As we read and watch the national news, attacks on some of our basic constitutional rights from both the legislative and executive branches of government in Washington, D.C. seem to be introduced with greater frequency and have become more audacious as time goes on.
In response to these ever increasing assaults, Legislative Resolution 107 was introduced in the Legislature this year by Sen. Mike Groene of North Platte.
This resolution was co-sponsored by 30 additional state senators, including myself.
In summary, LR 107 makes the following resolutions:
u It reaffirms our oath to maintain and defend the Constitution of the United States and the Nebraska Constitution.
u It recognizes that recent legislative and executive actions have the consequence of limiting states rights and sovereignty as well as the rights and liberties of the people.
u It protests plans to take action to violate our Second Amendment rights as well as those rights given by the Constitution of Nebraska to keep and bear arms for security or defense of self, family, home and others, . . .
u It protests federal government actions that would violate our First Amendment rights concerning the free exercise of religion as well as comparable rights provided by the Nebraska Constitution with regard to sexuality and the sanctity of life.
u It expresses distress as the prospect of proposed federal legislation that would dictate uniform election rules given the constitutional intent that the election process be left primarily to state legislatures.
u It protests the stated goal of the executive branch to put thirty percent of the land and water in the United States under permanent protection by the year 2030 and expresses concern about our rights under the Fifth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution that states, No person shall . . . be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; . . .
u It protests potential federal mandates that restrains a persons right to peaceably assemble or restrict their freedom to travel or conduct commerce by mandating the vaccinations or vaccine passports.
Although yet to be advanced out of Legislatures Executive Board, LR 107 has already faced a concerted attack by some who would like to kill it.
Be assured, as a co-signer of LR 107, I will continue to support efforts to advance this resolution through the legislative process to reaffirm our constitutional rights and protest federal overreach.
I would welcome any comments, questions or ideas you may have on this or any other issue.
- Devin Nunes's Libel Lawyering, Employee Witnesses, and the Privilege Against Self-Incrimination - Reason - June 20th, 2021
- American Samoans are the latest victims of these ignorant Supreme Court rulings - MSNBC - June 20th, 2021
- Critical race theory has proved divisive. What is it? - theday.com - June 20th, 2021
- Murder Defendant Martin Takes the Stand on His Defense - wkdzradio.com - June 20th, 2021
- Gov. Abbott Vowed to Build a Wall With Mexico. Texas Borderland Owners Say Not in My Backyard - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth - June 20th, 2021
- Prosecution rests in 2nd trial of officers accused of assaulting Black colleague by again focusing on texts - KSDK.com - June 20th, 2021
- NCLA Lawsuit in Texas Seeks to End SEC's Lifetime Gag Orders that Violate the First Amendment - StreetInsider.com - June 20th, 2021
- In His Wild Bid to Stop Leaks to the Press, Trump Even Spied on His Own Lawyer - Truthout - June 20th, 2021
- Paul Robeson Was One of the Greatest Figures of the 20th Century - Jacobin magazine - June 20th, 2021
- Lorraine Reich: It's more than corporate money in elections - The Union of Grass Valley - June 4th, 2021
- Pharma Bro Martin Shkreli Gets a Slap on the Wrist for Using Contraband Phone to Discuss Pharma Business Behind Bars - Law & Crime - June 4th, 2021
- The FBI Took Their Safe Deposit Box and Everything Inside It. Two Months Later, They're Still Waiting for It To Be Returned. - Reason - June 4th, 2021
