The Vallejo police officer who shot and killed a man behind a buildingin February 2018 has been placed on paid administrative leave, Vallejo police confirmed in response to public records act request from the Times-Herald.
Officer Ryan McMahon fatally shot Ronell Foster, 33, seven times after the two tussled behind a building in the 400 block of Carolina Street on Feb. 13, 2018. McMahon was also involved in the officer-involved shooting of Willie McCoy in February 2019. McMahon, along with five other Vallejo police officers, shot and killed McCoy at a Taco Bell drive-through.
Police on Wednesday declined to provide any additional information on why McMahon was placed on leave and whether it had anything to do with the Foster or McCoy cases.
Vallejo police Capt. Joseph Iacono declined to provide any comment when asked earlier this month about why McMahon was placed on leave.
I am prohibited from commenting on any potential personnel matter, he told the Times-Herald.
McMahon told investigators that he tried to stop Foster and educate the man about driving recklessly and not having a light on the bicycle, according to documents released this year under the states new police transparency law, SB 1421.
Fosters family, through the law offices of Oakland civil rights attorney John Burris, sued the city and police department three months after Foster was killed. Burris attorneys intended to depose McMahon in anticipation of a trial.
However, in October McMahon signaled his intent to exercise his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination in the federal lawsuit.
McMahon told investigators that Foster rode off on the bicycle, leading him on a chase over several city blocks. Foster eventually ditched his bicycle and started running, while the officer got out of his cruiser and ran after Foster.
During the chase, McMahon reported that he allegedly witnessed Foster reaching for his waistband several times. Believing Foster had a weapon, McMahon discharged his Taser. One of the two probes struck Foster in the back but that didnt stop Foster as he continued to run away until falling along a walkway behind a building on Carolina Street, McMahon told investigators.
McMahon caught up to Foster and pushed the man down as he tried to get up. The officer said he tried to use a stun gun on Foster, but that failed as well.
McMahon said he began hitting Foster with a flashlight. At some point, Foster got up and ripped the flashlight from McMahons hand. The officer told investigators he feared for his life.
This guy just took my light from me, were fighting and nothing Ive used on him is working. He is gonna smack me in the head, McMahon said to investigators. Hes gonna take my gun and shoot me or hes gonna beat me down with my own flashlight, and theres nobody here to help me and nobody knows where Im at.
McMahon said he tried to activate his body camera throughout the encounter, pressed the button after shooting Foster. The system records the 30 seconds prior to activation without audio.
Foster was shot three times in his chest and once in the head, left shoulder, left arm and the right side of his back, autopsy records show. Marijuana, methamphetamine and amphetamine were found in Fosters system.
Go here to see the original:
Vallejo cop involved in two fatal shootings in two years placed on leave - The Mercury News
- Julio Carrillo pleads 5th when called to testify in wife's murder trial - WMTW Portland - December 13th, 2019
- Army veteran who refused to give up firearms citing Fifth Amendment found guilty of defying Florida's new 'red flag' law - MEAWW - December 13th, 2019
- Seattle Eviction Ban: Are We Headed To The End Of Private Property Rentals? - Forbes - December 7th, 2019
- Americans Dont Have to Ask Government for Permission to Practice Their Faith - National Review - December 7th, 2019
- Looking back at the University's DACA lawsuit - The Daily Princetonian - December 7th, 2019
- AP FACT CHECK: Trump and the people he forgets he knew - Minneapolis Star Tribune - December 7th, 2019
