The West Australian Opposition Leader Zak Kirkup has already raised the white flag to concede he does not expect to win this month's state election.
At his campaign launch, Mr Kirkup warned the Liberal party was bracing for what it expected "could be a Labor landslide".
It prompted a question could the Liberals take such a hit at this month's poll that its role as State Opposition could be under threat?
Notably, political analysts say that scenario would be a "catastrophic" outcome for the Liberals and is "extremely unlikely".
But there has been a lot of rhetoric and speculation around the predicted "landslide", so it is worth exploring the issue.
The State Opposition is formed in the Lower House of the WA Parliament and is comprised of the largest party that is not in government.
ABC News: Evelyn Manfield
Currently, that is the Liberal Party, which holds 13 seats.
If a swing predicted by a recent Newspoll was replicated on polling day across the state, the Liberals could be reduced to just two seats in the Lower House, with the WA Nationals holding on to four.
Eliza chases down politicians every day, Kate talks to real people about what's important to them. Together they're breaking down the highs and lows of the WA Election 2021.
In that scenario, the Nationals would officially take over the State Opposition reins.
Notre Dame University's politics and international relations associate professor Martin Drum said that was "highly unlikely" to happen on March 13.
"But if the result was catastrophic and [the Liberals] lost an enormous number of seats and the Nationals were able to hang on to more seats because they are safer, the Nationals could technically finish with more seats than the Liberals," Associate Professor Drum said.
"It's a highly unlikely scenario, but it's a possible one."
WA Nationals leader Mia Davies said if her team was required to step up to the plate, she was confident her party had "the right people to do that".
In the event of this "highly unlikely" scenario, there would be consequences.
The politics, the policies and the people. We've collected all our coverage on the election campaign here.
Under WA's Public Sector Management Act, if the Liberals were to lose Opposition status and did not manage to hold onto at least five Lower House seats, it would not qualify for important Parliamentary resources.
"They would (lose) something in the vicinity of up to a dozen people that could work for them as the main leader of the Opposition," Associate Professor Drum said.
"Which would be a real blow to the Liberal leader in trying to hold the government to account."
Labor, The Liberals, The Greens and The Nationals have all made big-ticket pledges to win your votes. We're tracking and collating the big ones for you here.
Associate Professor Drum said Parliamentary rules would effectively need to be rewritten in this scenario to give the Liberals resources to "support their work".
"That would be the healthy thing for democracy," he added.
Another political analyst described that reality as the Liberals effectively having to go "cap in hand" to the Premier's office.
Associate Professor Drum said a more realistic scenario would see the Liberals losing about five seats in the Lower House.
"It could be a little worse than that having 13 and they could lose as many as six or seven. It's difficult to predict exactly," he said.
But he said the fact a scenario like this was even being contemplated showed the daunting situation the Liberals faced in less than two weeks' time.
Read the ABC's election expert Antony Green's analysis of the WA election.
Mr Kirkup would not be drawn on whether his party's Opposition status was at risk.
"We have to see what happens after the 13th of March I'm sure we can all wait 11 days to see what that looks like," he said on Tuesday.
"We're saying to the people of Western Australia, very honestly and very forthrightly, that the future of our democracy is at risk."
Mr Kirkup said Labor's decision to campaign in the blue ribbon seat of Nedlands earlier this week showed just how much control the government wanted to seize, which he said would lead to a lack of "checks and balances" when passing legislation.
