The State Department is withholding $195 million in military aid for Egypt and has completely withdrawn almost $96 million in other aid for the impoverished country as a sign of displeasure over human rights concerns and a new law placing strict restrictions on aid groups working in the country.
Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, who signed papers related to the funding this week, notified Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry of the decision in a phone call Tuesday, according to State Department officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity about the internal discussion.
The largest chunk of funding is $195 million in military aid, which is supposed to help Egypt fight domestic security threats and terrorism. That unspent money would be returned to Congress at the end of the fiscal year next month. Instead, Tillerson authorized it to be put in a separate account and held in reserve until Egypt shows some progress on key priorities such as human rights abuses and the new law that many nongovernmental organizations say makes their charity work illegal. Egypt should get the money eventually, the officials said.
In separate action authorized by Tillerson, the administration decided to take away from Egypt another $65.7 million in military aid and $30 million in economic aid, and give it to other countries instead. The new recipients have not been determined.
We wanted to send the message were not happy at the lack of progress in human rights and the NGO law, a State Department official said. We want to see improvements.
U.S. officials, whenever they have met with their Egyptian counterparts, have for a long time made a point of mentioning their concerns about human rights abuses in Egypt. They were particularly worried about the impact of the NGO law passed by parliament late last year and ratified in late May by President Abdel Fatah al-Sissi.
The new law gives the government the power to decide who can establish an NGO and what kind of work they do. It also requires that donations of more than about $550 be preapproved. Failure to inform the government in a timely fashion potentially carries penalties of up to five years in jail and $55,000.
Many rights groups say the law in effect prohibits them from doing their job, because it bans them from engaging in anything deemed harmful to national security, public order or morals a vague definition that they say is intended to stifle dissent.
The government has accused human rights groups of trying to undermine the social order, and some are being investigated over the source of their funds.
A State Department official said the United States thought Egypt had in effect made a promise this year that the law would never take effect. When Sissi signed it, diplomats thought they had been misled.
Egypt has been the second-largest recipient of U.S. aid since it signed a peace treaty with Israel in 1979. It has received $80 billion in military and economic aid over the past 30years. In 2013, President Barack Obama froze the supply of military equipment after the Egyptian army overthrew President Mohamed Morsi. When aid was resumed, Congress required that the secretary of state certify that Egypt was making progress in governing democratically.
- Dr Shreeram Lagoo: The sensitive rationalist always on the social beat - Hindustan Times - December 18th, 2019
- Shriram Lagoo (1927-2019): Acting legend and rationalist leaves behind a rich and complex legacy - Scroll.in - December 18th, 2019
- In Conversation with Howard Ross Social Justice Advocate - Thrive Global - December 18th, 2019
- The Varieties of Mystical Experience - Psychology Today - December 18th, 2019
- Take the lead - Daily Pioneer - December 18th, 2019
- Theatre and film actor Dr Shriram Lagoo passes away at 92 - The New Indian Express - December 18th, 2019
- From small town boy to significant contributor - The Age - December 18th, 2019
- From Brown's bigot to Brexit and Boris - Dhaka Tribune - December 18th, 2019
- Israeli Journalist who Interviewed the Rebbe Passed Away - Anash.org - Good News - December 18th, 2019
- EU Policies Dont Tackle Root Causes of Migration They Risk Aggravating Them - Inter Press Service - December 18th, 2019
- Analyzing the Conspiracist Firestorm over Notre Dame - New Ideal - October 16th, 2019
- frag/men/t: Artist Dan Gladden explores the queer posthuman form - OUTinPerth - August 25th, 2017
- West Nile virus found in human-biting mosquito, detected in 20 towns - New Haven Register - August 25th, 2017
- Hall Center for the Humanities events to explore the posthuman condition - KU Today - August 22nd, 2017
- Hundreds confess to eating human flesh in South Africa - New York Post - August 22nd, 2017
- US Slaps Egypt on Human Rights Record and Ties to North Korea - New York Times - August 22nd, 2017
- Human remains found in caiman may belong to missing man - New York Post - August 20th, 2017
- Natalee Holloway's dad finds human remains in Aruba - New York Post - August 20th, 2017
- British scientists develop world's smallest surgical robot that can mimic human arm - Firstpost - August 20th, 2017
- Big Brother: Elena slams Josh as 'an irrational human' - EW.com - August 20th, 2017
- A Speedier Way to Catalog Human Cells (All 37 Trillion of Them) - New York Times - August 18th, 2017
- Human rights commission 'reset' - Bangkok Post - August 18th, 2017
- AirAsia trains crew to spot human traffickers - Bangkok Post - August 16th, 2017
- Portage gets first look at human rights proposal - Chicago Tribune - August 16th, 2017
- A mob of beachgoers wanted to play with a baby dolphin and wound up killing it - Washington Post - August 16th, 2017