- Imprisoned Felon Martin Shkreli Busted For Using Contraband Phone To Discuss Pharma Business With Associates Following Daraprim Scandal - Radar Online - June 4th, 2021
- Citing privacy concerns, Huntsville wont explain why convicted officer is still employed - AL.com - June 4th, 2021
- What the House should quickly do if the January 6 commission fails in the Senate - WTVA - May 27th, 2021
- Trial starts for two men charged in the murder of 8-year-old King William child - 8News - May 27th, 2021
- How to Remember the Difference Between Invoke and Evoke - Lifehacker - May 27th, 2021
- Notable investigations, trials and dates ahead 1 year after George Floyds death - NewsNation Now - May 27th, 2021
- AG's Move to Criminal Probe Is a Red Alert for the Trump Org - The Daily Beast - May 27th, 2021
- Drivers Beware: The Deadly Perils of Blank Check Traffic Stops - John Whitehead's Commentary Drivers Beware: The Deadly Perils of Blank Check Traffic... - May 27th, 2021
- Trump Judge Casts Deciding Vote to Excuse Clear Violation by Police of Black Man's Fifth Amendment Rights: Confirmed Judges, Confirmed Fears - People... - May 11th, 2021
- If the Devil of the WTO IP Waiver Is in the Details, What Are the Details? - JD Supra - May 11th, 2021
- Owens v. Brown: How The Navy's Women Won the Right to Serve at Sea - The Maritime Executive - May 11th, 2021
- Why Is the Justice Department Trying To Punish Derek Chauvin Twice? - Reason - May 11th, 2021
- Frontenacs to pick fifth overall in OHL Priority Selection - The Kingston Whig-Standard - May 11th, 2021
- Trial hits snag for convicted murderer charged in another deadly Youngstown shooting - WKBN.com - April 29th, 2021
- Convention of states blocked in Legislature | netnebraska.org - NET Nebraska - April 29th, 2021
- Derek Chauvin Trial: Updates The Spectator - The Spectator - April 29th, 2021
- Morries Hall and the right not to incriminate yourself (Fifth Amendment) - MSR News Online - April 11th, 2021
- Man who was with George Floyd during his arrest pleads the Fifth amid Chauvin trial - KARE11.com - April 11th, 2021
- Floyd's Friend Invokes 5th Amendment Before Testimony Resumes in Chauvin Trial - Voice Of Alexandria - April 11th, 2021
- Officers take the stand on training and protocol; Floyd's friend fears self-incrimination - WXOW.com - April 11th, 2021
- Today's Headlines and Commentary - Lawfare - Lawfare - April 11th, 2021
- What Is the Second Amendment? | Second Amendment Rights - Reader's Digest - April 11th, 2021
- Free Webinar: Battling Deep Fakes and Misinformation Media's Role and Responsibility - StreetInsider.com - April 11th, 2021
- Virginia Beach police bought the technology to automatically turn on body cameras when a gun is drawn, but it doesn't work - 13newsnow.com WVEC - March 31st, 2021
- Analysis | Hefazat-e Islam, the group behind anti-Modi protests in Bangladesh - The Hindu - March 31st, 2021
- Question of fear or vengeance at core of Lawton murder trial - The Lawton Constitution - March 31st, 2021
- Professor's New Casebook Is First to Look at Law of the Police - UVA Today - March 31st, 2021
- Arbitration. Enforcement of Award. Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act. Personal Jurisdiction. District court refuses to enforce $20 million award... - March 31st, 2021
- SITEONE LANDSCAPE SUPPLY, INC. : Entry into a Material Definitive Agreement, Creation of a Direct Financial Obligation or an Obligation under an... - March 31st, 2021
- City issues order to force Columbus police officers to give evidence in protest probe - The Columbus Dispatch - March 31st, 2021
- Separation of judiciary still elusive in Bangladesh - newagebd.net - March 31st, 2021
- The Fight Over Minimum Wage Has a Long History in the US. Here's What to Know About It - NBC 6 South Florida - March 31st, 2021
- USCIS: Uvarov's request for injunctive relief moot; passport returned and he has departed NMI - Marianas Variety - March 31st, 2021
