For those virtualization admins hiding under a virtual rock regarding cloud, I have news for you. Your job isn't safe. No one can put the cloud genie back in the bottle. Cloud computing is here to stay, and virtualization admins need to shift focus to keep up with tomorrow's jobs.
This complimentary guide helps readers determine the pros, cons and key considerations of DevOps by offering up 5 important questions you should be asking in order to create a realistic DevOps assessment.
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
The move to cloud is already happening at all levels, from the smallest through to the largest businesses. Cloud and microservices mark a new iteration of change that is as disruptive as the original arrival of virtualization with VMware -- if not more so.
Virtualization has two phases: consolidation and abstraction.
In the beginning, virtualization's goal was more efficient use of underutilized hardware. Rarely do servers consume all the resources allocated to them. Virtualization admins could reclaim these lost resources and vastly reduce wasted capacity.
In phase two, virtualization developed advanced functions such as live storage motion or migration, high availability and fault tolerance. These virtualization capabilities address the issues that arise when several machines share one physical piece of hardware. Automation arrived and made server deployment simple and straightforward.
I argue that this virtualization adoption curve peaked a few years ago -- we are now moving to the next iteration, and you'll need to follow a cloud computing career path to come along.
Even once-conservative technology adopters, such as financial institutions, are jumping on board with the third wave of virtualization.
There is a thirst to cut costs, and automation allows massive cost cuts. There will be job losses. No virtualization admin should think it will never happen to them. You are fooling yourself. Fewer staff means fewer medical plans and pensions to support. It is not hard to see why the cloud appeals to the bottom line.
There will not be enough cloud computing careers to go around based on old virtualization working practices, such as in a phase one scenario.
Consider virtual machine orchestration. In early-phase virtualization environments, VMs still required some level of administration action, such as deployment from a template, to accompany automated steps. Tools such as VMware vRealize Automation or Platform9's managed vSphere stack enable an approved user to request a VM, customized to their specifications, and have it deployed within 10 minutes with no administrator interactions. Larger companies used to have several virtualization admins whose jobs purely entailed VM creation and deployment. Within a year or two, that job role disappeared.
Virtual machines are now moving to cattle status, meaning they're disposable commodities. To scale applications, organizations adopt automation tools that deploy new VMs. It's quicker to deploy another instance of a machine than to troubleshoot a broken one.
DevOps does away with manual work; manual deployment is the exact opposite of how DevOps is supposed to work. A key tenet of DevOps is that tasks performed more than once in the same way should be scripted so the IT platform does the action itself.
There is still time to retool and get on a cloud computing career path. Virtualization admins are luckier than most.
Platform as a service reduces the workload. Workloads that used to be custom-built and based on infrastructure as a service are now provided as a service for consumption by developers and companies. Examples include the larger cloud vendors offering secure and highly available database hosting that organizations consume without any effort to build and manage the underlying database infrastructure. Little to no database admin input required. No server admin required either.
The complexity hasn't gone away -- it has just changed. Management complexity moved from the VMs to orchestration and scaling. Virtualization elements such as high availability and disaster recovery (DR) lost importance, while the IT industry turned its attention to microservices that are scalable, redundant and can be spun up and down at will. Automation means little to no hands-on intervention. For example, you can spin up a cloud infrastructure from a single PowerShell script.
Classic DR locations are now costly relics of waste. Cloud affects virtualization in secondary ways. For example, businesses are used to having one primary data center and one DR setup in another data center. Given a relatively modern application set, the entire company infrastructure can restart in its entirety in the cloud in the event of a disaster. Modern DR management products, such as Zerto and Acronis, eliminate the costly secondary data center, allowing businesses to prepopulate and configure DR setups in the cloud.
This is the reality for virtualization admins, and the only future is in a cloud computing career. Over time, more applications are built cloud-first to save money from the start; the old, immovable on-site applications go the way of pagers and typewriters.
The reality is that most virtualization admin roles as we know them will vastly shrink or become outmoded over the next decade. A virtual data center requires far fewer staff, and with automation and scripting, a single administrator can manage massive numbers of servers.
There is still time to retool and get on a cloud computing career path. Virtualization admins are luckier than most. While the technology itself may change, these administrators have skills that easily translate to the popular cloud and DevOps arena.
This doesn't mean becoming a code guru or programmer, but a virtualization admin will need a deep understanding of architectures and tools such as Docker for containerization, Chef for configuration management and Kubernetes for container orchestration to become a DevOps admin. Learn multiple scripting languages and investigate hyper-converged infrastructure for cloud hosting.
The warning signs are there, fellow admins. It is just a case of doing something about it while you still can.
