There are already enough concerns in life out there to keep people with anxiety up at night. The coronavirus is a perfect example its spreading across the globe and scaring the bejesus out of everyone.
As if the coronavirus wasnt bad enough on its own, criminals are now using public fears of catching the virus to rip people off. Tap or click here to find out how to avoid being tricked by coronavirus scams.
Think things cant get any worse? Well, youre wrong. This new tech could really be a game-changer for scammers.
Weve discussed deepfake videos before. Facial mapping, artificial intelligence and deep machine learning are used to create ultra-realistic fake videos of people doing and saying things they havent actually said or done.
These deepfakes can be used to blackmail people and creepers have been caught creating deepfake videos and posting them on popular porn sites to extort victims into paying in exchange for removing them. Tap or click here for details on this shady extortion scam.
Now, a new twist on deepfake technology is emerging and it could lead to all kinds of problems.
You may also like: Find out whos calling you from an unknown or blocked number
Were talking about AI-enabled voice cloning technology, and it could become the next big thing in security scams.
Pindrop, a company that focuses on voice fraud, is warning that voice cloning technology is becoming a huge threat. Criminals are cloning peoples voices and using them to commit scams.
During a recent presentation, Pindrops CEO said, Were starting to see deepfake audios emerge as a way to target particular speakers, especially if youre the CEO of a company and you have a lot of YouTube content out there. What these fraudsters are starting to do is use that to start synthesizing your audio.
Deepfake audio is being used in conjunction with familiar Business Email Compromise (BEC) attacks.
The FBI describes BECs as a sophisticated scam that targets businesses working with foreign suppliers and/or businesses that regularly perform wire transfer payments.
Basically, a BEC scammer attempts to trick employees into sending money transfers or handing out sensitive information by impersonating executive email accounts. These attacks are initiated either by social engineering tricks, email spoofing or malware, targeting employees from companies across the U.S.
You may also like: 7 signs your device is infected with a virus or keylogger
You can probably see where this is heading.
Yep, with the help of voice cloning, BEC attacks become much more convincing. In theory, scammers can use a companys CEOs voice to convince employees to send money. Of course, the CEO didnt really order the transfer, but unsuspecting employees wont know that.
The only good news is the technology is in the early stages and rarely seen in scams. But how long will that last? Cybercriminals always use the most sophisticated tools at their disposal, and once voice cloning becomes more mainstream you can bet theyll use it.
Voicemails and phone calls might need to become a thing of the past if these scams become rampant. Face-to-face could end up being the only secure way to conduct business
- The Five Biggest Issues for Technology Companies in 2021 - The Wall Street Journal - January 17th, 2021
- Incoming White House science and technology leader on AI, diversity, and society - VentureBeat - January 17th, 2021
- Cleveland and Ohio suddenly contending in the race for technology talent: Chris Berry - cleveland.com - January 17th, 2021
- In brief: Science, Technology and Innovation Policy 2020 - BusinessLine - January 17th, 2021
- CES 2021 ELECLEAN Disinfectant Recognized by WHO Regional Office as an Innovative Technology in the Fight against COVID-19 - PRNewswire - January 17th, 2021
- How Digital Workplace Technology Will Continue to Expand After COVID-19 - CMSWire - January 17th, 2021
- Misuse of technology - The Express Tribune - January 17th, 2021
- Technology That Delivered - The Bulwark - January 17th, 2021
- Caohejing Hi-Tech Park Releases Science and Technology Innovation Index Map for 2020 - PRNewswire - January 17th, 2021
- Vaccine registration technology is failing. Heres how the Biden administration could fix it - PBS NewsHour - January 17th, 2021
- How to Level Up your Law Firm Technology and Marketing in 2021 - The National Law Review - January 17th, 2021
- What Can The Trends At Howteh Technology (GTSM:3114) Tell Us About Their Returns? - Simply Wall St - January 17th, 2021
- KBR Furthers Sustainability Commitment with Innovative Plastics Recycling Process in Alliance with Mura Technology - waste360 - January 17th, 2021
- Bloodless coups of technology - The Hindu - January 17th, 2021
- Action Items on Technology and Communication Policies in front of the Senate Commerce Committee - JD Supra - January 17th, 2021
- Is Unimicron Technology (TPE:3037) Using Too Much Debt? - Simply Wall St - January 17th, 2021
- Accelerating the Adoption of Advanced Manufacturing Technologies to Strengthen Our Public Health Infrastructure - FDA.gov - January 17th, 2021
- Health at the Forefront of Technology Announced at CES 2021 - PRNewswire - January 17th, 2021
- 4 fitness technology trends that will be popular in 2021 - YourStory - January 17th, 2021
- Illinois Democrat calls for new committee focused exclusively on information technology | TheHill - The Hill - January 17th, 2021
- Dolezal appointed chair of Senate Science and Technology Committee - Forsyth County News Online - January 17th, 2021
- Casing Macron Technology Co., Ltd. (GTSM:3325) Stock Has Shown Weakness Lately But Financials Look Strong: Should Prospective Shareholders Make The... - January 17th, 2021
- An eye on the enemy - BusinessLine - January 17th, 2021
- How carbon capture technology can add to the emissions problem - CBC.ca - January 17th, 2021
- Students harness the power of technology to address larger issues - Waterbury Republican American - January 3rd, 2021
- Banning Government Use of Face Recognition Technology: 2020 Year in Review - EFF - January 3rd, 2021
