UPPER KEYS Its been smooth sailing for retired U.S. Navy SEAL Joe Mastrangelo. Its because he runs a tight ship aboard his 22-foot boat called the Dutch Treat, on which he teaches fellow veterans, active duty personnel and the countys first responders how to navigate the high seas through his nonprofit Veteran Sailing Association.
Mastrangelo has taught about 165 honorably discharged veterans and law enforcement officers how to sail at no cost since late 2016.
Looking ahead, he plans to teach and certify through the American Sailing Association at least 10 more vets by the end of the year, which is heavily dependent on donated funds.
There are a few different courses to choose from that span three to five days. Mastrangelo also teaches more advanced-level classes, if students already have some background in sailing. After completing on-the-water training, students are expected to pass a written exam.
Vets do have to pay for their own transportation and board.
We are struggling financially just to keep these guys sailing. I cover all of the materials and expenses to get these guys out there. Every dime goes toward taking veterans sailing, Mastrangelo said. Ive been extremely fortunate that certain people have heard about his organization and have donated. Im doing what I can. It takes a lot to keep this thing running. Ive applied for grants, but they dont always come to fruition.
Its over the billowing sails and the promise of a high seas adventure that Mastrangelo connects with other veterans.
Its veterans helping veterans, the way it should be, he said.
Purple Heart recipient Dan Lama, who served in the U.S. Armys 25th Infantry Division in Iraq, completed his ASA 101 keelboat and 103 coastal cruising sailing certifications last week with Mastrangelo. Hes learned how to prevail in the sails.
You have to know what you are doing, and why you are doing it, he said. Much like life, this applies to sailing, he said.
I ran 30 nautical miles yesterday with Dan, Mastrangelo said. Dans nephew wants to sail across the Atlantic and make a living off the ocean, and maybe hell go with him.
Before they set sail, Mastrangelo said they spent hours preparing and cleaning hulls. He spends 40 to 50 hours per week on operations beyond teaching vets to sail.
If there is a mechanical issue, we go past sunset. If not, we usually start at 9 a.m. and go until about 6 p.m., Mastrangelo said.
Weve been jamming, he added. We have a whole military base in Key West and in Homestead.
Veteran Sailing Associations operations havent slowed during the COVID-19 pandemic. His Facebook page is covered with success stories of veterans who have passed the class over the last few years.
Its been smooth sailing for me. Im a Navy frogman. Im going to get it done and Ive been very fortunate, Mastrangelo said.
Veteran Sailing Association is located at 90791 Old Highway in Casa Mar Village. For more information, visit veteransailing.com. It can also be found on Facebook under the same name. Mastrangelo can be reached at 305-619-3433.
See original here:
- Sunless Sea is free on the Epic Games Store, Wargame: Red Dragon next - PC Invasion - February 27th, 2021
- JOHN DeMONT: Fighting the PTSD demons one dog at a time - The Journal Pioneer - February 27th, 2021
- Joe Aribo and Leon Balogun take to the high seas for Nigeria - Daily Record - February 27th, 2021
- NEWPORT AREA WEATHER REPORT: Feb. 27-28 - newportri.com - February 27th, 2021
- Can Two Indian Parties Choose Foreign Law To Govern Their Arbitration Agreement? The Delhi High Court Answers In The Affirmative - Litigation,... - February 27th, 2021
- Bahamas flagged reefer ships to benefit from WCPFC cooperation - Sea News - February 27th, 2021
- Tracking down mystery boats on the high seas - The Verge - February 25th, 2021
- Expensive, massive and lethal: The future of the aircraft carrier - CNBC - February 25th, 2021
- How to Beat Covid Insomnia - The New York Times - February 25th, 2021