Help keep an organization on track as a cloud capacity manager
Break down seemingly convoluted DevOps job requirements
DevOps engineers must demonstrate strong communication skills
Set up a DevOps home lab to gain hands-on skills
- O'Reilly Survey Reveals More than 88% of Organizations Use Cloud Computing - Business Wire - May 23rd, 2020
- Gartner: How and why cloud providers need to support their customers through Covid-19 - Cloud Tech - May 23rd, 2020
- Alibaba registers solid revenues in FY20 thanks to cloud computing and core retail businesses - FinanceFeeds - May 23rd, 2020
- Global Cloud Computing in K-12 Market Projected to Reach USD XX.XX billion by 2025- Adobe Systems, Blackboard, Cisco, Ellucian, Dell EMC, Instructure,... - May 23rd, 2020
- How Securing the Tactical Edge Can Help Operators in the Field - FedTech Magazine - May 23rd, 2020
- How Coronavirus Pandemic Will Impact SaaS Cloud Computing Market Applications, Manufacturers, Trends Analysis and Forecast by 2028 - Jewish Life News - May 23rd, 2020
- New Report on Cloud Computing Market 2020 Industry Size, Growth, Global Scenario, Top Manufacturers and Forecast to 2025 - Cole of Duty - May 23rd, 2020
- The Connection Between Cloud Service Providers and Cyber Resilience - Security Intelligence - May 23rd, 2020
- Global trade impact of the Coronavirus Cloud Computing Stack Layers Market Augmented Expansion to Be Registered by 2019-2026 - News Distinct - May 23rd, 2020
- Global Healthcare Cloud Computing Market Development, Market Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast To 2020-2026 - Cole of Duty - May 23rd, 2020
- H3C Boosts Development of Heterogeneous Computing with NVIDIA - HPCwire - May 23rd, 2020
- Report Explained: How COVID-19 Has affected The Healthcare Cloud Computing Market? | Survey on Future Scope by 2029 - WaterCloud News - May 23rd, 2020
- Global Cloud Computing in Healthcare Market 2020: Demand Growth, Current Trends, Business Opportunities, Size, Share and Industry End User till 2025 -... - May 23rd, 2020
- IT spending on cloud infrastructure grows amid pandemic - Livemint - May 23rd, 2020
- Understanding The Hybrid Cloud Model - Gigabit Magazine - Technology News, Magazine and Website - May 18th, 2020
- How Apples Fervent Push Into Cloud Computing Benefits You - iDrop News - May 18th, 2020
- Cloud Computing in Automotive Market Size, Share, Application Analysis, Regional Outlook, Growth Trends, Key Players, Competitive Strategies and... - May 18th, 2020
- Global Cloud Computing Service Market Expected to reach highest CAGR by 2025: Amazon, Salesforce.com, VMware, Savvis, Rackspace - News Distinct - May 18th, 2020
- Global Healthcare Cloud Computing Market 2020 | Know the Companies List Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the Impact of COVID-19 | Top... - May 18th, 2020
- FedEx, Microsoft are teaming up to deliver packages, widening gap with Amazon - CNBC - May 18th, 2020
- Microsoft to invest $75mn in creating 1,500 jobs in AI, Cloud - Outlook India - May 18th, 2020
- Fog Computing Market to Witness A Staggering CAGR Of 65% Over 2017-2024, Healthcare Sector to Drive the Application Landscape 3w Market News Reports... - May 18th, 2020
- Cloud Computing ETFs to Gain on the New Normal Trends - Yahoo Finance - May 15th, 2020
- Benefits of cloud computing made clear by COVID - Raconteur - May 15th, 2020
- Why moving to the cloud requires a 'change of business philosophy': How to get it right - Cloud Tech - May 15th, 2020
- Illinois advances pioneering proposal for utility rate recovery of cloud computing investments - Utility Dive - May 15th, 2020
- ETF of the Week: WisdomTree Cloud Computing ETF (WCLD) - ETF Trends - May 15th, 2020
- Cloud Computing: The Recession Proof Stocks Hiding in Plain Sight - InvestorPlace - May 15th, 2020
- Cloud ETFs are all the rage as more people work from home - CNN - May 15th, 2020
- How to Secure the Intangible Cloud Native Security in the New Age - DevOps.com - May 15th, 2020
- Cloud Computing Market Growth Trends, Key Players, Analysis, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026 - News Distinct - May 15th, 2020
- Google Cloud Catches Up to AWS and Azure with VMware Offering - Virtualization Review - May 15th, 2020
- Cloud computing IaaS in Life Science Market Growth Trends, Key Players, Analysis, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026 - News Distinct - May 15th, 2020
- Cloud Computing Platform as a Service (PaaS) Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 15th, 2020
- How cloud is accelerating the growth of digital payments - TechHQ - May 15th, 2020
- Global Cloud Computing Security Software Market 2020 Emerging Growth, Application Analysis, Organization Size, Cost Analysis and Forecast to 2025 -... - May 15th, 2020
- IBM on its edge computing, telco cloud and 5G strategy - RCR Wireless News - May 15th, 2020
- How three tech giants are approaching edge computing - RCR Wireless News - May 15th, 2020
- Covid-19 Update What's driving the Healthcare Cloud Computing Market Growth? See with Prominent Players and High CAGR rate - Cole of Duty - May 15th, 2020
