By Elaine OuBitcoin uses a lot of electricity. So do electric cars, space travel and civilization in general, but few things burn energy so shamelessly.
To assuage critics, Elon Musk and Michael Saylor announced late last month that Bitcoin miners in North America had agreed to form the Bitcoin Mining Council, an organization that would promote energy transparency and sustainable mining practices.A noble effort, to be sure, but one that drew much criticism. Participants in a decentralized currency tend to be skeptical of efforts at cooperation, which is just a politically correct term for collusion. To them, a Bitcoin mining council sounds a lot like OPEC or, worse, the Federal Reserve.
The idea of Bitcoin mining was originally imagined as one-CPU-one-vote, where individuals around the world could run the Bitcoin software and participate in recording transactions. Mining is essentially a lottery, where computational power is proportional to the chance of winning the right to record a new block.
As with most things, however, Bitcoin mining benefits from economies of scale. Large companies can invest in custom silicon chips, or pool computational resources to amortize mining revenue. As a result, a small number of companies dominate the vast majority of Bitcoin mining. When crypto mining is performed in massive data centers with specialized hardware, a single CPU doesnt stand a chance.
Earlier this year, Marathon Digital Holdings, one of the largest Bitcoin mining companies in North America and member of the newly formed Mining Council, announced that it would be fully compliant with U.S. protocols, including anti-money laundering practices and the Office of Foreign Asset Controls standards. As a result, Marathons mining pools began excluding noncompliant transactions from their mined blocks.
In theory, economically rational Bitcoin miners outside of North America could pick up the dropped transactions and place them in the next block, collecting transaction fees along the way. However, a colluding council could choose to ignore subsequent blocks that dont adhere to their rules. The software protocol dictates that users must always follow the longest chain, so a group with majority hash power will eventually overtake any offshoots.
Theres a saying that Bitcoin is for enemies. Not only does the protocol accommodate mutually hostile participants; it thrives on mutual hostility.
Bitcoins single value proposition is its ability to resist human arbitration, made possible by the fact that participants are unable to cooperate and add changes to the software. If Russia, Iran and North Korea contribute significant hash power to the network, it is unlikely that U.S. banking regulations will ever be enforced by the Bitcoin protocol.
Last weekend, the Bitcoin network prepared for a privacy-enhancing software upgrade. Though Marathons mining pool had attracted attention for its initial refusal to signal support, its CEO changed course, amid pressure from the Bitcoin community. The company released a statement announcing that the companys mining pools would cease to filter future transactions.
However, the lack of regulatory compliance will not last. The Joe Biden administration is already reportedly discussing cryptocurrency guardrails. Even if North American Bitcoin miners intended to follow the tenets of censorship resistance, the formation of a council presents a tempting target for regulators. Congress will have warm bodies to drag in for testimony and tongue-lashing.
Without pressure from legal tender laws, Bitcoins value comes from a shared belief in its resistance to censorship. In earlier days, the prospect of centralized mining would be enough to turn participants away. In 2014, one Bitcoin mining pool briefly gained 51% of the total hashing power, prompting a global selloff.
Even though it might have been possible to exploit the majority hash power for profit, the possibility of shattering the illusion of decentralized trust motivated the pools operators to back off. The company issued a statement promising to keep future power below 40% and urged others to do the same.
Now that Bitcoin has achieved institutional support, participants are not as hasty to head for the exits over a loss of decentralization. Instead, investors will lean on Bitcoins potential for subsidizing clean energy and adherence to sustainability as its primary source of value. Bitcoin purists will need to decide whether the price increase is worth it.