- Lawyer tries to throw out confession of Killeen woman charged in Vanessa Guillen case - The Killeen Daily Herald - March 31st, 2021
- Bill would protect juveniles' Fifth Amendment rights | Serving Carson City for over 150 years - Nevada Appeal - March 21st, 2021
- SCOTUS to Decide Whether There Is a Fundamental Right to Kick People Off Your Property - Law & Crime - March 21st, 2021
- 5th Amendment - Definition, Examples, Cases, Processes - March 7th, 2021
- What is the Takings Clause of the 5th Amendment? - Pacific Legal Foundation (PLF) - March 7th, 2021
- Ghost of March 4 inauguration back to haunt us - Olean Times Herald - March 7th, 2021
- What you need to know as Chauvin trial starts Monday - TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press - March 7th, 2021
- Mensah to 'plead the 5th' if forced to testify in new hearing on deadly shooting - WISN Milwaukee - February 27th, 2021
- CPAC heavy hitters to highlight constitutional freedoms, allege 'left hates the Bill of Rights' - Home - WSFX - February 27th, 2021
- Fact Checking Xavier Becerra's Claim That He 'Never Sued Any Nuns' - The Dispatch - February 27th, 2021
- The 5 Trump Amendments to the Constitution - The Atlantic - February 25th, 2021
- A refusal to testify shouldnt be interpreted this way - Leominster Champion - February 25th, 2021
- Blythe vote-buying case referred to Georgia Attorney General - The Augusta Chronicle - February 25th, 2021
- Ex-husband of 'RHONY' events planner pleads Fifth in Peeping Tom suit - Page Six - February 25th, 2021
- Ninth Circuit Upholds Dismissal of Kids Climate SuitHeaded to the Supreme Court? - Lexology - February 25th, 2021
- Justices Won't Hear Fight Over USPTO Fees On Axed Patents - Law360 - February 25th, 2021
- Florida woman charged over threats to FBI asking about Capitol siege - Insider - February 25th, 2021
- Disputes over church property and ACCA ambiguity - SCOTUSblog - February 25th, 2021
- Newsom Looks To Shear Barber's Suit Over COVID-19 Orders - Law360 - February 25th, 2021
- Supreme Court asked to declare the all-male military draft unconstitutional | TheHill - The Hill - February 25th, 2021
- ECC takes on 'Black and Blue: Policing Communities of Color' - WBFO - February 25th, 2021
- Letter: CDC vs. landlords. If director has that much power over private citizens, there's a problem. - The Augusta Chronicle - February 25th, 2021
- Trump is acquitted again, Sen. Ron Johnson sends the wrong message by siding with him - UW Badger Herald - February 25th, 2021
- Harvey Weinstein has been behind bars for a year: What's changed? - USA TODAY - February 25th, 2021
- Fifth Amendment to PREP Act Declaration Expands the Ranks of Health Care Providers Authorized to Administer COVID-19 Vaccines - Lexology - February 8th, 2021
- Dems: The Fifth Amendment against self-incrimination doesn't apply to Trump - ChicagoNow - February 8th, 2021
- Americana Corner: The Bill of Rights: The Fifth Amendment - Bryan County News - February 8th, 2021
- Ex-Con in Fraud Case Takes the Fifth - Arkansas Business Online - February 8th, 2021
- HHS Expands Categories of Persons Covered Under the PREP Act Who Can Administer COVID-19 Vaccine - JD Supra - February 8th, 2021
- Book review: 'The Crooked Path to Abolition' - Bowling Green Daily News - February 8th, 2021
- Republicans seek to play offense in vote-a-rama | TheHill - The Hill - February 8th, 2021
- Letter: Claims of constitutional rights are often wrong - The Durango Herald - February 2nd, 2021
- EU Commission publishes fifth amendment to its Temporary Framework for state aid in relation to the COVID-19 crisis - Lexology - February 2nd, 2021
- Can a Comic Book Contain the Drama and Heat of Activism? - The New York Times - February 2nd, 2021
- Chief Nurse at Wolters Kluwer and Critical Care Nurse Practitioner Discusses HHS Public Readiness and Emergency Preparedness (PREP) Act - Business... - February 2nd, 2021