Six months ago, Greater Victoria was celebrating one of its strongest business climate in years.
Now, much like the rest of the world, its facing an economic recovery that could take years.
All around Vancouver Island, local economies are faltering. Health-care systems are strained. Were all told to stay at home and when we do venture out to observe social distancing.
Blame the coronavirus.
ALSO READ: Depression-era unemployment figures could hit Greater Victoria
Even futurist Jim Bottomley didnt see it coming.
This isnt like any economic downturn before because when you look at past recessions, typically theyre human-made, said Bottomley, a Sooke resident.
This time its an actual physical threat. Its a very scary because people didnt see it coming.
But recovery is coming, say officials.
Paul Nursey, the CEO of Destination Greater Victoria, says the Islands tourism industry was the first to be affected by the COVID-19-induced slump, and will likely be the last to fully recover.
His group is working on an 18-month plan through to next summer that aims to keep as much of the industry intact as possible, including reaching out for more government support.
Its really about making sure [those government measures] can actually help us back to recovery and are not just there in the short term. Otherwise, I cant see how our small- to medium-sized businesses are going to last until next summer, Nursey said.
Sooke Mayor Maja Tait, who is also president of the Union of B.C. Municipalities, said recovery will likely look different from one corner of the province to the other.
We know a rush to recover economically will result in a spike of [COVID19] cases, she said.
The road to recovery will be long and hard for most industries, Bottomley said.
This is something thats not going away, he said, noting the 1918 flu pandemic lasted nearly two years, and the second wave was bigger than the first.
The scary part about this particular virus is that its very spreadable.
But there are positives, Bottomley said.
As with any major disruption throughout world history, society has changed often for the better.
He predicts a real disruption on how industries work, more entrepreneurs (although he admits many small businesses will likely shutter), and how we connect each with each other through innovation and technology.
Many businesses have realized that employees can work at home and be productive, and that will mean communities like Sooke could be in for more growth.
Companies wont locate to where they want to locate. Theyll be going to where the workers live, Bottomley said, noting we are entering an innovation age where jobs and careers are changing.
READ MORE: Employers worry about safety, cash flow, second wave in COVID-19 restart
Tait said the District of Sooke is already seeing that movement as council work towards a new work plan for some of its employees.
Were likely going to see more municipal staff work at home permanently, those who dont necessarily meet with the public on a daily basis, she said.
Weve seen through the pandemic productivity and performance climb through the roof.
For more news from the Island and beyond delivered directly to your email inbox, click here.
email@example.comLike us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter
The quickest way to economic recovery is to find a vaccine for COVID-19, says futurist Jim Bottomley.
Vaccines are perceived as key to ending the restraints on work and life that have decimated the global economy, and returning to some sense of normalcy.
Worldwide, there are nearly five million positive cases and over 300,000 have been killed by the virus.
The vaccine is what everyone is hoping for and the sooner the better. But it could still be years away, Bottomley said.
- Introducing the Campus Technology Insider Podcast - Campus Technology - June 24th, 2020
- This is What Sunsets on Other Planets Would Look Like - Futurism - June 24th, 2020
- Astronomers May Have Discovered First-Ever Black Neutron Star - Futurism - June 24th, 2020
- NASA: Next Moon Astronauts Will Hike 10 Miles on Lunar Surface - Futurism - June 24th, 2020
- As fashion resets, its algorithms should too - Vogue Business - June 24th, 2020
- China Is Building a Genetic Database of Every Man in the Country - Futurism - June 24th, 2020
- The Death of the Open-Plan Office? Not Quite, but a Revolution is in the Air - Nextgov - June 24th, 2020
- Freestyle Acquires Divos!; Docs The Prison Within & Superhuman Find Homes; Random Media Takes Opus Of An Angel Film Deal Briefs - Deadline - June 24th, 2020
- Nicholas Mallis' Final Station, And More Music News and Gossip | Flagpole - Flagpole Magazine - June 24th, 2020
- Renewal Shows the Possibility of a Better World Post-Covid - Press Release - Digital Journal - June 24th, 2020
- Working from home is missing something that only offices and cities can provide - MarketWatch - June 24th, 2020
- Futurist site: Flamingo Land thanked for 'sticking with us'; remarketing the site 'would not be appropriate' says council's deputy leader - The... - June 20th, 2020
- How a global pandemic is changing the world: Part 1 - SmartBrief - June 20th, 2020
- Step into 2030: Join The Drum's futurist session to hear what the next decade holds - The Drum - June 13th, 2020
- This Flying Car Looks Like the DeLorean From "Back to the Future" - Futurism - June 13th, 2020
- Bad News: Another Deadly Virus Is Spreading in the US - Futurism - June 13th, 2020
- This Guy Accidentally Took a Photo That Crashes Android Smartphones - Futurism - June 13th, 2020
- Coronavirus live updates: Here's what to know in South Florida on June 12 - msnNOW - June 13th, 2020
- Scientists Claim the Universe Is Actually Flat - Futurism - June 13th, 2020