- Cuomo proposes new hate crimes provisions post-Charlottesville - Albany Times Union - August 15th, 2017
- Cristiano Ronaldo shows he's human; Matic key for Man Utd; Neymar's start - ESPN FC (blog) - August 15th, 2017
- 'Brains linked to computers will kill our inner freedom' - Zizek to RT on biohacking & identity loss - RT - August 15th, 2017
- Human remains discovered in Fayette County - Tribune-Review - August 15th, 2017
- India @ 70: A floating post office, a human calculator and 8 other amazing facts - Hindustan Times - August 14th, 2017
- I Am Not a Human Pacifier | Nurshable - August 13th, 2017
- Obama Responds To Charlottesville Violence With A Quote From Nelson Mandela - HuffPost - August 13th, 2017
- Taiwan master offers handwriting with a human touch - South China Morning Post - August 13th, 2017
- First human case of West Nile virus reported in Carson City-Douglas area - KRNV My News 4 - August 13th, 2017
- We're one step closer to using pig organs in human transplants - CBS News - August 13th, 2017
- It's not just Venezuela. Elected governments don't necessarily defend democracy or protect human rights. - Washington Post - August 11th, 2017
- The Climate Post: Federal Science Report Finds Human Activity Does Influence Climate Change - HuffPost - August 11th, 2017
- Scientists Hit Breakthrough In Quest To Transplant Pig Organs Into Humans - HuffPost - August 11th, 2017
- +/- Human review Is this the future of artificial intelligence? Bring it on - The Guardian - August 10th, 2017
- Discovery of 13 million-year-old ape skull shows what human ancestors may have looked like - Washington Post - August 10th, 2017
- New UN report spotlights human trafficking into Thailand - Bangkok Post - August 10th, 2017
- Decoding the ancient logic of the Google Bro - Washington Post - August 9th, 2017
- Chinese man stopped at bus station with two human arms in bag - South China Morning Post - August 9th, 2017
- White House reviewing new report that finds strong link between climate change, human activity - Washington Post - August 8th, 2017
- Posthuman age - DAWN.com - August 8th, 2017
- Saudi Arabia must do something about its barbaric human rights practices - Washington Post - August 6th, 2017
- Human vs. machine contests (real or fictional) but involving ordinary humans - Washington Post - August 6th, 2017
- Saudi Arabia defends decision to execute 14 Saudi Shiites - Washington Post - August 6th, 2017
- Hikers form human chain to cross river after flash-flood - New York Post - August 4th, 2017
- The hidden environmental costs of dog and cat food - Washington Post - August 4th, 2017
- 'Obviously Human': Mother Posts Heart-Wrenching Photos of Baby She Lost at 14 Weeks - CBN News - August 4th, 2017
- AI-Powered Companies Combine Machine Intelligence And Human Ingenuity - HuffPost - August 4th, 2017
- Man charged with human trafficking in Howard County - The ... - Washington Post - August 3rd, 2017
- Scientists discover method to rejuvenate aging human cells - National Post - August 3rd, 2017
- First human embryo editing experiment in US 'corrects' gene for heart condition - Washington Post - August 3rd, 2017
- Can Human Beings Survive The Impending Climate Crisis? - HuffPost - August 3rd, 2017
- The milk of human kindness - The Jerusalem Post - August 3rd, 2017
- Some feared hackers and the devil. Others got microchipped. - Washington Post - August 2nd, 2017
- At The Human Library, The Books Are People And The Stories Are All True - 90.5 WESA - August 2nd, 2017
- YouTube says AI better than humans at removing extremist videos post-brand safety crisis - The Drum - August 1st, 2017
- More Jacksonville Businesses Might Have To Hang Human Trafficking Signs - WJCT NEWS - August 1st, 2017
- Tech companies fear repercussions from a new bill in the US Congress to combat human trafficking - Recode - August 1st, 2017
- Washington Post: Why human rights defenders love John McCain - Concord Monitor - July 31st, 2017
- Big Rigs, a Human Smuggling Mainstay, Often Become Rolling Traps - New York Times - July 31st, 2017
- Kelvin Benjamin's heartfelt Instagram post shows human side of football - ESPN (blog) - July 29th, 2017
- Fellow humans, don't panic yet - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - July 29th, 2017
- Why human rights defenders love John McCain - The Washington Post - Washington Post - July 29th, 2017
- If you could 'design' your own child, would you? - Washington Post - July 29th, 2017
- Maybe the AI dystopia is already here - Washington Post - July 29th, 2017
- Inevitably Posthuman? - The Weekly Standard - July 28th, 2017
- Trump's speech encouraging police to be 'rough,' annotated - Washington Post - July 28th, 2017
- 'First human cyborg' sucker-punched in subway station - New York Post - July 28th, 2017
- 10 People Dead In 'Human Trafficking' Case In Texas Parking Lot - HuffPost - July 28th, 2017
- Scientists genetically modify a human embryo for the first time - New York Post - July 27th, 2017
- Scientists are building DNA from scratch to redesign life - New York Post - July 27th, 2017
- Human Ken Doll Rodrigo Alves is 'waiting for his new chin to arrive in the post' ahead of 35k surgery binge - The Sun - July 26th, 2017
- Investigator: Driver part of larger human-smuggling scheme - The Denver Post - July 26th, 2017
- Plummeting Sperm Counts Could Result In Human Extinction, Doctor Warns - HuffPost UK - July 26th, 2017
- Company whose trailer was used in human smuggling case has history of legal problems - Washington Post - July 26th, 2017
- Here's a list of people Trump has fired or threatened to fire - Washington Post - July 26th, 2017