- Testimony: Slain Trinity University student had plans to break up with boyfriend to go back to her ex - San Antonio Express-News - December 7th, 2019
- What Jimmy Hoffa's disappearance and legacy say about unions - Quartz - December 7th, 2019
- Trumps side should be heard before House moves on impeachment: Tom Campbell - LA Daily News - December 7th, 2019
- Rutberg: Here's why the impeachment inquiry shouldn't be rushed - The Manchester Journal - December 7th, 2019
- SCOTUS to Review Appeals of Credible-Fear Denials - Immigration Blog - October 24th, 2019
- Day 3: Will Lewis testifies in his own defense - FOX Carolina - October 24th, 2019
- Independent Directors Have To Fulfill These Criteria From December 2019 - Inc42 Media - October 24th, 2019
- Report: 2016 messages suggest Boeing misled FAA on 737 MAX - The Mercury News - October 19th, 2019
- Driver in road rage incident gets a year of probation - Gloucester Daily Times - October 19th, 2019
- The Life-Changing Magic of Impeaching Donald Trump - The New Yorker - October 19th, 2019
- Trump Threatens To Sue CNN Over Coverage 10/21/2019 - MediaPost Communications - October 19th, 2019
- EDA's amended lawsuit approved | Nvdaily | nvdaily.com - Northern Virginia Daily - October 19th, 2019
- The Fifth Amendment administration - Opinion - The Register-Guard - September 30th, 2019
- Flynn pleads the Fifth, rejecting House Intel appearance: report | TheHill - The Hill - September 30th, 2019
- Easley lawyer accused of ethical violations that targeted veterans and bilked investors - Greenville News - September 30th, 2019
- Ridiculous: Former prosecutor laughs off Giulianis latest defense of Trump and advises him to lawyer up - AlterNet - September 30th, 2019
- Danville man guilty in 2017 double slaying; by waiving right to jury trial, 30-year-old avoids possible death penalty - GoDanRiver.com - September 30th, 2019
- Doughty on trial: Defense admits to murders, but seeks manslaughter charges - The Salem News - September 30th, 2019
- BHCC welcomes two new officers - The Mountain -Ear - September 30th, 2019
- A Formal Impeachment Investigation Is Underway. Now What? - Mother Jones - September 30th, 2019
- Could Beto O'Rourke really take your guns? If government attempts a buyback, here's how it would work - The Dallas Morning News - September 30th, 2019
- US indicts 2 bankers in Libor-rigging case - MarketWatch - August 25th, 2017
- Why Trump Can't Pardon Arpaio - New York Times - August 25th, 2017
- Mercer County Sheriff's officer returns to work despite wife's death still under investigation - The Trentonian - August 25th, 2017
- Charleston man arrested for 'Black Lives Matter' graffiti - Charleston Gazette-Mail (subscription) - August 22nd, 2017
- Dumping Trump. All You Need to Know About How He Could Legally Be Removed from the White House - Newsweek - August 20th, 2017
- Groups ask Supreme Court to grant PLF's petition in Wayside Church v. Van Buren County - Pacific Legal Foundation (PLF) (press release) (blog) - August 18th, 2017
- When Corporations Are Good Citizens - The Atlantic - August 18th, 2017
- Lawyers clash over an imaged hard drive as Waymo v. Uber hurtles toward trial - Ars Technica - August 16th, 2017
- The US Government's Secret War on the KKK Involved the FBI, Fidel Castro and Lots of Dirty Tricks - Newsweek - August 16th, 2017
- Judge recuses herself from Karen Spranger's lawsuit against Macomb county - Detroit Free Press - August 14th, 2017
- Does Mueller's grand jury mean an indictment is imminent? - PolitiFact - August 13th, 2017
- Clerk's attorney: Don't let Macomb judges hear her case - The Detroit News - August 11th, 2017
- Omaha City Council members look to boost funding for community service programs in Stothert's proposed budget - Omaha World-Herald - August 11th, 2017
- Active-duty military members sue Trump over transgender ban - Washington Post - August 10th, 2017
- Chetopan ordered tried for child abuse - Parsons Sun - August 10th, 2017