Originally posted here:
- Two groups one conservative, the other liberal walked into a Zoom class - Press Herald - May 16th, 2021
- Liz Cheneys Liberal Critics Are Missing the Point - New York Magazine - May 16th, 2021
- Curley: Liberals must rewire their brains away from knee-jerk Trump hate - Boston Herald - May 16th, 2021
- How The Politics Of White Liberals And White Conservatives Are Shaped By Whiteness - FiveThirtyEight - May 16th, 2021
- Liberal. Activist. Girl boss. The complicated nuances of popular labels that often go unpacked The Bowdoin Orient - The Bowdoin Orient - May 16th, 2021
- Evolving past performative politics on a liberal campus - Dailyuw - May 16th, 2021
- Leavening Liberalism | RR Reno - First Things - May 16th, 2021
- Ritesh Jha aka Liberal Doge: The man behind the livestream spewing hate against Pakistani women - Newslaundry - May 16th, 2021
- The rise of Political Sufism poses a threat to liberal politics in both India and Pakistan - Scroll.in - May 16th, 2021
- Ross: Another outbreak of liberal, conservative agreement on the vaccine - MyNorthwest.com - May 16th, 2021
- Tasmanian Liberals have won majority government, ABC's Antony Green says - ABC News - May 16th, 2021
- Letter: Trump should be looking good to even liberal professors - Daily Record-News - May 16th, 2021
- Greg Gutfeld: Progress, stability, and success is just one liberal away from disaster - Fox News - May 16th, 2021
- Pike Liberal Arts and Autauga Academy capture AISA baseball titles, Macon East softball reaches final - Montgomery Advertiser - May 16th, 2021
- Tasmanian Greens and independents want external probe into allegations against Liberal candidate for Braddon, Adam Brooks - ABC News - May 16th, 2021
- What I don't see: How liberal silence for Jewish lives shows progressive limits - The Times of Israel - May 16th, 2021
- Quebec Ink: With Bill C-10, Quebec sets the Liberal agenda on Big Tech - The Logic - May 16th, 2021
- Liberals believe early election more likely after well-received federal budget - Sydney Morning Herald - May 16th, 2021
- Liberal bill on organ donation would create system of presumed consent - CBC.ca - May 16th, 2021
- The Liberal Party suspends Glasgow candidate Derek Jackson 'with immediate effect' after Nazi-style salute and star of David wearing at Glasgow count... - May 9th, 2021
- Liberal | Definition of Liberal at Dictionary.com - May 9th, 2021
- Interesting New Pew Study; White Liberals More Likely To Have Mental Problems - wbckfm.com - May 9th, 2021
- Despite recent wins, hypocrisy will rob liberals of a big victory over Modi - Firstpost - May 9th, 2021
- Joe Oliver: Will Liberal failures and lapses never end? - Financial Post - May 9th, 2021
- Megyn Kelly Irked By Liberal Action Figures: UWS Week In Review - Patch.com - May 9th, 2021
- Letter to the editor: Hypocrisy on full display by liberal Democrats - Wooster Daily Record - May 9th, 2021
- Should Canadians get vaccinated abroad? Liberals, Tories skirt the issue but health experts encourage it - CBC.ca - May 9th, 2021
- Liberal candidate Simon Behrakis forced to apologise over failing to 'show respect' - ABC News - May 9th, 2021
- Erin O'Toole: The Liberals' internet regulation bill opens the door to a massive abuse of power - National Post - May 9th, 2021
- Liberal Party: behaviour of candidate treated as hate incident - Glasgow Times - May 9th, 2021
- Families call LIberal gun control bill insult to all victims of gun violence - CP24 Toronto's Breaking News - May 9th, 2021
- Police treating Liberal Party candidate's interaction with Humza Yousaf as hate incident - The National - May 9th, 2021
- Liberal heavyweight asked to review Opposition Leaders office - The Age - May 9th, 2021
- Meghan McCain Slams Mask-Wearing Liberals On 'The View,' Plans to Have "Hot Vaxx Spring" - Decider - May 9th, 2021
- Peter Gutwein describes allegations against Liberal candidate Adam Brooks as 'differing points of view' - ABC News - May 9th, 2021
- Patently fair - The Indian Express - May 9th, 2021
- Scottish election 2021: Big re-election wins for Liberal Democrat MSPs shows just how popular they are Willie Rennie MSP - The Scotsman - May 9th, 2021
- Trudeau says Liberal budget is not a launch pad for a federal election - Yahoo Canada Finance - April 21st, 2021
- Some provinces not ready to embrace Liberal pledge to build a national child care system - CBC.ca - April 21st, 2021