- As ice fishing gets easier because of technology, can fish withstand the onslaught? - Duluth News Tribune - January 3rd, 2021
- Technology may have helped us survive Covid-19, but at what cost? - CTech - January 3rd, 2021
- The Effects of Technology on Teens - Cat's Eye View - January 3rd, 2021
- 'Peak hype': why the driverless car revolution has stalled - The Guardian - January 3rd, 2021
- Five Microsoft technologies to watch in 2021 - ZDNet - January 3rd, 2021
- Birmingham CEO named in "100 Most Powerful Women In Technology 2020" - Bham Now - January 3rd, 2021
- Muslims and technology - DAWN.com - January 3rd, 2021
- The biggest technology failures of 2020 - MIT Technology Review - January 3rd, 2021
- Technology trends to thrive in the new normal - BusinessLine - January 3rd, 2021
- Harvard professor believes bizarre asteroid from 2017 was alien technology - SlashGear - January 3rd, 2021
- Irving-based Exela Technologies hires firm to help it explore strategic alternatives - The Dallas Morning News - January 3rd, 2021
- Century Technology Group leans on tech acquisitions to drive growth - MiBiz: West Michigan Business News - January 3rd, 2021
- Global Anti-Counterfeit Packaging Technologies Market (2020 to 2028) - Featuring 3M, Avery Dennison and Digimarc Among Others - ResearchAndMarkets.com... - January 3rd, 2021
- 5G Technologies and the Driverless Car - GlobeNewswire - January 3rd, 2021
- Inside the radical community near Kent without modern technology and where nobody is paid - Kent Live - January 3rd, 2021
- Technology In 2020: Big Tech Goes To Washington; Online Shopping Gets A Pandemic Boost - Here And Now - December 29th, 2020
- Quantum computers' power will remake competition in industries from technology to finance - MarketWatch - December 29th, 2020
- Alarm Bells Ringing On Education Technology - The Chattanoogan - December 29th, 2020
- Technology and Sustainability to Drive Recovery in the UK Facility Management Market - GlobeNewswire - December 29th, 2020
- Boomer's Blueprint: The technology physical - Accounting Today - December 29th, 2020
- How technology will help to shape the future of work in 2021 and beyond - The Star Online - December 29th, 2020
- Technology was a bright spot: Year in Review 2020 - Idaho Business Review - December 29th, 2020
- Tech platforms vowed to address racial equity: how have they fared? - The Guardian - December 29th, 2020
- Global Tissue Ablation Technologies Industry - GlobeNewswire - December 29th, 2020
- This technology could start saving lives tomorrow, but the Nationals won't let it happen - Sydney Morning Herald - December 29th, 2020
- Tackling unforeseen situations along with technological advancements - The Tribune India - December 29th, 2020
- Rebekah Jones named Forbes Technology Person of The Year - Florida Politics - December 29th, 2020
- Vaccines are the latest battleground for doctors on social media - MIT Technology Review - December 29th, 2020
- Top 10 Technology Analysts of 2020 - eWeek - December 29th, 2020
- 5 Ways To Build Trust In Cloud Technology We Saw In 2020 - Forbes - December 29th, 2020
- BRINK Explores the Technology Sector in 2020 BRINK News and Insights on Global Risk - BRINK - December 29th, 2020
- 10 Information Technology Stocks Showing Unusual Options Activity In Today's Session - Benzinga - December 29th, 2020
- Differentiated Lidar Technology Puts Luminar in the Spotlight - InvestorPlace - December 29th, 2020
- The global Green Technology and Sustainability market size to grow from USD 11.2 billion in 2020 to USD 36.6 billion by 2025, at a Compound Annual... - December 21st, 2020
- Technology that detects whisky's age is 'world first' - The Spirits Business - December 21st, 2020
- LocatorX Launches Lends-A-Hand Program and Women in Technology Group to Reflect Company Values and Mission - GlobeNewswire - December 21st, 2020
- Shenpu Technology (KIEYYUEL) Made a Stunning Appearance at the International Epidemic Prevention Exhibition - Business Wire - December 21st, 2020
- 2021 Supply Chain Technology Trends To Watch - Forbes - December 21st, 2020
- Understanding the Role of Technology in Today's Foodservice Equipment Marketplace - Total Food Service - December 21st, 2020
- Technology that went its own way in 2020 - Gearbrain - December 21st, 2020
- 2021 outlook: Here are the technologies, questions that'll matter - ZDNet - December 21st, 2020
- Group14 Technologies Powering Next Generation Of Batteries With $17M Series B - Crunchbase News - December 21st, 2020
- How the pandemic inspired creative uses of technology in 2020 - The Verge - December 21st, 2020
- Talking to the LTA innovator hoping to bring new technology to tennis - Tennis365 - December 21st, 2020
- Automotive Air Purifier Market Research Report by Technology, by Type, by Vehicle Class, by Distribution - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact... - December 21st, 2020
- VOTIS Subdermal Imaging Technologies And ii Ventures Announce Plans To Develop Preventative Medicine Devices To Screen For Peripheral Artery Disease... - December 21st, 2020
- 12 Emerging Technologies To Watch In 2021 - Yahoo Finance - December 21st, 2020
- These stocks are the best way to play the technology transformation mega trend, Jefferies says - CNBC - December 21st, 2020
- EPA awards grant to Marshall student team for technology project - Huntington Herald Dispatch - December 21st, 2020
- Wind generation sets another record in banner year for the technology - Current News - December 21st, 2020
- How the Massachusetts police reform bill would actually affect law enforcement use of facial recognition technology - Boston.com - December 21st, 2020
- Greenland Technologies Ramps to Over 800 Units in Monthly Sales of New Integrated Drive Train System for Electric Forklift Trucks - PRNewswire - December 21st, 2020
- Q BioMed Technology Partner Mannin Research Inc. Announced as Member of Canadian National COVID-19 Consortium - BioSpace - December 21st, 2020
- Technology will lead Iowa's business recovery - The Gazette - December 21st, 2020