- SpaceX Trying to Figure Out How to Land Starship on the Moon - Futurism - June 13th, 2020
- Scientists Claim to Have Recreated Earth's First Life - Futurism - June 13th, 2020
- Collapsed Star Proves Another of Einstein's Theories - Futurism - June 13th, 2020
- Elon Musk: Teslas Semi Truck is Officially Going Into Production - Futurism - June 13th, 2020
- This Quasar Warps Itself Into a Ring by Distorting Spacetime - Futurism - June 13th, 2020
- Justice League: Who Is the DC Universe's Tony Stark? | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - June 13th, 2020
- A Futurist's Advice on Navigating through the Technology Valley of Death - CEOWORLD magazine - June 13th, 2020
- A Futurist Explains What Emerging Jobs Will Be Necessary Post-Virus - Hit 107 - June 6th, 2020
- Experts: Protests Unlikely to Cause Huge Wave of COVID Cases - Futurism - June 6th, 2020
- After Explosion, SpaceX Still Hoping to Launch Starship This Year - Futurism - June 6th, 2020
- NASA InSight Lander Finally Manages to Bury Its Probe Into Mars - Futurism - June 6th, 2020
- Evidence Suggests That the Entire Early Universe Was Rotating - Futurism - June 6th, 2020
- Elon Musk Just Absolutely Roasted the Russian Space Program - Futurism - June 6th, 2020
- Study: More Than 500 Vertebrates Poised To Go Extinct - Futurism - June 6th, 2020
- Allison Fine Featured in The New Yorker - Philanthropy Women - June 6th, 2020
- MSN Fires Journalists, Replaces Them With AI - Futurism - June 6th, 2020
- What will design look like in 2030? We asked 3 futurists - Business of Home - June 1st, 2020
- Interstellar Visitor May Be One of Rarest Objects In Universe - Futurism - June 1st, 2020
- 5G Technology - The Cybersecurity Implications of Widespread - tripwire.com - June 1st, 2020
- Half the Visible Universe Was Missing. Scientists Just Found It. - Futurism - June 1st, 2020
- The New Reality: Future of shopping malls in jeopardy as COVID-19 pandemic pushes shoppers online - cjoy.com - June 1st, 2020
- Only One in Two Americans Say They'd Take a COVID-19 Vaccine - Futurism - June 1st, 2020
- Watch the Astronauts Give Their Kids Virtual Hugs Before Launch - Futurism - June 1st, 2020
- Changing face of Liverpool city centre and the shops we've lost along the way - Liverpool Echo - June 1st, 2020
- Folk's Jason Wilber Examines the World Through a Futurist Lens in 'Time Traveler' (album stream) - PopMatters - May 29th, 2020
- The Conversation: Beware of Unemployment Insurance Scammers - Hawaiipublicradio - May 29th, 2020
- The long road to recovery will have a few bumps Victoria News - Victoria News - May 29th, 2020
- The stakes have never been higher as America reopens. What can a post-coronavirus world look like? - USA TODAY - May 29th, 2020
- On the Futurist Cookbook - Apollo Magazine - May 14th, 2020
- UWO alumnus and renowned futurist: 'There has never been more opportunity to make a difference' - UW Oshkosh Today - May 14th, 2020
- What will the world look like after corona? - ISRAEL21c - May 14th, 2020
- US Officials: Chinese Hackers Are Targeting Vaccine Research - Futurism - May 14th, 2020
- Dock a SpaceX Spacecraft to the ISS in This Amazing Simulator - Futurism - May 14th, 2020
- WHO: The Coronavirus Might Be Here Forever - Futurism - May 14th, 2020
- Documentary Spaceship Earth resurrects stranger-than-fiction story of utopian Biosphere 2 experiment - ABC News - May 14th, 2020
- Scientists Have a Promising New Idea to Defeat the Coronavirus - Futurism - May 14th, 2020
- Fauci: Reopening Too Soon Could Lead to "Suffering and Death" - Futurism - May 14th, 2020
- Augmented reality giant Magic Leap is closing its Seattle office amid layoffs - GeekWire - May 14th, 2020
- How will you re-introduce your business to customers? - Trinidad Guardian - May 14th, 2020
- There's a Resurgence of Coronavirus Cases in China - Futurism - May 14th, 2020
- Futurism | Definition, Manifesto, Artists, & Facts ... - April 30th, 2020
- 7 Top Futurists Make Some Pretty Surprising Predictions ... - April 30th, 2020
- The White House Is Trying to Shut Down NASA's Last Mars Rover - Futurism - April 30th, 2020
- Free DNA Test Claims to Warn Whether COVID Is Likely to Kill You - Futurism - April 30th, 2020
- New Zealand Claims to Have Eliminated COVID-19 - Futurism - April 30th, 2020
- The Laws of Physics May Break Down at the Edge of the Universe - Futurism - April 30th, 2020
- These Mathematicians Think the Universe May Be Conscious - Futurism - April 30th, 2020
- This COVID-19 Vaccine Could Be Ready by September - Futurism - April 30th, 2020
- The Conversation: The Future After the Coronavirus Crisis - Hawaiipublicradio - April 30th, 2020
- Elon Musk Says the Starlink Network Will Go Live in Six Months - Futurism - April 26th, 2020
- Automated Education This Grad Student Used a Neural Network to Write His Papers - Futurism - April 26th, 2020
- NASA: Something Is Off About This Interstellar Comet - Futurism - April 26th, 2020
- This is What Air Travel Could Look Like After the Pandemic - Futurism - April 26th, 2020
- The Coronavirus May Be Doing Something Strange to Your Toes - Futurism - April 26th, 2020
- We Need Herd Immunity From Trump and the Coronavirus - The New York Times - April 26th, 2020
- The revolution will not be memorised - Schools Week - April 26th, 2020
- For the First Time Ever, the Price of Oil is Now Negative - Futurism - April 26th, 2020
- The future of work is here: How 'distance work' is transforming the workplace - Washington Technology - April 26th, 2020
- Living In The City - The Chattanoogan - April 26th, 2020
- New Study Predicts the Ocean Ecosystem Will Collapse This Decade - Futurism - April 11th, 2020
- Terrifying Simulation Shows How Viruses Spread When You Cough - Futurism - April 11th, 2020