Here is the original post:
View: Elon Musk is pulling Bitcoin where it loathed to go - Economic Times
- Bitcoin Fork Suffers Massive 51% Attack In Attempt To Destroy The Cryptocurrency, Sending Its Price Sharply Lower - Forbes - August 4th, 2021
- What if bitcoin went to zero? - The Economist - August 4th, 2021
- 'Green Bitcoin Mining': The Big Profits In Clean Crypto - Forbes - August 4th, 2021
- Where Are Bitcoin Prices Headed After Their Latest Pullback? - Forbes - August 4th, 2021
- Why Ethereum Could Surpass Bitcoin In The Near Future - Crunchbase News - August 4th, 2021
- The IRS has seized $1.2 billion worth of cryptocurrency this fiscal year here's what happens to it - CNBC - August 4th, 2021
- Crypto Provision In Infrastructure Bill May Force Bitcoin Miners And Blockchain Companies To Flee U.S. - Forbes - August 4th, 2021
- Bitcoins Rally to $90K+ Took a Detour but Appears Back on Track - Yahoo Finance - August 4th, 2021
- Bitcoin price hovers around $38600 in early Tuesday trading - Fox Business - August 4th, 2021
- Celsius CEO still sees Bitcoin finishing the year between $140-160K - Yahoo Finance - August 4th, 2021
- China's attempt to kill Bitcoin failed Here are 3 reasons why - Cointelegraph - August 4th, 2021
- Panic spreading as bitcoin price goes up and down - NEWS.com.au - August 4th, 2021
- Bitcoin is a must have in your portfolio: Expert - Yahoo Finance - August 4th, 2021
- Not only free pizzas, Indias Olympic medal winners to get free Bitcoins too - Economic Times - August 4th, 2021
- Panic Is Suddenly Spreading Among Bitcoin, Ethereum, BNB, XRP And Dogecoin Traders Even As The Market Soars Toward A $1.7 Trillion Price - Forbes - August 2nd, 2021
- Out of control and rising: why bitcoin has Nigerias government in a panic - The Guardian - August 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin price surges toward $40,000 --- Here are 4 reasons - MarketWatch - August 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin leaps 12% to test recent peaks, ether hits 3-week high - Reuters - August 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin-based scams mean the federal government now needs a crypto bank - Vox.com - August 2nd, 2021
- Analysts Discuss Bitcoin Over-the-Counter Desks Bubbling With BTC Demand Markets and Prices Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - August 2nd, 2021
- Price Forecast for Bitcoin and 2 Altcoins, From Crypto Research Head - Business Insider - Business Insider - August 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin price touches $40,000 - Fox Business - August 2nd, 2021
- How Bitcoin Solves The Store Of Value Problem - Bitcoin Magazine - August 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin, Ethereum, Tether: A Look at Top Cryptocurrencies and Their Worth - Gadgets 360 - August 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin Hits Key Level Not Seen Since May Amid Wood, Musk Boost - Bloomberg - July 25th, 2021
- Bitcoin: Where do We Stand In Summer 2021? - Forbes - July 25th, 2021
- Havent Checked On That Bitcoin Account In A While? Your State Could Have It Liquidated - Forbes - July 25th, 2021
- Ethereum, the No. 2 behind bitcoin, fights off challengers that offer cheaper and faster blockchains - MarketWatch - July 25th, 2021
- Bitcoin Trading Strategy As The Cryptocurrency Moves Above 50-Day Simple Moving Average In Recovery Mode - Forbes - July 25th, 2021
- British fintech boss sounds the alarm about 'dangers' of bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies - CNBC - July 25th, 2021
- Bitcoin price slides amid EU call to make transfers traceable, and rise of stablecoins - The Guardian - July 25th, 2021
- This classic trading pattern signaled that Bitcoin price had hit a top - Cointelegraph - July 25th, 2021
- Factors To Take Into Consideration For Choosing The Suitable Bitcoin Wallet! - State-Journal.com - July 25th, 2021
- 3 reasons why traders think Bitcoin price bottomed at $29,500 - Cointelegraph - July 25th, 2021
- Bitcoin (BTC USD) Cryptocurrency Price Chart May Show $30,000 as Floor - Bloomberg - July 18th, 2021
- How to Dip a Toe Into Bitcoin - The Wall Street Journal - July 18th, 2021
- More than half of experts in a recent crypto survey said bitcoin will replace fiat currency by 2050 - Markets Insider - July 18th, 2021
- It's very dangerous to invest in stocks and bitcoin right now, long-time bear David Tice warns - CNBC - July 18th, 2021
- Draper says Bitcoin is Stronger than Fiat Abroad; Serves as a Hedge for Inflation in the U.S. - Yahoo Finance - July 18th, 2021
