WINCHESTER Virtual reality (VR) is making its way into the classrooms of local public schools allowing students to immerse themselves in lessons that traditionally would have been taught out of a textbook.
For instance, seventh graders at Daniel Morgan Middle School recently learned through VR about the various weapons and techniques used in combat during World War I. All it took was a pair of goggles, a smart phone and a hand controller to get students engaged in the lesson through a computer-generated three-dimensional (3D) world. Daniel Morgan recently created a technology lab to make VR learning possible for its students.
By looking through the goggles, students can feel like they are in a virtual world that shows them what tanks in WWI looked like or the kind of barbed wire that was used on the battlefield. The realistic 3D images were accompanied by audio explanations.
Hudson Fox, 12, said he learned how lethal and damaging to the human body mustard gas can be.
I like it, its pretty cool, he said about using VR in the classroom. I just like how youre able to actually see it instead of reading it in a textbook.
Chuck Crawmer, 13, said he learned through the VR lesson that trench warfare ended because of advancements in mustard gas and tanks.
He added that VR makes learning more fun.
I think its very interesting, Chuck said. Its a different medium than what we usually do instead of pencil and paper or just a Chromebook. Its surrounding us like were in the scenario.
Daniel Morgan Middle School history teacher Jamie Lupton said VR helps students remember the lesson.
We cant jump on an airplane and fly over to the Western front, Lupton said. But they can go into the trenches.
Lupton added that the City Council, the School Board and city taxpayers have been extremely supportive in making immersive learning with technology, such as VR, possible.
Ive had other folks come in and observe and they feel like this is a private-school caliber type of education thats available because of the technology, he said.
After students got their lesson in VR at Daniel Morgan, several Winchester School Board members stopped by the new technology lab and tried out the VR headsets themselves.
I think were speaking the language of the students now, said School Board member Bryan Pearce-Gonzales. This is how they learn, this is the world that they live in, so if we can tailor the curriculum to help them advance using their own language, I think its great.
See more here:
- The Best VR Headsets for 2020 | PCMag - May 14th, 2020
- Why virtual reality is still a pipe dream for the NHL - ESPN - May 14th, 2020
- "Incredible things are happening" in virtual reality, say architects - Dezeen - May 14th, 2020
- Augmented and Virtual Reality Radiology at the Center of Medical Technology - Diagnostic Imaging - May 14th, 2020
- Virtual Reality The New Normal - monroviaweekly - May 14th, 2020
- Virtual Reality Blood Flow Simulation To Improve Cardiovascular Interventions - Duke Today - May 14th, 2020
- Cemtrex Receives Virtual Reality (VR) Application Order from VF Corp - Yahoo Finance - May 14th, 2020
- Is Virtual Reality Missing Its Moment? - TechSpot - May 14th, 2020
- Benedict Evans on the virtual reality winter - Scoop.co.nz - May 14th, 2020
- US expansion for Derby digital visualisation and virtual reality company - East Midlands Business Link - May 14th, 2020
- 7 future trends in virtual reality technology - The Burn-In - May 14th, 2020
- The First-Ever Live, Virtual Reality Comedy Special Could Only Happen Now - Entrepreneur - May 14th, 2020
- Virtual Reality in Manufacturing Industry to Reach USD 14,887.0 Million by 2026; Advent of Digitalization in All Commercial Sectors Worldwide to Add... - May 14th, 2020
- tautahi Christchurch secures IEEE Conference on Virtual Reality in 2022 - Conference and Meetings World - May 14th, 2020
- Olafur Eliasson turns elements from nature into augmented reality artworks - Dezeen - May 14th, 2020
- Augmented Reality (AR) & Virtual Reality (VR) in Healthcare Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 -... - May 14th, 2020
- Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality in Aerospace Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- CMU Tech Enables Users To High Five And Touch Solid Surfaces In Virtual Reality - 90.5 WESA - May 11th, 2020
- Ready to "feel" solid walls in virtual reality? - ZDNet - May 11th, 2020
- Why virtual reality will be a must-have for our socially distanced future - Digital Trends - May 11th, 2020
- How a crisis propelled the art world into a new virtual reality - Wallpaper* - May 11th, 2020
- Facebook reportedly working on a new flagship virtual-reality headset - Business Insider - Business Insider - May 11th, 2020
- With real theaters closed, actors are turning to virtual reality - CNET - May 11th, 2020
- Cavaliers thinking outside the box, exploring virtual reality as player development tool - Lima Ohio - May 11th, 2020
- 'We hope more people will ask for help' how an NHS trust is using virtual reality to treat phobias - PublicTechnology - May 11th, 2020
- Virtual reality: Your online regional events roundup for the week ahead - Reading Eagle - May 11th, 2020
- Augmented and Virtual Reality HMD Markets, 2018-2026: Impact of the Coronavirus Pandemic - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - May 11th, 2020
- Virtual Reality Courses Offer Immersion into Remote Instruction - HottyToddy.com - May 11th, 2020
- Chris Spencer Talks About Using Comedy, Virtual-Reality in Times of Crisis - Black Enterprise - May 11th, 2020
- Virtual and augmented reality investment at 2013 levels in first quarter - VentureBeat - May 11th, 2020
- Euronews Living | Could this be the moment for virtual reality travel? - Euronews - May 11th, 2020