- Vende Globe: Miranda Merron on the highs and lows of her race - Yachting World - February 25th, 2021
- Rick Riordan announces post-'Percy Jackson' book 'Daughter of the Deep' - Hypable - February 25th, 2021
- Disney Makes It Easier to Sail On Brand-New Cruise Ship - Inside the Magic - February 25th, 2021
- One Piece: 10 Harsh Realities About Being A Pirate | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 25th, 2021
- Hawaii County Weather Forecast for February 21, 2021 - Big Island Now - February 25th, 2021
- Opinion: The other environmental treaties the US must confront - Ensia - February 25th, 2021
- Will NPFC Protect Pacific Saury by Cutting Fish Catch? China and Taiwan Might Disagree - JAPAN Forward - February 25th, 2021
- Joe Aribo and Leon Balogun in Rangers international adventure as Ibrox stars take to the high seas for Nigeria duty - MSN UK - February 25th, 2021
- Sharks and rays are in devastating decline a global solution is needed - chinadialogue ocean - February 25th, 2021
- Theres so much noise that sea creatures cant hear themselves think - Daily Maverick - February 25th, 2021
- What must Landport lads have felt as they sailed into Sydney? | Nostalgia - Portsmouth News - February 25th, 2021
- Coromandel sea search used as warning to boaties - The Bay's News First - SunLive - February 25th, 2021
- The noisy ocean: Humans have made the world's seas a very loud place to live - USA TODAY - February 4th, 2021
- Could Climate Change Be More Extreme Than We Think? - The Atlantic - February 4th, 2021
- Statute of Limitations for the Death on the High Seas Act - State-Journal.com - February 2nd, 2021
- North Atlantic Storm Forecasted to Produce Massive 60-Foot Seas gCaptain - gcaptain.com - February 2nd, 2021
- Nature Doesnt Get a Paycheck. Now, Theres a Movement to Change That. - The New York Times - February 2nd, 2021
- Essex: The Whale Hunter coming to Xbox One, Series X|S, PS4, PS5, Switch and PC in 2023 - TheXboxHub - February 2nd, 2021
- Cruise ship passengers will be required to wear masks, new CDC order states - pennlive.com - February 2nd, 2021
- MPSV Botnica's 10-year icebreaking service to the Transport Administration - GlobeNewswire - February 2nd, 2021
- VW And Cupra Are Using Their MEB Electric Drive Tech On Yachts Now Too - CarScoops - February 2nd, 2021
- The future of Comic Con could be on the high seas - Market Research Telecast - February 2nd, 2021
- FishOn: Saving lives and a life lost | Fishing Industry News | gloucestertimes.com - Gloucester Daily Times - February 2nd, 2021
- Canadian sailor at the helm of massive heroin bust - SaltWire Network - February 2nd, 2021
- Away from home, but still with family - DVIDS - February 2nd, 2021
- Accident on the high seas - now the fisherman provides pictures of evidence - The Weston Forum - February 2nd, 2021
- RECAP | The Twin Models Withdraw From The Amazing Race Australia - TV Blackbox - February 2nd, 2021
- Heavy Rain and Strong Winds expected to continue for the next couple of days - POST-COURIER - February 2nd, 2021
- The Fiji Times TD07F: Further weakened into a low pressure - Fiji Times - February 2nd, 2021
- Collapse of Greenland ice sheet to raise sea level faster than expected - Haaretz - February 2nd, 2021
- New maritime cybersecurity centre to fight pirates on the high seas and the digital world - Global News - January 29th, 2021
- The Grueling 80-Day Vende Globe Sailing Race Finally Has a Winner - Robb Report - January 29th, 2021
- Tokyo rejects Beijing's claims to the South China Sea in message to United Nations - Stars and Stripes - January 29th, 2021
- 'Sea of Thieves' Update Adds Season One, 120 Hz, Arena Tweaks and MorePatch Notes - Newsweek - January 29th, 2021
- Sea Of Thieves Battle Pass Price & Details Revealed By Rare - Screen Rant - January 29th, 2021
- Antoine Mermod, IMOCA Class President, hails 2020-21 Vende Globe as one of the greatest races - Sail World - January 29th, 2021
- Heavy Swells Continue with Possibility of Coastal Flooding in Parts of Eastern and Southern Newfoundland - VOCM - January 29th, 2021