- Be Ready to Push Play on Yourself: Advice from Hip Hop's Newest Mega Star - HuffPost - August 10th, 2017
- Topeka lawyer for elderly women takes Fifth, disbarred amid ethics questions - Topeka Capital Journal - August 9th, 2017
- Why Robert Mueller's Grand Jury Isn't Really a Big Deal - Fortune - August 5th, 2017
- Interactive Constitution: Grand Juries and the Fifth Amendment - Constitution Daily (blog) - August 4th, 2017
- Case Note: Allen and Conti - JD Supra (press release) - August 3rd, 2017
- Why Robert Mueller's Grand Jury Isn't a Big DealYet - TIME - August 3rd, 2017
- Independence Pass defendant denies multiple allegations - Aspen Daily News - August 3rd, 2017
- Bush-appointed judge finds federal marriage ban unconstitutional - Wisconsin Gazette - August 2nd, 2017
- Second Circuit: Fifth Amendment Bars Testimony Compelled by Foreign Governments - Lexology (registration) - August 1st, 2017
- Reich Says Former GOP Congressman Said Trump is 'Fritzing Out' - Roll Call - August 1st, 2017
- Second Circuit Clarifies Fifth Amendment Law, with Implications for US Prosecution of International Cartels - The National Law Review - July 28th, 2017
- Why Hasn't Trump Already Pardoned Kushner, Flynn, Page and Manafort? - Newsweek - July 28th, 2017
- Convictions Overturned: Fifth Amendment Prohibits Use of Testimony Compelled by Foreign Governments - Lexology (registration) - July 28th, 2017
- Will Manafort claim the Fifth Amendment? Where does this leave Donald Jr.? - Newsweek - July 26th, 2017
- Fifth Amendment Prohibits Use of Compelled Foreign Testimony in US Criminal Trials - Lexology (registration) - July 26th, 2017
- US Second Circuit Finds Testimony Compelled by UK Regulators to ... - The National Law Review - July 26th, 2017
- The President's Pardons Paradox: Granting Them Could Aid the ... - Just Security - July 26th, 2017
- Fifth Amendment Prohibits Use of Compelled Foreign Testimony in US Criminal Trials - JD Supra (press release) - July 26th, 2017
- Boss of firm behind anti-Trump dossier to plead the Fifth at congressional hearing - Washington Times - July 26th, 2017
- Another Trump stride toward the cliff - The Garden City Telegram - July 26th, 2017
- Libor and London Whale Cases Show Hurdles With Foreign Defendants - New York Times - July 25th, 2017
- Seven Observations About Jared Kushner's Statement - Foreign Policy (blog) - July 25th, 2017
- Who killed Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman? - CBS News - July 25th, 2017
- US-Russia probe: Trump son-in-law Kushner denies collusion - BBC News - July 24th, 2017
- What The Heck? Man Who Runs Firm Behind Trump-Russia Dossier ... - LawNewz - July 24th, 2017
- Update on Fingerprints, Phones, and the Fifth Amendment ... - July 23rd, 2017
- Co-founder of firm behind Trump-Russia dossier to plead the Fifth - Fox News - July 23rd, 2017
- Testimony of co-defendant contentious in upcoming Fort Collins murder trial - Loveland Reporter-Herald - July 22nd, 2017
- Fifth Amendment Concerns Result in Overturned Convictions in First Criminal LIBOR Appeal - Lexology (registration) - July 21st, 2017
- Interactive Constitution: The Twenty-Fifth Amendment - Constitution Daily (blog) - July 21st, 2017
- Are There Limits To Trump's Pardon Power? - HuffPost - July 21st, 2017
- Apopka City Council kills deal to settle lawsuit with ex-official Richard Anderson - Orlando Sentinel - July 20th, 2017
- Trump urged by CEO to nationalize the only US rare-earths mine - The Boston Globe - July 19th, 2017
- Prosecutor: Attempted murder began with feud over coat - Bloomington Pantagraph - July 19th, 2017
- Prosecutor: Attempted murder began with feud over a coat | Local ... - Bloomington Pantagraph - July 18th, 2017
- New gun law threat to constitutional rights - Herald and News - July 18th, 2017
- Byron York: What campaign wouldn't seek motherlode of Clinton emails? - Washington Examiner - July 17th, 2017
- Not All Foreign-Influence Scandals Are Created Equal - National Review - July 17th, 2017