- Rohail Hyatt issues one last clarification about what he means by 'liberal' - The Express Tribune - April 21st, 2021
- The State Of Liberal Arts Education In India - Forbes India - April 21st, 2021
- Liberals promise $30B over 5 years to create national child-care system - CBC.ca - April 21st, 2021
- Conservative MP says budget needs job creation, while former Liberal candidate pleased with document - battlefordsNOW - April 21st, 2021
- Freeland delivered an election budget, Liberal and Conservative MPs agree - CBC.ca - April 21st, 2021
- Former Liberal leader Andrew Peacock remembered as 'great Australian' with lasting legacy - ABC News - April 21st, 2021
- "This Is Just What Liberals Like To Do, Spend Money," Says Portage-Lisgar MP Of Federal Budget - PembinaValleyOnline.com - April 21st, 2021
- Hypocrisy of Liberals: They Outrage Over Election Campaigning, But Egged On Farm Protests - News18 - April 21st, 2021
- Libertarian vs. Liberal: Key Differences and Similarities - April 19th, 2021
- The Liberal Party is faking social media, so what will Facebook do? - Crikey - April 19th, 2021
- Conservative Vs. Liberal - 8 Key Differences - April 19th, 2021
- 5 things to watch for when the Liberals unveil the federal budget - CBC.ca - April 19th, 2021
- Its Not Just Young White Liberals Who Are Leaving Religion - FiveThirtyEight - April 19th, 2021
- Why Liberal arts is the degree young is India talking about - India Today - April 19th, 2021
- Remembering Andrew Peacock, a Liberal leader of intelligence, wit and charm - The Conversation AU - April 19th, 2021
- Liberal Party seeks to prevent The New Liberals from registering - Independent Australia - April 19th, 2021
- Why the WA Liberal Leader has hired a former disgraced government advisor - 6PR - April 19th, 2021
- Four Cartier watches? Bah! Libs hand out the equivalent of 90 a year to party hacks - Crikey - April 19th, 2021
- Dem Leaders Quick to Kill Liberal Dream of Packing the Court - Yahoo News - April 19th, 2021
- Liberals' bill on Indigenous rights getting pushback from Conservatives, First Nations critics - CBC.ca - April 19th, 2021
- Is the Supreme Court biased in favor of conservative Christianity? - Deseret News - April 19th, 2021
- Bringing in gender quotas in the Liberal party is not just right it's smart politics too - The Guardian - March 31st, 2021
- Conservative opinion columnist Rob Port to begin new livestream show with liberals - Grand Forks Herald - March 31st, 2021
- Germany's liberal FDP cool on three-way tie-up with Greens and SPD - Reuters - March 31st, 2021
- I would kill to be sexually harassed at the moment: Liberal Teena McQueen stuns colleagues in closed door meeting - Sydney Morning Herald - March 31st, 2021
- In Israel, Liberals Lost. The American Left Should Heed Their Lessons. - Foreign Policy - March 31st, 2021
- Working with the far-right? What a watershed Liberal Party vote means for Swedish politics - The Local Sweden - March 31st, 2021
- No space for liberal education - The Indian Express - March 31st, 2021
- Paynes silence speaks volumes about the Liberal Party - Sydney Morning Herald - March 31st, 2021
- Liberals amend Biodiversity Act in the face of industry, landowner criticism - CBC.ca - March 31st, 2021
- Liberal Democrats and Greens make election pact in a bid to defeat Conservatives in Guildford - Surrey Live - March 31st, 2021
- Roberts, Kavanaugh join with liberal justices to rule for woman shot by police while fleeing - ABA Journal - March 31st, 2021
- From Liberalism To Secularism, the Battle for Bengal Has Just Begun - The Wire - March 31st, 2021
- Ive really struggled: Federal Liberal MP reveals personal grief as motivation for changing course on quotas - Sydney Morning Herald - March 31st, 2021
- What is a liberal? What is a conservative? | Fox News - March 21st, 2021
- Whos who in the Liberals left, right and centre factions? - Sydney Morning Herald - March 21st, 2021
- Liberals want to blame rightwing 'misinformation' for our problems. Get real - The Guardian - March 21st, 2021
- New College ranked among the best value liberal arts colleges in the nation - Florida Politics - March 21st, 2021
- A Dutch election boosts both pro-EU liberals and the far right - The Economist - March 21st, 2021
- Boris Johnson was portrayed as a liberal, but his draconian government is wrecking Britain - The Independent - March 21st, 2021
- What to expect from the Liberals: an election, ASAP - Maclean's - March 21st, 2021