While Mr. Sisi approved the new law almost two months after his meeting with Mr. Trump, concerns over Egypts human rights record and its relationship with North Korea have been percolating for years.
Robert Satloff, the executive director of the Washington Institute for Near East Policy, said the conflicting messages from the Trump administration were surprising.
It is unusual that the Trump administration would take a punitive measure against Egypt, given the presidents outreach to President Sisi and his general embrace of this Egyptian government, Mr. Satloff said. I would not say reports of difficulties with Egypts human rights situation or its connection with North Korea are new.
Secretary of State Rex W. Tillersons top priority has been to increase North Koreas economic and diplomatic isolation, and he has asked foreign leaders in almost every meeting that they cut ties with Pyongyang.
Egypt has been close with North Korea since at least the 1970s. North Korean pilots trained Egyptian fighter pilots before the 1973 war with Israel, and Egypt was later accused of supplying Scud missiles to North Korea, said Daniel Leone of the Project on Middle East Democracy.
This year, United Nations investigators said they acquired evidence of North Korean trade in hitherto unreported items such as encrypted military communications, man-portable air defense systems, air defense systems and satellite-guided missiles in the Middle East and Africa, among other locations.
In 2015, a United Nations panel said that Egypts Port Said was being used by North Korean front companies and shipping agents engaged in weapons smuggling.
Successive American administrations have privately raised the issue of North Korea in talks with Cairo, but with little success. The United States may be pressuring Egypt over its civilian and military links to North Korea. One of Egypts richest men, Naguib Sawiris, owns Orascom Telecom Media and Technology, the telecommunications company that helped set up North Koreas main cellular telephone network in 2008.
Another factor in the decision to limit funding to Egypt is the draconian law regulating aid agencies particularly those funded by Western governments and organizations which was signed into law by Mr. Sisi in late May. Several Egyptian groups, including those working with victims of police torture, said the law will make it impossible for them to continue their work and may force them to shut down.
The Trump administration has proposed significant cutbacks in foreign aid and has promised to demand greater accountability from aid recipients.
But Tuesdays actions were not as tough as they might have been. By pausing the provision of $195 million in military funding, the Trump administration saved the money from expiring entirely on Sept. 30. This way, Egypt could eventually get the money if its record on human rights improves.
Gardiner Harris reported from Washington, and Declan Walsh from London.
A version of this article appears in print on August 23, 2017, on Page A8 of the New York edition with the headline: U.S. Curbs Aid to Egypt, Citing Human Rights Record and North Korean Ties.
See the original post here:
US Slaps Egypt on Human Rights Record and Ties to North Korea - New York Times
- Crackpots claim they have spotted human bone on Mars but its just a rock - New York Post - June 17th, 2020
- Singapore to start human trials of Covid-19 vaccine in August - Bangkok Post - June 17th, 2020
- We have an opportunity to tackle human rights challenges post-COVID-19. We need to take it View - Euronews - June 17th, 2020
- No, we haven't found a human bone on Mars - Metro.co.uk - June 17th, 2020
- Exclusive: Dan Abnett On Writing Rai And What's To Come - Screen Rant - June 17th, 2020
- Every PS5 Game Confirmed (And Expected) So Far - GameSpot - June 17th, 2020
- Milford school board expected to hire John Spieser as superintendent on Thursday - The Cincinnati Enquirer - June 17th, 2020
- People and the planet: The future of development in a post-COVID-19 world - UN Environment - June 17th, 2020
- Texas City Tops the List of Dog Attacks on Postal Workers in US - Newstalk1290 - June 17th, 2020
- This Essay Collection is a Roadmap Toward A Healthier Post-COVID Food System - Food Tank - June 17th, 2020
- An Atheist Shares the Helpful Email She Received After Her Father's Death - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - March 31st, 2020
- Father Ted star Pauline McLynn glad to be an atheist after new BBC show - Extra.ie - March 31st, 2020
- How far should genetic engineering go to allow this couple to have a healthy baby? - Sydney Morning Herald - March 24th, 2020
- Books about pandemics to read in the time of coronavirus - Cape Cod Times - March 24th, 2020
- Scientists make genetically engineered neurons, speculate sci-fi kind of reality in future - International Business Times, Singapore Edition - March 24th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Scientists tackle the theories on how it started - Sky News - March 24th, 2020
- New Research: There May Be a Way to Turn Cells into Mini-Factories for Materials - The National Interest - March 24th, 2020
- Vaccine Trials To Fight Coronavirus Offer Hope, Could Be Harbinger Of New Technology - Outlook India - March 24th, 2020
- Dr Shreeram Lagoo: The sensitive rationalist always on the social beat - Hindustan Times - December 18th, 2019
- Shriram Lagoo (1927-2019): Acting legend and rationalist leaves behind a rich and complex legacy - Scroll.in - December 18th, 2019
- In Conversation with Howard Ross Social Justice Advocate - Thrive Global - December 18th, 2019
- The Varieties of Mystical Experience - Psychology Today - December 18th, 2019
- Take the lead - Daily Pioneer - December 18th, 2019