- Switzerland's irresponsible reign on the sea - SWI swissinfo.ch - swissinfo.ch - January 29th, 2021
- 10 Months After Outbreak, USS Theodore Roosevelt is Back in W. Pacific - The Maritime Executive - January 29th, 2021
- Why Have Sharks and Rays Declined by 70 Percent in Five Decades? - The Maritime Executive - January 29th, 2021
- Ocean Beach Pier designed to take the hits - even after some damage from waves pier demonstrates its prowess - Strutting its piling and decking 1 971... - January 29th, 2021
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Jack Sparrow's "Drunk" Walk Is Secretly Genius - Screen Rant - January 29th, 2021
- Science. Tropical cyclones are closer to land around the world - Sunday Vision - January 29th, 2021
- Heavy snow set to hit regions along Sea of Japan through Jan. 30: weather agency - The Mainichi - The Mainichi - January 29th, 2021
- Oceanic sharks and rays have declined by 71% since 1970 a global solution is needed - The Conversation UK - January 29th, 2021
- ZeroNorth and Spire Maritime partner to provide easy access to market-leading AIS and weather data - Hellenic Shipping News Worldwide - January 29th, 2021
- Angus Peter Campbell: Can we sail our way to a better future? - Press and Journal - January 29th, 2021
- Global shark and ray population crashed more than 70% in past 50 years study - The Guardian - January 29th, 2021
- Death on the high seas: Taiwanese rights groups demand end to modern slavery on fishing boats - Telegraph.co.uk - January 19th, 2021
- Cargo Ship Sinks in Black Sea; 6 Rescued and 7 Dead and Missing - The Maritime Executive - January 19th, 2021
- NGOs demand action not promises as EU accused of failing to protect seas - The Guardian - January 19th, 2021
- Cruise ship worker charged with rape, hate crime headed to trial - Virgin Islands Daily News - January 19th, 2021
- What the McElroys Have Revealed About the Adventure Zones Next Campaign - CBR - Comic Book Resources - January 19th, 2021
- Dalin and Burton out of the doldrums in Vendee Globe - FRANCE 24 - January 19th, 2021
- Below Deck: Everything To Know About New Deckhand Rob Phillips - Screen Rant - January 19th, 2021
- Actions Not Promises Says NGOs After EU Allegedly Failed to Protect the Seas - Nature World News - January 19th, 2021
- Parts of Maritimes expected to see heavy snow and rain, high winds this weekend - CTV News Atlantic - January 19th, 2021
- There's not much to be happy this New Year - Tehelka - January 19th, 2021
- Deep fake meme lads sing sea shanty that will make you want to abandon your childhood sweetheart and circumnavigate the globe - JOE.co.uk - January 19th, 2021
- The science is real: Coastal experts hope Biden will partner to combat sea level rise - USA TODAY - January 19th, 2021
- Rigorous management practices have led to successful rebuilding of several West Coast groundfish stocks - Tillamook County Pioneer - January 19th, 2021
- 100 kg heroin from Pakistan seized in high seas south of Thoothukudi by Coast Guard - The New Indian Express - November 29th, 2020
- Forecast: Sunny and mild weekend; stormy weather coming - Newsday - November 29th, 2020
- Navy rescues injured sailor on the high seas - Fiji Times - November 29th, 2020
- Increasing presence of Chinese research and fishing vessels in Indian Ocean Region - The Hindu - November 29th, 2020
- Whoever said freight shipping is boring was clueless: Here's why - AZ Big Media - November 29th, 2020
- Stormy conditions on both sides of Thanksgiving - WBRZ - November 29th, 2020
- Below Deck: Most Memorable Flirty Guests On The Yachts - Screen Rant - November 29th, 2020
- Yemen: Houthis give UN permission to inspect stranded oil tanker - Al Jazeera English - November 29th, 2020
- Space trash cleanup: ESA signs off on first-ever mission - Deutsche Welle - November 29th, 2020
- Navys Information Management and Analysis Centre to become national maritime domain awareness centre - The Hindu - November 29th, 2020