- Virtual Reality in Medical Education and Training Market Regional Analysis, key Drivers and Restraints, by Product, Top Players and Forecast Analysis... - May 11th, 2020
- Healthcare Augmented and Virtual Reality Market Recent Trends and Developments, by Type, by Product, Regional growth, Profit Margin, Market size,... - May 11th, 2020
- HTC Vive Cosmos review: the premium headset that could make you a VR believer - T3 Australia - May 11th, 2020
- Cleveland Cavaliers trying to be creative, thinking about virtual reality as player development tool - cleveland.com - May 11th, 2020
- How is Virtual Reality Transforming the Real Estate Industry - RealtyBizNews: Real Estate News - RealtyBizNews - May 11th, 2020
- The World's Biggest Social Virtual Reality Gathering Is Happening Right Now - Singularity Hub - May 4th, 2020
- This Should Be V.R.s Moment. Why Is It Still So Niche? - The New York Times - May 4th, 2020
- Changing reality: VR shifts the game and finds its moment - Los Angeles Times - May 4th, 2020
- The best VR headsets for 2020: Every option reviewed and ranked - PCWorld - May 4th, 2020
- Virtual reality bites: Seven virtual experiences rated against the real thing - The Daily News of Newburyport - May 4th, 2020
- Incubation lab arms artists with VR gear and asks: What if? - Los Angeles Times - May 4th, 2020
- Coronavirus and fitness: How VR games got me to exercise - Los Angeles Times - May 4th, 2020
- The COVID-19 "Virtual "Reality : Review of a lecture on vaccines, previewing IBD Talk and some exercise - The Suburban Newspaper - May 4th, 2020
- A new virtual reality club is launching online, Another Home - DJ Mag - May 4th, 2020
- Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality Digitizing the HR Processes - EnterpriseTalk - May 4th, 2020
- Sports are rooted in reality, so why does the virtual Derby work? - The Globe and Mail - May 4th, 2020
- Phoenix Elite: Rising UP and Adapting to Virtual Reality - TAPinto.net - May 4th, 2020
- Even with NASCAR returning, drivers still set for another virtual-reality race Sunday - Anniston Star - May 4th, 2020
- School of Art, Tesseract Center and Crystal Bridges Collaborate on Virtual Exhibition, 'Frankly' - University of Arkansas Newswire - May 4th, 2020
- Hauser & Wirth Presents its Latest Exhibition in Virtual Reality Pursuits - Prestige Online - May 4th, 2020
- Offset, Young Thug, And Others Are Hosting A Live Virtual Reality Stadium Concert - UPROXX - May 4th, 2020
- What the Giants' drafts think of the virtual reality of the mini-camps - The Press Stories - May 4th, 2020
- Augmented Reality (AR) & Virtual Reality (VR) in Healthcare Industry Market Size by Top Key Players, Growth Opportunities, Incremental Revenue ,... - May 4th, 2020
- These Japanese Hot Spring Resorts Offer Moments of Zen Through Virtual Reality - Prestige Online - May 4th, 2020
- 8 interesting things we found exploring NOAA's virtual reality deepsea dives - The Weather Network - May 4th, 2020
- Sony demonstrated the system to track fingers in virtual reality - The Times Hub - May 4th, 2020
- The impact of the coronavirus on the Research Report and Overview on E-Learning Virtual Reality Market, 2019-2031 - Jewish Life News - May 4th, 2020
- Global Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality (ARVR) Market Growth and Forecast Research 2020-2027 Cole Reports - Cole of Duty - May 4th, 2020
- Facebooks annual virtual reality conference goes virtual-only - TechCrunch - April 18th, 2020
- Virtual reality is finally living up to my expectations of it being the ultimate escape from reality - GamesRadar+ - April 18th, 2020
- Making a New World in Virtual Reality - Tufts Now - April 18th, 2020
- Jerusalem's Old City, virtual reality edition: A game brings quarantined people around the world into the holy neighborhood - JTA News - April 18th, 2020
- Sensorium Galaxy Building the Mecca of Electronic Dance Music in Virtual Reality with the Creators of World-famous Ushuaa Ibiza and H Ibiza Nightclubs... - April 18th, 2020
- Virtual reality: On telemedicine - The Hindu - April 18th, 2020
- 2020 Global Insights into Cloud Robotics, DigitalTwins, Teleoperation and Virtual Reality to 2025 - GlobeNewswire - April 18th, 2020
- NCCCO Foundation examines virtual reality in certification testing - American Cranes and Transport - April 18th, 2020
- How does a virtual reality tour of the Faroe Islands measure up to the real thing - Telegraph.co.uk - April 18th, 2020
- Virtual reality brings an added perspective for business continuity - Confectionery Production - April 18th, 2020
- Pixel Ripped 1995: The Virtual Reality Love Letter to Classic Gaming launches April 23 - GamingLyfe Network - April 18th, 2020
- Virtual Reality: To Be or Not to Be? - IDTechEx.com - March 26th, 2020
- The Palace of Versailles is open for virtual reality visits - The Star Online - March 26th, 2020
- The Virtual Reality (VR) Content Creation Industry to 2030 by Solution, Content Type, VR Medium, Application and Region - Yahoo Finance - March 26th, 2020
- Virtual Reality: Paradigm art gallery makes the shift to a more digital landscape - South Philly Review - March 26th, 2020
- Business - Forget your virtual reality - Superyacht News - The Superyacht Report - March 26th, 2020
- HP teases a new virtual reality headset in partnership with Valve + Microsoft - 9to5Toys - March 26th, 2020
- Worse before it gets better: Rental agents adapt to new virtual reality - The Real Deal - March 26th, 2020
- Toledo teacher makes trip to Washington a virtual reality - WTOL - March 26th, 2020
- Penn States James Franklin explains how the Lions are adapting to a virtual reality during the coronavirus p - PennLive - March 26th, 2020
- Covid-19 and virtual reality: The cultural cost of going online - Mail and Guardian - March 26th, 2020