- Theatre and film actor Dr Shriram Lagoo passes away at 92 - The New Indian Express - December 18th, 2019
- From small town boy to significant contributor - The Age - December 18th, 2019
- From Brown's bigot to Brexit and Boris - Dhaka Tribune - December 18th, 2019
- Israeli Journalist who Interviewed the Rebbe Passed Away - Anash.org - Good News - December 18th, 2019
- EU Policies Dont Tackle Root Causes of Migration They Risk Aggravating Them - Inter Press Service - December 18th, 2019
- Analyzing the Conspiracist Firestorm over Notre Dame - New Ideal - October 16th, 2019
- frag/men/t: Artist Dan Gladden explores the queer posthuman form - OUTinPerth - August 25th, 2017
- West Nile virus found in human-biting mosquito, detected in 20 towns - New Haven Register - August 25th, 2017
- Hall Center for the Humanities events to explore the posthuman condition - KU Today - August 22nd, 2017
- Hundreds confess to eating human flesh in South Africa - New York Post - August 22nd, 2017
- US holds up military aid to Egypt over human rights concerns - Washington Post - August 22nd, 2017
- Human remains found in caiman may belong to missing man - New York Post - August 20th, 2017
- Natalee Holloway's dad finds human remains in Aruba - New York Post - August 20th, 2017
- British scientists develop world's smallest surgical robot that can mimic human arm - Firstpost - August 20th, 2017
- Big Brother: Elena slams Josh as 'an irrational human' - EW.com - August 20th, 2017
- A Speedier Way to Catalog Human Cells (All 37 Trillion of Them) - New York Times - August 18th, 2017
- Human rights commission 'reset' - Bangkok Post - August 18th, 2017
- AirAsia trains crew to spot human traffickers - Bangkok Post - August 16th, 2017
- Portage gets first look at human rights proposal - Chicago Tribune - August 16th, 2017
- A mob of beachgoers wanted to play with a baby dolphin and wound up killing it - Washington Post - August 16th, 2017
- Cuomo proposes new hate crimes provisions post-Charlottesville - Albany Times Union - August 15th, 2017
- Cristiano Ronaldo shows he's human; Matic key for Man Utd; Neymar's start - ESPN FC (blog) - August 15th, 2017
- 'Brains linked to computers will kill our inner freedom' - Zizek to RT on biohacking & identity loss - RT - August 15th, 2017
- Human remains discovered in Fayette County - Tribune-Review - August 15th, 2017
- India @ 70: A floating post office, a human calculator and 8 other amazing facts - Hindustan Times - August 14th, 2017
- I Am Not a Human Pacifier | Nurshable - August 13th, 2017
- Obama Responds To Charlottesville Violence With A Quote From Nelson Mandela - HuffPost - August 13th, 2017
- Taiwan master offers handwriting with a human touch - South China Morning Post - August 13th, 2017
- First human case of West Nile virus reported in Carson City-Douglas area - KRNV My News 4 - August 13th, 2017
- We're one step closer to using pig organs in human transplants - CBS News - August 13th, 2017
- It's not just Venezuela. Elected governments don't necessarily defend democracy or protect human rights. - Washington Post - August 11th, 2017
- The Climate Post: Federal Science Report Finds Human Activity Does Influence Climate Change - HuffPost - August 11th, 2017
- Scientists Hit Breakthrough In Quest To Transplant Pig Organs Into Humans - HuffPost - August 11th, 2017
- +/- Human review Is this the future of artificial intelligence? Bring it on - The Guardian - August 10th, 2017
- Discovery of 13 million-year-old ape skull shows what human ancestors may have looked like - Washington Post - August 10th, 2017
- New UN report spotlights human trafficking into Thailand - Bangkok Post - August 10th, 2017
- Decoding the ancient logic of the Google Bro - Washington Post - August 9th, 2017
- Chinese man stopped at bus station with two human arms in bag - South China Morning Post - August 9th, 2017
- White House reviewing new report that finds strong link between climate change, human activity - Washington Post - August 8th, 2017
- Posthuman age - DAWN.com - August 8th, 2017
- Saudi Arabia must do something about its barbaric human rights practices - Washington Post - August 6th, 2017
- Human vs. machine contests (real or fictional) but involving ordinary humans - Washington Post - August 6th, 2017
- Saudi Arabia defends decision to execute 14 Saudi Shiites - Washington Post - August 6th, 2017
- Hikers form human chain to cross river after flash-flood - New York Post - August 4th, 2017
- The hidden environmental costs of dog and cat food - Washington Post - August 4th, 2017
- 'Obviously Human': Mother Posts Heart-Wrenching Photos of Baby She Lost at 14 Weeks - CBN News - August 4th, 2017
- AI-Powered Companies Combine Machine Intelligence And Human Ingenuity - HuffPost - August 4th, 2017
- Man charged with human trafficking in Howard County - The ... - Washington Post - August 3rd, 2017
- Scientists discover method to rejuvenate aging human cells - National Post - August 3rd, 2017
- First human embryo editing experiment in US 'corrects' gene for heart condition - Washington Post - August 3rd, 2017
- Can Human Beings Survive The Impending Climate Crisis? - HuffPost - August 3rd, 2017
- The milk of human kindness - The Jerusalem Post - August 3rd, 2017
- Some feared hackers and the devil. Others got microchipped. - Washington Post - August 2nd, 2017
- At The Human Library, The Books Are People And The Stories Are All True - 90.5 WESA - August 2nd, 2017
- YouTube says AI better than humans at removing extremist videos post-brand safety crisis - The Drum - August 1st, 2017
- More Jacksonville Businesses Might Have To Hang Human Trafficking Signs - WJCT NEWS - August 1st, 2017
- Tech companies fear repercussions from a new bill in the US Congress to combat human trafficking - Recode - August 1st, 2017