- Bitcoin rises as ways to avoid taxes emerge - Fox Business - July 18th, 2021
- Kelly Evans: Where will Bitcoin strike next? - CNBC - July 18th, 2021
- Bitcoin DeFi is on the rise as Jack Dorsey's Square muscles into territory long held by ethereum - Markets Insider - July 18th, 2021
- Bitcoin Falls To $32,500 As Inflation Hits A 13-Year High - Forbes - July 14th, 2021
- Bitcoin's Range Play Likely to End With Bullish Breakout: Analyst - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - July 14th, 2021
- Jack Dorsey confirms Square's bitcoin wallet and TikTok bans crypto promotions: 5 things that happened in crypto this past week - CNBC - July 14th, 2021
- Top cryptocurrency prices today: Bitcoin tanks 8%, Ethereum follows with 21% plunge - Economic Times - July 14th, 2021
- Renewed Hope: How Bitcoin And Green Energy Can Save Ethiopias Economy - Forbes - July 14th, 2021
- How China and India are helping shape the future of CBDCs and Bitcoin - Business Insider - July 14th, 2021
- Are Bitcoin Prices Getting Ready To Break Free Of Their Current Malaise? - Forbes - July 10th, 2021
- Are Institutional Investors Undervaluing The Taproot Upgrade To Bitcoin? - Forbes - July 10th, 2021
- Currency and control: why China wants to undermine bitcoin - The Guardian - July 10th, 2021
- Bitcoin's Weakness Is Dragging Down Square Stock. It Might Be Time to Buy. - Barron's - July 10th, 2021
- Bitcoin Price Prediction A Move Back Through to $34,000 Would Bring $35,000 into Play - Yahoo Finance - July 10th, 2021
- Lawmaker in Paraguay says he will introduce bitcoin regulation law next week - The Block Crypto - July 10th, 2021
- Top cryptocurrency news on July 10: Major stories on Bitcoin, Binance and NFTs - Moneycontrol.com - July 10th, 2021
- Bitcoin, ether, dogecoin cracked nearly 10% today. Here is why - Mint - July 10th, 2021
- Bitcoin needs a 'new type of institutional investor' to bring price back up - Yahoo Finance - July 10th, 2021
- 123-Year-Old Hydroelectric Plant Sees New Life Mining Bitcoin Revenue 3x Higher Than Selling to the Grid Mining Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - July 10th, 2021
- Guidelines That Will Assist You In Picking The Flawless Bitcoin Trading Platform! - Santa Clarita Valley Signal - July 10th, 2021
- Why El Salvador Is Giving Every Citizen $30 in Bitcoin ... - July 7th, 2021
- Bitcoins Mid-$30,000 Struggle And $2.87 Billion Crypto Whale Spike - Forbes - July 7th, 2021
- This Is The Key Level To Reignite The Bitcoin Rally - Forbes - July 7th, 2021
- Bitcoin price above $34,000 as places accepting cryptocurrency rises - Fox Business - July 7th, 2021
- Bitcoin prices have crashed, but CoinBase stock may still double: analyst - Yahoo Finance - July 7th, 2021
- Don't be surprised if ether takes over bitcoin as the dominant digital store of value, Goldman Sachs says - Markets Insider - July 7th, 2021
- Bitcoin.org Hit With DDoS Attack, Bitcoin Demanded as Ransom - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - July 7th, 2021
- Bitcoin set for weekly fall as price dips to end the week - Yahoo Finance - July 7th, 2021
- Spartan Mosquito Accepts Bitcoin and Other Cryptocurrencies From Countries Worldwide - Yahoo Finance - July 7th, 2021
- We Just Ripped The Pin Out Of The GrenadeRadical New Bitcoin Company Issues Stark Coinbase Price Warning - Forbes - July 5th, 2021
- Ransomware Is the IRS of Bitcoin - The Wall Street Journal - July 5th, 2021
- Bitcoin had a wildly volatile first half. Here are 5 of the biggest risks ahead - CNBC - July 5th, 2021
- The SEC should have approved a bitcoin ETF a long time ago, regulator Peirce says - CNBC - July 5th, 2021
- Bitcoin's Regulatory Future Is Darkening. Wall Street Still Likes the Business. - Barron's - July 5th, 2021
- Boom, bust and bewildered: Bitcoin's year so far - Reuters - July 5th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Prices Today on July 4: Bitcoin up, Ethereum sees biggest jump at 2.35% - Moneycontrol.com - July 5th, 2021
- Marathon Digital Reports 17% Increase in Bitcoin Production for June - Yahoo Finance - July 5th, 2021
- What to know about investing in bitcoin trusts - CNBC - July 5th, 2021
- Here's What Bill Gates Has to Say About Bitcoin - The Motley Fool - July 5th, 2021
- JPMorgan Predicts When Bitcoin Bear Market Will Be Over Markets and Prices Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - July 5th, 2021
- Tom Brady admits his 'laser eyes' didn't work on the bitcoin trade - CNBC - June 28th, 2021