Update 8 p.m.: The trough of low pressure over the Bahamas continues to produce disorganized shower activity with a 10 percent chance of becoming a tropical system. But it could bring heavy rain to portions of the Bahamas and Florida during the next day or two, according to the National Hurricane Center.
Meanwhile, another low-pressure system east-northeast of the northern Leeward Islands has become a little better organized. Theres a 50 percent chance of development over the next five days.
Check the latest tropical outlook
RELATED: Franklin hits 85 mph, aims at Mexico coast First 2017 hurricane forms as forecasters predict busier storm season
Update 2 p.m.: A small area of showers over the Bahamas was given a 10 percent chance of becoming a tropical system at the 2 p.m. advisory from the National Hurricane Center.
Although development appears unlikely, this system could bring areas of heavy rain to portions of the Bahamas and Florida during the next day or two, forecasters wrote.
Previous story: National Hurricane Center forecasters are keeping an eye on an area of disorganized showers that could become a tropical system during the weekend.
As of the 8 a.m. advisory, the center gave it a 40 percent chance of developing over the next five days. If the system gains tropical storm strength, it would be named Gert.
But first the trough of low pressure needs to clear an area of dry air and wind shear before it can emerge into conditions somewhat more conducive for development late this week.
Check The Palm Beach Post live storm tracking map.
This disturbance, dubbed Invest 99L, is about 600 miles east of the Leeward Islands and confusing computer models as far as where its headed and how strong it will get.
Designating a disturbance as an invest, short for investigation, is no indication of what the hurricane center thinks it will do, but does allow it to begin gathering more data on it.
Bob Henson, a meteorologist and blogger for Weather Underground called 99L tenacious.
In spite of relentlessly dry air and moderate wind shear, the wave has persisted, and it could yet gather strength once it moves into a zone with lesser wind shear near or just north of the Lesser Antilles late this week, he said.
Four hurricane graphics you should know before the next storm.
Henson said if a system does develop, it would likely be more of a threat to areas from Florida to North Carolina, rather than Virginia north.
The picture could easily change this far out, thoughespecially given the models recent flip-floppingand we have plenty of time to monitor the situation, Henson said.
Invest 99L has a 40 percent chance of development over the next five days.
Weather Channel expert Jim Cantore reminded viewers yesterday of the last time an invest designated 99L wandered in this area of the Atlantic.
It would become 2016s Hurricane Hermine the first storm to make landfall in Florida since Hurricane Wilma in 2005.
Hermine developed in the Florida Straits and zipped through the Gulf of Mexico to make landfall in the big bend area of Florida as a Category 1 storm.
Hurricane Hermine in 2016 was the first hurricane to hit Florida since 2005s Hurricane Wilma.
Read more here:
- Americares to expand Bahamas health care programs - The Advocate - February 21st, 2020
- Banyan Tree to Open Resort With Overwater Bungalows in The Bahamas - Caribbean Journal - February 21st, 2020
- Bahamas Estate Once Home to the Duke of Windsor and Wallis Simpson Hits the Market - Mansion Global - February 21st, 2020
- Former Bahamas Home Of The Duke Of Windsor And Wallis Simpson Goes On The Market - Forbes - February 21st, 2020
- Ecumenical Gathering with the NCC USA at Annunciation GOC in Bahamas - All Archdiocese News - Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America - February 21st, 2020
- Grant Williams vacationed with Carsen Edwards, others in the Bahamas - The Rookie Wire - February 21st, 2020
- AIBT & BFSB Joint Response The Bahamas Off The EU Blacklist - Mondaq News Alerts - February 21st, 2020
- Joe Giudice Dances to Milania's Song While Partying in the Bahamas (VIDEO) - Bravo - February 21st, 2020