- Near, far, where-edge-er you areThe right edge for the right application - RCR Wireless News - May 15th, 2020
- Empowered Edge: The Next Evolution in Data Processing - Analytics Insight - May 15th, 2020
- Report: Apple on cloud computing hiring spree as it plays catch up with Amazon and others - 9to5Mac - May 12th, 2020
- Insights on the Worldwide Healthcare Cloud Computing Industry (2019 to 2025) - Impact of COVID-19 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - May 12th, 2020
- Global Cloud Computing Market Examination and Industry Growth till 2025 - Cole of Duty - May 12th, 2020
- Global Cloud Computing Platform as a Service (PaaS) Market 2020 Insights, Key Player's Competition, Trends, Sales, Revenue, Supply, Demand, Growth... - May 12th, 2020
- Healthcare Cloud Computing Market Is Likely To Witness A Healthy CAGR Growth of 11.8% By 2026 | Grand View Research, Inc - MENAFN.COM - May 12th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact and Recovery Analysis | Cloud Services Brokerage Market 2020-2024 | Increasing Adoption of Cloud Computing to Boost Growth | Technavio... - May 12th, 2020
- Information Security in the Time of Covid-19 - Moving to the Cloud as a Cost-Cutting Measure Does Not Lessen Compliance Obligations - Lexology - May 12th, 2020
- Insights on the Worldwide Cloud Gaming Industry to 2025 - Featuring Nvidia, Intel & Google Among Others - GlobeNewswire - May 12th, 2020
- The future of gaming - Giuliano Giacaglia - Medium - May 12th, 2020
- Global Cloud Computing Market Manufacturers, Technology, Segmentation and Development Trends Forecasts to 2025. - Cole of Duty - May 12th, 2020
- Deloitte and AWS to train 4,000 consultants in cloud skills - Which-50 - May 12th, 2020
- JTC provides 99.9% uptime, peace of mind for businesses on its cloud service - PotomacLocal.com - May 12th, 2020
- Apple enters the wave of cloud computing recruitment - NewsDio - May 12th, 2020
- - Oxford University and Amazon Web Services create a test-bed for cloud-based research - Design Products & Applications - May 12th, 2020
- The role of the data centre in the future of Data Management - Data Economy - May 12th, 2020
- New Innovation In Healthcare Cloud Computing Market With (COVID19) Impact Analysis, Top Companies Analysis, Market Size, Share, Growth, Trends,... - May 12th, 2020
- Cisco Reports Earnings Wednesday. Heres What to Expect. - Barron's - May 12th, 2020
- Global Cloud Computing Security Software Market 2020 By Growth Projections, Demand, Power Construction and Forecast 2025 - Cole of Duty - May 12th, 2020
- Cloud technology ETFs on brink of positive perfect storm - ETF Strategy - May 12th, 2020
- How AI is redefining cloud technology and delivering business efficiency - ITProPortal - May 12th, 2020
- How to future-proof IT for digital transformation - Gigabit Magazine - Technology News, Magazine and Website - April 11th, 2020
- Cloud computing IaaS in Life Science Market Size 2020 | Top Companies, Growth Overview, Technology, Latest Trends and Forecast 2026 - Curious Desk - April 11th, 2020
- AWS Outposts are now supported in GovCloud (US) Regions: What this means for IT pros - TechRepublic - April 11th, 2020
- The 26 Most In-Demand IT Skills And Expertise Employers Want In 2020 - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - April 11th, 2020
- IBM and the Value of Succession Planning - eWeek - April 11th, 2020
- Cloud Computing Market Emerging Trends, Business Opportunities, Segmentation, Production Values, Supply-Demand, Brand Shares and Forecast 2020-2027 -... - April 11th, 2020
- Industry 4.0 And IT/OT Convergence: Crossing The Digital Lines To Success - Forbes - April 11th, 2020
- It's All about Edge Computing and Availability - ARC Viewpoints - April 11th, 2020
- Cloud Computing Data Center It Asset Disposition Market Increasing Demand with Leading Player, Comprehensive Analysis and Forecast 2026 - Science In... - April 11th, 2020
- 'State of the Edge,' the Project to Define Edge Computing, Now Part of Linux Foundation - Data Center Knowledge - April 11th, 2020
- Cloud Computing Market Outlook 2020: Global Topmost Companies, Size, Trends And Upcoming Forecasts 2026 - Science In Me - April 9th, 2020
- Cloud Computing in Healthcare Market Report 2020: Growth Factors, Product Type, Manufacturers, Application, End Use and Regions 2025 - Science In Me - April 9th, 2020
- Cloud technology emerges as a haven during pandemics uncertainty - DigitalCommerce360 - April 9th, 2020
- AI and cloud computing used to develop COVID-19 vaccine - Drug Target Review - April 9th, 2020
- First Trust Cloud Computing ETF Should Benefit From Near-Term Surge In Demand Due To COVID-19 - Seeking Alpha - April 9th, 2020
- AWS: the worlds most comprehensive cloud platform - Gigabit Magazine - Technology News, Magazine and Website - April 9th, 2020
- ETFMG and Wedbush Collaborate on Pure-Play Global Cloud Computing ETF: IVES - Yahoo Finance - April 9th, 2020
- NIST Invites Comment on Guidance for Who Gets to Access What in the Cloud - Nextgov - April 9th, 2020
- Global Cloud Computing Chips Market expected to grow USD XX.X million by 2025 - Curious Desk - April 9th, 2020