCAL NONPROFITS NEED YOUR HELP | Business - Yes! Weekly - April 9th, 2020
- The 19th Century Roots of Modern Medical Denialism - Undark Magazine - April 9th, 2020
- What does COVID-19 mean for the social fabric of our nations? - BFPG - April 9th, 2020
- How Cisco's Nonprofit Partners Are Pivoting and Innovating to Address Unexpected Needs - CSRwire.com - April 9th, 2020
- Covid-19 and the Conspiracy Theorists | Asharq AL-awsat - Asharq Al-awsat English - April 9th, 2020
- Rise in domestic abuse cases as families forced to stay home - The New Paper - April 9th, 2020
- War against virus: The new nightingales of India, lighting the lamp of hope (IANS Special) - Outlook India - April 9th, 2020
- Nearly 60% of Americans Say Household Income Negatively Impacted by COVID-19 - Yahoo Finance - March 31st, 2020
- The empowered women behind JMU's feminist blogs | Culture - The Breeze - March 31st, 2020
- My Gymnastics Coach Used to Fat-Shame Girls, and It Shaped the Way I View My Body - POPSUGAR - March 31st, 2020
- Undemocratic Elections Have Citizens Reinventing Self-Governance Worldwide - Truthout - March 31st, 2020
- Shaping Culture: Nawal Sari on the intersection of modest fashion and sneakers - Fashion Journal - March 31st, 2020
- Winners of Fifth Annual Zeiss Photography Awards Announced - Arts and Collections International - March 31st, 2020
- Advisors step up to provide free advice to Canadians impacted by COVID-19 fallout - The Globe and Mail - March 31st, 2020
- The Boardroom Season 2 Offers A Good Look At Sports Intersection With Business And Culture During Hiatus - Forbes - March 31st, 2020
- Alternative Spring BAE travelers bring lessons of Belize home to changed US - NIU Today - March 31st, 2020
- How to work in new ways | Feature - Law Gazette - March 31st, 2020
- The PULSE Project brings Women's Empowerment Summit to UCM campus - The Daily Star-Journal - March 10th, 2020
- Lipstick Lex shares the love in her art - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - March 10th, 2020
- Celebrating Women's History Month with 6 faces leading the charge in Oakland County: Debi Fragomeni - The Oakland Press - March 10th, 2020
- We are living in an age of lethal empowerment - The Globe and Mail - March 10th, 2020
- Gustavus Women in Leadership Celebrates 10th Anniversary - The student-led organization hosted its 10th annual conference on Friday, March 6.Posted on... - March 10th, 2020
- Halsey's miscarriage story expands the definition of womanhood - Queen's Journal - March 10th, 2020
- Lady Gaga is publishing an anthology of inspirational stories by youth - CBC.ca - March 10th, 2020
- Album Review: Various Artists Birds of Prey: The Album - mxdwn.com - March 10th, 2020
- Feminism now 'personal branding rather than revolutionary rhetoric' - RNZ - March 10th, 2020
- Author Roxane Gay conference speaker - Compton Herald - March 10th, 2020
- SCAD Exhibit by Derrick Adams Born From Archives of Patrick Kelly - WWD - March 10th, 2020
- How "My Dark Vanessa" Became One Of The Biggest Books Of The Year - BuzzFeed News - March 10th, 2020
- Why the world conference on women matters - Policy Options - March 10th, 2020
- Harry and Meghan share highlights of meeting with young leaders from Queen's Commonwealth Trust - Evening Standard - March 10th, 2020
- Carnegie Centers Permanent And Natural Is A Diverse And Spirited Exploration Of Hair - 89.3 WFPL News Louisville - March 10th, 2020
- Articles Best Companies 2020: The Top 25 Housing Organisations - 24housing - March 10th, 2020
- Rapsody Brings a Message of Self-Love and Empowerment to the Sinclair | Arts - Harvard Crimson - February 25th, 2020
- HerCampus UWG Speaks on Women Empowerment - West Georgian - February 25th, 2020