- DPM: Bahamas has already satisfied over 30 of 40 FATF recommendations - EyeWitness News - February 21st, 2020
- OECD tax demands may 'devastate the economy' - Bahamas Tribune - February 21st, 2020
- Ministry Of Finance Statement: European Union Removes The Bahamas From Tax Watchlist - Mondaq News Alerts - February 21st, 2020
- Senior Bahamas Tourism Executive Receives Recognition Award from Premier Faith-Based Trade Association - South Florida Caribbean News - February 21st, 2020
- FIBA qualifier: Bahamas will have 10 players against Mexico - Bahamas Tribune - February 21st, 2020
- First look at Disneys new private island Lighthouse Point in the Bahamas - The Irish Sun - February 21st, 2020
- PM: Govt. will aggressively defend borders against illegal migration - EyeWitness News - February 21st, 2020
- Removal from the EU's Tax Watch List Confirms The Bahamas Has Implemented Necessary Reforms - Magnetic Media - February 21st, 2020
- Junior sailors take advantage of the 7th annual Youth Olympic Regatta - Bahamas Tribune - February 21st, 2020
- Airbnb is offering five people a free 2-month 'sabbatical' in the Bahamas - CNBC - January 30th, 2020
- Airbnb is sending 5 people on a 2-month 'sabbatical' to the Bahamas - Business Insider - Business Insider - January 30th, 2020
- Airbnb Wants to Send You on a Sabbatical to the Bahamas - msnNOW - January 30th, 2020
- World News Media Looks at How Financial Services in The Bahamas are Changing in the Latest Issue of World Finance - Yahoo Finance - January 30th, 2020
- Live in The Bahamas for two months with this Airbnb sabbatical - Leicestershire Live - January 30th, 2020
- Airbnb is offering a trip to the Bahamas and it's completely free - Mirror Online - January 30th, 2020
- The United States and The Bahamas Sign Air Transport Agreement - South Florida Caribbean News - January 30th, 2020
- Dream jobs: Airbnb is offering a sustainable sabbatical in The Bahamas - Stylist Magazine - January 30th, 2020
- From The Bahamas to Antigua, the Caribbean's Best Historic Hotels - Caribbean Journal - January 27th, 2020
- Jack Nicklaus' New Residence Club Is Coming to The Bahamas - Caribbean Journal - January 27th, 2020
- Society-Wide Effort Needed to Elevate Skill Levels to Global Norms, says Bahamas Education Minister - Magnetic Media - January 27th, 2020
- Bahamas back as 'least corrupt in the Caribbean' - Bahamas Tribune - January 27th, 2020
- Family Hotel in St Lucia Helps Family Islands in Bahamas - St. Lucia News From The Voice St. Lucia - The Voice St. Lucia - January 27th, 2020
- Team Bahamas 6th overall - Bahamas Tribune - January 27th, 2020
- Bahamas Defence Force investigates bodies washed ashore near Ragged Island - Magnetic Media - January 27th, 2020
- Transparency International: The Bahamas least corrupt in region - Loop News Barbados - January 27th, 2020
- Larry Birkhead Wishes He Went to Bahamas Before Anna Nicole Smith Died: 'She'd Still Be Here' - FOX10 News - January 18th, 2020
- Sea level rise threat to 15% of Bahamas' GDP - Bahamas Tribune - January 18th, 2020
- NexTech AR Solutions CEO Gappelberg to pitch company at investor confab in Bahamas - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - January 18th, 2020
- Bahamas 'top of the heap' before Dorian - Bahamas Tribune - January 18th, 2020
- A Travel Guide To The Bahamas: 15 Things Not To Miss Out On - TheTravel - January 18th, 2020
- Just Under Half the Value of Hurricane Dorian Losses and Damage in The Bahamas is Pledged for Recovery Efforts - Caribbean360.com - January 18th, 2020
- Bahamas travel guide: All the things to do and not miss out on at these Carribean islands - Republic World - Republic World - January 18th, 2020
- Gainey wins The Bahamas Great Exuma Classic - SCNow - January 16th, 2020
- Gainey takes third-round lead at The Bahamas Great Exuma Classic - pgatour.com - January 16th, 2020
- Bahamas Government 'considering its options' for Freeport Grand Bahama International Airport - CAPA - Centre for Aviation - January 16th, 2020
- Supplies to be donated to the Bahamas | Featured Content - Suncoast News - January 16th, 2020
- Three Rescued from Sinking Tug Off Andros Island, Bahamas - The Maritime Executive - January 16th, 2020
- The 21st-ranked Gators open up season in the Bahamas - The Independent Florida Alligator - January 16th, 2020
- Columbus' Claims of Cannibal Raids May Have Been True After All - Livescience.com - January 16th, 2020
- United Airlines pilots mark bar mitzvah, dance with rabbi post-landing in Bahamas - JNS.org - January 16th, 2020
- RBC regional exec: Bank is committed to The Bahamas long term - EyeWitness News - January 16th, 2020
- House Hunting in the Bahamas: Comfort on the Waters of Nassau - The New York Times - December 18th, 2019
- The Bahamas Is Recovering From One Of The Strongest Atlantic Hurricanes On Record - Its Hard - Forbes - December 18th, 2019
- Chronic Disease, Injuries, and Mental Health Issues: The Bahamas' Challenging Future - Direct Relief - December 18th, 2019
- Grand Bahama Island still struggling to recover more than three months after Hurricane Dorian - ABC Action News - December 18th, 2019
- Bulls arrive in the Bahamas - UB Now: News and views for UB faculty and staff - University at Buffalo Reporter - December 18th, 2019
- Michigan company gives away 13 Cadillacs and 30 cruises to the Bahamas at holiday party - WJW FOX 8 News Cleveland - December 18th, 2019
- Josh and the Bahamas - AG INFORMATION NETWORK OF THE WEST - AGInfo Ag Information Network Of The West - December 18th, 2019
- Crowd jeers Reed over rules violation in Bahamas | Golf | Journal Gazette - Fort Wayne Journal Gazette - December 18th, 2019
- Two Ga. Southern students from the Bahamas are graduating after community's help - WJCL News - December 18th, 2019
- What to watch for when Bahamas Bowl kicks off bowl season - Chicago Daily Herald - December 18th, 2019
- Bahamas Opposition accuses the Government of Parliamentary abuse - WIC News - December 18th, 2019
- UN: Men have higher rate of suicide in The Bahamas - EyeWitness News - December 18th, 2019
- Marcus Weathers scores 12 to lift Duquesne over Air Force in Bahamas - TribLIVE - November 23rd, 2019
- Evansville basketball treating Bahamas getaway as a 'business trip' to continue hot start - Courier & Press - November 23rd, 2019
- Oregon's rebounding issues could be put to the test in Bahamas - 247Sports - November 23rd, 2019
- Two local men are home from a life-changing trip to The Bahamas - 13abc Action News - November 23rd, 2019
- Liberty routs Morgan State to open stay in the Bahamas - Lynchburg News and Advance - November 23rd, 2019
- Grand Bahama back on stream: The Bahamas is open for business - Travelweek - November 23rd, 2019
- Heading into the Bahamas, Michigan is where it wants to be - UM Hoops - November 23rd, 2019
- Family reunion: Brothers Jawaun and Tristen Newton go head-to-head in the Bahamas - Courier & Press - November 23rd, 2019
- Liberty vs. Morgan State odds: 2019 The Islands of the Bahamas Showcase picks, predictions from proven model - CBS Sports - November 23rd, 2019
- Hit And Run: $1.35 Million Up For Grabs In partypoker MILLIONS Bahamas Main Event; The Big Blind Poker-Themed Game Show To Debut On PokerGo On... - November 23rd, 2019
- BTC supports more than 1500 Students from Grand Bahama and Abaco - EyeWitness News - November 23rd, 2019
- Boris Johnson's Tories handed 1million by billionaire tycoon based in Bahamas - Mirror Online - November 23rd, 2019
- The Bahamas | History, Geography, & Points of Interest ... - November 21st, 2019
- ActiveVideo Rolls Its Cloud-based Service to Cable Bahamas - Multichannel News - November 21st, 2019
- Men's basketball looks to gain tournament experience in Bahamas - GW Hatchet - November 21st, 2019
- Hurricane Dorian Responsible for $3.4 Billion in Losses on Bahamas, Report Says - The Weather Channel - November 21st, 2019
- Why Cruise Lines Are Expanding Ties to the Bahamas and Caribbean - TravelPulse - November 21st, 2019
- Carnival Corporation Signs Agreement With the Bahamas to Fund and Support Restoration of Rand Memorial Hospital Following Hurricane Dorian -... - November 21st, 2019
- Adrian Mateos, Christopher Brammer, and Daniel Dvoress Win Big in The Bahamas - PokerNews.com - November 21st, 2019